Options

Woman dies from rare brain-eating disease after using neti pot

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    That's sad.  All neti pot/ nasal flush kits say right in the instructions, USE DISTILLED WATER ONLY. 

Don't let this article dissuade you from using one.  They are really helpful for those of us with allergies or sinus issues. 

I use this kind:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Me too, Brian. I think we’ve spoken about this before? ;)

And yes, using contaminated water is never a good idea for anything. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I wanted to share this article and wasnt really sure where to post it. I hope you all dont mind if i share it in here. Im sure most have seen this article, its been headline news all day today. I think its pretty wild and wouldnt want anyone to miss seeing it.

https://m-huffpost-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c0aad2de4b0ab8cf69306c3/amp?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHCAFYAYABAQ==#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:
    I wanted to share this article and wasnt really sure where to post it. I hope you all dont mind if i share it in here. Im sure most have seen this article, its been headline news all day today. I think its pretty wild and wouldnt want anyone to miss seeing it.

https://m-huffpost-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c0aad2de4b0ab8cf69306c3/amp?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHCAFYAYABAQ==#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s
    Whoa! 

File under, "Performance Art"?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,235
    brianlux said:
    That's sad.  All neti pot/ nasal flush kits say right in the instructions, USE DISTILLED WATER ONLY. 

Don't let this article dissuade you from using one.  They are really helpful for those of us with allergies or sinus issues. 

I use this kind:

@brianlux I've got sinus issues too. Actually having surgery next week to clean up a deviated septum and remove polyps.

Just started using a netipot along with a spray. I'm using the distilled water but I guess I have not been cleaning it correctly as I've just been running scolding hot water through it for a few minutes when I'm done. I've only been using it a week though.

I'm curious what your routine is. Do you use this every day? If so, how do you clean and how often do you clean it? Seems like a pretty tedious cleaning process to use on a daily basis to me. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I use this kind:

@brianlux I've got sinus issues too. Actually having surgery next week to clean up a deviated septum and remove polyps.

Just started using a netipot along with a spray. I'm using the distilled water but I guess I have not been cleaning it correctly as I've just been running scolding hot water through it for a few minutes when I'm done. I've only been using it a week though.

I'm curious what your routine is. Do you use this every day? If so, how do you clean and how often do you clean it? Seems like a pretty tedious cleaning process to use on a daily basis to me. 

I use the sinus rinse pretty much as needed, which varies a lot through the seasons.  When I'm feeling more congested than usual, I use it almost every day.  This time of year, not very often at all.

As for cleaning, I figure the bottle only needs a rinse in lukewarm water with the squeeze bulb removed.  Then I run the same through the bulb tube and bulb.  It doesn't seem to need more cleaning than that.

I hope your sinus situation improves, Juggler!

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,235
    edited January 2020
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I use this kind:

I use the sinus rinse pretty much as needed, which varies a lot through the seasons.  When I'm feeling more congested than usual, I use it almost every day.  This time of year, not very often at all.

As for cleaning, I figure the bottle only needs a rinse in lukewarm water with the squeeze bulb removed.  Then I run the same through the bulb tube and bulb.  It doesn't seem to need more cleaning than that.

Thanks Brian!

When you're rinsing yours out, are you using distilled water for that too or just tap? I googled cleaning it today and I was seeing stuff about using dish detergent and scrubbing it thoroughly and then rinsing it with distilled water to get the soap out. Also saw that some people put it in the dishwasher after every use. Seems like a lot to me......but then again, I'd rather not contract a brain eating disease!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    I think about this thread every time I use my Neil Med!  Hahaha
    I boil any water that I use, whether distilled or bottled spring water, then let it cool in a disinfected measuring cup that I cover with a paper towel. Sometimes I'm lazy and just microwave the water for two minutes in the same measuring cup. I do this about 30 minutes before I plan to rinse, usually at bed time, because it takes that long to cool before I pour it into the bottle. I disinfect everything in the microwave before each use. I just rinse the bottle and the cap with tap water and zap it for 30 seconds. I worry more about injecting melted plastic up my nose than brain eating amoebas.  When I'm done, I don't do any more than rinse everything with hot tap water. 
    I also really hope I don't get a brain eating disease!!
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I use this kind:

Thanks Brian!

When you're rinsing yours out, are you using distilled water for that too or just tap? I googled cleaning it today and I was seeing stuff about using dish detergent and scrubbing it thoroughly and then rinsing it with distilled water to get the soap out. Also saw that some people put it in the dishwasher after every use. Seems like a lot to me......but then again, I'd rather not contract a brain eating disease!

No. I just rinse with tap water, but we've had our water tested and it's good.  We used bottled water because our water is very hard and we have a water softener which helps save the plumbing, but it's clean water otherwise so I just rinse the nasal components with tap water and let them dry.

I'm guessing the brain eating disease thing is rare but if you have any doubts about your water quality, maybe get it tested.  These days, that's probably a good idea anyway.  Let me know how it goes.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    my wife does this with tap water and ever since I saw this article I've been terrified and she just shrugs it off. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    my wife does this with tap water and ever since I saw this article I've been terrified and she just shrugs it off. 

Maybe buy her a few gallons of distilled water for Valentines day.  What could be more romantic than a gift of distilled water that say, "I love you do"?  Seriously though, it's inexpensive and maybe if you bought some for her she would use it.  Maybe also get your water tested for bacteria and other pollutants- probably not a bad idea anyway these days!