Where does PJ go with the next record?

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I say let them go wherever they want to go. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • The Avocado AlbumThe Avocado Album Posts: 38
    edited December 2018
    Wma31394 said:
    IMO, the band has been lacking on the last two efforts. Sure, there are some great songs, but overall it kind of just leaves me at "okay this is a rock band." Say what you will about Avocado, but the songwriting/energy beats mostly anything on Backspacer and a lot of LB. Pearl Jam is clearly at their best when they're politically charged and have something to say (as they've mentioned before). "Can't Deny Me" is an okay song, (I like it probably more than a lot of others, but I see its flaws) but I actually think that that leaves them in a pretty good place even if thats not one of the best songs. What do y'all think?
    (Also, I remember Stone saying something in one of the LB interviews that they were going in the direction of Pendulum and Infallible, and I like Pendulum enough for the atmosphere, but Infallible is meh.)
    I would say the band is at their worst when politically charged..

I'd disagree. Riot Act and Avocado are some of my favorite albums, and primarily because they're filled with the end-of-the-world disillusionment and angst that the Iraq War brought on the band. And the two of them represent it quite well; Riot Act is the fiery first-impulse reaction to fight the system or whatever, while Avocado is the contemplative resignation to the misery that the conflict has brought, and ends with a subtle gleam of hope for the future, a hope that was brought forward by the upbeat popish shound of Backspacer.
    That was 3 albums over the course of a 6 or seven year development. So far it seems like we might be getting just 1 out of the Trump era. But what gives me hope that they're still working on making new music is how royally pissed Eddie was during his stadium speeches in this summer's tour. He's definitely passionate about something, and I think it's safe to say that it'll easily spill over into the rest of the band. I think that wanting to provide a commentary on this country's political direction will breathe new air into their lungs that they were missing during most of the 2010's decade.
    My parent's attic - 2018
    My college dorm - 2019
  • Wma31394 said:
    IMO, the band has been lacking on the last two efforts. Sure, there are some great songs, but overall it kind of just leaves me at "okay this is a rock band." Say what you will about Avocado, but the songwriting/energy beats mostly anything on Backspacer and a lot of LB. Pearl Jam is clearly at their best when they're politically charged and have something to say (as they've mentioned before). "Can't Deny Me" is an okay song, (I like it probably more than a lot of others, but I see its flaws) but I actually think that that leaves them in a pretty good place even if thats not one of the best songs. What do y'all think?
    (Also, I remember Stone saying something in one of the LB interviews that they were going in the direction of Pendulum and Infallible, and I like Pendulum enough for the atmosphere, but Infallible is meh.)

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Wma31394 said:

Hahaha 
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    Correct Answer:

My turntable. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    That's me still running around the Pearl Jam please release an album snow wheel.

funny where did he go GIF

www.cluthelee.com
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 782
    mfc2006 said:
    I say let them go wherever they want to go. 

Agreed.  Just as long as they go to the studio.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018
    Wma31394 said:

:lol: Right? I think that was when they were at their best. I mean, back when they really meant it at least.
    (this is one the best gifs btw - top 10 of all time, lol. I also thought this movie was a bit underrated)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    PB11041 said:
    Correct Answer:

My turntable. 

you sir, are correct.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    Wma31394 said:

I'd disagree. Riot Act and Avocado are some of my favorite albums, and primarily because they're filled with the end-of-the-world disillusionment and angst that the Iraq War brought on the band. And the two of them represent it quite well; Riot Act is the fiery first-impulse reaction to fight the system or whatever, while Avocado is the contemplative resignation to the misery that the conflict has brought, and ends with a subtle gleam of hope for the future, a hope that was brought forward by the upbeat popish shound of Backspacer.
    That was 3 albums over the course of a 6 or seven year development. So far it seems like we might be getting just 1 out of the Trump era. But what gives me hope that they're still working on making new music is how royally pissed Eddie was during his stadium speeches in this summer's tour. He's definitely passionate about something, and I think it's safe to say that it'll easily spill over into the rest of the band. I think that wanting to provide a commentary on this country's political direction will breathe new air into their lungs that they were missing during most of the 2010's decade.
    Ed royally pissed? I admit I was only at Chicago 1, but all he said was "vote...you know what to do." He never mentioned trump, and he didn't in 2016 either. If he can't muster a word about this insanity, the days of overtly political ed at shows are gone, sadly.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Need a voice in Rock to bring it back to it's natural roots and limit the Electronic/Pop overlay that is current in the genre.

