Best Singer-Songwriters of Today

OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
edited November 2018 in Other Music
I like a few Ray Lamontagne songs, but I really really prefer Hozier. Also, like some Jack Savoretti. 

Feel free to mention other male solo artists. You know, if for some reason you are stark raving mad and don't love Hozier. ;)
Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on

Comments

• Hozier does nothing for me. Ray is fine. I enjoy all of his albums to a certain extent. Right now, I’d say that if you’re talking about male singer songwriters it’s hard to ignore Ryan Adams, Brian Fallon, Jason Isbell, or a young guy named Andrew Combs. 
  • Yes! Male singer songwriters that's what I'm talking about, thank you. I couldn't find the right phrase, need more coffee. Ryan Adams does nothing for me. I do need to listen to the others you listed. Brian Fallon, Jason Isbell, and Glen Hansard are mentioned often around here and I have only listened to a few of their songs...so I'm going to have some new stations to listen to for the next few days!
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Lamontagne is awesome. Great early work and his last couple albums are as good as anything from the last 5 years.

Isbell has been all but untouchable since Here We Rest.

I have mixed feelings on RA. He has such a large volume of material and it ranges from unlistenable to Prisoner in quality.

Has Brian Fallon improves immensely? He sucked in Gaslight Anthem and I’ve neved heard anything that shows he deserves praise in the same breath as Isbell, Adams or Lamontagne.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    LaMontagne all the way. Ouroboros in 2016 is amazing. Jim James helped produce it. It has a DSOTM like track to track segue.
    OP you need to listen to Ryan Adam's self-titled solo LP from 2015 I think? Whatever one has his face on the cover. That one is one of my favorite LPs ever done.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • DewieCox said:

Has Brian Fallon improves immensely? He sucked in Gaslight Anthem and I’ve neved heard anything that shows he deserves praise in the same breath as Isbell, Adams or Lamontagne.

So far, I've been listening to Brian Fallon, I can imagine listening to him when I need my mood lightened. Like with Langhorne Slim. Langhorne Slim brings some energy.

LaMontagne all the way. Ouroboros in 2016 is amazing. Jim James helped produce it. It has a DSOTM like track to track segue.
    OP you need to listen to Ryan Adam's self-titled solo LP from 2015 I think? Whatever one has his face on the cover. That one is one of my favorite LPs ever done.
    Will do! I might've been too hasty about RA. 
    Sturgill is great too, but he’s probably too twangy for most around here.
  • DewieCox said:
    Sturgill is great too, but he’s probably too twangy for most around here.
    Good call. 

I guess I get Hozier all to myself! Sweet.
  • Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    Love Sturgill, love Lamontagne.

For anyone that likes Ouroboros you should check out Damien Rice - My Favorite Faded Fantasy is excellent
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Brian Fallon lightens the mood? Lol
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    All of them have shelve space on my vinyl taxk
  • Hozier ... Great first album. Cover to cover. I like Lamontagne but enjoy his music in a playlist rather than sitting through a whole album. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    DewieCox said:

So far, I've been listening to Brian Fallon, I can imagine listening to him when I need my mood lightened. Like with Langhorne Slim. Langhorne Slim brings some energy.

Will do! I might've been too hasty about RA. 
    That self-titled RA record is moody as hell but excellent IMO. Think I'll play that one now actually...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Ray
  • LaMontagne all the way. Ouroboros in 2016 is amazing. Jim James helped produce it. It has a DSOTM like track to track segue.
    Listened to Ryan Adam's self-titled LP. I liked it more than I thought I would! Thank you for the recommendation. Makes me think I should make a list of bands I've written off and give them another listen. :) 
  • Has anyone ever gone to Pandora and only added stations of bands/solo artists you didn't particularly like and hit shuffle? I'm doing that right now. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Hozier all the way. I have seen Ray 3 times: 1st time was when he 1st burst out, it was a very good show.  2nd time was I guess his 2nd album?  I swear, we actually left early, it was so low energy and the music itself felt fairly boring.  Last time was last tour, and it was better than 2nd but still pretty lifeless to me.

Hozier is a songwriting wonder, his songs are so complex and he does such an amazing job of weaving social commentary and sex (yes, sex!) into his songs.  And live, although his 1st tour he was pretty awkward and new to the stage, he's just kept getting better and better.  And musically he was on point from the very beginning.  Amazing guitarist and good grief that VOICE!  He's got an astounding voice.  And on this new round of touring for the EP and soon to be 2nd album, his live show has improved by leaps and bounds, and the music is still incredibly on point.

