Love vs. Leukaemia

I don't post in here that often but I'd like to share something with you all that for me at least, underlines why the community of Pearl Jam fans goes way beyond the levels of most bands followers.

I'm in my mid forties, live in the English Midlands and am a father of two, one of each. My little boy, now 11 has Down Syndrome and other associated developmental issues and in November of 2014 he was diagnosed with leukaemia, tough for any child, especially hard on my James. So began a long, hard battle which, in June of 2017 saw James declared tougher than cancer as he no longer required treatment. 

My gig going having been necessarily curtailed during James illness, started again in earnest and I was more than a little excited to head to Amsterdam for the two shows there earlier this year. Along with an Irish mate, we ventured to the 'dam via his current home in Belgium and had two storming nights watching our favourite band.  Second night was made all the better when we met two similarly minded PJ nuts from Texas in the 10C queue. Ruth and Jamie were great company and we ended up heading to a few bars post gig where they even tolerated drunken me staggering all over the place with good grace.

I saw Ruth again briefly in London at the rescheduled second show - where I managed to hand a letter to PJ's tour manager to hopefully let the band know what strength I'd taken from their music during dark times  - and we were obviously connected by the usual social media by then so all good, another friend who lives and loves Pearl Jam and maybe even somewhere to crash if I ever make it to Texas.

A few weeks ago, very sadly, James relapsed as his leukaemia returned. After talking to close family and friends, I relayed the bad news via Facebook and we plunged back down the rabbit hole for a second time. James has been in hospital since late October now with my wife staying with him full time, whilst I shuffle between work, looking after his little sister and the house. 

Returning from work in the darkness last week, I was handed a large box delivered earlier and taken in by a neighbour. "With love from Texas" adorned the outside. Opening it, I was staggered to see dozens and dozens of hand made cards, notes, origami and just the largest outpouring of love I think I've ever seen. Ruth - a teacher - reading about what had happened to James had talked to some of her students and they'd all contributed to offer their support for my lad and brighten up his life just a little. His room in Birmingham Children's Hospital is now the brightest, most colourful in the building. He has more messages of support than I have ever seen, it fills us all with joy.

Maybe I'm just seeing the world through PJ tinted spectacles, maybe I'm just completely biased and over emphasising the PJ angle here, but I don't think so. I like a lot of bands. But I don't think there's any other band where if you spend a few hours in a queue, on a barrier and in a bar with somebody that this stuff follows. Love and support for someone these kids have never met in a county they've never heard of in a country they've never seen. Amazing.

I have no idea if Ruth visits/posts here but regardless; she is fucking amazing, 10C is fucking amazing and being a fan of this band makes tough times more bearable and good times fucking extraordinary. Thank you 10C, thank you Ruth and thank you PJ. Love you all.

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Aww man.  Wow 
    Best wishes to James.
    Good on ya, Ruth.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    Best wishes and positive thoughts for James.

Is there an address where James could receive a few more cards and such?

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    ed243421 said:
    Best wishes and positive thoughts for James.

Is there an address where James could receive a few more cards and such?

Sending out positive energy to James.
    PJ has some of the best fans.

ELITIST FUK
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    All the best to James as he battles through this again, and to you and the rest of your family as you are there for him. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Very awesome. I wish you and your family all the best moving forward with this battle.
  • Thanks all for the kind comments. Very sweet of you to offer to send cards too. By all means, more the merrier

Rattlehead
    11 Pinewoods Avenue
    Hagley
    Worcs
    DY9 0Jf
    UK

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    That is awesome. Wishing nothing but the best for your son and family in the days ahead.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    Thanks!

will do!

Let’s send James some cards/pj swag to let him know we care!

I have a bunch of stickers headed his way

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Blacksheep76Blacksheep76 Houston, TX Posts: 167
    Thoughts and prayers to your son and your family.  Can't wait to read an update where James kicked cancers ass twice.
  • You are a brave family .  Card on its way 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    What a moving post, thanks for sharing, Rattlehead. Godspeed and love to your family, especially James, in the days ahead. May he once again emerge victorious in his battle.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    Very sweet & much love.
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,857
    This is just awesome. What a kick ass community here.
    Sending you nothing but positive vibes and blessings for you and your family. 
  • Much love and best vibes to you and your family. All the best !!
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.