What were the highlights & lowlights of your 2018?

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
Highlights:

PJ at Fenway,
NIN x 7 in Los Angeles & Las Vegas
Trips to Maui (twice) and Italy
Democrats retake the house

Lowlights:

Our president's actions
mother-in-law's 30-day hospital stay
Friend's brush with death due to aortic dissection

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Highlights:

Pearl Jam in Rome with my daughter
    Euripean cruise
    Bourbon trail with friends
    watching daughter as Clara in Nutcracker

Lowlight:

step-father passing away quickly
    brother losing his job and fighting depression

hippiemom = goodness
  • Highlights
    Eagles winning SuperBowl 
    getting a kitten for my daughters
    I married 2 people (first time I ever did that) Sadly, it was unfortunately under difficult circumstances 

low lights 
    my dog passing away 
    my house getting robbed

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    edited December 2018
    Highlights:
    Moved into our "25 year" home.
    Both my parents moved a mile away from us
    Youngest turns out to be an awesome sleeper just like her older sister was/is
    Oldest started Kindergarten
    Earned more money than I ever have previously in my life
    Started writing my own songs
    None of my client's died by suicide this year

Lowlights:
    Losing my last remaining Grandparent (expected) and my Uncle Jim (not expected) weeks apart earlier this past spring
    Not nearly enough face time with friends I care about
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • pjman75pjman75 Indiana Posts: 836

Losing my Mom to ALS on 3/5/18

PJ playing all of my Mom's favorite songs in one show on 8/18/18

Much love and many wishes to all for an amazing 2019

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

8/17/98 Noblesville, 8/18/00 Noblesville, 6/5/03 San Diego, 6/22/03 Noblesville, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 5/7/10 Noblesville, 9/15/11 Hamilton, 11/21/12 Memphis (Ed w/ Glen), 7/19/13 Wrigley, 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, 10/01/14 Cincinnati, 10/03/14 Saint Louis, 4/16/16 Greenville, 4/26/16 Lexington, 5/1/16 NYC, 5/2/16 NYC, 8/20/16 Wrigley, 8/22/16 Wrigley (For Hank), 8/18/18 Wrigley, 8/20/18 Wrigley (For Hank), 9/18/22 Saint Louis, 9/5/23 Chicago, 9/7/23 Chicago
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    pjman75 said:

Losing my Mom to ALS on 3/5/18

PJ playing all of my Mom's favorite songs in one show on 8/18/18

Much love and many wishes to all for an amazing 2019

Aw man. My late condolences to you & your family.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Highlights

I married 2 people (first time I ever did that)

Polygamy?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Highlights: 
    Traveling to Houston/Austin/Dallas to see AWOLNATION 3 times while they toured for their Here Come The Runts tour.

Liverpool getting to the champions League final.  

Speaking of Liverpool, my friend and I drove from New Orleans to Detroit, Michigan in one, yes ONE, sitting. We were able to see Liverpool play Manchester United at the Big House. We also drove up to Traverse City (the tip of the Mitt) and back down through Chicago.  Then we drove all the way back home in one sitting. Check out how lit this trip was and what we saw: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YikhJkPvcDE

Earlier in the year, my girlfriend at the time and I drove to Disney World from New Orleans and spent 8 days there. On the way back, we stopped in Gulf Shores to go to the Hangout Festival. Hangout was amazing as i got to see AWOLNATION again in their festival setting. I was also introduced to Portugal. The Man, and others. 

My fondest memory of 2018 though, is traveling to Chicago with my girlfriend for 4 whole days just to see Pearl Jam at Wrigley. We left on a Thursday and were there till Tuesday. It was amazing and probably the best trip of my life. We were able to get tickets for both shows, and as we all know both shows were fantastic. I got to spend 4 whole days with the chick of my dreams in a foreign city with a bunch of weed. It almost doesn't even feel real. 

Lowlights: 

Everything was fine after the Chicago trip, then all of a sudden everything went bad. About 2 or 3 weeks after Chicago N2, my girlfriend of the past 4 years decided that she had enough and broke it off. Totally heart broken still to this day and I have absolutely no idea what to think or feel about it anymore. I basically spent every day of the last 4 years of my life pleasing someone else and its all come to an end. Thats the major one. 

Liverpool losing the Champions League final to Real Madrid 

Just generally not knowing what I want to do or whats next in life. I'm only 21 and still in college. I feel like im in such an awkward state of not knowing what is just beyond the corner and thats the absolute worst thing ever. This coupled with everything really has just been weighing me down like a concrete block in water this semester and im really in need of another PJ show to wipe my memories of the last one lol. 

I still have yet to go back and relisten to N2 on bootleg  :s
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Great thread and my condolences to anyone on the forum that lost a loved one or went through some hard times this year. I really enjoy this group and wish everyone a great 2019. Looking at my highlights with Pearl Jam they are surrounded with seeing new cities, meeting new and old friends and listening to the best band in the world. 

Highlights 

The birth of my daughter

Trip to Europe to see Pearl Jam and meet some fantastic people on this board. Too many great people to list. 
    Trip to the Home show on September 10th and meeting up with friends from California that we met in Taormina in 2017
    Trip to Wrigley and getting to meet Mcgruff10 and his wife outside before the show and the wild weather that ensued 
    Trip with the whole family to Boston to see the city with my kids and take in the two shows.
    Thankful to my wife and family for supporting me/us with our PJ addiction. Without them I would not be able see these guys as much as I have. 

