A New Beginning or The Final Chapter?

The end of the annual single -- does that make room for something new -- maybe something even cooler? Or will it just leave a void, removing a perk from the fanclub that will not be replaced?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

A New Beginning or The Final Chapter? 123 votes

A New Beginning
25%
E.Kjack cameron2-feign-reluctancemfc2006Yefapantelis79BrainofBGAPA JammerHardtoImagine 801itsevolution..babyloix71HesCalledDyerRS151862Tiz10CO278952jeff2040D-Rodmpar17PJForceofNaturebb4packers 31 votes
The Final Chapter
74%
SpartanacusjeffbrdarwinstheoryNewJPageBelieveYouMefloyd11554rockpantsEdVedder_1reisgerichtjeffer96Ledbetterman10tkepearljamnski-bumdrummerboy_73GardenpartyCopperTomvaggar99bootlegger10pjpitt89DukeSpirit 92 votes

Comments

• A New Beginning
    I will try to keep some positivity alive. At least in my own head. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited December 2018
    Sorry S_C, my thread sort of copies what you are asking here.  I didn't see it until I posted mine. 

That's a good question.  Time will tell.  I still hope for a period of renewed vigor.  As far as new music output, nothing the band has done has done it for me lately,  The last last album they made that I listen to all all any more is the self-title ("Avocado") and that was put out in 2006.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377

• Where's the option for, "they're just a rock band and they stopped providing a single which they haven't put any effort into for 9 years."?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Where's the option for, "they're just a rock band and they stopped providing a single which they haven't put any effort into for 9 years."?
    What entry in the Friday the 13th series had that title?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Exactamundo.  Good luck trying to convince the masses though - 99% of hardcore PJ fans believe that Red Mosquito is about food poisoning.  Well, I guess it kinda is.... a poppy seed bagel is food.  Ahhhahaaa 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    Where's the option for, "they're just a rock band and they stopped providing a single which they haven't put any effort into for 9 years."?

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2018
    Where's the option for, "they're just a rock band and they stopped providing a single which they haven't put any effort into for 9 years."?
    And there is an option for this btw. Did you read the thread?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    A New Beginning
    Sometimes that old t-shirt has run its course and you have to throw it out.  Stop being all doom & gloom, folks.  The band isn't retiring. The 10 Club isn't disbanding.  Things will be ok.  It's just a 7" record they don't even bother to make in the first place, not the end of the line.
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    A New Beginning
    I hope a new beginning :prayer:
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Sometimes that old t-shirt has run its course and you have to throw it out.  Stop being all doom & gloom, folks.  The band isn't retiring. The 10 Club isn't disbanding.  Things will be ok.  It's just a 7" record they don't even bother to make in the first place, not the end of the line.
    exactly. people did nothing but bitch about not getting the single on time. so they put out a statement, when the office is supposedly closed by the way, to say it's not longer happening.  it clearly became something the band didn't care about anymore. my best guess is jeff or ed used to put it together and when asked recently about all the posts bitching about it just said fuck it we aren't doing it anymore. nothing more nothing less.  let's not over analyze it.  remember half of analysis is anal :)
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    The Final Chapter
    pjhawks said:
    exactly. people did nothing but bitch about not getting the single on time. so they put out a statement, when the office is supposedly closed by the way, to say it's not longer happening.  it clearly became something the band didn't care about anymore. my best guess is jeff or ed used to put it together and when asked recently about all the posts bitching about it just said fuck it we aren't doing it anymore. nothing more nothing less.  let's not over analyze it.  remember half of analysis is anal :)
    i mostly agree.  i sort stated this in another thread.  its more of a symbolic thing.  sort of acknowledgment that the fire is gone.  hey, at least they can stop faking it, right?
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    edited December 2018
    Hopefully they wont mess with the tickets, which is really the only reason I am a member. The rest is just gravy.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    The Final Chapter
    Become less important so I can get a ticket to see you in a small venue, pj
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,978
    The Final Chapter
    pjhawks said:
    The complaints are about singles that we have paid for and never received, going back two years.  If the band saw people complaining about not getting what they were promised-- and what they paid for-- and said, "Fuck it," then it wouldn't reflect well on them.  A conscientious person would recognize that he has failed to fulfill an obligation and, in good conscience and out of gratitude to those who have supported his career with their hard-earned cash, get something done.  

There is no possible explanation for the failure to deliver paid-for items that reflects well on the band.  Even things that are out of the band's control, like theoretical logistical difficulties or challenges, do not merit an excuse because there has been no effort to communicate about them to explain why people have not gotten what they paid for.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    A New Beginning

"Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • PJWGIII said:

THAT

OPTION

EXISTS

You are grown people. Read.
  • I choose Freddy vs. Jason, what does that mean?
  • I choose Freddy vs. Jason, what does that mean?
    Biggest letdown in my life after Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.
  • It's just a damn single. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    A New Beginning
    Everyone relax for a sec
    www.cluthelee.com
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    A New Beginning
    Everyone relax for a sec
    This 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    The Final Chapter
    I think they've been in The Final Chapter for quite awhile already. It's just gonna be a long one. Kinda like the longest song on an album being the last one on the tracklist. No panic, just acceptance.
  • Everyone relax for a sec

No kidding.

I think this is more a case of PJ and management going, "F**ks sakes. Another year and we still don't have those damn 45s pressed. F**k it. No more 45s."
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Where is the KISS option ?
    im saving my vote
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Everyone relax for a sec
    Meanwhile, outside 10C headquarters:

See the source image
  • Hobbes said:
    Everyone relax for a sec

See the source image
    Hahahhhha
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    A New Beginning
    Hobbes said:
    Everyone relax for a sec

See the source image
    Hahahhhha
    Poor Boom...he’s not even an official member! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    BF25394 said:
    pjhawks said:
    The complaints are about singles that we have paid for and never received, going back two years.  If the band saw people complaining about not getting what they were promised-- and what they paid for-- and said, "Fuck it," then it wouldn't reflect well on them.  A conscientious person would recognize that he has failed to fulfill an obligation and, in good conscience and out of gratitude to those who have supported his career with their hard-earned cash, get something done.  

There is no possible explanation for the failure to deliver paid-for items that reflects well on the band.  Even things that are out of the band's control, like theoretical logistical difficulties or challenges, do not merit an excuse because there has been no effort to communicate about them to explain why people have not gotten what they paid for.
    Beyond all the bellyaching and the complaining about a 45 from alleged adults were the people in that thread that were saying that the delay should be reported to the police.  There is no doubt that the ugliness of that thread had an impact on this decision. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    The Final Chapter
    on2legs said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjhawks said:

Beyond all the bellyaching and the complaining about a 45 from alleged adults were the people in that thread that were saying that the delay should be reported to the police.  There is no doubt that the ugliness of that thread had an impact on this decision. 
    I think it was l more to do with being reminded by that thread that they can’t just advertise a perk they charge for and not come through on it.   I don’t care about the fan club single but I see it as another sign they are a legacy act now.