Best Two Album Punch

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Pearl Jam: Ten/Vs
    Give me a tragically hip song for alexa to play. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Pearl Jam: Ten/Vs
    mcgruff10 said:

Nautical Disaster

50 Mission Cap
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    mcgruff10 said:

Three Pistols
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    U2: Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby
    mcgruff10 said:
    Wheat Kings
    Inevitability of Death
    Grace, Too
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I ll check them out tomorrow. Are the hip still around?
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    I ll check them out tomorrow. Are the hip still around?
    Oh man... :disappointed: Gord Downie died of a brain tumour on October 17th, 2017. That is why the country shut down to celebrate the Hip in 2016. It was for the final show The Hip would ever play, because he was dying (he was already very, very sick during that tour - there is a documentary about that, and it is heart wrenching and shows just how strong and amazing Gord was. It's called Long Time Running, which is also the name of one of their songs - listen to that too... Actually, watch the movie). That national viewing/show/celebration was actually on the same night when PJ was playing Wrigley in 2016, and Eddie mentioned it. Lots of broken hearts about all this still. :frowning:
    I am so glad I managed to get a ticket to his final Vancouver show earlier in that last tour (it was my 5th time seeing them I think, since the early 90s). It was amazing and emotional. I almost feel like crying just thinking about it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Wow I had no clue.  That is terrible. 
    mcgruff10 said:

Man... liking you takes a lot of work.
    mcgruff10 said:

Lol. Yeah yeah, I suck. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Lol. Yeah yeah, I suck. 

Finish your pizza and put on Nautical Disaster now with some headphones.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Lol. Yeah yeah, I suck. 

Finish your pizza and put on Nautical Disaster now with some headphones.
    Yes.
    @mcgruff10 ...

So? Hello? Did you listen and have your mind blown? Or are you still sitting there picking lint out of your bellybutton?
    @mcgruff10 ...

So? Hello? Did you listen and have your mind blown? Or are you still sitting there picking lint out of your bellybutton?
    Wow!  I like it a lot.   I like the way the lead singer sings, kind of like a polished Neil young. Very cool song indeed. I m digging the jam at the end. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    @mcgruff10 ...

Wow!  I like it a lot.   I like the way the lead singer sings, kind of like a polished Neil young. Very cool song indeed. I m digging the jam at the end. 

Okay!

Now we're talking. Let's go for a rocker: Three Pistols next for you (50 Mission Cap for good measure).
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    mcgruff10 said:
    @mcgruff10 ...

Okay!

Now we're talking. Let's go for a rocker: Three Pistols next for you (50 Mission Cap for good measure).
    I still say he should start with Little Bones.
    ahead by a century:  I feel like I have heard this song before.  Again, another sweet song.  Is the lead singer irish?  Dude definitely sounds like he has a bit of an accent.
    three pistols....hmmmmm.  I"m not sure if I like how he sings this one.  Is it Michael Stipe that he reminds me of?  Very REM ish. Maybe the guy from "live", ed something.... Background vocals are kind of annoying.  I like the guitars a lot.
    mcgruff10 said:
    ahead by a century:  I feel like I have heard this song before.  Again, another sweet song.  Is the lead singer irish?  Dude definitely sounds like he has a bit of an accent.
    three pistols....hmmmmm.  I"m not sure if I like how he sings this one.  Is it Michael Stipe that he reminds me of?  Very REM ish. Maybe the guy from "live", ed something.... Background vocals are kind of annoying.  I like the guitars a lot.

They got songs for all moods, Scruffy. If you want a 'sweet' song, listen to Long Time Running (off Road Apples). 

For a newbie... I'd suggest the album Fully Completely in it's entirety. Fans can never agree on which song is the best off that album and there at least 5-6 strong contenders. It's awesome.

Then... Road Apples. Exceptional. I already mentioned two songs, but others like The Luxury, Cordelia, Little Bones and Bring It All Back are fantastic. 

If you can... read the lyrics as the song plays. Downie's writing is second to none.

For example... The Luxury lyrics:
    Zoo Lion sobers up and starts to scream and shout
    A little dose of home-fire got him all smoothed out
    Melancholy wine-soaked tenderness
    She hated it here and she couldn't care less
    Prisonyard stares and Fleur-De-lis tattoos
    Cannibal are saving all their bones for soup
    Eating with my fingers and sucking hulls of ships
    My parasite don't deserve no better than this
    The Golden Rim Motor Inn
    Soft water and a color TV
    So consumed with the shape I'm in
    Can't enjoy the luxury
    She says, "Why are you partial to that Playboy con?
    When you can see me naked anytime you want?"
    If I had loads of money to make me tame and sour
    I could pay you to remind me of my baby by the hour
    Zoo Lion
    Every Time You Go lyrics (from debut album 'Up to Here'):

Like anyone I knew a Dave
    Drove a Plymouth shallow grave
    Said, "my girl don't just walk, she unfurls"
    With motorcycle language
    He stumbled through his slang pledge
    Then he dragged the mud for wedding pearls
    He closed both his eyes and sort of gave her a kiss
    Said "don't worry baby about what you're gonna miss
    There will always be a much much more than this
    Every time you go, you are all I see
    Holding out for you and me
    Pulled down his birthday suitcase
    Brown with dust from no place
    Said, "I think its time we made a start"
    They danced the waltz of charity
    No car garage, two kids for free
    They were pissing bliss and playing parts
    She closed both her eyes, sorta gave him a kiss...
    There will…
    She closed both her eyes, sorta gave him a kiss...
    There will always be a much much more than this
    And the big snake pit
    And we dance to the edge of it
    And we laugh and we laugh
    Cause we ain't seen the edge of it
    You and me you and me you and me

Last one to help out.

'Up To Here' was the album that started the journey with this band.

New Orleans is Sinking and Blow At High Dough are probably the two most well known and (overplayed) Hip songs. They are both classics. 38 Years Old tells a great story.
    Thanks Del.  I have a lot of listening to do this weekend.  
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I've just realised I have all of the Tragically Hip albums on a hard drive I nabbed from my brother, but I've never listened to any of them. The last few pages of this thread have convinced to me to dive in. Thanks guys!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    I've just realised I have all of the Tragically Hip albums on a hard drive I nabbed from my brother, but I've never listened to any of them. The last few pages of this thread have convinced to me to dive in. Thanks guys!
    I'm trying to remember my college years and I don't ever remember anyone talking about the Hip and I don't remember them on the radio.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    2Pac - 2Pacalypse Now & Strictly For My N****Z  or Strictly & Me Against the World or Me Against the World & All Eyez On me
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Sting - The Sould Cages and Ten Summoner's Tales
    mcgruff10 said:
    No, Gord Downie was Canadian - no accent, not even the hoser kind, lol.
    Glad you're liking The Hip. I guess you're okay after all. =)
    goldrush said:
    Cheers!

As I said to Scruffy in some private correspondence, I don't like the Hip because they're Canadian... I like them because they are awesome.

There's a bit of a taste required before you get them. I think this is why they weren't big in the US- their sound didn't 'pop' (for lack of a better word). I'm not calling the US unsophisticated. I'm saying the exposure never happened because distributors and radio stations never promoted them enough for people to begin enjoying them.
    Agreed. They are just amazing musically, and that is why Canada embraced them so much. Now, they definitely do come from a uniquely Canadian perspective in ways, and that has to help Canadians connect with them on such a deep level, but that certainly doesn't make them a band that only Canadians can really love (and there are in fact quite a number of American fans, though mostly all close to the Canadian border).
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Beatles: Rubber Soul/ Revolver
    PJ_Soul said:
    Agreed. They are just amazing musically, and that is why Canada embraced them so much. Now, they definitely do come from a uniquely Canadian perspective in ways, and that has to help Canadians connect with them on such a deep level, but that certainly doesn't make them a band that only Canadians can really love (and there are in fact quite a number of American fans, though mostly all close to the Canadian border).

I know one specific Canadian that doesn't have any use for them at all. so I wouldn't say alllllllllllll Canadians love them.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Oasis's first two records.
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited November 2018
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I know one specific Canadian that doesn't have any use for them at all. so I wouldn't say alllllllllllll Canadians love them.
    Certainly not. Some Canadians have no interest. And my parents didn't even know who the fuck they were... but that's the case for almost all good bands with them... or most bands in general, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on