SpaceX and all the good space stuff

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
edited December 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
I love to follow everything that SpaceX is up to, which is a lot! I'm also excited by all the new things happening with space exploration in general, and all the technologies coming out related to that work. I figured a thread for all the SpaceX launch news and the scientific advancements and fun happening with space exploration in general would be nice to have. :)  This is not meant as a place for people who are anti-space exploration. This is for those who understand why it's awesome and not a waste of money. :)

Just yesterday this happened:

SpaceX Rocket Makes Historic 3rd Launch Into Space with 64 Satellites On Board

And today this is happening:

SpaceX Dragon Cargo Ship Launches to Space Station Today. Here's How to Watch Live.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Post edited by PJ_Soul on

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018
    And I love this nose cone catching rig, lol. So simple yet somehow so cool. I think it's just about the "just fucking catch it in a net" factor, lol.
    I am really glad they are reusing all this crazy expensive equipment. That's such an important consideration - I'm glad Musk is making a big point about that factor.

SpaceX Just Misses Catching Rocket Nose Cone — But Still Plans to Reuse It

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I'd prefer we solve earth basic problems before we destroy space...but that's just me.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I'd prefer we solve earth basic problems before we destroy space...but that's just me.
    Thanks for posting what I specifically stated wasn't welcome in this thread.
    edited December 2018
    And here is what I thought was an extremely cool new photo taken by the Mars InSight craft the other day. Crazy! Say "cheese" everyone. ;) Not sure what the other two things are... should I assume Mercury and Venus?? That would mean they're lined up rather spectacularly. Or are they just stars, or a couple of the other planets?

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Thanks for starting this thread. I'm a bit strapped for time right now but will try to come back to read the links above and respond. I'm no astrophysicist but am happy to discuss the wonderful coolness that is space. Being a SF nerd, I was at WorldCon this summer and went to all of the talks on space science, from asteroids to SETI and everything else. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJ_Soul said:
    And I love this nose cone catching rig, lol. So simple yet somehow so cool. I think it's just about the "just fucking catch it in a net" factor, lol.
    I am really glad they are reusing all this crazy expensive equipment. That's such an important consideration - I'm glad Musk is making a big point about that factor.

SpaceX Just Misses Catching Rocket Nose Cone — But Still Plans to Reuse It

Okay, I just read this and am getting a strong sense of Iain Banks in the naming of vessels, particularly the Just Read The Instructions

(RIP, Iain Banks)

I'd prefer we have people respect the basic purpose of the originator of a thread, but that's just me. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJ_Soul said:
    And here is what I thought was an extremely cool new photo taken by the Mars InSight craft the other day. Crazy! Say "cheese" everyone. ;) Not sure what the other two things are... should I assume Mercury and Venus?? That would mean they're lined up rather spectacularly. Or are they just stars, or a couple of the other planets?

Hate to break it to you but this is just a screenshot from an astronomy software package.  This circled the net a few years ago (somwhere around 2012-13 I think). It is a correct representation of the Mars twilight sky at the time, however, and the other two planets would be Jupiter and Venus, it’s just that it’s not a real photo. It is still pretty freakin cool though, and real photos do exist (from satellite telescopes & Curiosity), but this one got debunked.
  • Space is amazing no matter what
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I love to follow everything that SpaceX is up to, which is a lot! I'm also excited by all the new things happening with space exploration in general, and all the technologies coming out related to that work. I figured a thread for all the SpaceX launch news and the scientific advancements and fun happening with space exploration in general would be nice to have. :)  This is not meant as a place for people who are anti-space exploration. This is for those who understand why it's awesome and not a waste of money. :)

Just yesterday this happened:

SpaceX Rocket Makes Historic 3rd Launch Into Space with 64 Satellites On Board

And today this is happening:

SpaceX Dragon Cargo Ship Launches to Space Station Today. Here's How to Watch Live.

You already know how I stand on the subject and I'll respect your wishes but to be honest, I do object to the idea of proposing the exclusion of dissenters from a conversation on these forums.  And not to be the pot calling the kettle black.  I tried the same thing on some long expired thread here and I got called on the mat for it.  Maybe they were right, maybe they were wrong.  But it's a difficult thing to expect.  You know people are going to give you some shit no matter what.  Sad to say, but that's the internet.

Anyway, I respectfully take my leave.  I've got the munchies anyhow, and need to remedy that situation!

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

If you do not like what people post ignore it...simple
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018
    If you disagree with a topic and can’t respect the OP’s wishes for discussing said topic, ignore it... simple.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    PJ took away the ignore option button the last time Netscape was updated.  

Only a human mind could conceivably think we could destroy space ... mass extinction due to a flying rock is inevitable at some point 
    Sorry, 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Sorry, 

I like the comma. It implies that there's a "but" there, without actually saying it ;)
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I love space. Space travel. The International Space Station holds a special place in my heart. NASA. The images we get to see (imagine being one of the lucky few who get to actually see some of those views). The unknown. 