Can only pray for a Album with The Who fire, Pink Floyd dynamic instrumentals, covered with that unique early Seattle sound.
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    the answer will come when we know who’s producing it... please have Brendan stay home on this one 
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Need a voice in Rock to bring it back to it's natural roots and limit the Electronic/Pop overlay that is current in the genre.

Can only pray for a Album with The Who fire, Pink Floyd dynamic instrumentals, covered with that unique early Seattle sound.
    For a band with the talent of Pearl Jam, would it be impossible for them to emulate an album like Vs, Vitalogy, or Yield again? Maybe they've been trying to do so all along but it's just impossible. (Just random thoughts).
  • NewJPage said:
    Wma31394 said:

Ed royally pissed? I admit I was only at Chicago 1, but all he said was "vote...you know what to do." He never mentioned trump, and he didn't in 2016 either. If he can't muster a word about this insanity, the days of overtly political ed at shows are gone, sadly.
    He hammered it at almost all of the US venues. Especially Missoula, since that was the focus of the show. But he was making offhand references to it left and right elsewhere.
    My parent's attic - 2018
    My college dorm - 2019
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    edited December 2018
    rummy said:
    Need a voice in Rock to bring it back to it's natural roots and limit the Electronic/Pop overlay that is current in the genre.

For a band with the talent of Pearl Jam, would it be impossible for them to emulate an album like Vs, Vitalogy, or Yield again? Maybe they've been trying to do so all along but it's just impossible. (Just random thoughts).
    Be careful with those random thoughts, 'cause people over here is quick telling you "stop wanting the band to do another (insert-album-title-here-especially-one-of-the-first-three), they've already done it".
    On a serious note, when you say "emulate an album" you mean its success or the way the album sounds overall? The days of selling million copies of an album are long gone anyway, no matter how good the album can possibly be.
    I just want PJ to be more 'loose' and jamming in the studio.. Let the songs fu**ing breathe, dam. Don't cut songs in a silly way when they get to the best part (the fade out at the end of Lightning Bolt, the song not the album, is criminal). Let Mike soloing for entire minutes if he feels it, longer instrumental parts in the middle of songs, more wild riffing and stuff. I don't want to be disrespectful in any way about Eddie, but I think he should really consider to write songs with fewer lyrics and let the music speak more. Of the Earth style. This is what I hope. Enough with these punkish songs with too much fast words where he usually does a big mess when it comes time to sing them live.
    Post edited by Jammalambo on
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    The fade outs at the end of life wasted and lightning bolt are criminal. Guitar solos aren't bad.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    If I were in that inner circle and asked for input I would say, "OK guys, look, you're in your fifties.  This could be your last opportunity to kick some ass.  Look what your buddy Neil did at 50.  Yeah, that right, Stone.  Mirror Ball.  Crank it up, boys.  It ain't gonna get easier much further down the line.  Believe me."  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 717
    after 5 plus years of no new PJ, it will be a happy new year with whatever they put out. if you have no expectations, you can never be disappointed
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • pjfaninindianapjfaninindiana Northeast Indiana Posts: 311
    Wma31394 said:
    PB11041 said:
    I am not big into reruns, and I am a bit of an outlier in that I liked Lightning Bolt a lot.  I have no interest in wanting to hear Pearl Jam try to repeat themselves, so whatever it is I prefer it is music that inspires them (which is generally what they have always done) than any attempt to reach back to some godforsaken glory day.  

