Why do you buy posters?

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited December 2018
    I now only buy posters from shows i've gone to and if i really like the print. I have way too many posters (i've gotten some Ames subs back in the mid aughts) so I need to sell some off. I have 100+ of various bands, but maybe half are PJ posters going back to 96. But I'm out of wall space, and no place for a nice flat file right now. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • I limit myself to the shows I've attended. It always makes me sad to know that I will never get them all because no posters were produced for two shows that I attended. I have a few posters for shows that I did not go to, my favorite being the EMEK Ben Harper Sasquatch poster which I consider to be an amazing piece of art, but I really try to limit acquiring posters for shows I did not attend. I will hang them all someday.  I like posters because they are a visual reminder of the show and can instantly bring to mind moments from each show that make me smile....
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited December 2018
    Im probably on the opposite side of things.  I dont follow the tours anymore (one show in the last fifteen years).  I just stick to posters.  I think i only own two posters from shows ive been to.  Some of them are just too ugly to own. I just like good artwork or good creativity. 

Some of the designs that emek or Munk One release could be hanging in anyone’s living room no matter what age they are or what music they like. We’re just lucky that it says Pearl Jam on it. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • bigjilmbigjilm Sea Posts: 182
    First poster I bought was New Orleans 95 at the show. Kept it going in 98 with Atlanta and Birmingham. Started picking up anything I thought was cool in the early 2000s. Slowed down around 2010 to only shows I've attended. Unfortunately I don't have any of the pre-2000 posters anymore and have no interest trying to pick them up at their current values. Wish I hadn't sold ATL or Birmingham, but sometimes life happens and you need quick cash. 

• hihobibo said:
    Obsession....I started 4 years ago with a mystery tube on here.  I now have over 500 posters in total, about 150 of them are PJ/EV prints.  I keep saying to myself that I need to stop buying but I can't stop.  it is truly an addiction.
    You've bought 500 posters in 4 years??? I assume you are not/no longer married! 
    I actually am still married.  My wife has given up asking me to stop buying, etc.  At this point as long as it is not coming out of our joint account she doesn't seem to be bothered by it...too much.
  • Because, in my case, I prefer to put a nice piece of art in my wall than a cross or some virgin from Middle east..
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• Keeps me off the crack 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Keeps me off the crack 
    Much better return on investment as well
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    bigjilm said:
    First poster I bought was New Orleans 95 at the show. Kept it going in 98 with Atlanta and Birmingham. Started picking up anything I thought was cool in the early 2000s. Slowed down around 2010 to only shows I've attended. Unfortunately I don't have any of the pre-2000 posters anymore and have no interest trying to pick them up at their current values. Wish I hadn't sold ATL or Birmingham, but sometimes life happens and you need quick cash. 

these are the shows I started with too.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Keeps me off the crack 
    Much better return on investment as well
    You are both misinformed...

Crack is not a drug, but a way of life!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    I started in 96 at randalls island. Simpler times where you could walk up and get one no problem for $20 I think.
    I seem to remember buying the Boston 2000 one in the parking lot after the show.  Memory is a bit cloudy though.
    The colors and the art are what do it for me.
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    I buy posters because I enjoy hiding tubes around the house and lying to my girl about how much I paid for shit. It's like a game. I also enjoy listening to her nag during those times she finds either the hidden tubes or the truth. 
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    Just kidding she's a nice lady. 

I buy posters to shows I've been to and the ones I find cool.  I think they are awesome mementos.
  • 1upstate1upstate near Syracuse NY Posts: 201
    Collected since they offered them. Mainly Phish, PJ and DMB. Thing is its become insane with the amount of time and effort that needs to be put in to get a poster.   Flippers kills the fun. I probably have 150 posters. 
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine"
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Because I’m almost 40 years old yet I still think I’m 17.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Because I’m almost 40 years old yet I still think I’m 17.
    Best answer yet.  Although scaled for me.  50 and I still think I am 23.
  • bigjilmbigjilm Sea Posts: 182
    lolobugg said:
    bigjilm said:

these are the shows I started with too.
    Definitely still wish I had them. 

