I can't afford my Holy Grail.

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I'm of the camp that says that if it gives you financial hardship, skip it.  It's a thing-- not a necessary thing.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    deadendp said:
    I'm of the camp that says that if it gives you financial hardship, skip it.  It's a thing-- not a necessary thing.  
    That thing didn’t exist two weeks ago and life was fine without too.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited December 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    lolobugg said:

someone brought a life size cutout of ED to the Louisville show in 2016

That's only 5'4" right?
    Lol.  I remember when I met Ed for the first time I couldn't believe how short he was.  (and I am only 5' 8"!)
    First time?! How many times did you meet him? My wife was pretty jealous when I told her. 

Also OP you have to factor in those custom fees as well. Brutal!
    Three times. Very very down to earth cool dude. 
    You need to spread the Ed. You are cut off.

It does make the opening of a new credit card argument make more sense though. :wink:
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    lolobugg said:

That's only 5'4" right?
    Lol.  I remember when I met Ed for the first time I couldn't believe how short he was.  (and I am only 5' 8"!)
    First time?! How many times did you meet him? My wife was pretty jealous when I told her. 

Huh, I had no idea Lukin was based on you.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    lolobugg said:

That's only 5'4" right?

If we follow this through....McGruff may be responsible for 'slow Lukin'. Perhaps on one of his bimonthly beers with Ed he suggested it be slowed down a tad? 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    lolobugg said:

That's only 5'4" right?

i used to like you. 

now i will not be soliciting advice from Too Tough McGruff. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Open up a new credit card and pay it off over 12 months. 
    That can be a very dangerous road to take. I would recommend against doing that.
    Right on, but if you make all your payments on time your credit score will go up ;)
    Yah, but usually if you lack the disposable income to save up for something, you lack the disposable income to pay it off.   Never buy discretionary items on debt.   Debt should only be used for tangible life improving things, maybe just homes :)
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    lolobugg said:

That's only 5'4" right?

Now we know why you didn't get side stage tickets for Wrigley. 

You just like meeting him because it makes you feel tall? :lol:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Jason7192Jason7192 Southern Indiana Posts: 311
    tbergs said:
    Right on, but if you make all your payments on time your credit score will go up ;)

But opening a new line of credit can also lower your credit score. It's a vicious cycle.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Zod said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    That can be a very dangerous road to take. I would recommend against doing that.
    Yah, but usually if you lack the disposable income to save up for something, you lack the disposable income to pay it off.   Never buy discretionary items on debt.   Debt should only be used for tangible life improving things, maybe just homes :)
    My sarcasm failed here, probably because I didn't add this /s. I brought it up mainly because of a discussion we were having in the AMT the other day about the stupidity of credit scores. I've never had a credit card and never plan to have one. I'm with you, debt for homes is about it.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I see credit reports every day in my profession.  Too much, or too little, use of credit will hurt your score. You have to find the right balance. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    tbergs said:
    Zod said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    My sarcasm failed here, probably because I didn't add this /s. I brought it up mainly because of a discussion we were having in the AMT the other day about the stupidity of credit scores. I've never had a credit card and never plan to have one. I'm with you, debt for homes is about it.
    Sorry I missed the Sarcasm :)  Credit Cards aren't bad if you pay them off every month.  They did start as a convenience thing.  Now it's because it's all crooked.   Credit Card companies charge hidden fee's to merchants.  Merchants raise their prices to compensate for those fee's.  It's not often merchants post separate fee's for credit card or cas.  Thus people end up paying the higher prices regardless of their form of payment.   You may as well pay with credit and collect rewards so you recapture a portion of those hidden swipe fee's your paying :)

Credit Scores make sense.  At least mostly.  Except for when you're new and don't have a score, it's a measure of your ability to handle debt.  If you have available revolving credit, but pay it off every month the score keeps going up.  If you have revolving credit but use too much of it, the score goes down.  If you apply for lots of credit products it goes down.  If you miss payments it goes down.   It's a crude estimator of the probability you'll default on money you're trying to borrow.

