Pearl Jam tour plans!!!

Ok, maybe this has been said before, I don't know, I don't care. But why, for the grace of God, can't they play major U.S. cities once a year. Fuck South America, fuck Asia, this is pissing me off. Why can U2 and DMB be here every year but Pearl Jam be here every 2-3 years. And if I have plans....something I can't change, it means I have to go maybe 4-6 years between shows. Guys,  get your priorities fucking straight, you are an American band, play America first, then tour the fucking world later.

Comments

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    Uh...
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Really not sure what you are trying to say, but (uh) yes that is every 2-3 years,    these guys need to jump on a plane once a year and play NY, Chicago, LA, and Boston among others, and if they need to not play fucking Zimbabwe that year, so be it
  • America First comes to Synergy!!
  • And not saying they NEED to play shows, if they want to be with their families, or if they just don't want to play, that's obviously fine, but if they are playing......why not take care of their home fans first,   they can sell out any of these American cities,   at least one show...at least once a year
  • They just had shows called the home shows. It was literally the name of the shows. 
  • E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    Asia?  The last time they played in an Asian country was 20 years ago.  
  • Whatever, just pointing out they play other areas of the world the years between the US tours
  • Jimmy124 said:
    Whatever, just pointing out they play other areas of the world the years between the US tours
    So, in between tours of the US...they tour the world? You know, if they toured the US for 5 years straight, went to Europe for a week, and came back for 5 more years in the US...it’s still in line with what you’re accusing them of. 
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    Did you have a nap today?
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    uk first
    danny d
  • my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 335
    edited December 2018
    don't worry, looks like the future is seattle, wrigley and fenway...
    Post edited by my_wave on
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Did you have a nap today?
    +100
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    USA!USA!USA! 

• NormanNorman Posts: 109
    America First comes to Synergy!!
    Best post I’ve seen in a while!
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    Jimmy124 said:
    Really not sure what you are trying to say, but (uh) yes that is every 2-3 years,    these guys need to jump on a plane once a year and play NY, Chicago, LA, and Boston among others, and if they need to not play fucking Zimbabwe that year, so be it
    They literally just played Seattle, Chicago and Boston.  They have not played in Asia since 2003, they have never played Zimbabwe, but okay.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• I know, but chances are I won't see them again for at least two years, maybe three. Sorry, was a little drunk when I posted, lol. The thing that set me off was my friend told me she was going to see DMB for the second time this year, and I know she sees them locally EVERY year, and I was thinking, damn, now why can't it be like that with Pearl Jam.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    1) I would love a Pearl Jam tour that resembled a DMB summer tour.

2) Sometimes it's best not to post when drunk.

3) Home Shows: Zimbabwe coming in 2020.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Jimmy124 said:
    I know, but chances are I won't see them again for at least two years, maybe three. Sorry, was a little drunk when I posted, lol. The thing that set me off was my friend told me she was going to see DMB for the second time this year, and I know she sees them locally EVERY year, and I was thinking, damn, now why can't it be like that with Pearl Jam.
    Posting while drunk is never a good thing lol.  I do understand what you are saying though, pj really does leave their fans hanging all over the world. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • CrewCrew Posts: 299
    Pearl Jam every 3 years >> DMB every year. 
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,307
    edited December 2018
    Jimmy124 said:
    I know, but chances are I won't see them again for at least two years, maybe three. Sorry, was a little drunk when I posted, lol. The thing that set me off was my friend told me she was going to see DMB for the second time this year, and I know she sees them locally EVERY year, and I was thinking, damn, now why can't it be like that with Pearl Jam.
    OMG...boo fucking hoo....whining about seeing a band more often when EV in SA trying to get the world to pay attention to people who need food, clean water, education, health care.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Jimmy124 said:
    OMG...boo fucking hoo....whining about seeing a band more often when EV in SA trying to get the world to pay attention to people who need food, clean water, education, health care.
    I salute Vedder's efforts that way.   Very commendable.

