US Christian Missionary endanger the lives of inhabitants on isolated Indian island

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
edited November 2018 in A Moving Train
An American Christian missionary is thought to have been killed by tribespeople from one of the world's most isolated communities on a remote island hundreds of miles off the coast of India, according to officials.

The 27-year-old American, identified as John Allen Chau, came to India on a tourist visa but came to the Andaman and Nicobar islands in October with the express purpose of proselytizing, Dependra Pathak, Director General of Police of the Andaman and Nicobar islands, told CNN.
"We refuse to call him a tourist. Yes, he came on a tourist visa but he came with a specific purpose to preach on a prohibited island," Pathak said.

/.../
    Survival International, a nongovernmental group that says it is dedicated to tribal peoples' rights, said Indian authorities should ensure outsiders not make contact with the tribe, because of the risk of disease or threats to their land.

"The Sentinelese have shown again and again that they want to be left alone, and their wishes should be respected," the group said. "The British colonial occupation of the Andaman Islands decimated the tribes living there, wiping out thousands of tribespeople, and only a fraction of the original population now survive. So the Sentinelese fear of outsiders is very understandable."

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/21/asia/andaman-nicobar-us-missionary-killed-intl/index.html?no-st=1542882539

My Comment: Fucking Idiot. On twitter people are calling him a martyr and suggests they should keep sending christian nut-jobs over there.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• This is a perfect story for Thanksgiving here in the states.
    • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
      Stupid boy.
      Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
      So we are ok with killing "outsiders" now? guess they saw it as an "invasion" lol
    • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
      edited November 2018
      my2hands said:
      So we are ok with killing "outsiders" now?
      "we" -- What are your thoughts of the situation?
      "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
      edited November 2018
      my2hands said:
       guess they saw it as an "invasion" lol
      Their island is declared sovereign by India, it is forbidden to go to or be close to the island and us going there could mean the death of their population. So I think you can use invasion without the quation marks.
    • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
      He went there illegally. 
      The people who took him there have been arrested.
      The island is under the protection of India and even the police and military stay away.

edited November 2018
      I want to say, that there are people living isolated from the rest of the world like this is fascinating. 

Is it something completely different from other groups of people living away from our society but still interact in some fashion. 

These are completely sheltered off and for thousands of years have lived by themselves. They are like a completely different spieces - with a langauge we don't understand. 

They don't even use fire. And when "we" left a pig on the island in the 70's they killed and buried it instead of eating it.

It's crazy and interesting.
    • The guy sounded like a decent guy, but for the record... he was anointed as an idiot in the idiot thread.

For so many reasons, he shouldn't have ventured there.
      "My brain's a good brain!"
    • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
      Definitely an idiot but he didn’t deserve to die. 
      I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
      mcgruff10 said:
      This
      Give Peas A Chance…
      edited November 2018
      mcgruff10 said:
      No. But at the same time, 200 people do not deserve to die because of an idiot and his diseases and stupidity.

And he had the chance to leave even, but didn't.

And he obviously knew the risks, so he's a possible and willing mass murderer. So.
    • mcgruff10 said:

I wasn't inferring that if that's what you thought, Scruffy.
    • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
      mcgruff10 said:

My statement wasn't in response to yours.  Where's my basketball advice coach?
      I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    • mcgruff10 said:
      mcgruff10 said:

My statement wasn't in response to yours.  Where's my basketball advice coach?

Play defence like a pitbull.

Shooting is the most important offensive skill.
    • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
      edited November 2018
      I don't know if that makes me seem like a total asshole, but I can't seem to muster even a little bit of sympathy for this guy. What a fucking idiot. And a total arrogant asshole too. His attitude is the same one that wipes out entire civilizations, and ruined many others, throughout history. And quite frankly, I actually do think he deserved to die, all things considered. I think that tribe did the exact right thing in killing him immediately. I feel like they had an unalienable right to do that.
      With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    • PJ_Soul said:
      I don't know if that makes me seem like a total asshole, but I can't seem to muster even a little bit of sympathy for this guy. What a fucking idiot. And a total arrogant asshole too. His attitude is the same one that wipes out entire civilizations, and ruined many others, throughout history. And quite frankly, I actually do think he deserved to die, all things considered. I think that tribe did the exact right thing in killing him immediately. I feel like they had an unalienable right to do that.
      Self defence for sure.