Lowlights 

Explosion at my work when I was not there and luckily no one was killed or seriously hurt. 

• JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    edited December 2018
    PJNB said:
    Great thread and my condolences to anyone on the forum that lost a loved one or went through some hard times this year. I really enjoy this group and wish everyone a great 2019. Looking at my highlights with Pearl Jam they are surrounded with seeing new cities, meeting new and old friends and listening to the best band in the world. 

Highlights 

The birth of my daughter

Trip to Europe to see Pearl Jam and meet some fantastic people on this board. Too many great people to list. 
    Trip to the Home show on September 10th and meeting up with friends from California that we met in Taormina in 2017
    Trip to Wrigley and getting to meet Mcgruff10 and his wife outside before the show and the wild weather that ensued 
    Trip with the whole family to Boston to see the city with my kids and take in the two shows.
    Thankful to my wife and family for supporting me/us with our PJ addiction. Without them I would not be able see these guys as much as I have. 

Lowlights 

Explosion at my work when I was not there and luckily no one was killed or seriously hurt. 

Congrats on your new daughter.

You at Irving?

Post edited by Jbarker on
  • Stickman24Stickman24 Posts: 210
    edited December 2018
    Poncier said:
    Highlights

I married 2 people (first time I ever did that)

Polygamy?
    Lol no. A couple. My Brother in law and his wife. I officiated. 
    Post edited by Stickman24 on
  • Jason7192Jason7192 Southern Indiana Posts: 311
    Highlights:
    Went to N1 & N2 at Wrigley
    Several other concerts family and/or friends
    Took the kids to Disney World
    Ran a new personal best marathon 2:42:44 

Lowlights:
    I really don't have much to complain about. I sold my Jeep Wrangler, which was sad for me, but I've got a good life if that's the worst of my issues. 

Wishing a happy 2019 for all!
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Highlights:

got married! 
    Went to Hawaii
    3 Pearl Jam shows
    front row for Tenacious D

lowlights: 

terrible roomate situation 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Highlights:

Spending a few days in Washington state to check out hurricane ridge and a few PJ Shows
    Getting promoted (sort of.. promotion that starts at less pay.. lol)
    Winning an award for how well I performed at the old job
    Foo Fighters In Vancouver
    Camping - All four times

• RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    edited December 2018
    riley540 said:
    Highlights:

got married! 

lowlights: 

terrible roomate situation 
    I guess the marriage isn’t going well. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Highlights:
    anything related to my son
    meeting Jeff Tweedy 

Lowlights:
    being diagnosed with White Matter Disease 
    my son’s mom being okay with my son playing football next season after said diagnosis 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Highlight:  Anticipating the annual 7" single.

Lowlight:  Yeah, you guessed it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• WaitnSince67WaitnSince67 Milton, Ontario Canada Posts: 79
    Highlight
    This one is easy for me. I made my bucket list trip, by myself, to Seattle for both shows. Did everything I wanted to, met absolutely amazing people. Attending the MOPOP viewing with fellow 10Club fans, getting merch, getting a quick pic with Boom! Got to spend endless hours in lines and venues around the city just absorbing all the fanboy moments, listening to others, participating in conversations.... feeling like a part of this Pearl Jam community. Got to hear Even Flow while seeing the tip of the Space Needle in the distance. Got as close as I’ll ever to Mike McCready in the pit for night 2. Caught my first ever guitar pic! And then returning and seeing how happy my wife and kids were when I told them about my experiences. 

Lowlight
    sadly this is is just as easy as the first part. Within a few weeks of returning home, I was diagnosed with cancer. Surgery followed, which wasn’t fun, and was then told it had spread.  I have just stared chemotherapy for this awful disease and, while it hasn’t been off to a great start, the first steps have been taken down this next path. 

2019 Highlights 
    KICKING CANCERS ASS!!  (And a new album from the band)
    Washington, DC (June 14, 1998)
    Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018)
    Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018)
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171

2019 Highlights 
    KICKING CANCERS ASS!!  
    All the best, hope you kick it completely.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    Highlight - London Night 1
    Lowlight - London Canceled Night 2
    Kearnsy
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    My highlights are spending time with my family and friends. Traveling with an amazing group of people to Spain and Portugal, that Barcelona show still blows me away, that crowd was simply amazing. Also squeezing in the Iron Maiden show in Lisbon was like a dream come true for me, seeing them overseas for the first time and the crowd reaction really showed me how the crowds in the states suck.

One huge lowlight - One of my best friends passed away unexpectedly just three weeks ago on November 28th.  I don't use this word often but it left us devastated. He was like a brother to me, we did so much together as a group and always made sure we got together no matter what, even during the holidays. He was one of those people that no one could say a bad word about, he had over 400 people show up to his wake. I can't shake the lump in my throat anytime I think abort him, I miss him so much.

Cherish the time you have with your family and fiends, you never know when the last time you'll see or talk to them.

RIP James.

NYPJ
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    My highlight was seeing Pearl Jam in Chicago with my friend Jason, our first times in Chicago and his first show...waiting out the rain and then hearing The Beatles Rain. I will never forget that moment as long as I live. I cant stop listening to it on the boot. Amazing.

Lowlight, lost my dad in February to cancer. Found out this week my best friend and hero has cancer and the prognosis is not good. We were in a band in the 90s, then I got a job and he followed his dream. I was always so jealous of him. 

You just never know when everything in your life can change in an instant, so you have to try to be happy and grateful for everyday and everyone you know. 
  • London night 1
    London night 2 being cancelled 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)