But Pearl Jam is a band and the band's first job (and even Neil Young said this a few years back about his own work) is to make music, not save the world.  Their first responsibility is to the fans that made them so huge and those fans, especially at the outset, were here on this continent, particularly in the greater Seattle area.  So yeah, they might consider playing their own country more often. 

Not that my saying so is going to make a damn bit of difference, of course.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    edited December 2018
    Crew said:
    Pearl Jam every 3 years >> DMB every year. 

YES
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    brianlux said:
    Jimmy124 said:

But Pearl Jam is a band and the band's first job (and even Neil Young said this a few years back about his own work) is to make music, not save the world.  Their first responsibility is to the fans that made them so huge and those fans, especially at the outset, were here on this continent, particularly in the greater Seattle area.  So yeah, they might consider playing their own country more often. 

Not that my saying so is going to make a damn bit of difference, of course.  :lol:
    Celebrating Mandela's 100th birthday with a special Global Citizen festival that will never happen again because the man's 100th birthday can only happen once and Eddie Vedder, along with many other artists, are going there to celebrate a great human being. 

How does this have anything to do with Pearl Jam touring more in the United States? He lived in South Africa.

I don't understand why there is condemnation of the band every time another artist tours. They are not the Dave Matthews Band, they are not U2, they are not 1000 other artists that are out there constantly touring. Or 1000 of other artists out there who tour when they can. 

A lot of the time, the people who are the most upset about Pearl Jam's touring schedule are those who go to most of the shows & are up close - you know, the people who go take a piss when they play Black. 

I'd love to see Pearl Jam as much as possible, but I will see them when it is feasible. I couldn't afford this past tour. Hope I can see a show when next they tour. 

In the meantime - go see other bands. There is a world of music out there to rejoice, discover and enjoy. 

Eddie Vedder has always and will always play at benefit concerts. It's who he is. That's part of what makes him so great.

And they are live streaming his performance at 7am tomorrow. 

I don't understand why people who love a band so much as to belong to their fan club have so much they dislike about them. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    Jimmy124 said:

Celebrating Mandela's 100th birthday with a special Global Citizen festival that will never happen again because the man's 100th birthday can only happen once and Eddie Vedder, along with many other artists, are going there to celebrate a great human being. 

How does this have anything to do with Pearl Jam touring more in the United States? He lived in South Africa.

I don't understand why there is condemnation of the band every time another artist tours. They are not the Dave Matthews Band, they are not U2, they are not 1000 other artists that are out there constantly touring. Or 1000 of other artists out there who tour when they can. 

A lot of the time, the people who are the most upset about Pearl Jam's touring schedule are those who go to most of the shows & are up close - you know, the people who go take a piss when they play Black. 

I'd love to see Pearl Jam as much as possible, but I will see them when it is feasible. I couldn't afford this past tour. Hope I can see a show when next they tour. 

In the meantime - go see other bands. There is a world of music out there to rejoice, discover and enjoy. 

Eddie Vedder has always and will always play at benefit concerts. It's who he is. That's part of what makes him so great.

I don't understand why people who love a band so much as to belong to their fan club have so much they dislike about them. 

It sucks because the greatest rock band out and still able to tour squeaks out an average of 16 shows per year. 

Assuming no US dates the next six months, they will have travelled to 3 American cities as a band over a 36 month period.

Age 60 ain't that far off. Soon these decisions will be made for them.

I believe this minimal level of activity is unprecedented for a healthy band. I can't think of another band I've wanted to see over the years and having almost no opportunity to do so. Oh well. Enjoy it DMB fans. Weezer fans too. Another tour with Pixies just announced.

But when PJ decides to play, the same ten thousand fans will get the best seats for their 30th show with great seats. The 5 or 10  quality seats  on stub hub will cost four digits. That's one more than the number of  US cities they've traveled to in 3 years. So why do I want them to tour anyway?

