TEN CLUB - Analog Suggestion Box

2»

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited January 2019
    I think ‘meet and greets’ would last for about 3 shows into a tour before the band got sick of having to talk to some of the weirdos in here! :lol:  

If the analog option continues, I really don’t want it to be just for the privilege of being able to buy something else (eg $50 international membership just for the privilege of paying for an already-expensive vault vinyl). We shouldn’t be handing over more money just for the option of handing over even more money. I don’t know what they could offer as a gift that would replace the vinyl; the t-shirt and DEEP (is that even still a thing?) are not enough to justify the cost.

Whatever they do now, it’s impossible for them to please everyone (and yes, they put themselves in this position). I’d probably be happy if there was only a digital option now, to be honest. 
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 335
    edited January 2019
    yeah, the vinyl was the only reason to be analog, i'm hoping we'll hear something in this months newsletter, but i won't hold my breath... maybe they'll just change the name from analog to digital plus? nothing can replace the vinyl in my opinion... 
    Post edited by my_wave on
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • Fuck Meet and Greet. A band taking cash from fans for an photo-op and a signed photo or whatever is just weird and a bit tacky.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • my_wave said:
    yeah, the vinyl was the only reason to be analog, i'm hoping we'll hear something in this months newsletter, but i won't hold my breath... maybe they'll just change the name from analog to digital plus? nothing can replace the vinyl in my opinion... 
    Agree. That was the point behind the name "analog".
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Fuck Meet and Greet. A band taking cash from fans for an photo-op and a signed photo or whatever is just weird and a bit tacky.
    you know, I have to agree with you. I did two meet and greets last year. i always swore I'd never do it unless there was something worthwhile about it. For Big Wreck, it was access to the soundcheck. For Headstones, it was for the opportunity to finally meet Hugh Dillon (and soundcheck too). 

They each cost me north of $100. 

And I most likely won't do it again for any band. 

Big Wreck's was a highly staged 2 song set of songs not being played at that night's show (the actual sound check was done while we all waited behind closed doors in the lobby). It was more performance than soundcheck. And then the meet and greet portion was a 2 second pic with the band after waiting in line for 30 minutes. 

Headstones was slightly better, seemed to be more off the cuff, but I think it was designed to look/feel that way, all the while being just as staged/organized like BW's was. All in all, I got to meet Hugh, shook his hand, said about two words (that fucker is addicted to his phone) and then we were out the door. Luckily I had met all of the rest of the main band before and have hung out, so it wasn't a total loss. But it still seemed a bit much. I mean, my buddy and I paid $100 each for the meet. But when it came time for the meet and photo, they were asking people who were together. You'd think we would have gotten our own pics with the band. I was cool with it, as he's my best friend, but still. 

I get it that the band simply does not have the time to spend 10 minutes with each person that pays for the meet. But at least have the group hang out and maybe have a Q&A or something. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I dont know.  Maybe just a simple 're-structuring' is fine.  I think the lack of the single completely imbalances the price levels between analog and digital and it makes no sense now without changes.

I do not need to, nor want to be pampered.  However, if they continue with Analog at $40, I am going to need something equivalent of a fan club single to continue on that tier.  

IMO this is a good opportunity to scrap everything and re-do the membership fee(s) and package(s).  Can even go ultra simplistic if they want.  

I think they do not have a plan yet, but rightly felt the need to rush out the notification before 2019 got going and people dropped money on a 2019 single that would not exist.  
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    edited January 2019
    There has to be a rework of the tiers and I'm betting we will know in a few days. Its easy to be cynical here, but I can't see 10c charging $40 for a shirt and maybe a newsletter and think "this is an option many people want so we will keep analog and digital".

TBH, I think we are gonna see a $20-$25 single fanclub rate. essentially Digital. No Deep Magazine, No X-mas Single. Just a bootleg code annually, ticket access, and random digital surprises (random singles or live tracks, videos). If people have already paid up for 2019 analog, you'll be able to get a downgrade and a refund.

Ultimately, I think a TMR similar Vault Analog membership would be best if they want to keep a Ticket access tier and a physical vinyl + tickets access tier. Even if its once a year. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited January 2019
    MayDay10 said:
    I dont know.  Maybe just a simple 're-structuring' is fine.  I think the lack of the single completely imbalances the price levels between analog and digital and it makes no sense now without changes.

I do not need to, nor want to be pampered.  However, if they continue with Analog at $40, I am going to need something equivalent of a fan club single to continue on that tier.  

IMO this is a good opportunity to scrap everything and re-do the membership fee(s) and package(s).  Can even go ultra simplistic if they want.  

I think they do not have a plan yet, but rightly felt the need to rush out the notification before 2019 got going and people dropped money on a 2019 single that would not exist.  
    I'd go for ultra-simplistic.
    $10 a year and all we get are ticket access, access to member only items and the forum. Nothing really expected from 10c and for $10 no one would complain they aren't getting what they paid for. The vinyl is gone, so get rid of the shirt and Deep that most don't care for anyway and make it simple.
    I can't picture them dropping the price, that's just my opinion what it should be. I also can't picture them sustaining this fanclub if they charge $20 and only play a handful of shows every few years if tickets are the only benefit.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    There has to be a rework of the tiers and I'm betting we will know in a few days. Its easy to be cynical here, but I can't see 10c charging $40 for a shirt and maybe a newsletter and think "this is an option many people want so we will keep analog and digital".

TBH, I think we are gonna see a $20-$25 single fanclub rate. essentially Digital. No Deep Magazine, No X-mas Single. Just a bootleg code annually, ticket access, and random digital surprises (random singles or live tracks, videos). If people have already paid up for 2019 analog, you'll be able to get a downgrade and a refund.
    yes, I also imagine that anyone who paid analog will eventually get a refund of some kind. hopefully they don't do a store/club credit. I'm guessing the same, that Deep is going to go the way of the dodo as well. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• CobCob Posts: 857
    It's pretty obvious from the message they sent that they have no interest in doing anything else to replace it, what my suggestion was, was for them to just give you a bootleg code once a year on your re-newal and you could download whatever bootleg you want, Digital should be given an mp3 copy, Analog the actual CD, but it will never happen as it is pretty apparent at this point that they have no interest in continuing to be bothered by something they are already 2 years behind on.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2019

yes, I also imagine that anyone who paid analog will eventually get a refund of some kind. hopefully they don't do a store/club credit. I'm guessing the same, that Deep is going to go the way of the dodo as well. 
    I am certain DEEP is going away. I'm shocked it didn't go away before the vinyl, 

Always thought we waited for the vinyls because of the DEEPs taking time to put together.?

Must be fun as hell to put it together for the Art Director etc. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • silvosilvo Posts: 283
    As an analog member the whole point of it for me was an exclusive vinyl. As others have noted, they seem to manage getting the vaults pressed okay each year so i'm guessing it's more the issue of getting the band together to organise is the problem. As a keen vinyl collector and the fact that it was always something I looked forward to, more for the physical aspect of the 7" than what it actually contained I would love to see something similar continue. One idea I had was for them to continue to release an annual 7", however this would simply contain album tracks that have not previously been released as a physical vinyl single. For example, the first one could be Black/Why Go, etc. etc. I would be more than happy with this to add to the collection and even if they came in generic epic style sleeves like the Vitalogy singles they would be unique and cool.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    silvo said:
    As an analog member the whole point of it for me was an exclusive vinyl. As others have noted, they seem to manage getting the vaults pressed okay each year so i'm guessing it's more the issue of getting the band together to organise is the problem. As a keen vinyl collector and the fact that it was always something I looked forward to, more for the physical aspect of the 7" than what it actually contained I would love to see something similar continue. One idea I had was for them to continue to release an annual 7", however this would simply contain album tracks that have not previously been released as a physical vinyl single. For example, the first one could be Black/Why Go, etc. etc. I would be more than happy with this to add to the collection and even if they came in generic epic style sleeves like the Vitalogy singles they would be unique and cool.
    I collect vinyl too, but only ones I play. This has zero interest to me. I'd never spin the single when I have the whole album.
    But like you said there doesnt seem a big problem with the vaults, so maybe pick 1 vault to release a few tracks at a time as the single. I'd stay analog if I knew in 10 years I'd have a "sevens" style album of a complete show.
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    I finally joined the Cherry Tree club for The National and got a scarf, patch, print, record tote, and a live record exclusively for the club for $50. I think we get ticket perks, too. I was on the fence about joining, but am really happy that I did. If they keep it up, I will continue my membership for a long time. I know The National is a smaller band, but it'd be great if PJ did something like this. If they don't, I'm fine with digital.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,084
    I finally joined the Cherry Tree club for The National and got a scarf, patch, print, record tote, and a live record exclusively for the club for $50. I think we get ticket perks, too. I was on the fence about joining, but am really happy that I did. If they keep it up, I will continue my membership for a long time. I know The National is a smaller band, but it'd be great if PJ did something like this. If they don't, I'm fine with digital.
    It's "easy" to come up with something cool but much harder to sustain it over 25+ years. Not sure how long The National have been doing it for?

I was pretty keen but theirs is $50 + $15 international surcharge. Too much for me, probably...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    on2legs said:
    Continued access to tickets.  Everything else is minimally important. 
    But you get that with digital. I thought this thread was about what would make analog still worth it?
    I thought that instead of going to a lottery, they should have done ticket sales by seniority to make it worthwhile for people to keep their membership going.  Now since they have stepped into the tiered system, I think we are headed toward much more expensive options.  $20 a year is nothing for ticket access if you go to shows regularly.  If they don't offer something, there isn't much reason for most people to pay the $40.
    If they did ticket sales by seniority literally no new members would be able to get tickets. That isn't workable or fair in any way, and it would pretty much completely stop them from ever getting any new members, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    Considering it's an "analog" membership, the benefit should be "analog," no?

I'm thinking the download codes should be:
    $9.99 off download
    OR
    Free MP3
    OR NEW OPTION
    $9.99 off vault vinyl.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    JT167846 said:
    I'd like a double/triple CD set of every track from the holiday singles available to members only as well as a vinyl box set option for those who so wish. Also maybe the option of prepaid posters you buy with 10C tickets. The only issue I could foresee is the dilemma of being on the rail or picking them up and I'm not sure if after gig pickups would be fair on the staff who would need to get home.

Back in 2009, they tried the option of poster presales with items shipped after the tour.

In 2013, they had a "buy all posters from the USA tour for face plus shipping."

For whatever reasons, these ideas were abandoned.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,084
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    But you get that with digital. I thought this thread was about what would make analog still worth it?
    I thought that instead of going to a lottery, they should have done ticket sales by seniority to make it worthwhile for people to keep their membership going.  Now since they have stepped into the tiered system, I think we are headed toward much more expensive options.  $20 a year is nothing for ticket access if you go to shows regularly.  If they don't offer something, there isn't much reason for most people to pay the $40.
    If they did ticket sales by seniority literally no new members would be able to get tickets. That isn't workable or fair in any way, and it would pretty much completely stop them from ever getting any new members, lol.
    It could be workable if it just increased your odds of getting tickets somehow. Like you got one entry in the lottery for each year of membership or something? Might still be weighted too heavily towards the real old timers but maybe not.

They (or I! 😁) could easily run simulations and analysis on their previous lottery entries to get an idea of what might work.

JT167846 said:
    I'd like a double/triple CD set of every track from the holiday singles available to members only as well as a vinyl box set option for those who so wish. Also maybe the option of prepaid posters you buy with 10C tickets. The only issue I could foresee is the dilemma of being on the rail or picking them up and I'm not sure if after gig pickups would be fair on the staff who would need to get home.

Back in 2009, they tried the option of poster presales with items shipped after the tour.

In 2013, they had a "buy all posters from the USA tour for face plus shipping."

For whatever reasons, these ideas were abandoned.
    If I had to guess, I would say some members abused it, somehow.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    They offer senior members of u2 s fan club first dibs on tickets.  The secret to making it work is to play more than seven us shows a year. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    They offer senior members of u2 s fan club first dibs on tickets.  The secret to making it work is to play more than seven us shows a year. 
    Haha, maybe so. I know that if 10C switched to such a system I'd absolutely walk away. It would really piss me off.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    my_wave said:

my_wave said:
    My feelings exactly.  With no analog vinyl single, the "Analog Membership" means nothing. 

Which leads me to wonder- were they really analog in the first place or vinyl pressed from a digital source?  Probably digital sourced, right?  Just curious because its kind of funny how many people assume vinyl=analog.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:
    my_wave said:

my_wave said:
    My feelings exactly.  With no analog vinyl single, the "Analog Membership" means nothing. 

Which leads me to wonder- were they really analog in the first place or vinyl pressed from a digital source?  Probably digital sourced, right?  Just curious because its kind of funny how many people assume vinyl=analog.  
    A high def digital master on vinyl is still better than a CD. 

only person Ive met who did analog all the way was a guy in a 50s rock and roll band that even recorded with equipment from the era. Everything was EXACTLY like it was in 195x Except for the tape which he said you cant find the exact same kind of. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    U2 does that, but it's not like it's by the exact time you joined.  They kind of break you up into 3 groups.  People who have been in the club for a long time (at least a few years), people who have been in it for a short while, and lastly people who joined up after the tour got announced.    It basically keeps people who only sign up for tickets from getting first crack.    It's vague enough I think it works well.   With PJ anyone can sign up last second (due to rumours and messages from 10c about keeping your membership up to date) and get GA tickets.

The U2 one doesn't differentiate people who have been in the club for 25 years vs someone for 5 years.   I think that's a good thing.