Options

Environmental Vandals😠

rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
edited December 2018 in A Moving Train
Our rivers are dying from water theft. This is what our rivers down south are suffering from cotton farmers in the north stealing water and damming our river systems so they dont flow. 
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155895368071500&id=701356499
Post edited by rhanishane on

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2018
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    edited December 2018
    Bummer. rhanishane.  Rivers really do take a big hit environmentally.  Dams are a horrible idea.  They should be removed.  Diverting large amounts of water is a horrible idea.  Here in the US, the Colorado river once flowed to the sea at the Gulf of California as it should.  Today it does this:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Bummer. rhanishane.  Rivers really do take a big hit environmentally.  Dams are a horrible idea.  They should be removed.  Diverting large amounts of water is a horrible idea.  Here in the US, the Colorado river once flowed to the sea at the Gulf of California as it should.  Today it does this:

Disgusting I'm at a loss. The government is not listening. When cubby station went up for sale it had Australian tenders to buy it but they sold to the chinese instead. We cant sustain cotton farming its a joke!!
    We dont benefit from it. 
    Same with the proposed Adani mine its Indian ffs. The jobs created will never out way the environmental damage it will cause. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Disgusting I'm at a loss. The government is not listening. When cubby station went up for sale it had Australian tenders to buy it but they sold to the chinese instead. We cant sustain cotton farming its a joke!!
    We dont benefit from it. 
    Same with the proposed Adani mine its Indian ffs. The jobs created will never out way the environmental damage it will cause. 
    What a bummer.  I'm sorry to hear that. 

Damn dams!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

We dont benefit from it. 
    What a bummer.  I'm sorry to hear that. 

Damn dams!
    probably contributed to the California wildfires as our states are in drought as well and bushfires rampant. 
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2328158203870482&id=125982670754724
    I hope the world is watching! 😠 shame the fuck out of these scum bag governments.. 
  • Options
    I hope the world is watching! 😠 shame the fuck out of these scum bag governments.. 
    The guy who responded "Hemp!" has a great idea there!

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Humans are just selfish and destructive people, unfortunately.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    In the US a single person is NOT allowed to alter the waterways, so a cotton farmer can't go and build a damn.

The Gov't though, has the authority to do this...
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    brianlux said:
    Unfortunately china owns cubby station the biggest cotton growing farm in the southern hemishere the water storage is as big as sydney harbour. Money talks they wont release any water especially in the drought. Fertiliser run off is causing the blue green algae and suffocating the remaining waters that are stagnant and not flowing. Everyone knows hemp is better suited here but that would make too much sense😕
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    imagine the stench watch the vid at the bottom of the story. Jeremy is one politician that is at least doing his best to help i couldn't do what he just did😷
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2275211902497985&id=791925860826604
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Unfortunately china owns cubby station the biggest cotton growing farm in the southern hemishere the water storage is as big as sydney harbour. Money talks they wont release any water especially in the drought. Fertiliser run off is causing the blue green algae and suffocating the remaining waters that are stagnant and not flowing. Everyone knows hemp is better suited here but that would make too much sense😕
    Yes, it is frustrating that humans too often do not do what makes sense. 

What it comes down to (for better or worse) is that the bottom line, the thing that motivates more people than not, is money.  When investors start to realize just how much potential for making money there is in hemp, it will happen.  I wish it would happen because it is the right thing to do, but if it takes the lure of money to make it happen, then let it be so. 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Yes, it is frustrating that humans too often do not do what makes sense. 

What it comes down to (for better or worse) is that the bottom line, the thing that motivates more people than not, is money.  When investors start to realize just how much potential for making money there is in hemp, it will happen.  I wish it would happen because it is the right thing to do, but if it takes the lure of money to make it happen, then let it be so. 
    Too late when the main arterial river system in eastern Australia is dead. We're an enormous land mass with huge river system. Heads are going to roll over this... we have another week coming with over 40degree temps so there goes millions  more native fish. Stupid government is in hiding on this and stands firm its the drought. They will have no choice but to call a royal commission as corruption is already surfacing they went against warnings.