Options

Strat Wiring

Maybe someone can help me with this. I'm trying to wire up a Strat with the SSL-5 tapped, in the bridge spot. I have a push/pull tone knob for the PU. I want the 5 way switch to work like normal, then have the push/pull knob dedicated to the tapped bridge. Then have a normal tone knob for the neck, and maybe the middle if it can wired that way. I dont care if the middle pickup doesnt have a tone, if it cant be connected to the 1st tone (neck).

Right now it is wired up then when the bridge is not tapped the tone knob works for it, but once I pull the knob and the tap the single coil, the tone no longer functions for the bridge but now works for the middle PU. But it does not have any effect on the middle if the knob is pushed.

Thanks if anyone can help with this. I'm guessing I have a wire or two in the wrong place since it is so close to being wired up right I just don't know which one.

Comments

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    It will be difficult to help much without seeing it of course, but have you experimented with which lugs on the tone pot you have which pickup leads going to?

If you can, crimp or solder alligator clips to the leads and experiment from there. Once you find the configuration you're looking for, solder it up properly.

You aren't likely to damage anything since were talking about very low voltages.

Good luck!

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    That seems like it would take a long time to figure it out that way....
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Well, not really. There are only a few lugs on the tone pot and you already have the 5-way switch wired, right?

Also, have you looked for schematics for the configuration you're attempting? If you don't have it already, Seymour Duncan's website has a lot of free wiring diagrams for just about every possible way to wire a guitar.
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • Options
    I checked there but they don't have much at all for the SSL-5 tapped. The forums weren't much help either.
    There is like 6 lugs for the push/pull plus the normal 3, so that is 9 and that is assuming the 5 way switch isn't the reason why the tone knob switches pu depending if the knob is pushed or pulled. There could be a crossed wire in the 5 way that is causing the tone knob to act weird...

I really thought finding a push/pull set up for the SSL-5T in a strat would be pretty easy. Seemed like it would be a common wiring.

• Options
    I think I found a schematic for you. I may be misunderstanding what you have going on, but I thought this might help:
  • Options
    Also, I know your bridge pickup looks like a single coil, but it does have four conductors like a humbucker, correct?

If so, this should do the trick.