Why does Pearl Jam totally disregard Binaural?

1234568»

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited October 2018
    PB11041 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KN219077 said:
    The songs on the record weren’t the problem, there are some real gems on there, it just lacked that certain fire that the previous albums had and the mastering left the record sounding muddy if it wasn’t played on a high end system, it was a mistake at a time when things were moving digital fast.  Overall the album feels dull, and to be honest, just unispired. It would have been a shame if they called it quits there because Riot Act and Avacado showed fans they still have some great material left to share
    Yikes.
    I feel the exact opposite of you, lol. I think it's their best album. It is certainly a more sullen and dark album, but dull and uninspired and bad sound??! I know we all have our opinions and it's subjective, but I feel like you've just called my baby ugly or said my ass looks fat in this dress. :lol:;)
    While your ass may look fat in your dress, your baby is not ugly and neither is Binaural.    This is a sentiment I cannot wrap my head around.  I think in the great hindsight is you know 20/20 (which as it turns out is okay but not the best) arguments can be made for putting Fatal, Education and Sad on the record.

I think the proper spelling in these instances would be P-H-A-T. :)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    PJ_Soul said:
    KN219077 said:
    The songs on the record weren’t the problem, there are some real gems on there, it just lacked that certain fire that the previous albums had and the mastering left the record sounding muddy if it wasn’t played on a high end system, it was a mistake at a time when things were moving digital fast.  Overall the album feels dull, and to be honest, just unispired. It would have been a shame if they called it quits there because Riot Act and Avacado showed fans they still have some great material left to share
    Yikes.
    I feel the exact opposite of you, lol. I think it's their best album. It is certainly a more sullen and dark album, but dull and uninspired and bad sound??! I know we all have our opinions and it's subjective, but I feel like you've just called my baby ugly or said my ass looks fat in this dress. :lol:;)
    same....great album
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yikes.
    I love this album, too. PJ is at their best when sullen and dark. In fact, I hope their next album is titled "Sullen and Dark".  
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2018
    PB11041 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KN219077 said:
    Yikes.
    While your ass may look fat in your dress, your baby is not ugly and neither is Binaural.    This is a sentiment I cannot wrap my head around.  I think in the great hindsight is you know 20/20 (which as it turns out is okay but not the best) arguments can be made for putting Fatal, Education and Sad on the record.

I know some people think that... I just happen to think that Binaural is perfect just the way it is, and really hate thinking about it changing at all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 779
    Binaural to me is like the worst blowjob I ever had.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    JT167846 said:
    frustrated the office GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
    JT167846 said:
    So still good?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    PJ_Soul said:
    JT167846 said:
    So still good?
    jim halpert laughing GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    PJ_Soul said:
    KN219077 said:
    Yikes.
    I love the songs themselves, light years and grievance are two of my favorite songs, I guess I was speaking more to the sound and feel of the album. I feel like if it were produced like yield it would probably be my favorite.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2018
    JT167846 said:
    Man, you've been one lucky guy then. No scrapers at all.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    its sad they dont play more of binaural..its a masterpiece...
    It is impossible to be a masterpiece when evacuation is on it. 
      its a masterpiece when this song has the best druming of matt
      I don’t care what type of drumming there is it is still a crappy song.  There wasn’t too much crowd energy when they played it in 2000. I d ask your personal opinion on that but only one of us saw them that tour. ;)
    this song has the best drumming of matt,,enough said
    What did you think of Matt s drumming of this song in 03? Wait a second, you didn’t see them that tour either huh? ;)   I ll give you a first hand account: it still wasn’t good live. If it was they’d play it more often. 
        saw them more times than u tho..nanana nanana
    lol.  I'm stuck on 58, what are you two ahead of me?  
    the biggest problem is,,we didnt saw them together ,,that sucks!
    THis is true!! Should I start saving for Australia?
    I already told Jess about Australia. Travel time alone is going to kill this possible trip for us I think. Over 32 hrs to get to Sydney. 
    im going even if its 150 hours travel
    Festivals only would you? If they are straight up shows instead of Big Day Outs I am going to seriously consider this though doubt we can swing it. I have always wanted to go to Australia but feel like that ship has sailed or we will have to wait for our kids to get older to make the trip worth it for all of us. 
    yes,im going to australia even for festivals,i dont mind
    There aren’t too many festivals around in Australia anymore that would suit a PJ show. And you don’t have to worry about the Big Day Out anymore. It no longer exists 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    edited October 2018
    Might fall into songs that are too complicated to play. Several band members have mentioned liking the easier songs to play somewhere, sometime.
    No way....I play guitar.  None of those songs are anymore difficult to play than RVM, GTF, etc.
    Simple could also mean song structure. RVM is a very simple song structure, with very simple timing,  where as Grievance is not. There’s zero chance anyone in the band (aside from maybe Eddie) would struggle with the playing of any song in their catalogue, but structurally a song with odd timing or strange punctuations might just not be as fun to play.
    Trust me... That's not why. Practice it twice and it's done. 
    That wasn’t really my point though. They can play all their material easily, there’s nbootlegger10 said:
    Might fall into songs that are too complicated to play. Several band members have mentioned liking the easier songs to play somewhere, sometime.
    No way....I play guitar.  None of those songs are anymore difficult to play than RVM, GTF, etc.
    Simple could also mean song structure. RVM is a very simple song structure, with very simple timing,  where as Grievance is not. There’s zero chance anyone in the band (aside from maybe Eddie) would struggle with the playing of any song in their catalogue, but structurally a song with odd timing or strange punctuations might just not be as fun to play.
    Trust me... That's not why. Practice it twice and it's done. 

Yeah, these folks are pros.  And the songs I think Stone was referring to as being more difficult to play live are from the earlier albums like Ten and Vs. 
    Did you guys even read what I said? I said not as fun to play; not that they find them hard to play. Anyone who plays an instruments know that some songs are more fun to play than others. 
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    They are probably just not into any of the songs anymore plus they don't tour that much , so when they do some shows they just go for middle of the road songs ...Actions speak louder than words they just don't like touring anymore ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

Great cover, sans beejay.
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321

Binauraljob is my fav... I mean, Binaural is my favorite album.
  • PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    I love Binaural and Riot Act, and while they band could certainly dust off some tunes, there are some complexities of timing and syncopation. Maybe not too difficult to play, but doing some of these songs from memory (without a chart, etc) could be tricky to really nail live and would take more than a couple whacks at soundcheck. It's not individual abilities, but the ability to pull off those timings and rhythms as a band. Moreso with Binaural than Riot Act.  
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
    edited October 2018

They are probably just not into any of the songs anymore plus they don't tour that much , so when they do some shows they just go for middle of the road songs ...Actions speak louder than words they just don't like touring anymore ...
    I can agree with that last part at least. I do think they still love some of their songs, but they don't want to be on tour anyhow so it doesn't much matter that they do. They can still put on a good show of course... but.... the changes we see in them and their decisions lately make it obvious that their hearts aren't in it like they used to be. Not to mention their last two albums.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    PJ_Soul said:

I can agree with that last part at least. I do think they still love some of their songs, but they don't want to be on tour anyhow so it doesn't much matter that they do. They can still put on a good show of course... but.... the changes we see in them and their decisions lately make it obvious that their hearts aren't in it like they used to be. Not to mention their last two albums.

Aging definitely sucks.
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,799
    No code Yeild, Binaural, RiotAct are there best thus far

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    whole album played in toronto 2016. incredible. probably won't happen again.  i was the one who asked for a special show and they didn't let me or anyone who appreciated it down. truly a great evening.
  • foodboy said:
    whole album played in toronto 2016. incredible. probably won't happen again.  i was the one who asked for a special show and they didn't let me or anyone who appreciated it down. truly a great evening.
    You were the one guy out of 15,000 who asked for a special show?
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    foodboy said:
    Made me LOL. Nicely done.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    I was there. I love Binaural. However, I don't think a good chuck of the audience was too impressed by the decision to play this album in its entirety.
  • jordan kjordan k Posts: 196
    I was on the floor up front and everyone seemed to enjoy it down there. But I can see why the more casual fans may not have dug it as much.
    Key Arena - Nov 05 2000, General Motors Place - May 30 2003, General Motors Place - Sep 02 2005, Canada Olympic Park - Aug 08 2009,Key Arena - Sep 22 2009, GM Place - Sep 25 2009, The O2 - Jun 22 2010, Odyssey Arena - Jun 23 2010, Hyde Park - Jun 25 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011, Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011, Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011, Portland OR 11-29-2013, Spokane WA 11-30-2013, Vancouver BC 12-04-2013, Seattle WA 12-06-2013, Toronto ON 05-10-2016, Toronto ON 05-12-2016, Seattle WA 08-08-2018, Seattle 08-10-2018

EV Arlene Schnitzer Hall - July 14 2011, EV Benaroya Hall - July 16 2011

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    jordan k said:
    I was on the floor up front and everyone seemed to enjoy it down there. But I can see why the more casual fans may not have dug it as much.
    Admittedly, I was in reserved seating (had 10c tickets...my number's not so great) so there definitely would have been more casual fans in my section then on the floor.