Paris protest: ‘People are in the red. They can’t afford to eat’ Kim Willsher in Paris The Observer

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I saw a bit on this on the news last night.  Seems the biggest issue is fuel costs.  Is that fuel for vehicles or fuel for heating?  I thought most people in Paris used public transit. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    I saw a bit on this on the news last night.  Seems the biggest issue is fuel costs.  Is that fuel for vehicles or fuel for heating?  I thought most people in Paris used public transit. 
    From what I gather taxes, in general, have been rising.  

From the article...To give you an example; my aunt died recently and left €40,000. She worked all her life, she paid her taxes and charges, but the government took 60% of that. Does that seem fair?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

From the article...To give you an example; my aunt died recently and left €40,000. She worked all her life, she paid her taxes and charges, but the government took 60% of that. Does that seem fair?
    60%?  Hell no!  Not fair.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

It also appears to be a lie.  I'd like to see the math on that 60% figure.

"In practice, less than 50% of inhabitants in France pay any income tax at all; only around 14% pay at the rate of 30%, and less than 1% pay at the rate of 45%."

https://www.french-property.com/guides/france/finance-taxation/taxation/calculation-tax-liability/rates
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

"In practice, less than 50% of inhabitants in France pay any income tax at all; only around 14% pay at the rate of 30%, and less than 1% pay at the rate of 45%."

https://www.french-property.com/guides/france/finance-taxation/taxation/calculation-tax-liability/rates
    A lie?  I don't think Meltdown would post a lie.  A mistake, a misunderstand, an inaccuracy (maybe, who am I to say?) but a lie?  Sounds like a harsh accusation CM.  Am I missing something here?

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

A lie?  I don't think Meltdown would post a lie.  A mistake, a misunderstand, an inaccuracy (maybe, who am I to say?) but a lie?  Sounds like a harsh accusation CM.  Am I missing something here?

Relax, Not calling meltdown a liar, they were paraphrasing the article.  The person being interviewed for the article appears to be lying. 

I still wanna see the math.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Relax, Not calling meltdown a liar, they were paraphrasing the article.  The person being interviewed for the article appears to be lying. 

I still wanna see the math.
    Cool.  Thanks for clarifying!

I am just going by the article.  That's all. I do not live in France never been to France.  Just find the protesting interesting.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2018
    I do remember my French ex telling me that, way back in 2004, gas in France averaged around $6.50/gallon, and yes, the goal was to try and drive everyone out of their gas guzzling cars.
    There is certainly a problem in Europe when it comes to the cost of consumer goods and most food in general though. The prices are fucking insane. I never really heard that taxes are so much the issue, compared to just the prices of goods. Also, they fucking have to pay for their water in France. Like, for how much you use. I can't imagine that. I know I'm saying that from a very privileged position though, as someone who lives where water is insanely bountiful.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    PJ_Soul said:
    I do remember my French ex telling me that, way back in 2004, gas in France averaged around $6.50/gallon, and yes, the goal was to try and drive everyone out of their gas guzzling cars.
    There is certainly a problem in Europe when it comes to the cost of consumer goods and most food in general though. The prices are fucking insane. I never really heard that taxes are so much the issue, compared to just the prices of goods. Also, they fucking have to pay for their water in France. Like, for how much you use. I can't imagine that. I know I'm saying that from a very privileged position though, as someone who lives where water is insanely bountiful.
    Woah, you don't have to pay for the water you use in your home? It's common in the states for apartment complexes to include it in the rent, but homeowners pay a water bill. Unless they have a well.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Woah, you don't have to pay for the water you use in your home? It's common in the states for apartment complexes to include it in the rent, but homeowners pay a water bill. Unless they have a well.
    I pay a water bill in my home.  Most apartments include water in the rent. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    We pay for the water over here too.
    :)
    PJ_Soul said:
    Clarify the water.  In BC, do homeowners get free water?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Clarify the water.  In BC, do homeowners get free water?
    No no, not free running water. They pay an average of $500/year for water and sewage services through utility user fees and property taxes. What I meant is that in France they literally pay for it by the litre in the sense that they actually count the number of litres they use (or guesstimate). I.e., their kids play in a wading pool, and the parents need to time how long the hose is on to make sure they don't "go insane" with the water by filling the wading pool too much - the monthly water bill will be too big. This is unimaginable to me. Although it sure as hell does promote responsible water consumption. I'm glad I don't live where you actually have to worry about that (outside of a serious summer drought).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    We have water meters installed that tell you to the tenth of a gallon how much water you use. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited November 2018
    I think water meters are mandatory in brand new houses now? But anything built longer than maybe 5 or 10 years ago, no. Other surrounding cities brought them in earlier or later... many, many homes are still just paying flat rates. Sometimes that's the case for entire municipalities and cities still. The idea of "counting" our water is definitely not familiar to most.
  • We also have water meters that count every drop and we pay accordingly.  I just had a bill today. Years ago people could water plants and clean cars and the such. But not anymore we get put on hosepipe bans .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited December 2018
    We also have water meters that count every drop and we pay accordingly.  I just had a bill today. Years ago people could water plants and clean cars and the such. But not anymore we get put on hosepipe bans .
    Hosepipe bans? You mean watering restrictions? We have those too, just about every summer these days, during droughts. They are by degree. Sometimes we get to water a couple days a week, on prescribed days, depending on the street address. It's not really because we don't have enough water here in metro Vancouver (and that's certainly the case is some places in BC). It's because our reservoir system is inadequate for the growing population and nobody seems to be planning on more reservoirs for some reason.
  • Yeah it's called a hosepipe ban here. If fuckin rains half the year and we still have no spare water. U.k is a wet place.  We have a minimal summer and it goes ape shit 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I am surrounded by the great lakes, we have never been under a water.  Water is fairly cheap where I live.  If you wanna talk about hydro, that's a different story...it seems every government has fucked up hydro in some way, I fully expect the grid to crash...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Yeah it's called a hosepipe ban here. If fuckin rains half the year and we still have no spare water. U.k is a wet place.  We have a minimal summer and it goes ape shit 
    Yeah, inadequate water storage facilities, obviously. It's crazy.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Every house on earth could collect and treat their won rainwater.  One of the strange things we don't do on our planet.
    edited December 2018
    Smellyman said:
    Every house on earth could collect and treat their won rainwater.  One of the strange things we don't do on our planet.
    Yeah.... not if we actually want a treated running water system where we don't have to treat our own, which I'm sure most of us do. I know I do. Also, each person doing it themselves would put every individual at risk during drought.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I don’t think it’s a great idea to individually try to treat our drinking water - too much potential for error leading to water borne illness. However, collecting rainwater for the garden is another story. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited December 2018
    I don’t think it’s a great idea to individually try to treat our drinking water - too much potential for error leading to water borne illness. However, collecting rainwater for the garden is another story. 
    Totally. Also, everyone collecting and treating their own would create a great new way to murder someone, haha. And then once drought comes and families start running out of water, here come the great civil water wars of the 21st Century, lol. Family against family. Sounds lovely. ;)
    rainwater > well water
    edited December 2018
    Smellyman said:
    rainwater > well water
    I wouldn't know; I don't think I've ever drank well water in my whole life.
    I do know that soft water is good and hard water is fucking horrible.
    I am extremely happy with the current water system in my region ... They just need to built more reservoirs and probably another treatment plant to keep up with the growing population.
    Of course nothing is stopping anyone from collecting their own rain water if they want to, and they can just stop paying for water service. Go for it Smellyman, and let us know how it works out!
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:
    rainwater > well water
    I am extremely happy with the current water system in my region ... They just need to built more reservoirs and probably another treatment plant to keep up with the growing population.
    Of course nothing is stopping anyone from collecting their own rain water if they want to, and they can just stop paying for water service. Go for it Smellyman, and let us know how it works out!
    Clean rainwater is great. Depending upon where you live, well water may need salt for softening. We've lived in 2 rural homes and neither needed a water softener. Our current home has water that is right on the cusp of needing softening. Every once and awhile I throw a few bags in the softener, but honestly I don't notice much difference. 

As a kid I lived on a farm and the yard water hydrants always had the freshest coolest water. That hard water straight out of the ground was the best. I get why some wouldn't like it if you're used to softened treated water, but nothing was more refreshing after working in the barn or field all day.

I also have a 250 gallon container for rainwater that we never use up in the summer even though it only covers gutters off half of the house. We water all of our plants, gardens and chickens with it until mid November when the weather shifts to sub zero too much to keep it from freezing. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:
    rainwater > well water
    There's tons of people that do it and it's just fine.  In BC you could have enough water after a couple of days rain.  No need to change/hurt the environment with reservoirs and pipe it for hundreds of miles. 

When I own my own place I will, but right now trying to talk my wife into buying a sailboat and living on board.  Will definitely do it then.  :)  Boats even have water makers converting salt water to drinking water.  This isn't rocket science and easily done by average shmoes. 

Not saying get rid of all municipal water, but there would be no water shortage on earth if peeps got smart with it.

Check out this dude in AZ if you have the time.