Led Zeppelin

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Chuck Klosterman wrote in one of his books that there is a time in every teenage males life where his world is basically Led Zeppelin. The Led is all he can listen to, and the music defines him. Klosterman suggested that this was a phase that all males went through.

Is this an accurate statement? Do all teenage males go through a Led Zeppelin phase?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Chuck Klosterman wrote in one of his books that there is a time in every teenage males life where his world is basically Led Zeppelin. The Led is all he can listen to, and the music defines him. Klosterman suggested that this was a phase that all males went through.

Is this an accurate statement? Do all teenage males go through a Led Zeppelin phase?

Phase? I still love Zeppelin, haha. I'm only 23 years old, so the teenage years are not too far gone, and I have always been a fan as long as I've loved rock music.

As far as the , "The Led is all he can listen to" part, sorry, but that's always been PJ, haha.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Led Zeppelin Reunite (For Book) - Stereogum https://apple.news/AsrGzt_KfRvuzZYZ5jnYoeA
    Reunite for book ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Led Zeppelin Reunite (For Book) - Stereogum https://apple.news/AsrGzt_KfRvuzZYZ5jnYoeA
    Reunite for book ..
    Cool. I'd love that book. One step closer to a....nah, never gonna happen. ;)
    As to the OP- accurate.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm still in a Surf Music phase, and Early Rock phase, a British Rock Phase, an American Rock phase,  a Blues-Rock phase, a Psychedelic Music phase, a Rock-leaning Folk phase, a Blues phase, a Jazz phase, a New Wave phase, a Punk phase, a Paisley Underground phase, an R&B/Motown/Soul phase, a Rock Resurrection phase (that includes The Replacements, Dinosaur Jr and Pearl Jam, among others), an Obscure Musics phase, an Ambient Music phase, a Trad-leaning and Outlaw Country phase, a Reggae and Dub phase, a Music from Other Countries phase, (as opposed to most efforts to combine them in something called "world music"), and at times, a Classical/Orchestral Music phase.  Sadly, I've never been in an Opera or Hip-Hop phase.

I don't mean phases only as in music tastes but phases as in those types of music have a strong sway in my life in general.  Life is music, music is life.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    I think if you like rockusic, you definitely go through a love affair with Zep at some point....... they are amazing.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Yep in Plant I trust ..
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Respect.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Sounds like Plant had that conversation shortly after the 2007 reunion. Flash forward to 2018 and Plant is touring with the Space Shifters and playing a predominately Zeppelin set. I don't mean that as a slight against Plant, merely stating that despite his huge body of solo work, he still busts out the Zeppelin tunes. I'm not sure how much that has to do with fan expectation and selling tickets, but he clearly enjoys going back to those songs. I just saw him in Dublin and he played an inspiring version of the Rain Song- he clearly wasn't just going through the motions.
    As to a reunion of some sorts, I'm torn on whether I really want it. I would mortgage a house for a chance to see them live, but there's something special about watching Zeppelin videos, and all we have really have is that ten year period when they were together. Led Zeppelin existed in that time frame and for the most part they've kept it that way. There's something admirable about that. But hell, they announce a small reunion tour, say six cities or so, and I'm all in.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I realize the original post is from 2007, but to answer it, no it’s not true. I never could nor wanted to get into Led Zeppelin. I just don’t like their sound.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    My first concert, which was in 1975, was Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.
    My second, less than a month later, was Led Zeppelin.
    Luckily I got to see them again a couple of years later.
    As a teenager I  loved them. As I got older I drifted away but then came back.

Had an opportunity to go to the 2007 reunion show but couldn't justify the expense. Plus I believed that if the show was successful there would be a tour.
    I was wrong and regret that decision to this day.

I understand Plants reasoning.  And even though I dont go see 70some year old rockers I would make an exception for these guys.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    My Dad wore me down slowly from my infancy until I was in my early 20s before I started digging Zep like he did. They’re a staple
    in our home now. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Heard Tangerine listening to a random station going to the ski hill today. Haven’t heard it for probably 10-20 years (honestly can’t remember).

Great song. Great album. Sounded awesome.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Meh. They sound too much like Greta Van Fleet to me.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Thank You was our wedding song.  And yes, I was that person who had part of the song printed on our wedding invites.  Someone sent the lyrics to us with their RSVP.  :smile:

Mom raised us on rock music.  My sister went by way of Fleetwood Mac.  I went Led Zeppelin.  I'm good with that. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    deadendp said:
    Thank You was our wedding song.  And yes, I was that person who had part of the song printed on our wedding invites.  Someone sent the lyrics to us with their RSVP.  :smile:

Mom raised us on rock music.  My sister went by way of Fleetwood Mac.  I went Led Zeppelin.  I'm good with that. 
    DP, go your own way.
  • Heard Tangerine listening to a random station going to the ski hill today. Haven’t heard it for probably 10-20 years (honestly can’t remember).

Great song. Great album. Sounded awesome.
    Don’t stop thinkin about Zeppelin. Anybody seen Get the Led Out?
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Chuck Klosterman wrote in one of his books that there is a time in every teenage males life where his world is basically Led Zeppelin. The Led is all he can listen to, and the music defines him. Klosterman suggested that this was a phase that all males went through.

Accurate in my case.  I still remember sitting in the back seat of our car (Dad driving, Mom in front, sister in back with me...we were probably coming home from church) and hearing Black Dog for the first time and it blew my mind.  LZ caused me to pretty much ignore everything that came out prior to the grunge movement.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Hobbes said:
    deadendp said:

DP, go your own way.
    I generally do.  :wink:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Led Zep was big for me when I was 16 or so in the late-80s/early-90s. However, I thought my fandom was more about the lack of good rock music at the time (as opposed to my age). I wasn't listening to them much anymore in 1992.

• rummy said:
    Led Zep was big for me when I was 16 or so in the late-80s/early-90s. However, I thought my fandom was more about the lack of good rock music at the time (as opposed to my age). I wasn't listening to them much anymore in 1992.

So much good new stuff was coming out in that era that you didn't need to resort to the classics.

Now that things have slowed down substantially, the classics are becoming relevant again (with the addition of the 'newer' classics (AIC, PJ, Soundgarden, STP, Nirvana, RHCP, etc.).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    First U.S. show 50 years ago yesterday.....

Led Zeppelin played their first U.S. show in Denver. https://www.9news.com/article/entertainment/led-zeppelin-played-their-first-us-show-in-denver/73-c7a932b8-a914-43ea-a416-e260a278b2b9
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Props to Plant
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Some interesting Zep trivia here:

Keith Moon of the Who Gave Led Zeppelin Their Name

THE BACKSTORY: In May 1966, Moon and Who bassist John Entwistle recorded the instrumental "Beck's Bolero" with Page, John Paul Jones and Jeff Beck. The track came out well, and they tossed around the idea of forming a new band. Moon allegedly said the band would go over like a lead balloon. Page remembered the joke two years later when he created Zep.

THE TRUTH: Accounts differ; for decades Entwistle claimed it was he, not Moon, who made the "lead balloon" crack. But history seems to favor Moon's version.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Maybe?  I don't think I truly grew an appreciation for Zeppellin until my very ear
    rummy said:

I was the opposite.  Always listening to new rock music until the latter half of the 90s when it started to wane.  That's when I started going backwards in rock history, and began my appreciate for Zeppelin, Beatles, The Who, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, etc....
  • Anyone here of the new Bio film? Becoming Led Zeppelin 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Anyone here of the new Bio film? Becoming Led Zeppelin 
    I thought it was a book?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Anyone here of the new Bio film? Becoming Led Zeppelin 
    yes....looking forward to it
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville