A New Beginning or The Final Chapter?

1235»

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    The Final Chapter
    Here is my take on the "scripted" comment.  Surprisingly, after 1,000 or so Pearl Jam shows, a Pearl Jam show does in fact feel like a …  Bon Jovi Pearl Jam show.  From 2013 on their shows have been a very consistent format (30+ songs, slow three song open, slow 3 song first encore, Porch/RMV close out sets, Alive in the 2nd encore).   Even if they released a new record it will get at most 5-6 songs played out of the 30+ songs that night.   I don't think it is scripted, but has the feeling of you've seen it before because they are a 28 year old rock band.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Here is my take on the "scripted" comment.  Surprisingly, after 1,000 or so Pearl Jam shows, a Pearl Jam show does in fact feel like a …  Bon Jovi Pearl Jam show.  From 2013 on their shows have been a very consistent format (30+ songs, slow three song open, slow 3 song first encore, Porch/RMV close out sets, Alive in the 2nd encore).   Even if they released a new record it will get at most 5-6 songs played out of the 30+ songs that night.   I don't think it is scripted, but has the feeling of you've seen it before because they are a 28 year old rock band.
    I would call that more of a format rather than being scripted but I agree with what you are saying. If I could change one thing that the band does live it would be exactly what you mentioned with Porch/RVM/Alive placements as well as some other songs. I get they need a closer to each set but mixing it up a little more would be really cool. Extended Immortality would be great for example to end a first set with. Porch or RVM could open the show. The roof would blow off the place if they did that. Also the last 3 songs need to change imo. Alive into Rockin/Baba into Ledbetter/Indifference is done way too many times. Have Alive end a first set or first encore like they used to and have Indifference earlier in the second set with the lights off.  

These guys mix it up a lot obviously but the above changes would be a huge welcome for a lot of us and I don't think it really is nitpicking or asking a lot. I get they do it for the casual fans but they can still use those songs just spice up the placement a bit. With regards to the opener I feel like that is very random and not sure how they could change it anymore then they do. Yes they can have a fast or slow start but you really never know where they are going. They could do 1 slow and 5 fast or 4 fast and 1 slow or 3 slow like you mentioned. The first encore sit down is my favourite part of the show minus the opener so no complaints there. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJNB said:
    I would call that more of a format rather than being scripted but I agree with what you are saying. If I could change one thing that the band does live it would be exactly what you mentioned with Porch/RVM/Alive placements as well as some other songs. I get they need a closer to each set but mixing it up a little more would be really cool. Extended Immortality would be great for example to end a first set with. Porch or RVM could open the show. The roof would blow off the place if they did that. Also the last 3 songs need to change imo. Alive into Rockin/Baba into Ledbetter/Indifference is done way too many times. Have Alive end a first set or first encore like they used to and have Indifference earlier in the second set with the lights off.  

These guys mix it up a lot obviously but the above changes would be a huge welcome for a lot of us and I don't think it really is nitpicking or asking a lot. I get they do it for the casual fans but they can still use those songs just spice up the placement a bit. With regards to the opener I feel like that is very random and not sure how they could change it anymore then they do. Yes they can have a fast or slow start but you really never know where they are going. They could do 1 slow and 5 fast or 4 fast and 1 slow or 3 slow like you mentioned. The first encore sit down is my favourite part of the show minus the opener so no complaints there. 
    All good stuff right there that I definitely agree with. Another option is to hire me to create the set list each night. Minds will be blown!!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    The Final Chapter
    PJNB said:

I agree.  After the first encore is over and maybe the first song of the second encore my mind shifts to street tacos or late night cheeseburgers because I've seen what is about to happen about 100 times by now. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    A New Beginning
    mcgruff10 said:
    Totally makes sense now:

UNPREDICTABLE!!
    www.cluthelee.com
    The Final Chapter
    If I was on stage though with 15,000 people (or even 35,000) looking on, I might be tempted to go with the formula that I know works.  They mix up about 65% of the setlist so that should be enough for us die hards.
    For the past few months I was kind of Pearl jammed out but with this all talk I am ready for some shows!!! Let’s do this. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    i'm still trying to figure out why mcgruff spells globe with a 6. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    If I was on stage though with 15,000 people (or even 35,000) looking on, I might be tempted to go with the formula that I know works.  They mix up about 65% of the setlist so that should be enough for us die hards.
    I would be just the opposite.  I would want to mix it up, pull out some lesser played tunes and give them new life.  Thinking about what RYME said about Willie Nelson elsewhere, I have talked to fans who have seen Willie numerous times (I've only seen him once so I can't attest to this) and they tell me he almost never plays a song the same way twice.  I took that as a lesson and have run with it throughout all my years of playing/ singing at home.  I always try to add a little twist to songs I play and often learn or make something up that's new (and no, I an't no Willie Nelson or Ed Vedder so no way am I bragging).  But this is how music is kept vibrant and alive. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Dude that is ed s techs handwriting, not mine. Take it up with him. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Yah at least it's a hybrid.   65 to 75% of the setlist changes everynight, but Corduroy/DTE/Even Flow/Rearviewmirror/Porch are played every night, and the opener/closers tend to be chosen from a favourite handful of songs.   It gives them a rough outline of the show, but loads of room for different songs every night.

It tends to separate my favourite shows from other ones.  When that 65% consist of my favourites and/or a holy grail.  That's a top 5 for me :)  I do feel bad though.  At 27 shows in.. sometimes I'm not super extactic about the nightly staples.. it's usually a sign for me that i've gone oo to many shows.    I've often wondered how people go to 5o or 100+ and keep it fresh.   You'd think the more shows one goes to, the more the formulaic bits would get repetitive for the fan.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    I agree with the comment that the shows have become somewhat formulaic at the end.  Would like to see them switch up the closers more.  

But Bruce kinda follows the same end of show formula even though he throws out set lists that vary from night to night.  You almost always get a couple of 60s inspired closers like Detroit Medley, Raise Your Hand, Twist and Shout, or Quarter to Three.  He’s been doing that since the 70s so I don’t know that it necessarily means Pear Jam is becoming a nostalgia act if they are doing something similar.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

mcgruff10 said:
    seriously? i thought you did that sticky note as a joke for this thread!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mcgruff10 said:
    oh hugh.....
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    oh hugh.....
    what...?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    oh hugh.....
    what...?
    Bud  I was kidding!!!!  The only thing I ever failed in school was handwriting lol.  I rarely write on the board when I teach and when I do I make fun of myself.