I also forgot to mention why I bought them. With the right care posters last longer than concert tees.
  • Because I’m almost 40 years old yet I still think I’m 17.
    :lol:  
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    I enjoy the hunt of some of the hard to get prints as well as the fun on the drops even though I am no good at them. The community for the most part minus the sharks is great. I have seen some kind things done from forum members here as well as on social media within the poster game for those that are less fortunate. I have also met a great fan and life long friend just off of a simple Facebook post asking for a hand on merch at an EV show. The connections we make just over something as simple as a poster is pretty crazy. 
  • I bought my first one in 98, liked its uniqueness and specificity, and just kept going. I'd buy every poster from every show I attended, but this was the first year it finally became too much (after 61 shows, ha). I didn't buy all the Wrigley and Fenway posters, and it's a little sad admitting how much willpower that took. But it was refreshing, and almost relaxing. Then I thinned out my collection, and only kept the ones I really liked. Moving forward, I'll just buy the ones I like from the shows I attend.
    PJx69
    EVx11
  • jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    Any show i go to, if they have a good poster i buy it, bring it home, frame it, and hanging in my music room!
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Collect shows I attend, frame the good ones.

I’ve very rarely thought about buying ones other than my shows. 
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,743
    I honestly don’t know why I started “needing” them. I think I saw the demand on here and it made me think I had to go and get one for each show I was at. Realized a few years back that I was over it and the sell off began. Made a pretty penny, I’ll be honest so it was worth it to an extent. I currently only have 1 framed and on the wall and at least 1 more possibly 2 to get the same treatment. Other than that, I’m done with the collecting, getting too old for this shit 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 779
    I have four. EV Dublin 2017, PJ Amsterdam 2014, PJ Boston 2018 and Soundgarden Berlin 2012. None framed yet but I've moved home to NZ recently so will get one at a time done when I have the dough. For me they're a great reminder of my time overseas and the Dublin and Berlin ones are cool as my fiancée is from Germany whom I met in Ireland. More acceptable than the 50 t-shirts of differing ilk I own...
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • sweetlew33sweetlew33 Sun's Trapdoor Posts: 77
    I treat PJ posters the same as every other band I see.  I check out the poster at every show I go to, and buy the ones I think are worth the $.  I've yet to buy a poster from a show I haven't attended, but came close with the EV/Glen glow in the dark eye from Arizona.  My favorites, the Cleveland (Mother Earth) and Hartford (Tom Sawyer) from 2010, are hanging in our living room.  My favorite non-PJ is a Band of Horses from Wilmington, DE hangs next to the PJ Octopus from Boston in our basement.   
  • I treat PJ posters the same as every other band I see.  I check out the poster at every show I go to, and buy the ones I think are worth the $.  I've yet to buy a poster from a show I haven't attended, but came close with the EV/Glen glow in the dark eye from Arizona.  My favorites, the Cleveland (Mother Earth) and Hartford (Tom Sawyer) from 2010, are hanging in our living room.  My favorite non-PJ is a Band of Horses from Wilmington, DE hangs next to the PJ Octopus from Boston in our basement.   
    What the hell is a band of horses? Never heard of them. 
  • aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    Thanks to the fact that posters of my 2 first shows were awful, I have never started and that’s great because I know how crazy I could have been ... 
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • I just get shows I’ve been to. That number is small unfortunately. Didn’t get one at my first show in 2006, bought a shirt instead but I recently tracked one down. Then I bought one from my 2013 show and 2 from the home shows. I have stickers and my stubs from all 3 and would like to get them all framed with the stickers and stubs.
  • TeddyledbetterTeddyledbetter Seattle, WA Posts: 473
    I was a baseball card kid. Collecting posters was like buying a new pack of cards. Crack wrapped in a cellophane wrapper.  I've only bought / framed posters from shows I attended. Then when the closet started overflowing my live-in girlfriend said, "It's me or those damn tubes." 
    She's looking for a room-mate now if anyone is interested? 
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    The art is cool and it’s a good souvenir.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22