I am totally tuned in when we make it to Mars.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    PJ_Soul said:

Hate to break it to you but this is just a screenshot from an astronomy software package.  This circled the net a few years ago (somwhere around 2012-13 I think). It is a correct representation of the Mars twilight sky at the time, however, and the other two planets would be Jupiter and Venus, it’s just that it’s not a real photo. It is still pretty freakin cool though, and real photos do exist (from satellite telescopes & Curiosity), but this one got debunked.
    Oh bummer. :frowning:
    I love space. Space travel. The International Space Station holds a special place in my heart. NASA. The images we get to see (imagine being one of the lucky few who get to actually see some of those views). The unknown. 

I am totally tuned in when we make it to Mars.
    Same.  As a very young kid, when all the other kids were into dinosaurs & dirt bikes, I was into outer space. I grew up on things like Star Trek, Doctor Who, Close Encounters, 2001, Jack Horkheimer's Star Hustler, Dr. Bob's Starlab (local astronomer, used to travel around the schools with an inflatable planetarium) - whether fictional or educational, I ate it up.  The first scale model I ever completed was the space shuttle Columbia.  I remember watching the Challenger launch live in school and begging my parents to buy me the Commemorative kit from NASA.  My dad worked for a company that built rocket boosters and entered me for a chance to win a trip to space camp in Alabama one year.  Unfortunately, I wasn't picked to go.  I actually wanted to major in astronomy in college but it wasn't offered at the local university, and my dickhead stepfather forced my mom to be totally against me going away to school where I could study what I wanted.  Now I'm stuck with a fucking math degree working in finance with a bunch of lazy dumbasses, but that's a tangent I won't get into because I'm in a good mood today.
    The question was posed a couple nights ago by a friend that if we were asked to volunteer for a Mars colonization mission, if we'd do it.  I didn't even flinch to answer with a definitive "yes."  There is nothing on this planet keeping me here and if I had the opportunity to be a pioneer in colonizing another planet, you're damn right I'd jump at the chance.  Hell, I'd just love to see space, from space.  I know there is a whole lot of nothing as far as the eye can see, but how cool would it be just to be out in the abyss?!
    edited December 2018
    The first-stage Falcon 9 rocket, which launched the Dragon Cargo, was meant to land on land after returning to Earth, but clearly something when wrong and it landed on water (see cool video of failed landing here: https://www.space.com/42648-spacex-failed-rocket-landing-attempt-video.html?utm_source=sdc-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20181206-sdc ).

As usual, Elon Musk was on Twitter discussing the whole thing... and it's Tweets like this, finishing his explanation of what went wrong by saying what they'll try next time, that make me admire him and what he does so much. I don't give a shit how weird he might act or anything like that (although I don't think he's very weird at all FWIW) - Musk is the kind of person we need doing these things (missteps and all). He is reactive, and so, so busy just 'going for it' - it seems like he's got something cool happening practically everyday, and he's learning something and re-thinking things after every single thing he does. And keeping the world informed about it constantly. I think it's great.

I have a question?  No worries, I will keep the thread integrity.  I read earlier in the week that the US is only booked with Russia until 2019 on the Soyuz ... it was also mentioned that both Boeing and SpaceX are a year behind schedule.  How does the US get their astronauts to the ISS?  It didn't sound like there was any room on the soyuz.   They were paying Russia 80 million a pop for the ride...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018
    I have a question?  No worries, I will keep the thread integrity.  I read earlier in the week that the US is only booked with Russia until 2019 on the Soyuz ... it was also mentioned that both Boeing and SpaceX are a year behind schedule.  How does the US get their astronauts to the ISS?  It didn't sound like there was any room on the soyuz.   They were paying Russia 80 million a pop for the ride...
    Only the Soyuz takes cosmonauts and astronauts to the ISS. All the Soyuz is is a transport for the ISS. It's a space shuttle. It only fits a few people at a time, so I'm not sure what you mean about there being no room.... Obviously they schedule people to go up in it... Yeah, sure, of course other space agencies are going to have to fund the trips if they want to use the shuttle. Russia's not doing it for free. But it's all a very cooperative kind of thing. The world's space agencies often collaborate, work together, share info, and share equipment.
    Not sure about Boeing and SpaceX being behind schedule... behind with what? I feel like all of their space projects are on a "we're doing the best we can" kind of basis, lol.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Only the Soyuz takes cosmonauts and astronauts to the ISS. All the Soyuz is is a transport for the ISS. It's a space shuttle. It only fits a few people at a time, so I'm not sure what you mean about there being no room.... Obviously they schedule people to go up in it... Yeah, sure, of course other space agencies are going to have to fund the trips if they want to use the shuttle. Russia's not doing it for free. But it's all a very cooperative kind of thing. The world's space agencies often collaborate, work together, share info, and share equipment.
    Not sure about Boeing and SpaceX being behind schedule... behind with what? I feel like all of their space projects are on a "we're doing the best we can" kind of basis, lol.
      I will look for the article.  Then we can discuss.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    NASA confirms delays in Boeing and SpaceX commercial crew flights

https://spacenews.com/nasa-confirms-delays-in-boeing-and-spacex-commercial-crew-flights/

I'm under the impression that NASA will be using one of these?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    NASA Has Finally Named a Winner in the SpaceX vs. Boeing Race to Send Astronauts Into Space

http://fortune.com/2018/08/03/spacex-boeing-nasa-iss-crewed-flight-tests/

Now we can discuss
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    The first-stage Falcon 9 rocket, which launched the Dragon Cargo, was meant to land on land after returning to Earth, but clearly something when wrong and it landed on water (see cool video of failed landing here: https://www.space.com/42648-spacex-failed-rocket-landing-attempt-video.html?utm_source=sdc-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20181206-sdc ).

