Let’s Have Reusable PJ Coffee Mugs :)

IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
Merch That Gives? Reusable coffee mugs. 

Pinching an idea from the BTP. 

How about a PJ reusable coffee mug? There could be different styles and sizes and I imagine there would be many sold. 

Collectors would obviously need two...one to look at, one to use. 

The pinching of an idea is thinking PJ could do what the Boston Tea Party coffee shops have done here in the UK and give money to charity for every reusable cup they sell. That’s after charging only £4.95 per mug, they don’t make a profit on the mugs.

Oh, and on the first of June they banned the use of disposable cups at their stores. You can’t get a paper cup with a plastic lid in their stores. If you don’t want to buy a mug you can loan one. This isn’t a profit making venture, simply understanding we need to do more to take care of the world we live in. It’s also a way of bringing awareness to the issue of landfill and single use, hoping more people open their eyes a little more. Since the ban came in on the first of June they’ve saved 74,000 cups & lids from going to landfill and they only have 22 stores. 

We need to do so much more for the planet that so generously gives to us as we seem to mostly only take from her. 

Pearl Jam could bring out a line in reusable mugs, give proceeds to environmental organisations and reduce waste in the process. Make them available out of the EU store and give those proceeds to organisations here. 

I’d love Given To Live to do this but we’d sell a handful and be left with boxes full. And GTL hasn’t the influence to change habits. The BTP stores took a huge risk (they also don’t stock drinks in plastic bottles or put straws in drinks) but they’re still going and people still take away - but in reusable mugs that don’t go to landfill. 

Here’s a few FAQ etc from the BTP about the impact this has made in such a short time. The big chains could do this, they have the power to change, teach, educate and facilitate change; they just don’t bother. If everyone asks the chains when they’re getting rid of landfill cups every time they went in with their disposable cup they might listen. 

Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.

Comments

• ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Great post - I’d be in for one of these.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    In
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Cool awareness is the key
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,380
    Made my own when I hit 40 shows =)  Would love to buy a new one... great idea. 

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    on2legs said:

Nice
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• I would 🙋🏼‍♀️
  • GabyAlvarezGabyAlvarez Posts: 1
    edited November 2018
    This is a great initiative that could definitely cause a wave! Klean Kanteen supports a lot of events with reusable stainless steel
    pints, drinking bottles and tumblers. Keep Cup is another company that has a great line of reusable coffee cups and they do branding as well! Another brand is Ecoffecup with their bamboo cups ! I would absolutely invest in such merch if available. Venues also need to change their way of selling drinks! I went to see EV at Heartland Festival last year and wanted to bring my reusables (tumbler, coffee cup
    and water bottle) wrote them a mail asking about it and they answered that none of my items were allowed by security and that because of hygiene they couldn’t allow
    refillables. This can (has to) change :) 
    Post edited by GabyAlvarez on
    PJ !!!!!!!!!
  • IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    This is a great initiative that could definitely cause a wave! Klean Kanteen supports a lot of events with reusable stainless steel
    pints, drinking bottles and tumblers. Keep Cup is another company that has a great line of reusable coffee cups and they do branding as well! Another brand is Ecoffecup with their bamboo cups ! I would absolutely invest in such merch if available. Venues also need to change their way of selling drinks! I went to see EV at Heartland Festival last year and wanted to bring my reusables (tumbler, coffee cup
    and water bottle) wrote them a mail asking about it and they answered that none of my items were allowed by security and that because of hygiene they couldn’t allow
    I might be wrong but I think the BTP mugs are bamboo. I’m passing by there in a few so will confirm:) 

Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

on2legs said:

That’s reusable take away mug? Damn cool if it is :)
    Given To Live -

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    on2legs said:

That’s awesome!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:

That’s awesome!!
    Not as awesome as the PJ60 mug you’re closing in on! =)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:

That’s awesome!!
    Two more shows!!! That would be one hell of a mug. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:

That’s awesome!!
    Hit me up when you make it there.  I’d be happy to make you one. 

on2legs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:

That’s awesome!!
    Hit me up when you make it there.  I’d be happy to make you one. 
    Awesome, thank you. 
    IamTom said:
    I might be wrong but I think the BTP mugs are bamboo. I’m passing by there in a few so will confirm:) 

Bamboo it is. 
    Given To Live -

• I’d TOTALLY be in for a reusable PJ mug!!!!! I drink coffee every day and this would be perfect to help the environment along 😊😊😊😊
    Melbourne 95 (x3) Melbourne 98 (x3) Melbourne 03 (x3) Melbourne 06 (x3) Melbourne 09 (x1) EV 11' (x2) BDO Melbourne (x1) EV 14' (x2) IF ANYONE HAS SPARES FOR EV MELBOURNE NIGHT 1.. OR KNOWS OF ANYONE WITH SPARES, IM IN DESPERATE NEED OF SOME.. PLEASE EITHER PM ME ON HERE OR THROUGH FB AND HOPEFULLY WE CAN WORK SOMETHING OUT!!!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Given To Live -

