The Sopranos-the greatest TV show ever?

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    IT'S NOT A NURSING HOME! IT'S A RETIREMENT COMMUNITY!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    edited January 2019
    EB218946 said:
    Wow AJ hasn't aged a bit.
    Tony Sirico still has the silver wings.
    Sad that James is not there.

Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    AJ and every kid he associated with still SUCKS as does the Vito storyline. 

Other than that, it’s been a pleasure rewatching. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Best drama series ever. 
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    been hooked on the podcast about sopranos called podabing. https://podabing.show/
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod.....this can't be as good as the trailer can it? Can it??? Goosebumps at the end....

https://youtu.be/dHa95iy2lF0
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod.....this can't be as good as the trailer can it? Can it??? Goosebumps at the end....

That looks bitchin'.  Crazy to see his son there and the many thoughts that bounced around while watching made that a lot of fun.
    Not sure it could possibly live up to the original -- never know -- but it looks really good based on that.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Vera Famiglia as Liva really kinda looks like Carmela. I bet that was not a coincidence. The eyes especially. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Frank Lucas plays a role in it?
    [Love the depiction of Bumpy Johnson in Godfather of Harlem and he was Lucas' mentor]

Young versions of Carm, Uncle Jun, Paulie, Sylvio, his bitch on wheels mother Livia, we get to meet Dickie.  Big Pussy?
    Good actors shown....

This is going to be interesting.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    What a schill
    I know. Amazon owes me some money!
    LOL. I did actually subscribe to Amazon Prime some time ago, and jesus does it ever encourage spending more money than you need to. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

guess it's time to actually sit and watch this thing. really should have done this in peak covid time. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

guess it's time to actually sit and watch this thing. really should have done this in peak covid time. 
    I would say this is the perfect time leading up to the movie. I'll be doing a rewatch in the coming months as well
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I just can't justify binge watching anything at the beginning of summer. I am off for 4 weeks total, but 3 of those at the beach. i'll start it up in the fall. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I will get the channel just for this.

I thought that WAS Carmela and also, wow, stellar casting for Tony. Duh!
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Hearing James’ voice at the beginning gave me chills. I can’t wait to see this
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Thinking about it, I wish it was a series and we could get more but it is likely more promising as a movie, as far as living up to what fans hope it could be/feel like.

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    edited June 2021
    hedonist said:

I will get the channel just for this.

I thought that WAS Carmela and also, wow, stellar casting for Tony. Duh!
    I knew it was supposed to be Livia, but was definitely thrown off by how much she resembled Carmela... Had no freaking clue that was Vera Farmiga when watching though... great makeup / wardrobe going on there. 

Can't wait for this movie, the trailer looked great. 

IMO some of the original series hasn't aged well, but overall it's definitely one of the best TV series to date. (not necessarily talking about content, some of the production aspects of the 1st season are clunky AF - television production has come a long way in 20+ years) 

Someone upthread mentioned the Wire - I finally started watching, and am about to wrap up S2. So far it's fantastic - dated in some aspects, but a really well done show. If you like the Sopranos, definitely give the wire a good chance. 
    I've been waiting for the movie since Moses wore short pants, which is one of Uncle Junior's one-liners.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937

It looks really good....HBO might knock it out of the park
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I've been waiting for the movie since Moses wore short pants, which is one of Uncle Junior's one-liners.
    Your father never had the makings of a varsity athlete. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

Next time you come in, you come in heavy or not at all

Next time you come in, you come in heavy or not at all

Take it easy we're not making a Western here.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    First review is pretty positive

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-04/many-saints-of-newark-review-hbo-nails-tony-soprano-prequel

Tony Soprano Lives! HBO Finally Nails a Spinoff With Chase Prequel

The Many Saints of Newark fleshes out how the man got made.

August 4, 2021, 4:42 AM EDT
    Michael Gandolfini Jamess son plays the young Tony Soprano

Michael Gandolfini, James’s son, plays the young Tony Soprano.

back. He’s been spotted by multiple witnesses on the leafy streets of suburban New Jersey, sneaking cigarettes and hijacking a Mister Softee ice cream truck.

Try not to pass out from excitement.

On Oct. 1, The Many Saints of Newark, a feature-length prequel to The Sopranos, will make its debut in theaters.

Over the course of the original HBO series’ 86 episodes, Tony Soprano, played brilliantly by the late James Gandolfini, emerged as one of the most influential characters in the history of American television: a middle-aged, SUV-driving, jaw-busting head of a New Jersey crime family who’s anxious about the future of his business and suffering from periodic panic attacks—often triggered by a proximity to red meat.

relates to Tony Soprano Lives HBO Finally Nails a Spinoff With Chase Prequel
    A dinner scene in The Many Saints of Newark.
     finale, sitting in a Jersey diner, munching on onion rings and listening to Journey on the jukebox when the camera cut to black silence midsong, midscene. The unresolved ending touched off howls of confusion from viewers who demanded to know what had just happened. Had Tony been whacked? It didn’t help that David Chase, the show’s darkly humorous, gnomic creator, declined to spell things out any further.

