HELP.....some 98s inside

cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,625
edited October 2018 in Lost Dogs
I picked up these two gems that were framed from someone selling their collection. Much to my disappointment, they are color mounted (according to a professional framer.) Does anyone have any advice on how to reverse this? The Alpine is actually coming undone, by itself, at the bottom from the adhesive failing. These were framed 20 years ago! 
Post edited by cmalisze on

Comments

• MattchewMattchew Posts: 1,345
    Damn, that sucks.  Did the seller not put that detail in the description?  I'm not sure if that can be reversed.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    I have to ask cause I don't know. What does colour mounted mean?
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,625
    BLACK35 said:
    I have to ask cause I don't know. What does colour mounted mean?
    I was told it isn't as hard to remove as a dry mount.  I guess there is a layer of paper between the foam and poster. 
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Thx for clarification 
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    No problem!
    Nobody?
  • ShakesckyShakescky Posts: 342
    I hope you didn't pay too much for these overall because I personally believe dry mounting brings down value, and I hope the Seller brought this up to you when you purchased them.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    If you at any point decide to sell off that Chicago/Troy, I have been after that one for ages. It was one 4 shows I attended on that 98' tour.

www.cluthelee.com
  • andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,789
    still super valuable IMO
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • I think you need to find an archivist to look at these and provide some advice...
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • andrew68 said:
    still super valuable IMO
    It really isn't and anything "fixed" from poster mountain shouldn't be either.

I will say this though.  An altered 52 Mantle  or very poor conditioned one is still worth 5K.  Had I known that as a kid I would have bought every junk one for $100!
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    If the face is good, what difference does it make if there are marks, flaws, or even foam board on the back.  I'm sure it'll frame up just fine.
    CopperTom said:
    If the face is good, what difference does it make if there are marks, flaws, or even foam board on the back.  I'm sure it'll frame up just fine.
    The faces are near perfect. 
    andrew68 said:
    still super valuable IMO

I will say this though.  An altered 52 Mantle  or very poor conditioned one is still worth 5K.  Had I known that as a kid I would have bought every junk one for $100!
    The value is there. Still able to be perfectly framed. What, do you believe, causes the reduction in value?
  • leep75leep75 Posts: 265
    My East Troy/Chicago '98 is dry mounted and has been since I purchased it.  I want to say I paid $150 probably in 2007 from a guy on BRY.  I am so glad I did and I would do it again in a minute.  I never plan to sell it and it's looked great on my wall since!  I say frame them and enjoy!

leep
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    cmalisze said:
    andrew68 said:
    still super valuable IMO

The value is there. Still able to be perfectly framed. What, do you believe, causes the reduction in value?
    Drymounting can't be undone.  It's a backing stuck to the poster.  Ergo it's no longer in mint condition.

I would argue '98's are pretty hard to come buy.  Someone posted one on the facebook group today that went for 976 usd.    Sure drymounting isn't going to fetch top dollars, but how much would you knock off the price.. a few hundred?  Especially if all you want to do is frame it and display it in your home.  
  • Zod said:
    cmalisze said:
    andrew68 said:
    still super valuable IMO

Drymounting can't be undone.  It's a backing stuck to the poster.  Ergo it's no longer in mint condition.

I would argue '98's are pretty hard to come buy.  Someone posted one on the facebook group today that went for 976 usd.    Sure drymounting isn't going to fetch top dollars, but how much would you knock off the price.. a few hundred?  Especially if all you want to do is frame it and display it in your home.  
    I don't put much value into something altered.  There are people that will buy it but I'm not one of them.

If you like it, buy it .  Just don't pay too much for it.
    To each their own.  Thanks all
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Zod said:
    cmalisze said:
    andrew68 said:
    still super valuable IMO

I don't put much value into something altered.  There are people that will buy it but I'm not one of them.

If you like it, buy it .  Just don't pay too much for it.
    Yah it's definitely tough.  If it's something only mildly difficult to find, then yah, you probably want to find a mint copy.   With something as rare as the '98s.  The choice is often buy the compromised copy, don't ever own one, or wait years to find one on ebay and pay $1000+ plus for it :(

None of which are great choices if you're trying to track down posters from '98.  

Back to the Original Post.  I hope the buyer is ok.  If I paid money and then found out they were in a different condition than what I negotiated I wouldn't be happy.   I also don't exactly know what colourmounting is.   Hopefully they can be salvaged and framed.
    These can be framed beautifully. No worries there! 
  • andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,789
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • K-jamK-jam Posts: 3
    Hello @cmalisze I'm interested in your 98 WPB . How much do you want for it ?

K-jam