I'd put any song off of his new EP "Nina Cried Power" up against anything of Ray Lamontagne's newest release, and really any song up against any of the artists named here so far.  I'm not saying everyone will agree at all that Hozier is better, but definitely check him out.

Here is his new song, which is a tribute to musicians who've advocated for change in very tough political and social justice times.  It features Mavis Staples of the Staple Singers who is 79 yrs old and also was a Civil Rights icon, singing often after Martin Luther King Jr.  And Booker T actually reached out to Hozier (not the other way around, even though Booker T is one of Hozier's idols) to ask if he'd ever want to work together, so his touch will be on like 8 or 9 of the tracks when Hozier's full 2nd album is released.

Here's the video for "Nina Cried Power".  "It's not the waking, it's the rising"... I.e., it's not enough to just be "woke", you've got to do something about what you've woken up to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBKPI5t9xI8
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited November 2018
    Love Sturgill, love Lamontagne.

For anyone that likes Ouroboros you should check out Damien Rice - My Favorite Faded Fantasy is excellent
    I agree on Damien Rice. 

Others I like - Matt Nathanson, Five for Fighting, Trey Anastasio, Howie Day, Edwin McCain,  Duncan Sheik. 

Trevor Hall, Tryone Wells, Griffin House, Mat Kelley -I like when Spotify gives me a new person that really catches my ear in Discover Weekly.

I saw Jason Isbell On Trevor Noah & in another interview. I like his 'I don't give a shit' attitude and need to listen to more of him. 

Never heard of either Hozier or Ray L. Will check them out.  
    Post edited by njnancy on
    Hozier is the "Take Me To Church" guy, did you hear that song maybe 2 yrs ago?

Also njnancy, I owe you some stuff!  I'll explain more in private message...
    JH6056 said:
    Hozier is the "Take Me To Church" guy, did you hear that song maybe 2 yrs ago?

Also njnancy, I owe you some stuff!  I'll explain more in private message...
    Great thing about Spotify is that when I like someone, I can check out what artists other fans like. That's how I stumbled on Dispatch (another thread).

I came across Ray L on there so I'll search Hozier - I'm guessing that song would be in their top 10 songs. Thanks. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Hozier over RL.

Get you some Amos Lee in your life!
    https://youtu.be/Azy-Je4Uhck

https://youtu.be/9xt8dVLPLFc

New song, just recently released, about the Parkland Shooting
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Here's an acoustic Take Me To Church from last monh's Austin City Limits Festival (this was a fundraiser set at another venue)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Ij6tkHbLs&fbclid=IwAR0jwcf87XQo_Wv2IF2luBR8Mz438gBYR0kS4NEB8BecxsQqK9rKz5t8pNU

edited November 2018
    rgambs said:
    Hozier over RL.

Get you some Amos Lee in your life!
    https://youtu.be/Azy-Je4Uhck

https://youtu.be/9xt8dVLPLFc

New song, just recently released, about the Parkland Shooting
    That is some good shit. Song 1 and Song 3 are right up my alley. Song 2 is good but I didn't connect immediately, if that makes sense. Something about a guitar or piano and a person is pure acoustic magic.
    Thanks - I'll be adding to a playlist. 

Listened to 2 Ray L. songs - not bad but didn't grab me. Still haven't listened to Hozier.
    edited November 2018
    JH6056 said:
    Here's an acoustic Take Me To Church from last monh's Austin City Limits Festival (this was a fundraiser set at another venue)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Ij6tkHbLs&fbclid=IwAR0jwcf87XQo_Wv2IF2luBR8Mz438gBYR0kS4NEB8BecxsQqK9rKz5t8pNU

Thanks for finding for me. :smile:

I like the singer's voice, but this particular song wasn't for me. I really like Nina Cried Power. 
  • Damn rgambs, I just finished the first video...that song cuts to the bone! I'm going to have to listen to some Brian Fallon now, before I attempt the other two.  ;)
  • Actually, I have listened to Amos Lee before, just not the songs you posted, and I like what I have heard. I think this was the first video I came across with him in it...
    https://youtu.be/ykwMx90oEWw
  • And now some Hozier...
    https://youtu.be/YcHOxhGNq3g
  • Someone needs to play some Ray for us.
    That last one was really good. 
    edited November 2018
    Post edited by DewieCox on
    edited November 2018