Jon Tester

JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
edited November 2012 in A Moving Train
Still awaiting results from the Montana election... it's a nail biter.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    last i looked he had a somewhat comfortable lead! never under-estimate turd blossom
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    pretty sure Tester won
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Looks like he has a comfortable lead w/ 83% of the votes accounted for.

Especially since everyone was conceding victory w/ 30% of the votes accounted for w/ slim margins last night.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    looks like he's gonna win...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83486.html

I'm expecting a shout out in his acceptance speech ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    imalive wrote:

I'm expecting a shout out in his acceptance speech ;)

Hope so! :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Looks like he won!!
  • YAY!!! :D
  • This is excellent news for hunters who like to kill endangered animals like the polar bear and grey wolf. I wonder what animals he will try to remove from the endangered species act in his next term.

95756A5C-595A-49D9-A317-7DF07D3FEB7D-2365-0000013B8D6A713A.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    WASHINGTON (AP) — Congress is back in town after the election to find a way around automatic tax increases and spending cuts in January. But first, lawmakers are dealing with 41 polar bear carcasses.

In its first roll call since September, the Senate voted 92-5 on Tuesday to debate a bill to ease restrictions on hunters and fishermen and allow 41 U.S. hunters to bring home polar bear carcasses trapped in Canada due to a ban on trophy imports.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., immediately moved to block Republicans from amending the bill, potentially stalling further action on the bill for days.

Republicans had blocked the bill before the election, fearing that passage would boost the re-election prospects of the bill’s Democratic sponsor, Montana Sen. Jon Tester. Tester ultimately won re-election, narrowly defeating Republican Rep. Denny Rehberg.

The idea was that the bill would pass easily postelection. Reid said it was “one of the most popular bills” the Senate had considered in the last session.

“I just can’t imagine why we’re still trying to refight an election that took place a week ago,” he said.

Tester’s bill combines 19 measures favorable to outdoorsmen. In addition to dealing with the polar bear hides, it would allow more hunting and fishing on federal lands, let bow hunters cross federal land where hunting isn’t allowed, encourage federal land agencies to cooperate with state and local authorities to maintain shooting ranges, exclude ammunition and tackle from federal environmental laws that regulate lead, boost fish populations and protect animal habitat. A similar bill passed in the House earlier this year.

The polar bear provision would allow the 41 hunters — two are from Tester’s home state— who killed polar bears in Canada just before a 2008 ban on polar bear trophy imports took effect to bring the bears’ bodies across the border. The hunters involved were not able to bring the trophies home before the Fish and Wildlife Services listed them as a threatened species.

The bill has bipartisan support and is backed by the National Rifle Association and the National Wildlife Federation. The White House said Tuesday that the Obama administration also supports the bill.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
  • MayDay10 wrote:
    The polar bear provision would allow the 41 hunters — two are from Tester’s home state— who killed polar bears in Canada just before a 2008 ban on polar bear trophy imports took effect to bring the bears’ bodies across the border. The hunters involved were not able to bring the trophies home before the Fish and Wildlife Services listed them as a threatened species.

Well, there it is right there... If you are hunting for "trophies" then I have no respect for you. Although I haven't been out in years, I grew up in a hunting family. One of the first things I learned was, if you're not going to eat it, don't shoot it. I will never take a hunter seriously who refers to an animal as a "trophy".
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    It makes me sick too.

Im ashamed I gave this guy $10 to enter some PJ contest.
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    edited November 2012
    MayDay10 wrote:
    It makes me sick too.

i said the same thing in anouther thread. not because it was tester, but because 10 went to a political entitiy. made me feel dirty. i wish i had not done so.

just sent this email to him via his website
    Hi,

First, Illinois is missing from your state drop list on your email the senator page.

Second and more importantly, I made a $10 donation to enter the best seat in the house contest to the Pearl Jam Missoula show. In hindsight, I wish I had not made that donation. It was my first and last political contribution. It made me feel dirty. So I would like to ask for a refund, or if you can't do that, please donate that $10 to the Red Cross.

Thanks in advance,
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    what the cuss happened to the rest of this thread!? ... was it another thread we talked about how this issue would prevent some of us from voting for tester? ...
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    This is excellent news for hunters who like to kill endangered animals like the polar bear and grey wolf. I wonder what animals he will try to remove from the endangered species act in his next term.

95756A5C-595A-49D9-A317-7DF07D3FEB7D-2365-0000013B8D6A713A.jpg

^this^
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Sounds like a Hell of a guy....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x wrote:
    what the cuss happened to the rest of this thread!? ... was it another thread we talked about how this issue would prevent some of us from voting for tester? ...

This thread...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=198752&hilit=jon+tester
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

This thread...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=198752&hilit=jon+tester

thanks man! ... i thought i was in a twilight zone episode! ... :lol::lol:
    Like some (or many) of you here I'm opposed to trophy hunting. I'm not into hunting for food either although if the world we lived in maintained an ecological balance and we lived as hunter/gatherers I would probably view hunting as normal activity. This year I've read a couple of books by Daniel Quinn (philosophical/anthropological fiction) and a couple by Richard Manning (conservationist non-fiction) and all of this reading presents a very good argument for the idea that agriculture is unsustainable and hunting-gathering is. Quinn's books assert that humans lived in a sustainable world for millions of years before the advent of agriculture. In Manning's book Rewilding the West he provides a good argument for the notion of removing cattle from the great American plains, and reintroducing buffalo and elk as well as large predators such as bear. Manning explains that with well regulated hunting, doing this would provide more meat than cattle ever did in this area and would restore an ecological balance there.

This is where the issue gets a bit tricky for me. We don't live in that kind of world but it has been strongly argued by some that we should. I don't know this as a fact, but I'm guessing Tester is very familiar with Mannings work as a conservationist. My guess is based on the fact that Manning is married to Tracy Stone-Manning who is also a conservationist and has done excellent conservation work in Montana works with John Tester. Here is an article related to her work with Tester:

http://www.newwest.net/index.php/city/a ... eam/C8/L8/

My guess is that, from what I've read, Tester has as much interest in establishing wilderness areas as he does in hunting. It looks to me like this is not as clear cut an issue as it might appear on the surface. Like I said, I'm highly opposed to trophy hunting and not a fan of food hunting, but I think we should look at this further before outright judging Tester- or anyone related to his work.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Besides the above, another thing worth bearing in mind is that there is a very big difference between sport hunting and hunting for food. I'm not making an argument for hunting- like I said, it's not my thing. I eat very little meat and even then mostly poultry. I don't even eat fish which is (or was) the healthiest form of meat because the oceans are over-fished and polluted and fish farming is ecologically unsound (no time to explain that here but it's worth looking into). That said, there really is a difference between wealthy urban sports hunters and people who hunt to stock up protein for the winter. Teddy Roosevelt is often hailed as an early environmentalist but keep in mind that he wanted wild spaces preserved so that he and his wealthy cronies had places to sport hunt. I seriously doubt that is what Tester is advocating for. I can't prove that here but from what I've read it would make sense to me and it at least makes sense to look further into this whole issue before passing judgement.

Also keep in mind that there is a big difference between "industrial tourism" in natural place which ruins all but ruins them- Yosemite being a key example- and the creation of wilderness. I highly suspect expansion of wilderness is a key issue for Tester- one I'm all in favor of.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    MayDay10 wrote:
    It makes me sick too.

Didn't you read anything about his platforms before doing that?? I read all about what he stands for before deciding to go to the MT show. And it was absolutely the hunting shit that bugged me. However, he stands for a lot of other stuff that seems pretty respectable - i.e. local farming initiatives, just for instance. Since I don't expect any politician to really be anything other than an asshole, I figured he wasn't so bad I couldn't go to a Pearl Jam concert. :shifty: I think the hunting thing is very much related to the culture someone is brought up in or around. While hunting for any reason other than necessity makes me ill, and wouldn't vote for anyone who supported legislation that supports it, I also understand that this is a view lost on a lot of people because of what they are accustomed to - they need a new perspective... and that is a HARD thing to sell. Tester represents the people of Montana. There are a LOT of people in Montana who don't have a problem with hunting. That said, I was a little surprised that Pearl Jam, and particularly Jeff and Eddie, seem okay with this, given their supposed position on the matter. Then I thought, oh yeah... they are capable of balanced thinking - they know that in the real world sometimes everything can't be perfect, and at times one needs to weigh the good against the bad, and make a decision.

Anyway, sorry, but anyone who gives money to political fundraising without even knowing what that politician stands for shouldn't really complain when they discover they are too against something he supports to have donated money.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I trusted the members of PJ's judgement as we normally align pretty well.

obviously if I donated money, its my fault 100%.... but it sucks to learn this after the fact. Animal issues are important to me. Dont understand the "culture" of big game trophy hunting as much as I dont understand the "culture" of dog fighting.
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    It makes me sick too.

Didn't you read anything about his platforms before doing that?? I read all about what he stands for before deciding to go to the MT show. And it was absolutely the hunting shit that bugged me. However, he stands for a lot of other stuff that seems pretty respectable - i.e. local farming initiatives, just for instance. Since I don't expect any politician to really be anything other than an asshole, I figured he wasn't so bad I couldn't go to a Pearl Jam concert. :shifty:

I think that this is important to remember when it comes to politics. I don't think we're ever going to find a "perfect" candidate for all of what we believe in, but you gotta find someone to support who's positions are closest to yours, especially in the areas that you feel are important. I know nothing about Tester's political positions. This bill bothers me, but I am not a resident of Montana, so I have no say in who they elect, and in the end I might agree with enough of Testers positions to support him.

I reminds me of the tea party's hard-line antics on the Republican side. They'd rather find the "perfect" candidate to represent them (who will get killed in an election), instead of finding an electable one who shares most of their main concerns.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    edited November 2012
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I trusted the members of PJ's judgement as we normally align pretty well.

obviously if I donated money, its my fault 100%.... but it sucks to learn this after the fact. Animal issues are important to me. Dont understand the "culture" of big game trophy hunting as much as I dont understand the "culture" of dog fighting.
    Same here, but I do remember that a lot of people don't think of it that way (unfortunately). But anyway, yeah, I was a little surprised that at Ed didn't take issue with fundraising with this guy because of the hunting thing... I mean, he's actually involved himself with PETA before (also unfortunately - what a stupid joke of an organization). And Jeff is a vegetarian because of animal right as well I think, isn't he? But hey... again, they are clearly able to take the bad with the good, and weighed their decision, which I can respect. And keep in mind, Tester is a PERSONAL friend of Jeff's. That changes things a LOT. They weren't just in it because they are behind him politically. They were doing a favor for a FRIEND who they clearly respect on a personal level.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    Tester's Republican opponent also supported removing the gray wolf from the Endangered Species Act. But Tester and his opponent were very different on many other issues, which I personally feel are much more important than the gray wolf population (which is on the rise in Montana)...

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Denny_ ... Jon_Tester

I think it was extremely important that Tester won re-election, so I am glad that Pearl Jam did a benefit concert for him. It's not easy for a Democrat to win in Montana. For fuck's sake, the man is an organic farmer. He's going to fight for a lot of good things in the Senate and he's not going to let anyone kill bald eagles.
    kenny olav wrote:
    Tester's Republican opponent also supported removing the gray wolf from the Endangered Species Act. But Tester and his opponent were very different on many other issues, which I personally feel are much more important than the gray wolf population (which is on the rise in Montana)...

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Denny_ ... Jon_Tester

I think it was extremely important that Tester won re-election, so I am glad that Pearl Jam did a benefit concert for him. It's not easy for a Democrat to win in Montana. For fuck's sake, the man is an organic farmer. He's going to fight for a lot of good things in the Senate and he's not going to let anyone kill bald eagles.
    Agreed.
    that is cool then.
  • Seems a picture is worth at least a thousand words.....

JB316
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    edited November 2018
    Tester won again 
    A good thing
     Democrat Jon Tester wins re-election in Montana Senate race.
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    edited November 2018
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Tester won again 
    A good thing
     Democrat Jon Tester wins re-election in Montana Senate race.
    cool ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....