Top 3 things you would like to see/do before this ride is all over

13»

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    NWOntario said:
    PJNB said:
    NWOntario said:
    All I want at this point is to see as many Pearl Jam shows as possible. The other band I used to follow on tour was the Tragically Hip; we never know when it's gonna come to a sudden halt, and after their last tour I vowed never to complain about another Pearl Jam setlist as long as I live as long as I can keep seeing them in concert.
    Great way of thinking! That is why I took 7 shows in last year. You really never know but I hope for at least 10 more great years from these guys. 
    I spent a lot of time complaining about Hip setlists. What I would give right now to hear the worst, most phoned-in Tragically Hip setlist of all-time.
    With nothing east of Ontario and having to work during the last show I really regret not making the effort to see one last concert from them. Saw them a bunch of times in the 90's but never after that. I use them to as a reason to do as much as I can to see Pearl Jam. Did you get to see any shows from the final tour? 
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Have the surviving members of The Tragically Hip been doing anything since the end of the band? I don't know all that much about them really.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    Have the surviving members of The Tragically Hip been doing anything since the end of the band? I don't know all that much about them really.
    They've been dealing with the business of the band, since of course their sales surged, and I'm sure they've got some retrospective merch and music to release, but nothing new musically as far as I know. I think they need more time than this to sort their heads out and rethink their worlds. They must be absolutely fucking devastated.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    I've been lucky in my 29 shows over almost 25 years to see a lot of great ones and got to cross off 2 bucket list items the last 2 years. But for right now...
    1. See Brother performed live
    2. all acoustic show at the Ryman
    3. Red Rocks or the Gorge
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Lots of crazy talk about it all ending soon. I think they have a lot left to give. What are your top things you still would love to see from this band. 

1. Hearing Hard To Imagine and Parting Ways. My wife's white whale and my white whale. Both songs that we enjoy a lot together. 
    2. Seeing them play at Red Rocks or The Gorge
    3. Seeing them play at MSG and Philly on the same tour

I almost pulled off #3 in 2016. I got Philly on the 29th. Good enough for me.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    I'm not sure I could even come up with three. For the longest time it was Fenway. My bucket list venue to see them play. Then it happened four times in three years. Love this band.

Sell all my PJ shit before it goes in a landfill, lol.

I really wanted Bugs and got that.

Last one for me is to get Of The Girl.  Only song I'm chasing now.
    JimmyV said:
    I'm not sure I could even come up with three. For the longest time it was Fenway. My bucket list venue to see them play. Then it happened four times in three years. Love this band.

JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

I was contemplating just that thought. Selling all my shit or what to do with it. I don’t know if anyone will appreciate or collect this stuff in the future. I enjoy it for now so, no plans on selling anytime soon but, the inevitable will arrive, then what?
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    PJNB said:
    NWOntario said:
    PJNB said:
    NWOntario said:
    All I want at this point is to see as many Pearl Jam shows as possible. The other band I used to follow on tour was the Tragically Hip; we never know when it's gonna come to a sudden halt, and after their last tour I vowed never to complain about another Pearl Jam setlist as long as I live as long as I can keep seeing them in concert.
    Great way of thinking! That is why I took 7 shows in last year. You really never know but I hope for at least 10 more great years from these guys. 
    I spent a lot of time complaining about Hip setlists. What I would give right now to hear the worst, most phoned-in Tragically Hip setlist of all-time.
    With nothing east of Ontario and having to work during the last show I really regret not making the effort to see one last concert from them. Saw them a bunch of times in the 90's but never after that. I use them to as a reason to do as much as I can to see Pearl Jam. Did you get to see any shows from the final tour? 
    How should I put this...
    When the tour went on sale I explained to my then-girlfriend/now-wife that I'd planned on growing old with the Hip and, like, seeing them play acoustic shows at Massey when they were in their 70s, but that in light of developments I was gonna take all the money I'd have spent on those gigs and paying it forward to myself. In the end I saw five shows on the tour: Calgary #1, the three Toronto shows and, because somewhere along the line I accrued some pretty wicked ticket karma, Kingston. They were absolutely magical; Calgary/Toronto 2/Kingston were some of the greatest nights in my life as a music fan. My wife saw her first two full Hip shows on that last tour, which was also a wonderful thing to be a part of. She ended up hearing "Toronto #4" live more times than "New Orleans is Sinking." ;)
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    They've been doing the odd thing here and there - I saw Rob Baker play in a backing band for a wonderful jazz singer named Miss Emily last year - and they've also been busy getting absolutely loaded by investing in marijuana. I believe they've made more money from marijuana than from their record sales (seriously).
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    NWOntario said:
    They've been doing the odd thing here and there - I saw Rob Baker play in a backing band for a wonderful jazz singer named Miss Emily last year - and they've also been busy getting absolutely loaded by investing in marijuana. I believe they've made more money from marijuana than from their record sales (seriously).
    Oh, good. I hadn't heard Rob was playing with anyone.
    Hahaha, that's right, the new cannabis industry. They are almost hilariously into that. That'll set them up for life if the band didn't already!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,530
    edited January 2019
    1.  See the band for 3-4 shows at red rocks, the gorge, arenas out west
    2.  Hear a bunch of songs from Binaural and Riot Act
    3.  Be within the first few rows in GA once to catch a pick from Mike. Preferably one used during a song  ;)
    Post edited by iOnlyownMymind on
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    NWOntario said:
    PJNB said:
    NWOntario said:
    Re The Hip, I saw Toronto 2 in 16 which was my first time since many 90s shows.  I also saw the live telecast of Kingston, which was the same night as Wrigley 1 16 and Ed acknowledged The Hip's final show that night, which shows how PJ understands the world around them.