:clap:  Thank you!  Some of these comments here make me wonder why some people are even still fans.  Always longing for the next No Code or Vitalogy, claiming the last 2-4 albums aren't good, or that the band lost their creativity or have become uninspired.  It's a good thing these guys aren't as snarky as Billy Corgan.  It's no wonder he gets pissed off at fans when they keep asking him to make Siamese & Mellon Collie 2.
    You can still be a fan while saying the past few albums haven't been that good..it has nothing to do with repeating themselves, it's just about the quality of work on recent albums.
    Correct! The quality of the past few albums is shit honestly. Lame music and lyrics like "hear the sirens" or "she's a lightning bolt" or "let's just breathe" or "got some if you need it" Come on! The band is so much better than this! And they should be embarrassed by this! I hope they "go with" stepping up their game and challenging themselves and move forward, instead of trying to have hit songs (which were no good by the way) , which it seems like that's what they were trying to do the last few albums. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    Wma31394 said:
    PB11041 said:
    I am not big into reruns, and I am a bit of an outlier in that I liked Lightning Bolt a lot.  I have no interest in wanting to hear Pearl Jam try to repeat themselves, so whatever it is I prefer it is music that inspires them (which is generally what they have always done) than any attempt to reach back to some godforsaken glory day.  

:clap:  Thank you!  Some of these comments here make me wonder why some people are even still fans.  Always longing for the next No Code or Vitalogy, claiming the last 2-4 albums aren't good, or that the band lost their creativity or have become uninspired.  It's a good thing these guys aren't as snarky as Billy Corgan.  It's no wonder he gets pissed off at fans when they keep asking him to make Siamese & Mellon Collie 2.
    You can still be a fan while saying the past few albums haven't been that good..it has nothing to do with repeating themselves, it's just about the quality of work on recent albums.
    Correct! The quality of the past few albums is shit honestly. Lame music and lyrics like "hear the sirens" or "she's a lightning bolt" or "let's just breathe" or "got some if you need it" Come on! The band is so much better than this! And they should be embarrassed by this! I hope they "go with" stepping up their game and challenging themselves and move forward, instead of trying to have hit songs (which were no good by the way) , which it seems like that's what they were trying to do the last few albums. 
    False, falsified, falsefullness, falsefull.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    Backspacer was good.  short songs seem to work best imnsho.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited December 2018
    Pendulum was probably their best song since Riot Act and Getaway was the second best. Beyond that, errrrrrr.....
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    switzerland
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Wma31394 said:
    PB11041 said:

The idea of continuing to follow a band when you think their last two full albums are shit... is shit. You don’t actually think that or you wouldn’t be here. Quit being so dramatic.
  • MAKE

THE

ALBUM

HAVE

MOOD
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Wma31394 said:
    PB11041 said:

The idea of continuing to follow a band when you think their last two full albums are shit... is shit. You don’t actually think that or you wouldn’t be here. Quit being so dramatic.
    They release an album like every 5 years. It's a sidebusiness in the world of PJ. 

Ofc you can be a fan and be on here even if you think their last two albums are pure shit. 
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    edited December 2018
    I would be shocked if an album came out in 2019. I bet they'll do more touring ($$$) and poke along with an album that will be released in the fall of 2020 to coincide with the U.S. election.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Wma31394 said:
    PB11041 said:

They release an album like every 5 years. It's a sidebusiness in the world of PJ. 

Ofc you can be a fan and be on here even if you think their last two albums are pure shit. 
    If you think 20% of their catalog and 33% of their career is shit, you need to invent a time machine and go back to 1998 when you were happy with the band.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
     I would love to hear them make some music more like what they did with Of the Girl, Sleight of Hand, 1/2 Full, You Are and Can't Keep. It's better if they get away from easily accessible and dig in for some tunes that let the guitars loose again.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Wma31394 said:
    PB11041 said:

If you think 20% of their catalog and 33% of their career is shit, you need to invent a time machine and go back to 1998 when you were happy with the band.
    Why? When you can just consider 20% of their albums output being shit and keep being a fan? No time travel needed.