• Such a good idea.
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    I'd like to get one of those enamel camping mugs they were making a couple years ago... although i remember them being way overpriced...
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
    I'd like to get one of those enamel camping mugs they were making a couple years ago... although i remember them being way overpriced...
    That’s one of the reasons I included what BTP is doing. They’ve chosen to make no profit because having no cups heading to landfill is more important to them. If a tiny chain can do this so can the giants but they don’t sadly. 
    Given To Live -

PJ ugly Christmas sweater mug =)

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    on2legs said:
    PJ ugly Christmas sweater mug =)

Whoa!!  :o Want!! 
  •  B) 

PJ - Wembley Arena, 28 Oct 96
    PJ - Wembley Arena, 29 May 00
    PJ - Wembley Arena, 30 May 00
    PJ - Cardiff International Arena, 06 June 00
    PJ - Wembley Arena, 18 Jun 07
    PJ - O2 London, 18 Aug 09
    PJ - O2 Dublin, 22 Jun 10
    EV - Hammersmith Apollo, 30 Jul 12
    EV - Hammersmith Apollo, 31 Jul 12
    PJ - Leeds First Direct Arena, 08 Jul 14
    PJ - Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 Jul 14
    EV - Hammersmith Apollo, 06 Jun 17
    EV - Hammersmith Apollo, 07 Jun 17
    PJ - O2 Arena, London, 18 Jun 18
    PJ - O2 Arena, London, 19 Jun 18
    PJ - O2 Arena, London, 17 Jul 18
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I would love one of these branded by Pearl Jam if possible. These are the best travelers in existence. I can't use anything else now. ;)

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I would love one of these branded by Pearl Jam if possible. These are the best travelers in existence. I can't use anything else now. ;)

The great thing about the way the Boston Tea Party have done this is they use ecocups that they sell for less than $7.50. They make their choice to stand up for our planet affordable and their mugs are great :) 

Put a $20/30 price tag on and it defeats the purpose and dilutes the message. 
    Given To Live -

IamTom said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The great thing about the way the Boston Tea Party have done this is they use ecocups that they sell for less than $7.50. They make their choice to stand up for our planet affordable and their mugs are great :) 

Oh well. I just want a good mug that I like, and if it's branded by PJ that's a nice bonus. Not interested in an inferior mug just because it is branded by PJ... not even for charity. I already do my part. ;) Sucks to be me I guess, haha.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    IamTom said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The Contingo autoseal PJSoul likes is maybe $16. My Contigo Snapseal is less than $13. Neither are $20/30. I don't know how it dilutes the message to have a quality reusable travel mug that actually keeps your hot beverage hot for longer than a half hour.  I would rather pay a few dollars more for something that I would be apt to use.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    I’m going at this from the angle of using this to educate & create change. People who already consider the environmental implications of takeaway cups either have their own mug or don’t takeaway. 

When 1 small chain chooses to ban the use of takeaway cups (and also don’t sell drinks out of plastic bottles but that’s another story) and stops over 70k cups & lids going to landfill in 5 months they had to do something that wouldn’t lose their customers. In the process they’ve, hopefully, educated some people. 

While a great PJ mug might look exactly that, I’m thinking a strong environmental model can be put across in the process. I realise I’m probably a dreamer but I know far too many people who don’t care, I see absurd amounts of stores serve drinks in t/a cups to people who drink in. And I’d infinitely prefer to see pics of PJ reusable mugs fill my insta feed than yet another takeaway cup with a name on that’s heading to landfill. 
    Given To Live -

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    IamTom said:
    I’m going at this from the angle of using this to educate & create change. People who already consider the environmental implications of takeaway cups either have their own mug or don’t takeaway. 

When 1 small chain chooses to ban the use of takeaway cups (and also don’t sell drinks out of plastic bottles but that’s another story) and stops over 70k cups & lids going to landfill in 5 months they had to do something that wouldn’t lose their customers. In the process they’ve, hopefully, educated some people. 

While a great PJ mug might look exactly that, I’m thinking a strong environmental model can be put across in the process. I realise I’m probably a dreamer but I know far too many people who don’t care, I see absurd amounts of stores serve drinks in t/a cups to people who drink in. And I’d infinitely prefer to see pics of PJ reusable mugs fill my insta feed than yet another takeaway cup with a name on that’s heading to landfill. 
    I get what you are saying. I speak for myself when I say I would be more apt to purchase reusable through a place such as the one you mention if it is good enough to hold my tea hot for several hours.  (Sipper, not a chugger here. :wink: )  I fear that the one they have now wouldn't work well for me, but I applaud them for a reusable alternative that is not overpriced.  

Reusable cups.  Reusable bags.  Recycling. Agree completely.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    deadendp said:
    IamTom said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The Contingo autoseal PJSoul likes is maybe $16. My Contigo Snapseal is less than $13. Neither are $20/30. I don't know how it dilutes the message to have a quality reusable travel mug that actually keeps your hot beverage hot for longer than a half hour.  I would rather pay a few dollars more for something that I would be apt to use.  
    Totally. But remember, we're talking about something sold in the 10C store. The markup will be massive. Plus $100 shipping to Canada. :lol:;)