CoS 2018 Band of the Year

Band of the year!

Without doubt, an incredible music artist. But to win this award in 2018 while nearly semi retired, might be one of their finest accomplishments.
Tagged:

Comments

• I take it the writers at CoS are not fanclub members and having to wait for the Christmas Singles.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • crober72crober72 Bartlett, IL Posts: 74
    A great article — love the fact that CoS gets why Pearl Jam means something to their fans — even if the days of any kind of relevance in the grand scheme of what’s popular are long gone.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    That first comment though lol.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Haha. Everyone gets a medal!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Seven us shows over two years and one new song in five years equates to band of the year? The list of candidates must have been really thin. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    mcgruff10 said:
    Seven us shows over two years and one new song in five years equates to band of the year? The list of candidates must have been really thin. 
    Narrowly edged out The Doors. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Narrowly edged out The Doors. 
    And Hanson. 
  • KW6232KW6232 Posts: 347
    Well they did raise 11 million for the homeless so maybe they should have mentioned that in the article. And it didn’t say bands music just band so no one really knows what criteria they used for this decision. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited December 2018
    mcgruff10 said:

Just think of the bright side of the story. In six months we get to say three years.

mcgruff10 said:

Just think of the bright side of the story. In six months we get to say three years.

Lol. Good point. 
  • bigjilmbigjilm Sea Posts: 182
    KW6232 said:
    Well they did raise 11 million for the homeless so maybe they should have mentioned that in the article.
    Second to last paragraph
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    I hope they do not release a touch of grey cover.  If the mainstream gets on this bandwagon it will be bad. As popular as PJ is, they still fly under the radar. If the rest of the world finally gets it, tix will be even harder to get and the venues will stay huge.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Still love PJ, but hardly the band of the year IMO. Kind of insulting to a ton of other great bands/musicians that released amazing music this year. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • COS just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it’s the overuse of the Eddie Vedder pun or maybe they just seem like a cheap music blog that reposts news as if it were their own. I’m not sure PJ is the most fitting winner in 2018 based on some stats provided above, but it’s not like there is a ton of movement taking place in the rock world to earn the title either. 
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Mind boggling stuff here. I must say that this band has dropped significantly in my overall music listening desires. It's a shame but they are an afterthought now.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • rb173565rb173565 Posts: 101
    mcgruff10 said:
    in the uk i think they dont know what a band is these days. over the past 5-10 years the growing trend has been some dj or mc featuring some female singer with a great voice topping the charts. going by the state of the top 20 (if thats even relative today) i dont recall a single band in there until this week when WHAM, with a song from the 80s and BAND AID again from the 80s appeared. i dont class glorified choirs as bands so little mix or one direction are out. where's a guitar or a set of drums.....? slim pickings indeed
  • COS just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it’s the overuse of the Eddie Vedder pun or maybe they just seem like a cheap music blog that reposts news as if it were their own. I’m not sure PJ is the most fitting winner in 2018 based on some stats provided above, but it’s not like there is a ton of movement taking place in the rock world to earn the title either. 
    They definitely have a soft spot for PJ based on how much coverage they've given them in the past. But hey, I'm not complaining. Just sent this article to my friend who's a Velvet Underground fan but hates Pearl Jam because he heard like 2 singles and assumes that they're just a sellout version of Nirvana.
    My parent's attic - 2018
    My college dorm - 2019
  • stratmadstratmad Posts: 208
    Putting aside bands who’ve released new stuff this year I’d even argue other older bands have done more to deserve recognition. Take Guns n’ Roses as an example: arguably less active in terms of new output in the last 20 years compared with PJ but they played and toured relentlessly over the past 3 years playing a solid set of old tunes with a few covers and keeping the punters entertained. They have flown as much under the radar as PJ in terms of press but they feel more like a working band to me than PJ does.