There is no debating his idiocy.
    • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
      my2hands said:
      So we are ok with killing "outsiders" now? guess they saw it as an "invasion" lol
      I thought "stand your ground" was acceptable in the good ol USofA? this primitive tribe does what it perceives it has to do in order to survive. they see an outsider and it is an imminent threat to them. hence, yes, killing him is their only option. I don't blame them. 

he was a fucking moron. I'd say "deserves" to die is a bit harsh, but I definitely do not begrudge the tribe for their actions. 
      Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

my2hands said:
      I thought "stand your ground" was acceptable in the good ol USofA? this primitive tribe does what it perceives it has to do in order to survive. they see an outsider and it is an imminent threat to them. hence, yes, killing him is their only option. I don't blame them. 

he was a fucking moron. I'd say "deserves" to die is a bit harsh, but I definitely do not begrudge the tribe for their actions. 
      Full on deserved it. And I wish all the Native Americans had done the same thing to the Europeans landing in North America back in the day - they could have prevented mass genocide.
      With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
      PJ_Soul said:
      my2hands said:

Full on deserved it. And I wish all the Native Americans had done the same thing to the Europeans landing in North America back in the day - they could have prevented mass genocide.
      #totalasshole  ;)
      Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
      my2hands said:

#totalasshole  ;)
      :lol: #thenimgoodwiththat :tongue:
    • PJ_Soul said:
      my2hands said:

Then we would never have existed.

Existing Native Americans weren't exactly Buddhist monks. They waged war amongst each other and tried to decimate rival nations by 'invading' rival territories.

I'm not saying I am down with the European treatment of them. I'm saying the invasion of North America was inevitable. This earth is only so big. 
      PJ_Soul said:
      my2hands said:

Then we would never have existed.

Existing Native Americans weren't exactly Buddhist monks. They waged war amongst each other and tried to decimate rival nations by 'invading' rival territories.

I'm not saying I am down with the European treatment of them. I'm saying the invasion of North America was inevitable. This earth is only so big. 
      Yes, I realize we never would have existed. So what? No skin off our backs, lol. And I don't care what the Natives had going on either. I don't really get how you think any of what you said is relevant to what I said TBH. I'm sure you got the gist of the statement I was making, yes?

PJ_Soul said:
      No, it doesn't.  I can understand your reaction.  He shouldn't have gone there, he wouldn't have got there if just one of those people who transported him there went to the authorities...all too late for now.  I do not think he deserved to die, but he is a Christian, so is he really dead ... or is he happy playing the harp on a cloud...lol.
      Give Peas A Chance…
      edited November 2018
      PJ_Soul said:
      No, it doesn't.  I can understand your reaction.  He shouldn't have gone there, he wouldn't have got there if just one of those people who transported him there went to the authorities...all too late for now.  I do not think he deserved to die, but he is a Christian, so is he really dead ... or is he happy playing the harp on a cloud...lol.
      More likely getting a lecture from God about the irresponsible, stupid thing he attempted to do, lol. God's all, "dude, why ya wanna fuck with those people and ruin them with Christianity??"
      PJ_Soul said:
      PJ_Soul said:
      More likely getting a lecture from God about the irresponsible, stupid thing he attempted to do, lol. God's all, "dude, why ya wanna fuck with those people and ruin them with Christianity??"
      LOL...
      Give Peas A Chance…
    • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
      PJ_Soul said:
      I'm 100% with you.
      Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    • rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
      Can't even fathom the stupidity and arrogance of this man. I dont even know what to say about his death.
      Can't even fathom the stupidity and arrogance of this man. I dont even know what to say about his death.
      Every Christian funeral they say the dead dudes in a better place, we will go with that.
      Give Peas A Chance…
    • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
      Religious nutters. 
      Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014