The Worst or Best Seat in the House Game

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
A little game that just sort of popped into my head.  Let's try it.

The scenario is this:  Someone comes up to you and offers you one of two free tickets to one of two shows and describes the kind of venue they will be playing in.  You can also name the date or general time frame like I did below.  One of the tickets is for what you would consider the worst seat in the house for one band and the other is for what you would consider the best seat in the house for the other band.  You have to pick one, but only one. 

You might also want to say what it is you based your choice on.

First person to choose goes on to make the next offer. 

To make it most interesting, try to think of two bands for which it would be most difficult to choose.  And you can choose any bands, even ones no longer with us.  Your selecting for the offer which seat is best and which is worst can make the choice more difficult.  Make it as tough to choose as possible. 

OK, here we go:

It's 1965.  Do you want the worst seat in the house to see The Beatles or the best seat in the house to see The Rolling Stones?  Both shows will be playing in a large stadium.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I’ll take the Stones. I don’t really know much of the Stones early catalog (mostly covers, no?), but I’m not a big fan of the Beatles. 

1983. Worst seat for Duran Duran or best seat for U2? Both bands have three studio albums, with breakthroughs Rio & War. Shows are outdoor amphitheaters.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Best Seats for U2 - easy choicem- that was their best stuff

Best seats for ELO or Worst Seats for Jethro Tull  - Both are at Madison Square Garden. 

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Oh, hell. I was going to answer the U2/DD question but missed it. My optimal positioning to Jethro Tull is in another country, so I guess ELO wins by default. I doubt it would be my favourite concert. 

1983, best seats for Talking Heads or worst seats for David Bowie, outdoor amphitheater at Forest Hills, NY. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Talking Heads not even close.

1995 at Red Rocks...

Pearl Jam worst seat in the house or front row for Page & Plant?
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    P&P, without a doubt.

but I have no “next up.”
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    OMG, often! jethro tull, in the day, was one of the best bands ever. ELO basically sucked.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Look at Wobbie with his OMG. So cute. 
    I hate Jethro Tull with a deep and abiding passion. Damn Scottish flautist. 
    jethro tull > pearl jam.

carry on with the game.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    jethro tull > pearl jam.

carry on with the game.

We can't. You didn't include your question. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    A little glitch (haha!) but so far it looks like this might be fun.  Thanks for jumping in folks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Wobbie said:
    jethro tull > pearl jam.

carry on with the game.

We can't. You didn't include your question. 
    That's OK, here we go:

1985, The Replacements best seat on a good night or worst seat to see The Clash?  5,000 capacity theater.

edited December 2018
    The Clash, no doubt

1982 Best seats for Scorpions with Rainbow opening or worst seats for Van Halen (original) touring for Diver Down. Both at MSG.
    Post edited by njnancy on
    We're in NYC?

Okay, I'm going to check out CBGBs instead.

1994. REM or Green Day. 
    We're in NYC?

1994. REM or Green Day. 
    You have to answer the previous question. 

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Definitely Van Halen.

1987. Worst seat in the house for Metallica wrapping up their Master of Puppets tour or best seat in the house for Guns N Roses kicking off the Appetite for Destruction tour. Midsize theater. 
    njnancy said:
    We're in NYC?

1994. REM or Green Day. 

I answered. None of the above.

But at least I offered a new question. 
    njnancy said:
    We're in NYC?

1994. REM or Green Day. 

I knew this game would get a little whirly.  :lol:

Just keep it simple ladies and gentlemen:  One band worst seat, another band best seat, year, type of venue.  Boom, boom, boom.  Oh, yeah, and boom.
    bbiggs said:
    Definitely Van Halen.

1987. Worst seat in the house for Metallica wrapping up their Master of Puppets tour or best seat in the house for Guns N Roses kicking off the Appetite for Destruction tour. Midsize theater. 
    G&R.  Not the biggest fan but if Tommy Stinson happens to be on bass, I wanna be there!

