ISO Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon

Comments

• I bet that 18yo Jameson is delicious.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    RS151862 said:
    bbiggs said:
    RS151862 said:
    If you’re in PA the BTAC lottery is open.. good luck. 

• Eagle Rare Bourbon 17 Year Old: 15 bottles (12 for individual consumers,
    3 for licensees)
                  • 
    Sazerac Rye 18 Year Old: 39 bottles (30 for individual consumers, 9 for licensees)
                  • William L. Weller Bourbon: 294 bottles (221 for individual consumers, 73 for licensees)
                  • Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye: 414 bottles (311 for individual consumers,
    103 for  licensees)

• George T. Stagg Bourbon: 894 bottles (671 for individual consumers, 223 for licensees)
    This is the allotment for the entire state of PA? 
    Unfortunately 
    Man.  It’s gonna be rough. Especially that ER 17.
    bbiggs said:
    I want to try the eagle rare 17.  I heard it is amazing!
    Same here. Never been lucky enough to try it. I was reading reviews by the “experts” and they said the 2018 batch was not as good as previous years. Probably a moot point for most of us, given the extremely low production of it. 
    It must be nice to be around all that rare bourbon to know what is not up to snuff huh?
    Isn’t that the truth, buddy?! 
  • tommy boytommy boy United States Posts: 686
    Why am I in this thread??..lol...
    1996: TORONTO, TOLEDO, BUFFALO
    1998: BARRIE, PITTSBURGH, CLEVELAND*, MERRIWEATHER POST
    2000: TORONTO, PITTSBURGH, DETROIT, SARATOGA SPRINGS
    2003: TORONTO, BUFFALO*, CLEVELAND, MSG 1
    2004: TOLEDO, GRAND RAPIDS
    2006: PITTSBURGH
    2008: HARTFORD
    2009: PHILLY II
    2010: BUFFALO
    2013: BUFFALO
    2014: DETROIT
    2016: NYC I NYC II
  • BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989
    edited October 2018

@Bentleyspop  Let me know if you have any desire to part with the EH Taylor box (assuming it is the wooden one)...been looking for one of those.  Aside from that, nice drinkers (especially the Blanton's); the Saz makes a killer Old Fashioned.
    Post edited by BRAIN0FJAY on
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
    Just stopped at the local grocery store to pick up a few things. Walked through the liquor aisle to see if anything good was on the shelf. Talked to the liquor guy and he said he hasn’t been able to get Eagle Rare for over 3 months. This store used to have it consistently in stock. That is crazy. 
  • bbiggs said:
    Just stopped at the local grocery store to pick up a few things. Walked through the liquor aisle to see if anything good was on the shelf. Talked to the liquor guy and he said he hasn’t been able to get Eagle Rare for over 3 months. This store used to have it consistently in stock. That is crazy. 
    They are doing this shit on purpose, have to be!
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Happening here in Fayetteville, Arkansas as well. Used to easily be able to go grab 2-3 bottles of Eagle Rare right off the shelf. Now you have to ask for it and be lucky to get even one. 
    edited October 2018
    Post edited by BRAIN0FJAY on
    Eagle Rare has popped up all over the place in WV recently.  Of course, it is disappearing rapidly from the shelves.  I stocked up and try to keep a few bottles in my "backstock".  Dollar for dollar it is hard to beat.
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    Never tried the Eagle Rare, what does it go for in the US? Theres a few bottles across the street for $61 Canadian, worth buying?
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
    Horse2345 said:
    Never tried the Eagle Rare, what does it go for in the US? Theres a few bottles across the street for $61 Canadian, worth buying?