As usual, Elon Musk was on Twitter discussing the whole thing... and it's Tweets like this, finishing his explanation of what went wrong by saying what they'll try next time, that make me admire him and what he does so much. I don't give a shit how weird he might act or anything like that (although I don't think he's very weird at all FWIW) - Musk is the kind of person we need doing these things (missteps and all). He is reactive, and so, so busy just 'going for it' - it seems like he's got something cool happening practically everyday, and he's learning something and re-thinking things after every single thing he does. And keeping the world informed about it constantly. I think it's great.

I never quite understood the "weird" claims either.  I guess that comes from not being a typical billionaire businessman in a suit doing typical billionaire businessman things, sitting back on a yacht while others do all the work for him.  He's involved first-hand, he's intelligent, informative, and takes ownership & responsibility.  I, too, am glad that we have someone like him who uses their wealth to try to advance our society instead of set us back out of fear of the unfamiliar.
    NASA Plans to Build a Moon-Orbiting Space Station: Here's What You Should Know

https://www.space.com/41763-nasa-lunar-orbiting-platform-gateway-basics.html

When I first read this, I thought this was cool...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:

I never quite understood the "weird" claims either.  I guess that comes from not being a typical billionaire businessman in a suit doing typical billionaire businessman things, sitting back on a yacht while others do all the work for him.  He's involved first-hand, he's intelligent, informative, and takes ownership & responsibility.  I, too, am glad that we have someone like him who uses their wealth to try to advance our society instead of set us back out of fear of the unfamiliar.
    There’s more than just being a nonconformists. Musk also made those really inappropriate comments alleging that the cave diver in that Thai case was a “pedo”, then said it was “strange” that he didn’t sue Musk I’d he was really innocent. That’s the worst that I’m aware of but there’s more that’s pretty odd, and somewhat vindictive. 
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

There’s more than just being a nonconformists. Musk also made those really inappropriate comments alleging that the cave diver in that Thai case was a “pedo”, then said it was “strange” that he didn’t sue Musk I’d he was really innocent. That’s the worst that I’m aware of but there’s more that’s pretty odd, and somewhat vindictive. 
    I thought the "pedo" comment was basically "justified". I mean, it was a really really bad choice of words and I don't think he should have used it, but I think Elon just had an angry emotional reaction to the fact that that guy was shitting on Musk's very sincere attempt to try and save those kids. He just made a mistake by using "pedo" as a strange random insult rather than "fuck face" or something like that, lol. I don't read anything more into that. I do think he needs to drop the term as a fucking insult obviously, because yeah, that's a bit odd. But if that's as weird as it gets, then he's not weird IMO, lol. I also don't think Musk is especially vindictive. I think he's just reacting to unwarranted criticism like a normal annoyed person, and I think his annoyance is warranted. I guess most people in his position would show a bit more restraint, and I'm sure he's aware that learning how to do that would be in his best interests, at least most of the time. I think he's just learning how to be super fucking famous, and trying to figure out how to be really open with the population about his work, which is important to him and us, and still somehow avoid slip ups and faux pas. It's very very difficult I think.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I thought the "pedo" comment was basically "justified". I mean, it was a really really bad choice of words and I don't think he should have used it, but I think Elon just had an angry emotional reaction to the fact that that guy was shitting on Musk's very sincere attempt to try and save those kids. He just made a mistake by using "pedo" as a strange random insult rather than "fuck face" or something like that, lol. I don't read anything more into that. I do think he needs to drop the term as a fucking insult obviously, because yeah, that's a bit odd. But if that's as weird as it gets, then he's not weird IMO, lol. I also don't think Musk is especially vindictive. I think he's just reacting to unwarranted criticism like a normal annoyed person, and I think his annoyance is warranted. I guess most people in his position would show a bit more restraint, and I'm sure he's aware that learning how to do that would be in his best interests, at least most of the time. I think he's just learning how to be super fucking famous, and trying to figure out how to be really open with the population about his work, which is important to him and us, and still somehow avoid slip ups and faux pas. It's very very difficult I think.
    No, I’m not buying that. I don’t believe that anyone accidentally calls someone a “pedo” as a general insult. He meant what he said, with no justification, and later on he doubled down on it and said it again. He responded like someone who typically gets adulation for his actions and was shocked that someone would call what he did unhelpful, which it was. Whether he made the offer out of a genuine attempt to help, or whether he made it for self-aggrandizement isn’t clear, but he certainly reacted pretty badly when he was called on it.