Recycling

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
According to CBC news, only 11% of plastics in Canada get recycled.  
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Canada's major grocery chains slow to tackle the mounting problem of plastic waste

Give Peas A Chance…
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited January 2019
    Over here 40 % of the plastic is recycled. Countries should compete on how well they recycle:) world championships in recycling. 
    Post edited by Annafalk on
    Annafalk said:
    Over here 40 % of the plastic is recycled. Countries should compete on how well they recycle:) world championships in recycling. 
    40% is much better, but we need to do better.  Would you not say?

A grocery in England is well on it's way to eliminating plastics.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2019
    nvm
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    The rumor here in KY is that we pay for recycling but they don't actually recycle instead they dump it at the landfill.  I've heard that's true of many places in the US.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
    Annafalk said:
    40% is much better, but we need to do better.  Would you not say?

A grocery in England is well on it's way to eliminating plastics.
    I agree we need to do so much better. It would be great if we didn’t produce so much plastic to begin with.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    They charge us to recycle here.  $80 for the container and an additional $15 on your garbage bill.  

So honestly i dont recycle on a weekly basis.  
    A lot of Canada's recyclables end up in Asia, and they burn most of it.  If we are not going to properly recycle then what's the point?  Seems like it's more to stoke our ego's that we are actually trying when in reality we just dump it on Asia's doorstep.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    One thing I’ve noticed about recycling in residential areas is that the garbage company sends out a whole separate fleet of vehicles to pick up recyclables. That has to have huge environment consequences in itself.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

They charge us to recycle here.  $80 for the container and an additional $15 on your garbage bill.  

So honestly i dont recycle on a weekly basis.  
    That’s incredible, there is so much oil and energy to save from recycle plastics, I believe this is the way we must go. I hope people support 
    companies who work for minimizing the usage of plastics.
    Personally, the report that CBC did back up what I kind of suspected, all those recycling bins are there for is so people can feel good.  If we going to only recycle 11% then we might as well park the recycling trucks, having extra diesel trucks on the road is likely is emitting unnecessary emissions, for what 11%.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF6GfqG-IQE

This is why we need to find an alternative to plastics and up our recycling game.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Germanys new law for the recycling of one way plastic bottles is a joke. Just my own opinion. 

So we have that recycling system for one way plastic bottles and beverage cans for carbonated drinks/water etc. since years now, but there are still exceptions that are completely nonsense. 
    Since the new year there are more cans and bottles that we have to pay for but the bottles for fruit juices for example are still not going to that system. 
    There could be done so much more. Some one way plastic articles will be not allowed here anymore but it needs two more years till it's finally out of the shops. Why are they not doing more? 
    Money of course. 
    It's a farce… we have to get rid off of all these plastic bags and stuff. We are talking since years and years about it. 
    But we will pay the price for it. I think sooner than later. Nature already does. 

At the end of that video above they say " It's time to make sure it never happens again!" Right, but well this whale is not the only one that already struggles with our waste and brainlessness. 
    It's not in the future anymore. IT HAPPENS ALREADY!
    kce8 said:
    Germanys new law for the recycling of one way plastic bottles is a joke. Just my own opinion. 

So we have that recycling system for one way plastic bottles and beverage cans for carbonated drinks/water etc. since years now, but there are still exceptions that are completely nonsense. 
    Since the new year there are more cans and bottles that we have to pay for but the bottles for fruit juices for example are still not going to that system. 
    There could be done so much more. Some one way plastic articles will be not allowed here anymore but it needs two more years till it's finally out of the shops. Why are they not doing more? 
    Money of course. 
    It's a farce… we have to get rid off of all these plastic bags and stuff. We are talking since years and years about it. 
    But we will pay the price for it. I think sooner than later. Nature already does. 

At the end of that video above they say " It's time to make sure it never happens again!" Right, but well this whale is not the only one that already struggles with our waste and brainlessness. 
    It's not in the future anymore. IT HAPPENS ALREADY!
    And if we stopped creating plastics and used alternatives, think how much oil gets left in the ground.  You bare right, single use plastic needs to be banned.  But, it needs to be a global effort.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Something else that people need to do is quit buying is stupid shit from the dollar stores.  My gawd people love to buy junk that undoubtedly ends up in the landfills within a year of purchase.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Something else that people need to do is quit buying is stupid shit from the dollar stores.  My gawd people love to buy junk that undoubtedly ends up in the landfills within a year of purchase.
    Exactly! And you know if you pay cheap for a product you will have to buy it twice!