In terms of three things for me, I'll pick specific songs as this matters to me more than location:

1. PJ cover a Hip song such as Courage;
    2. Society;
    3. Orpheum version of Immortality (Fenway 2 18 was close but not the same I don't think).
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 754
    rummy said:
    Witnessing "Release" live is a must - arguably their most important song to hear live...Not too sure what I mean by "important" but hopefully you get my drift. I was over the moon when I saw it for the first time last summer in Seattle.
    First song at the first show I ever went to. Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto 1996.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I'm good at this point. If I don't see them again, it was a great ride. Anything additional going forward is a bonus. I've seen them in other states, I've seen them north of the border, I've them at Benaroya, at the Gorge, at the Showbox, etc... I've seen a bunch of the side projects and solo stuff. I know even if I don't ever see PJ again I'll see various band members doing things in clubs and venues around town. So no top 3 list for me. It could only lead to disappointment. I'm perfectly happy with the memories and experiences accumulated. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    lukemil33lukemil33 Vandalia, OH Posts: 231
     Honestly after seeing Chicago 1 and Boston 1 this year, I'm very satisfied. I found PJ in 2016 and can say they're my favorite band and I'm lucky to have even seen them live. Wrigley 1 just blew me away. It was incredible to finally be seeing the band I'd listened to for 2 years live. Boston 1 I heard 2 of the most important songs to me, Release and Daughter/It's Okay. Both shows were a great musical experience as well as a great experience with the fans. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I'm just so grateful I've had the chance to see them live. Between the hundreds of bootlegs and and the studio work they've done, I'm thankful for what they have given us. I'll be happy to just catch them live again, but here's my 3 things.

1. Be in GA once and be close enough to really see and feel the band.
    2. Follow the band/see 4 or 5 consecutive shows on a tour.
    3. See a full album show, preferably No Code or Vitalogy.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    1. A show with no covers.
    2. A show with absolutely no ed banter. Just music.
    3. An acoustic show that includes the above 2 requests.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,624
    1. A 10C only show in a small venue, preferably in some cool state or country that I haven't yet visited. 
    2. See them play this trilogy - DaughterBrother, My Father's Son,  just once.
    3. Meet Ed.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Not much left for me either.  Lucky to have seen quite a few great PJ shows.
    1. Nippon Budokan - Still kicking myself for not going in 2003
    2. A Broadway residency - half acoustic half electric (Jerry Garcia style)
    3. Annual July 4th concert someplace like the gorge or red rocks. Big ole party with PJ as the house band.
    A man can dream.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,836
    ponytd said:
    2. all acoustic show at the Ryman

:flushed: