Cancel Auto-renew or membership completely?

I do not post much, but have been around for a while.  Last year I was contemplating going down to Digital, but decided to stick it through with Analog.  Literally in all my years being part of the Club (other than first year, when I got a poster, stickers, Mag, Tshirt, Vinyl and downloads) the only thing I have received in the last few years, are the Tshirt and downloads.  No mag, no swag, no vinyl.  I am in Canada, so I pay $50.00 a year.   Their last tours in Canada I ended up getting better seats through Ticket Master (last minute release of tickets at great value, amazing seats)  I stayed with Analog, hoping things would improve, but with the latest of non-existent vinyl being discontinued, I just do not want to be stuck with another really crappy TShirt (that DEEP one, was an embarrassment and ended up donating it to a thrift shop) and no hope of getting any vinyl (and have serious doubts I will ever see the one's that are owed)  I just do not understand the benefits of remaining in the "Club" anymore as the latest announcement was so vague, and really offered nothing in the way of information or even hope of better things to come.   Thinking about cancelling auto-renew, or even membership altogether now. Can someone please explain to me (be polite please as I am being serious)  Why I SHOULD remain a member?  (PS I no longer travel to shows outside Canada)  Maybe I am wrong, but I just am not feeling the "benefits" of any membership, nor do I feel any sort of "appreciation" from being in the once fantastic Club anymore.  Just my feeling and opinion. Thanks and Cheers,

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited January 2019
    Maybe just cancel your auto-renew for now.  Wait it out and see if there are any other changes to the membership levels that the benefits outweigh your wallet. If not, and you don't see any added benefits, you could cancel all together then.  I believe you still have a 90-day grace period to keep your number (but don't quote me on that) if you do decide to renew.  Ultimately, it's up to you and how you weigh cost vs. reward.
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    sxwxgirl1 said:
    I do not post much, but have been around for a while.  Last year I was contemplating going down to Digital, but decided to stick it through with Analog.  Literally in all my years being part of the Club (other than first year, when I got a poster, stickers, Mag, Tshirt, Vinyl and downloads) the only thing I have received in the last few years, are the Tshirt and downloads.  No mag, no swag, no vinyl.  I am in Canada, so I pay $50.00 a year.   Their last tours in Canada I ended up getting better seats through Ticket Master (last minute release of tickets at great value, amazing seats)  I stayed with Analog, hoping things would improve, but with the latest of non-existent vinyl being discontinued, I just do not want to be stuck with another really crappy TShirt (that DEEP one, was an embarrassment and ended up donating it to a thrift shop) and no hope of getting any vinyl (and have serious doubts I will ever see the one's that are owed)  I just do not understand the benefits of remaining in the "Club" anymore as the latest announcement was so vague, and really offered nothing in the way of information or even hope of better things to come.   Thinking about cancelling auto-renew, or even membership altogether now. Can someone please explain to me (be polite please as I am being serious)  Why I SHOULD remain a member?  (PS I no longer travel to shows outside Canada)  Maybe I am wrong, but I just am not feeling the "benefits" of any membership, nor do I feel any sort of "appreciation" from being in the once fantastic Club anymore.  Just my feeling and opinion. Thanks and Cheers,

This is a very good question.

Only reason for me to say yes at this point is we still get dibs on the posters. =)

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    Maybe just cancel your auto-renew for now.  Wait it out and see if there are any other changes to the membership levels that the benefits outweigh your wallet. If not, and you don't see any added benefits, you could cancel all together then.  I believe you still have a 90-day grace period to keep your number (but don't quote me on that) if you do decide to renew.  Ultimately, it's up to you and how you weigh cost vs. reward.

I cannot agree more.

Keep in mind during the grace period, you can keep your number, but you're not eligible for ticket sales. I'd imagine you're also not eligible for contests or exclusive sales.

Luckily, I don't renew for a few weeks. I'm currently still set to renew as analog, but obviously I'm also in the same "wait and see" boat.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Unless they announce something new and interesting to put in the analog package, I'll be downgrading to digital.  Luckily mine renews in October so I'll have plenty of time to see how it all turns out.

I've always had to travel to see PJ.  3.5 hours to Vancouver or 5ish to Seattle.  Luckily between the two there's something in the area every couple of years.   I'll keep my 10c membership for the tickets, but the analog perks w/o fan club single don't really interest me.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    I've set mine to auto-renew as digital in November. 
  • Maybe just cancel your auto-renew for now.  Wait it out and see if there are any other changes to the membership levels that the benefits outweigh your wallet. If not, and you don't see any added benefits, you could cancel all together then.  I believe you still have a 90-day grace period to keep your number (but don't quote me on that) if you do decide to renew.  Ultimately, it's up to you and how you weigh cost vs. reward.

I cannot agree more.

Keep in mind during the grace period, you can keep your number, but you're not eligible for ticket sales. I'd imagine you're also not eligible for contests or exclusive sales.

Luckily, I don't renew for a few weeks. I'm currently still set to renew as analog, but obviously I'm also in the same "wait and see" boat.
    Yes mine comes up for renewal again in 3 weeks...this is so disappointing that I even have to consider this.  I do not see them doing a tour again in Canada anytime soon, and to "Shop" on the site for special merch, the shipping is just way too expensive for me.(International Shipping rates to Canada)  Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way, I don't know, but paying the $50 and getting at least some decent swag was really nice. The hopes of eventually getting the Vinyl was an important part of that :( 
  • Zod said:
    Unless they announce something new and interesting to put in the analog package, I'll be downgrading to digital.  Luckily mine renews in October so I'll have plenty of time to see how it all turns out.

I've always had to travel to see PJ.  3.5 hours to Vancouver or 5ish to Seattle.  Luckily between the two there's something in the area every couple of years.   I'll keep my 10c membership for the tickets, but the analog perks w/o fan club single don't really interest me.

We're in the same boat (I'm coming from the interior to Van or Seattle... you're hopping on a ferry). I'm completely okay with travelling to see them- it's the only way I can (they aren't playing my home town).

Just prior to this announcement, I switched to digital given the obvious problems with the analog membership. I'll keep my membership active for at least one more show in Vancouver (have always gotten great tix).

The band is awesome. Like after every PJ show I see... I left Seattle completely enamored with them. And like always, the shine wore off after a while. This is the pattern for this band and me. I can accept this. They're not DMB for committing to tours every year, but they aren't completely inactive like Tool. They sit in the middle of the spectrum and that is fair. It is what it is.  
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Zod said:

I don't think you should complain about having to travel 5 hours for a show... 90% of all acts visiting Sweden go to Stockholm, which takes 5-6 hours to drive I guess and 3.5hours by train. 

When someone comes to Gothenburg though, 10 minute tram ride.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    agree with everything you said
    danny d
  • Zod said:

I don't think you should complain about having to travel 5 hours for a show... 90% of all acts visiting Sweden go to Stockholm, which takes 5-6 hours to drive I guess and 3.5hours by train. 

I don't think he was complaining. I think he was just describing his personal circumstances.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    I did the same as you on the drop for Toronto night 2 and got great seats. Much better than my 10 Club number would have gotten me. That said I love having access to GA as well as a chance at tickets to any show I want to go to. Ticketmaster is never a guarantee and drops are not either. I would much rather burn $25 CAD on a year of no touring on a digital membership then not be a member and strike out on the public sale and any late drops. I would then have to rely on the scalping market which is usually very expensive and a headache hoping your tickets are legit. Just my 2 cents and your position would obviously be different not seeing any shows outside of Canada. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2019
    Zod said:

I don't think he was complaining. I think he was just describing his personal circumstances.
    Should have put complaining in quotes. Didn't mean it in a disparaging way. Did not read it as complaining in a bad way.

I just wanted to bring myself into the discussion. Being in the centre a bit. I'm so lonely now after christmas and all.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    my membership renews on January 7.....no idea what im going to do
    edited January 2019
    Just renew it one more year. Don't play fast and loose with your membership.
  • I think many have been questioning the benefits since they dropped seniority seating.  If you've been a long standing member, the pros of being a member have been declining for years and this is the latest blow.  I switched to Digital for 2018 and will renew again this month for Digital again, but with very half-hearted enthusiasm,

I remember for years setting myself reminders, marking my calendar and legitimately stressing over the fear of my membership possibly lapsing.  No longer the case.

thats where im leaning, i have it on autorenew, just wish they included some details with their statement
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    I never use 10c for tickets and always get pretty good seats.  Then again its $20, access to limited merch, member exclusives, I'm keeping mine 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625

I think many have been questioning the benefits since they dropped seniority seating.  If you've been a long standing member, the pros of being a member have been declining for years and this is the latest blow.  I switched to Digital for 2018 and will renew again this month for Digital again, but with very half-hearted enthusiasm,

I remember for years setting myself reminders, marking my calendar and legitimately stressing over the fear of my membership possibly lapsing.  No longer the case.

There still is seniority seating though unless you mean the reserved floor seating to GA switch. 
    edited January 2019
    thats where im leaning, i have it on autorenew, just wish they included some details with their statement
    The Tenclub isn't shy of taking its fanbase for granted, when it comes to being transparent and sharing information about what the hell is happening. 

This isn't the first time. And I don't see signs of them taking strides to make it not happen in the future. Even with it being so easy. It's just a Macbook-Pro-keyboard-we-paid-for away.
  • Zod said:

Should have put complaining in quotes. Didn't mean it in a disparaging way. Did not read it as complaining in a bad way.

I just wanted to bring myself into the discussion. Being in the centre a bit. I'm so lonely now after christmas and all.
    All is good.
  • PJNB said:

I think many have been questioning the benefits since they dropped seniority seating.  If you've been a long standing member, the pros of being a member have been declining for years and this is the latest blow.  I switched to Digital for 2018 and will renew again this month for Digital again, but with very half-hearted enthusiasm,

There still is seniority seating though unless you mean the reserved floor seating to GA switch. 

I was referring to access to tickets.  I know if I am lucky enough to get 10C reserved that I am seated by seniority, but based on where I live (NY) it's been very difficult to get those seats.  I understand why they changed it and I've come to terms with it, but I miss the old days where I wasn't always getting shut out.

Anyway, that was just my personal example of when the 10C decline began for me.  My point was that combined with reduced touring, the poorly run 45 RPM program and now it's demise are all just part of a downward trend.  I don't feel like it's been particularly beneficial to be a member as it was in years past.

For the past 10 years or so, if you didn't win a ticket lottery, other than the vinyl single, what did you really get for being in the analog club?  Some magazines.  Digital bootleg codes.  Luggage tags.  Patches.  T-Shirts.  Opportunities to buy merchandise.

These aren't nothing, just for me pales in comparison to when I first joined.  They toured far more often and the 10C secured more tickets and I looked forward to the 45.  So now I'm left with the list above and the lottery game.  It's a bummer.

• NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Me too!
    Me too!
    hell yeah
    so....what are you going to do?
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    I don't know, I was hoping I would hear something before renewal time. 
    We still have a few days, hopefully we hear what's going on before we have to pay. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    My renewal is the 17th.  Changed to digital last year, sticking with it this year.  For an additional $15 I'll buy a bootleg and come out one lazy, crap design t-shirt less (that doesn't even say Pearl Jam on it) and $5 ahead for the year.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Zod said:

Thanks for defending me :)  I totally wasn't complaining.  I've spent most of my life living on this Island and completely used to travelling for bigger concerts.  If anything I feel pretty lucky having 2 places within 5 hours that PJ plays at with regularity.   Best places are probably the Pacific northwest and northern midwest/eastern USA to be a PJ fan.  As long as your willing to travel a little :)
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011

Exactly. My auto-renew is due in May, but I've turned it off, and after being a member since '95, am ready to let it go. Last show I was able to go to was L.A. in 2013, which was my kids' first PJ concert, and unfortunately, probably my last. I got GA tickets through 10C, but before that, the last time that membership had really done anything for me was 8th row tickets to the 10th Anniversary show here in Las Vegas in 2000. Reserved seats from then on, got progressively worse - fan club seniority didn't really mean much once they opened up tickets to as many shows as you wanted, and then granting tickets via lottery, rather than fan club tickets to one show per tour. Didn't make sense to me, especially with less shows and smaller tours as time went on. I really enjoyed the fan club vinyl, but those have steadily gotten worse, and now with its elimination, no point in continuing on for me. The rest of exclusive "stuff" doesn't matter much to me. It's just stuff - for me, it's always been the music first, and since that seems to be dwindling as well, I'll buy the albums at my local record store when they come out, and if they ever do manage to play in my city again, I might shoot for general public sale tickets, but if not - at least I know I saw them in their prime.

The other thing that I never really got is that after they did the box sets for the first three records, everyone kept asking about the No Code, Yield, and other anniversary boxsets, and the response from the band always steered towards "it was nice looking back, but we really want to look at the future" and "we don't want to just be a nostalgic band", yet everything since, from the merch, to setlists, is so steeped in the past, and there's been no sense of excitement or anything new coming for a long time. I often wonder if there are differing opinions in the band about that, or if they're all sort of in that same mindset collectively, but the result seems to be much less MUSIC and a lot more STUFF to sell lately. Let me be clear- I don;t blame the band for taking advantage of any level of comfort they achieved. I just wish they'd be clear about what their intentions are, especially when they're asking for our membership dues, with little information, and not even delivering products we paid for YEARS ago. For those reasons, it's just not a hard debate anymore.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I cancelled auto-renew. Will wait and see what new benefit may be announced for Analog, but at this point my decision in October will be renew as Digital or just let it expire. Luckily I have 10 months to see what 10c is up to. I don't see being Analog again at this point.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • So what reason is it for me not going digital? I care zero about the tshirt... The DEEP magazine then? Thats it for the 50 bucks?
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    I’m kind of looking forward to the changes they bring. All I ask is they don’t drag their feet and they put a little bit of effort into whatever is next. Excited though. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016