We are collecting our trash in four different garbage bins plus collecting one-way and more-way bottles, also old glas and hazardous materials in ever household. We are used to it. Every start is hard but after a while it's just normal to do. 
    Germany gets his laughs from other countries regularly if it's about recycling or whatever environmental tries for making a difference. We are failing massive with some stuff. Like we also sold recycling plastic to China and most people didn't know. What a shame! 
    But we also do some good things and it's better than doing nothing! 
    The world needs people to do their best. I get that most countries can't do much because it's expensive to recycle and we can't but our systems into other countries, but everybody can do something. 
    If just people would stop being so selfish and just would care. 
    I try to buy as much as I can in Shops to reduce packaging materials again, I don't use plastic bags anymore, try to use glass bottles, stopped buying plastic household stuff, safe water and power as much as I can etc. Just the usual easy stuff that a lot of people don't care about. It already makes a difference especially when we all do it. :smile:

• Something else that people need to do is quit buying is stupid shit from the dollar stores.  My gawd people love to buy junk that undoubtedly ends up in the landfills within a year of purchase.
    Countries, some who are seeing themselves as the greatest, could also start to catch up and modernize themselves:

Swedish people produce about the same amount of waste per year as other Europeans but, remarkably, less than 1% of household trash ends up in landfills. This is in part due to the 32 waste-to-energy (WTE) plants that have been set up across the country. These plants incinerate over two million tons of trash annually—almost 50% of the waste produced by the country—and have been in operation for years, according to the Huffington Post.

Of course, Sweden still recycles whatever it can, but anything that can’t be reused or recycled normally ends up at these WTE plants. As the name suggests, the garbage doesn’t go to waste but is used to generate energy. WTE plants contain huge incinerators for the trash. As it’s burnt, steam is produced that spins generator turbines which produce electricity. This is then transferred to transmission lines and distributed across the country by a grid.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Countries, some who are seeing themselves as the greatest, could also start to catch up and modernize themselves:

Swedish people produce about the same amount of waste per year as other Europeans but, remarkably, less than 1% of household trash ends up in landfills. This is in part due to the 32 waste-to-energy (WTE) plants that have been set up across the country. These plants incinerate over two million tons of trash annually—almost 50% of the waste produced by the country—and have been in operation for years, according to the Huffington Post.

Of course, Sweden still recycles whatever it can, but anything that can’t be reused or recycled normally ends up at these WTE plants. As the name suggests, the garbage doesn’t go to waste but is used to generate energy. WTE plants contain huge incinerators for the trash. As it’s burnt, steam is produced that spins generator turbines which produce electricity. This is then transferred to transmission lines and distributed across the country by a grid.

WTE is a pretty good option, but does simply make solid waste air pollution as well, but controls exist to minimze impact. That said, not everything sent to WTE is actually beneficial. Many times they are blending items with lots of energy potential with energy suckers (things that actually use more energy to burn then they generate). Still better but would be even better to takenit to the next steps - reducing use, reusing and recycling. WTE is kinda like the 1st step from landfilling.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    This!

I was just reading this article a bit earlier:

Hemp plastic is the answer!  It blows my mind that we aren't moving more rapidly to the use of hemp plastics.  It can't happen soon enough!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    This!

Hemp plastic is the answer!  It blows my mind that we aren't moving more rapidly to the use of hemp plastics.  It can't happen soon enough!

Yes, plus paper (I must have used a tree worth of paper that my lawyer had me sign in my latest real estate transaction), clothes and on and on.  I am such a fan of Cannabis and Hemp.  It's coming, Brian, Hemp is legal in the US.  Cannabis will be legal in the US in all states someday.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    brianlux said:
    This!

Yes, plus paper (I must have used a tree worth of paper that my lawyer had me sign in my latest real estate transaction), clothes and on and on.  I am such a fan of Cannabis and Hemp.  It's coming, Brian, Hemp is legal in the US.  Cannabis will be legal in the US in all states someday.
    Yes!  :plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.