Their new album was "forthcoming"  9 months ago and they've been off the road 3 months and zero news. I thought the goal in life was to be a rock star? Even a part time one?
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    Jimmy124 said:

It sucks because the greatest rock band out and still able to tour squeaks out an average of 16 shows per year. 

Assuming no US dates the next six months, they will have travelled to 3 American cities as a band over a 36 month period.

I believe this minimal level of activity is unprecedented for a healthy band. I can't think of another band I've wanted to see over the years and having almost no opportunity to do so. Oh well. Enjoy it DMB fans. Weezer fans too. Another tour with Pixies just announced.

But when PJ decides to play, the same ten thousand fans will get the best seats for their 30th show with great seats. The 5 or 10  quality seats  on stub hub will cost four digits. That's one more than the number of  US cities they've traveled to in 3 years. So why do I want them to tour anyway?

Their new album was "forthcoming"  9 months ago and they've been off the road 3 months and zero news. I thought the goal in life was to be a rock star? Even a part time one?
    Man I really hope you are not a Tool fan too. I would hate to see what you think of them lol. 
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    Jimmy124 said:

I understand the desire for them to have more consistent tours. And they played 4 cities to be precise (Missoula). 

I wouldn't worry about them turning 60 over the next 4 - 9 years to be a problem. The Stones are in their 70's, Bruce is 69. All bands are getting older along with them. 50 and 60 is not old. 

Eddie seems to be 'touring' pretty consistently around the world and doing benefits, so he's up for touring. Don't know what is up with them as a unit. Mike is always talking about his side projects with other artists. I don't know. I predict that there will be an album and a tour in 2019. They are not working it every night like other bands, for sure, but they do have tours of varying lengths in varying places for every year. I wish I was well off enough to go see them wherever they play, but I can't, so I wait till I can see them.   

Those of us with higher numbers are given a good chance at fairly priced tickets, but the seats are not close by any means. They are far. And I am not interested in GA since I go alone.  I got a third party ticket for Hampton in 2016 (to bridge my travel from NJ to the Raleigh tickets I had won but would never be used). Besides it being a fantastic venue and crowd, the seat was first row side back stage on Mike's side and was much better than my 10C tickets. I even got a pick. :smile:

At least they are still together. There are a lot of bands that I wish had stayed together and I can no longer see them at all. 

I don't think they wanted to be rock stars. Mike did for a bit, but it bit him. I think they want to be a band that has longevity and hopefully remains creative, writing, producing records and touring for a long time to come. This may just be their short tour phase, who knows?

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    edited December 2018
    No reason to get upset. It's a new reality. PJ is essentially the Stones at this point. New album every 5-10 years, tour behind it (although stones play more), tour sporadically in between, and sell merch. This is how it is.
    Years back I thought they were gonna be more like Neil and stay super active constantly but seems they have other interests. Oh well. I've still seen them live in the US every year since 2002 cept for 2, so it's not impossible to see them
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    I just googled major bands tour schedules to get an idea of how often bands tour, how long the bands have been together, if they have gone through periods in their careers where they ebbed and flowed, etc. 

TOO MUCH INFORMATION. 

I'll just go with what's been said here. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    For someone who can travel easily I love the way they tour (other than not very often). 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    This is your semi-regular reminder that "Pearl Jam" is the entity that makes it possible for Ed, Matt, Mike, Stone, and Jeff to live their lives as they please. They are financially secure (or they should be). They have families. It's pretty clear to me that they don't like being away from their families for extended periods, which seems pretty normal to me for men their age. "Pearl Jam" has given them the freedom to do what they want to do, and they are smart enough to go do just that. Good for them.  If you were (or are) financially secure enough to go do all the things you really want to do in life, wouldn't you? I would.

Life is short. These guys have lost enough people who are close to them to be keenly aware of that fact. They've made it pretty clear, for quite a while now, that they are determined to do things their way, on their terms. You can go along for the ride, or you can hop off the bus, but you aren't going to change the way things are going.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
This discussion has been closed.