One for the few oldies here:

1967, Monterrey Pop Festival (crowd estimated vary but probably about 50,000).   Jefferson Airplane with Grace Slick, best seats or Big Brother and the Holding Company with Janis Joplin, worst seat (probably standing)?

• SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited December 2018
    Best seats for the Airplane! 

1992 Midsize amphitheater near Sugarbush, Vermont...

Would you rather see the Grateful Dead with a declining Jerry in the front row? You’re not really sure what you’re gonna get from them. Or would you rather see the up and coming Phish that are starting to make bigtime waves in their home state and around the country. They’re about to explode but you’d have to see them in the back row. You’ve never seen either band before and will never be able to see either band again. 
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited December 2018
    Back row phish!  I was really into phish when they dropped billy breathes and a live one.  

Worst seat in the house:
    first Pearl Jam show 10/22/90

beat seat in the house:
    nirvana unplugged show
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Worst seat for PJ by a mile. I’ve never been a Nirvana fan. 

1955. Best seat in the house for up and coming Elvis or worst seat for established icon Frank Sinatra. Both are theatres. 
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    We're in NYC?

1994. REM or Green Day. 

Just keep it simple ladies and gentlemen:  One band worst seat, another band best seat, year, type of venue.  Boom, boom, boom.  Oh, yeah, and boom.
    bbiggs said:
    Definitely Van Halen.

G&R.  Not the biggest fan but if Tommy Stinson happens to be on bass, I wanna be there!

1967, Monterrey Pop Festival (crowd estimated vary but probably about 50,000).   Jefferson Airplane with Grace Slick, best seats or Big Brother and the Holding Company with Janis Joplin, worst seat (probably standing)?
    Sorry brian. We’ll just blame Wobbie :lol: 
  • Elvis of course.  I Can't stand Sinatra...

1982 Best seat(GA) to see Minor Threat or worst seat(Way in the back) for The Misfits? 

500 person club.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    The Misfits.

It's the summer of '92 and you can get front row seats to the amazing Soundgarden or be at the back of the house to witness an upstart new band called Tool.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Hmmm tough one, but can’t pass up front row Soundgarden in early 90s.

The Axis 1996, small club in Boston...

Front row for Three Fish or back row for Type O Negative?
    Central Park 15

brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    We're in NYC?

1994. REM or Green Day. 

bbiggs said:
    Definitely Van Halen.

Oh, poor Wobbie!  :lol: 

Don't know either Three Fish or Type O Negative.  Someone else gets to go!

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    We're in NYC?

1994. REM or Green Day. 

bbiggs said:
    Definitely Van Halen.

Three fish was Jeff Ament’s side project in the mid 90’s. They were pretty good, definitely worth checking out.
    Central Park 15

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    We're in NYC?

1994. REM or Green Day. 

bbiggs said:
    Definitely Van Halen.

Three fish was Jeff Ament’s side project in the mid 90’s. They were pretty good, definitely worth checking out.
    I. Hung with Jeff after a three fish show back in the 96-98 range at wetlands, ny.  Coolest dude ever. Drank Heinekens and talked Montana and snowboarding. Awesome guy. 

So, looks like McGruff has gone with Three Fish.

1994. Rod Stewart holds what is estimated (in retrospect) to be the biggest concert ever held, a free, open-air New Year's Eve show on the beach in Rio to allow those who couldn't afford concerts to attend. Safe to say that almost any seat would objectively be bad.

Vs. ....... Kiss :lol:, who apparently toured in 1994. Stadium show I would say, best seat.
    So, looks like McGruff has gone with Three Fish.

1994. Rod Stewart holds what is estimated (in retrospect) to be the biggest concert ever held, a free, open-air New Year's Eve show on the beach in Rio to allow those who couldn't afford concerts to attend. Safe to say that almost any seat would objectively be bad.

Vs. ....... Kiss :lol:, who apparently toured in 1994. Stadium show I would say, best seat.
    Come
    on bud, don’t go there!  Calling spiritual! Lol