With The Many Saints of Newark, HBO superfans have reason to be skeptical: When it comes to spinoffs and sequels, nobody would confuse HBO with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. From the cheesy Sex and the City movies, the embarrassing Entourage film, and the bewildering Deadwood feature, the network’s world-expanding potential has often fizzled.

Director Alan Taylor and creator/writer/producer David Chase on the set.
    Photographer: Barry Wetcher

Not this time. Over two action-packed hours, Chase and co-writer Lawrence Konner sketch out much of the Soprano family roots in America. The movie begins in the titular city in 1967, where young Tony (William Ludwig) is a dough-faced little hellion who gets suspended from school for running a gambling ring.

With his father away in prison, he falls deeper under the spell of Dickie Moltisanti (Alessandro Nivola), a member of the DiMeo crime family who runs the local numbers racket. As tensions rise between Newark’s Black and Italian residents, the Mafia’s hold on its illicit enterprises is tenuous. One night, Tony looks out his window, and his neighborhood is on fire.

From left: Billy Magnussen as Paulie Walnuts, Jon Bernthal as Johnny Soprano, Corey Stoll as Junior Soprano (in back), John Magaro as Silvio Dante, Ray Liotta as “Hollywood Dick” Moltisanti, and Alessandro Nivola as Dickie Moltisanti.
    Photographer: Barry Wetcher

Following the Newark riots, the Soprano family decamps to the suburbs, and the movie jumps forward to the 1970s. Tony, now a teenager (played by Michael Gandolfini, son of James), is a linebacker on his high school football team. Things at home are rocky, and as he wavers between a future life as a “civilian” or one in crime, Tony turns to Dickie for guidance. But Harold McBrayer (Leslie Odom Jr.), one of Moltisanti’s former employees, decides to seize control of Newark’s numbers racket, and a war erupts. Tony’s shot at a straight life gets caught up in the carnage.

hase also gives some entertaining glimpses of favorite Sopranos characters, including Paulie “Walnuts” Gualtieri (Billy Magnussen), Corrado “Junior” Soprano (Corey Stoll), and Silvio Dante (John Magaro). Along the way, they unleash plenty of snappy head-cracking among the gangsters, their associates, wives, and girlfriends. Before it’s all over, there’s a surprising plot twist guaranteed to leave Sopranos Kremlinologists in a tizzy.

One of the movie’s ironies is that on the same day The Many Saints of Newark opens in theaters, it will also be available for free on the premium version of HBO Max—part of AT&T’s broader effort to lure more subscribers using Warner Bros. feature films as bait.

And yet for decades, throughout his successful career as a TV writer, Chase wanted nothing more than to leave the small screen and create movies that ticket-paying customers would experience communally in a hushed and darkened theater.

Now, AT&T has gone and jammed the return of the outsize Soprano clan back into home television sets. Just when Chase thought he was out of TV, they pulled him back in.

chinese-happy.jpg
    That just amped up my excitement. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    In the middle of a Sopranos re-watch.  What a show!  The characters are just incredible...Chrissy and Paulie are pure comedy.  There are some rough episodes like the Columbus Day one...that was painful to get through.  And some of the dream sequences are a bit much but I'm loving it.  I think it's my 4th time through and first time in 5-6 years.  Will line up nicely with the movie coming in the fall.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Christopher is the best character on the show 
    In the middle of a Sopranos re-watch.  What a show!  The characters are just incredible...Chrissy and Paulie are pure comedy.  There are some rough episodes like the Columbus Day one...that was painful to get through.  And some of the dream sequences are a bit much but I'm loving it.  I think it's my 4th time through and first time in 5-6 years.  Will line up nicely with the movie coming in the fall.
    Nice man. I am getting towards the end of season 2. Just watched the D Girl episode. I think The Jacket is up next. Love that one. Fucking Richie Aprile was such a great villain. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Nice man. I am getting towards the end of season 2. Just watched the D Girl episode. I think The Jacket is up next. Love that one. Fucking Richie Aprile was such a great villain. 
    Been awhile, but I love the scenes when Livia comes down the stairs in that slow seat machine while Crazy Eyes Richie and Janice are fighting. (and then the final boom)

Pine Barrens is one of my all-time favorites. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    Richie was easily one of my favorite characters... him & Gloria Trillo, I love every scene those two are in.