I just paid $35 and change after tax last week.  I’ve seen it from $29-45 lately.  The $61 CAD appears to be on the high end if I figured it correctly; if i were out of it I’d probably pay the high price as it is a delicious daily drinker.
    Horse2345 said:

I just paid $35 and change after tax last week.  I’ve seen it from $29-45 lately.  The $61 CAD appears to be on the high end if I figured it correctly; if i were out of it I’d probably pay the high price as it is a delicious daily drinker.
    Good to know, thanks. Ill pick up a bottle and give it a try.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    There's a liquor store in Dallas that used to have it for $26 a bottle. I would grab like 5 bottles and bring them back home. Now it's more like $35+ as mentioned above .
    Have you folks had High West - A Midwinter Night’s Dram? If so, thoughts?  Worth the $100 price tag? 
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    Horse2345 said:
    We get it for $57 in Ontario.
    And yes it’s worth buying. 
    Also if you get a chance grab a bottle of the Blanton, a little bit more money, but a nice drink. 
    bbiggs said:
    Have you folks had High West - A Midwinter Night’s Dram? If so, thoughts?  Worth the $100 price tag? 
    It’s good...pretty complex nose/palette/finish trifecta...and that is right at retail.  I’d be a buyer (we don’t get it in WV; I found it while traveling last year and bought two bottles).  
    DavidD said:
    Horse2345 said:
    We get it for $57 in Ontario.
    And yes it’s worth buying. 
    Also if you get a chance grab a bottle of the Blanton, a little bit more money, but a nice drink. 
    Cool. Yeah I bought a bottle of the Blantons s few years ago but BC liquor stores haven't had any in stock since. Haven't seen any in private stores either.
    Lol just as I finished typing that I looked again and they just got 6 in stock, raised the price to $106 though
    bbiggs said:
    It’s good...pretty complex nose/palette/finish trifecta...and that is right at retail.  I’d be a buyer (we don’t get it in WV; I found it while traveling last year and bought two bottles).  
    Thanks! 
    Horse2345 said:
    Lol just as I finished typing that I looked again and they just got 6 in stock, raised the price to $106 though
    Wow, $106 is a bit of a mark up. We get it for $70 in Ontario LCBO

How’s the old forest bday burobon?
    i put my name in for a chance of buying a bottle. Just not sure it’s worth the $150 Canadian. 
    Cleaned out and restocked the upstairs cabinet this afternoon.  

• mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    DavidD said:
    i put my name in for a chance of buying a bottle. Just not sure it’s worth the $150 Canadian. 

Out of interest, what province are you in that has a lotto for the OF Birthday? Im in BC and have yet to see it here. Thanks!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
    edited October 2018
    mwplum said:
    DavidD said:

Out of interest, what province are you in that has a lotto for the OF Birthday? Im in BC and have yet to see it here. Thanks!
    I am in Toronto. 
    Have you tried it? And is it worth the $150 CAN. 
    Post edited by DavidD on
    DavidD said:

I thoroughly enjoy the Birthday Bourbon.  I haven't had the 2018...yet.  2016 and 2017 are exceptional; unfortunately, I recently floated my 2012 and 2015 Birthday Bourbons...  Retail is $100 USD, so the $150 CAD is not all that bad.  I would buy it all day at that price.  Plus, the bottle is pretty fuckin' cool.

This is an excellent bourbon.  I had written it off as gimmicky, but they reached back and slapped me across the face with a senses-pleasing gem.
    ^ Very nice. I’m not familiar. Why do you say gimmicky? By the way, I was surprised to see Smooth Ambler on the shelves of my local today. Contradiction and one other (I don’t recall). 
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Very nice. I’m not familiar. Why do you say gimmicky? By the way, I was surprised to see Smooth Ambler on the shelves of my local today. Contradiction and one other (I don’t recall). 
    Message sent...  Regarding the gimmickiness...they have a “slogan” that states “made by ghosts”.  It just feels like an attempt to capitalize on the bourbon craze.  It’s not.  It’s damn good juice.
    DavidD said:

I thoroughly enjoy the Birthday Bourbon.  I haven't had the 2018...yet.  2016 and 2017 are exceptional; unfortunately, I recently floated my 2012 and 2015 Birthday Bourbons...  Retail is $100 USD, so the $150 CAD is not all that bad.  I would buy it all day at that price.  Plus, the bottle is pretty fuckin' cool.

Yes, I like the bottle. Probably going to like the juice inside as well lol
    if i win the chance I’ll have to pick it up. 
    Thanks for the info. 
    First time I have ever seen this in WV; found this evening...  Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.