Also nice to see I'm not the only once in the finance industry on this board :)

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Zod said:
    tbergs said:
    Zod said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sorry I missed the Sarcasm :)  Credit Cards aren't bad if you pay them off every month.  They did start as a convenience thing.  Now it's because it's all crooked.   Credit Card companies charge hidden fee's to merchants.  Merchants raise their prices to compensate for those fee's.  It's not often merchants post separate fee's for credit card or cas.  Thus people end up paying the higher prices regardless of their form of payment.   You may as well pay with credit and collect rewards so you recapture a portion of those hidden swipe fee's your paying :)

Credit Scores make sense.  At least mostly.  Except for when you're new and don't have a score, it's a measure of your ability to handle debt.  If you have available revolving credit, but pay it off every month the score keeps going up.  If you have revolving credit but use too much of it, the score goes down.  If you apply for lots of credit products it goes down.  If you miss payments it goes down.   It's a crude estimator of the probability you'll default on money you're trying to borrow.

Also nice to see I'm not the only once in the finance industry on this board :)

"Credit Card companies charge hidden fee's to merchants.  Merchants raise their prices to compensate for those fee's."

There are exceptions.  My wife and her business partner have ran a used bookstore for 35 years (with my help for the last 17).  They've never had to deal with hidden fees.  Those fees are well understood and paid every month.  And they have never raised the price of any book as a result of incurring those fees.  (Like almost everything, used book prices have gone up but for other reasons related to inflation.) For small purchases, we kindly ask customers if they have cash or can write a check but we never turn down a credit card sale and we never price gouge.  I don't think they would have lasted 35 years if that were the case. 

I think the same is true for many small businesses. 

OP, as for the poster, my advice is make sure your living expenses are covered, set some money aside to cover the unforeseen, and then think about how much discretionary cash you have for things like posters.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Become a sex-worker
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Agreed that they won't be worth what they are selling for. Also, I shudder to think what these 2XL prints would cost to frame.
    I don't even think I'd have room for the tube that would be needed to ship it in, let alone store.
  • kramer73 said:
    Agreed that they won't be worth what they are selling for. Also, I shudder to think what these 2XL prints would cost to frame.
    I don't even think I'd have room for the tube that would be needed to ship it in, let alone store.
    I've seen one up close and it's bigger than a bazooka...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    lolobugg said:

That's only 5'4" right?

Well Lukin is my maiden name.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    That’s not your grail - that’s a gimmick. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    100 Pacer said:
    That’s not your grail - that’s a gimmick. 
    I don't even understand how Ames justified making them.  I would have rather them reprinted in different colors in the normal size.
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557

Were these not for sale in Seattle in a studio space or pop-up?

A German couple I met, relayed the story that they bought one right then and there. Framed and everything I thought.

Selling a run of prints now just seems to lessen the uniqueness of that earlier offering.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Jbarker said:

A German couple I met, relayed the story that they bought one right then and there. Framed and everything I thought.

Selling a run of prints now just seems to lessen the uniqueness of that earlier offering.

If they are advertised as a run of 100 and they did not sell out in Seattle then it makes sense that they sell the remaining prints no? 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    kramer73 said:
    I've seen one up close and it's bigger than a bazooka...
    that's what she said
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    t
    PJNB said:
    Jbarker said:

If they are advertised as a run of 100 and they did not sell out in Seattle then it makes sense that they sell the remaining prints no?

Totally, yes.

But i don't think that was the understanding back in Seattle in August. It sounded as if they found this gallery with massive framed prints and bought one that looked amazing, as if it was the only one available. Had to wait a few days to pick it up. mind you it was over slices of dominoes down the street from Safeco at about 1:00am. and they spoke German-English and we spoke Canadian-English.

• Wow....between this and the Moline, I'm thinking about become a tractor artist.
  • 5 3/4" x 3 7/8" ink on paper. $500 shipped.
    Sorry op. Good luck.
  • Epic.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    5 3/4" x 3 7/8" ink on paper. $500 shipped.
    Sorry op. Good luck.
    PM SENT
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• tbergs said:
    Zod said:
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Credit cards are very important to have. Nobody should be purchasing items online utilizing a debit card or pulling directly from a bank account, it’s just not wise. Credit cards offer consumer protection. Its unfortunate some people cannot control themselves, but painting credit cards as all bad is not accurate.
  • $677 Canadian with the shipping. Having a really tough time justifying that.
    Mine too, same dilemma. I have two mint condition ticket stubs that go with that poster as well.
    "This melody, inside of me, still searches for a solution."
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    They need to release 2XL ticket stubs to be framed with these posters. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore