Best Singer-Songwriters of Today

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited November 2018
    How the hell do you embed?
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • njnancy said:
    Love Sturgill, love Lamontagne.

For anyone that likes Ouroboros you should check out Damien Rice - My Favorite Faded Fantasy is excellent
    I agree on Damien Rice. 

Others I like - Matt Nathanson, Five for Fighting, Trey Anastasio, Howie Day, Edwin McCain,  Duncan Sheik. 

Trevor Hall, Tryone Wells, Griffin House, Mat Kelley -I like when Spotify gives me a new person that really catches my ear in Discover Weekly.

I saw Jason Isbell On Trevor Noah & in another interview. I like his 'I don't give a shit' attitude and need to listen to more of him. 

Never heard of either Hozier or Ray L. Will check them out.  
    Matt Nathanson is criminally underrated because he has a poppier sound. He is a great lyricist. I’m really enjoying his new album. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    njnancy said:
    rgambs said:
    Hozier over RL.

Get you some Amos Lee in your life!
    https://youtu.be/Azy-Je4Uhck

https://youtu.be/9xt8dVLPLFc

New song, just recently released, about the Parkland Shooting
    That is some good shit. Song 1 and Song 3 are right up my alley. Song 2 is good but I didn't connect immediately, if that makes sense. Something about a guitar or piano and a person is pure acoustic magic.
    Thanks - I'll be adding to a playlist. 

Listened to 2 Ray L. songs - not bad but didn't grab me. Still haven't listened to Hozier.
    Keep it Loose Keep it Tight is one of my favourites by Amos, here's an acoustic version.  His studio recordings are minimalist, but I still prefer just him and a guitar.
    https://youtu.be/ZK6Dg6zeuvc
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I'm glad y'all dig Amos, he's probably my favourite singer/songwriter since early Neil.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Should probably re-title this thread to best current singer-song writers
  • Should probably re-title this thread to best current singer-song writers
    Thank you for the suggestion! After all, we should add women to this mix, right!?!  :)
  • DewieCox said:
    How the hell do you embed?
    If you mean posting the actual video, you copy the link and just paste it directly where you want it. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Lots of great people named already. Damien Rice is easily one of my favorites along with Isbell and Sturgill.

I’d also suggest Josh Ritter and Colter Wall.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Would Brandi Carlisle fit in the singer-songwriter category?  She's amazing!

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    JH6056 said:
    Would Brandi Carlisle fit in the singer-songwriter category?  She's amazing!

Absolutely, and I completely agree.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    njnancy said:
    Love Sturgill, love Lamontagne.

For anyone that likes Ouroboros you should check out Damien Rice - My Favorite Faded Fantasy is excellent
    I agree on Damien Rice. 

Others I like - Matt Nathanson, Five for Fighting, Trey Anastasio, Howie Day, Edwin McCain,  Duncan Sheik. 

Trevor Hall, Tryone Wells, Griffin House, Mat Kelley -I like when Spotify gives me a new person that really catches my ear in Discover Weekly.

I saw Jason Isbell On Trevor Noah & in another interview. I like his 'I don't give a shit' attitude and need to listen to more of him. 

Never heard of either Hozier or Ray L. Will check them out.  
    Matt Nathanson is criminally underrated because he has a poppier sound. He is a great lyricist. I’m really enjoying his new album. 
    I completely agree. Real down to earth and funny as hell at his live shows. 
    I just sampled some of the Hozier stuff. Yuck. I don’t really feel like singer/songwriter is what I’d call him.
  • DewieCox said:
    I just sampled some of the Hozier stuff. Yuck. I don’t really feel like singer/songwriter is what I’d call him.
    What would you call him?
    I guess he is by the literal description, but he just strikes me as closer to Ed Sheeran or somebody like that than the other names being mentioned.
  • John Moreland.  He is incredible.
  • Depends on the genre you dig, but I've always held a few "alt country" artists in high regards: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-D824LHti4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcmdB6nHSbc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQdU2uRQZKg
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    DewieCox said:
    What would you call him?
    Hozier calls himself "Doom Soul", but he's usually smiling when he says it.  He's very blues-based obviously and big on harmonies, which may both make him not the typical "singer-songwriter".

I'm cool with whatever people call him.  His songwriting and his voice are extraordinary.
  • JH6056 said:
    DewieCox said:
    What would you call him?
    Hozier calls himself "Doom Soul", but he's usually smiling when he says it.  He's very blues-based obviously and big on harmonies, which may both make him not the typical "singer-songwriter".

I'm cool with whatever people call him.  His songwriting and his voice are extraordinary.
    Doom Soul, I like that.

Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm for Hozier with us. I have enjoyed learning new things about him! 
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    brobert said:
    John Moreland.  He is incredible.
    +1 :clap:
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    Hiss Golden Messenger
    Kevin Morby
  • DewieCox said:
    I guess he is by the literal description, but he just strikes me as closer to Ed Sheeran or somebody like that than the other names being mentioned.
    I wouldn't argue with that actually.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Neko Case FTW!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Has anyone ever gone to Pandora and only added stations of bands/solo artists you didn't particularly like and hit shuffle? I'm doing that right now. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
    Yeah, turns out that wasn't such a great experiment after all. Why did you guys let me do that?
    Has anyone ever gone to Pandora and only added stations of bands/solo artists you didn't particularly like and hit shuffle? I'm doing that right now. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
    Yeah, turns out that wasn't such a great experiment after all. Why did you guys let me do that?

Most times it's best if one learns for themselves. :wink:
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2018
    Have I already said Joseph Arthur in this thread? If so, it deserves to be said again. Joseph Arthur. One of my all-time faves. There is just so much feeling in everything he does.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Have I already said Joseph Arthur in this thread? If so, it deserves to be said again. Joseph Arthur. One of my all-time faves. There is just so much feeling in everything he does.
    No you haven't. I'll add it to my list - so many artists that I am just discovering. 
  • AT302834AT302834 San Diego Posts: 39

Lots of good artists mentioned here. I’ll echo the Josh Ritter nod. His recent work is very good. Excellent live act. My favorites are The Animal Years (2006), So Runs The World Away (2010), The Beast In Its Tracks (2013). New album to drop sometime next year.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Ed Sheeran.
    Shawn Mendes. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    jjflash said:
    Hiss Golden Messenger
    Kevin Morby
    This person is very smart!!! Love Hiss!!!  New box set just came out.
    Ed Sheeran.
    Shawn Mendes. 
    Boooooo!!!!! 

Nah, they aren't horrible but they write empty pop songs mostly devoid of anything deeper than surface sentimentality.