Vaping (as in e-cigs)

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
edited September 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
I've seen plenty of talk about vaping weed, but i don't think there is a thread about vaping with nicotine.
I'm a lightish smoker (for many years now I've smoked about 2 packs a week, maybe 3 if I partied). So I've decided to try the JUUL vape pen and get off the tobacco. It's marketed as being revolutionary in the vaping world, and I would tend to agree. It is tiny and discrete and so easy, no buttons, nothing. You stick in a pod and just smoke it. Looks like a sleek memory stick. And the throat hit is significant.

Besides no longer inhaling smoke, this thing is a big deal to me because it doesn't stink. Even as a smoker, I hate smokey rooms (I would never smoke indoors anymore), and cigs do really stink. Oh, and this is also a big deal to me because it costs about a third of the price at most! Finally, i didn't vape before because those vape devices seemed ridiculous to me. Too big and a pain. Now that's solved. So hurray.

Any other smokers out there thinking about the JUUL? Or have switched? I know the device is a little controversial because of its sleek appeal to young people.. but i thought that's what the legal age limit is for.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Post edited by PJ_Soul on

Comments

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I used a vape for about 6 months I think. It helped by allowing me to reduce the nicotine levels gradually until I was at zero. I'd recommend it to anyone that is trying to quit smoking. Just don't use it as a permanent replacement. They don't have decades of studies on it yet and it could be just as bad for you in different ways.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2018
    I used a vape for about 6 months I think. It helped by allowing me to reduce the nicotine levels gradually until I was at zero. I'd recommend it to anyone that is trying to quit smoking. Just don't use it as a permanent replacement. They don't have decades of studies on it yet and it could be just as bad for you in different ways.
    Perhaps... although I do wonder how that would be. Aside from nicotine, the only relevant ingredient in it is usually propylene glycol. That compound is used widely in food processing and is accepted as safe when used that way, and actually has been subject to many studies for decades... just not in vaping products. You're right though, specifically vaping it hasn't had many years of study... although they do seem to have at least comfortably ruled it out as a carcinogen, so that's a good thing. In other words, if the alternative is smoking permanently (which is the case for the majority of smokers), this is certainly a much better option.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    It’s hard to imagine vaping would be worse for you than smoking cigarettes. It might have its own detrimental health effects, but they are unlikely to be as bad. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    JUUL has been a game changer.  I’ve tried e cigs in the past but they never stuck because they never were as satisfying.  No more smell. No more washing hands.  No more coughing up flem in the morning.  No more trashy butts.  I’ve been pushing my friends that smoke to make the switch. 

They FDA and parents groups are trying to make it like Satan invented the JUUL because teens are using them in droves.  But when comparing to a Marlboro it is so much better for you I can’t even see a debate to be made.  Sure I guess sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber and drinking purified spring water while being fed intravenous proteins is probably the healthiest way to go but if this stops someone from smoking it is doing the lords work. 
    JUUL is an issue for teens because some are getting into smoking that way. They believe it’s safe, compared to what they’ve had drilled into them about smoking, but then they just get hooked on nicotine and things go awry.

JUUL is only a positive thing if it’s helping people to get off cigarettes, not if it’s introducing people to smoking. 
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    My doctor recommended e-cigs to me to try to stop smoking (daily smoker since my teens). This was in September of 2016.  I bought both cigarettes and e-cigs for about 8 months, I switched from the e-cigs (Logic) to Logic Pro (vaping) at the 8 month mark. After a month more I just didn't buy the back up cigarettes. That was July 2017. 

My son, who started smoking cigarettes in high school when he was not living with me, is now using only Juul - I got him to get rid of the vape oils and pipes - my goal is to get him off of everything and I, personally, did not want him enjoying all these fancy vape products - it made it less likely he'd ever stop. He's 21 now and he's almost a year without cigarettes. He introduced me to the Juul. 

I have been cigarette free for 1 year and 3 months and do not want a cigarette. I too do not miss the smell and I also was constantly burning clothes, comforters, furniture, etc. Don't miss that at all. I had almost given up on trying to quit, I'd tried everything. 

I saw my doctor for my annual physical right after my 1 year cigarette free mark and talked to him about working on getting off the vaping due to the nicotine and he said that I shouldn't go off them & not to worry about the nicotine. I have read a bunch of medical information and there is no doubt that vaping is better than smoking and the estimated difference in the danger is approximately 90%. 

The carcinogens are released when the cigarette is set on fire. Along with the tar. As @PJ_Soul said - there are just those two ingredients and, in my case, menthol. I have my son using basic tobacco most of the time. 

The desire for nicotine has decreased significantly and I go for long periods without thinking about vaping. When I do use it, I tend to use it for a bit. I agree that the Juul does have the 'hit' feeling. I use it primarily but sometimes switch to the Logic Pro (pods are cheaper).

I can breathe much better  & I do not use my rescue inhaler (I have asthma) except for in the morning & night as prescribed. I forget sometimes. I used to use it frequently during the day (and then light up a cigarette). 

My next step is to get a lung scan, which is scheduled. I've stopped smoking cigarettes but I'll always have to monitor my lungs for cancer after smoking for so long. 

I would recommend vaping as a way to get off of cigarettes to any smoker. 
    njnancy said:
    My doctor recommended e-cigs to me to try to stop smoking (daily smoker since my teens). This was in September of 2016.  I bought both cigarettes and e-cigs for about 8 months, I switched from the e-cigs (Logic) to Logic Pro (vaping) at the 8 month mark. After a month more I just didn't buy the back up cigarettes. That was July 2017. 

My son, who started smoking cigarettes in high school when he was not living with me, is now using only Juul - I got him to get rid of the vape oils and pipes - my goal is to get him off of everything and I, personally, did not want him enjoying all these fancy vape products - it made it less likely he'd ever stop. He's 21 now and he's almost a year without cigarettes. He introduced me to the Juul. 

I have been cigarette free for 1 year and 3 months and do not want a cigarette. I too do not miss the smell and I also was constantly burning clothes, comforters, furniture, etc. Don't miss that at all. I had almost given up on trying to quit, I'd tried everything. 

I saw my doctor for my annual physical right after my 1 year cigarette free mark and talked to him about working on getting off the vaping due to the nicotine and he said that I shouldn't go off them & not to worry about the nicotine. I have read a bunch of medical information and there is no doubt that vaping is better than smoking and the estimated difference in the danger is approximately 90%. 

The carcinogens are released when the cigarette is set on fire. Along with the tar. As @PJ_Soul said - there are just those two ingredients and, in my case, menthol. I have my son using basic tobacco most of the time. 

The desire for nicotine has decreased significantly and I go for long periods without thinking about vaping. When I do use it, I tend to use it for a bit. I agree that the Juul does have the 'hit' feeling. I use it primarily but sometimes switch to the Logic Pro (pods are cheaper).

I can breathe much better  & I do not use my rescue inhaler (I have asthma) except for in the morning & night as prescribed. I forget sometimes. I used to use it frequently during the day (and then light up a cigarette). 

My next step is to get a lung scan, which is scheduled. I've stopped smoking cigarettes but I'll always have to monitor my lungs for cancer after smoking for so long. 

Congratulations to you. You’ve done one of the most important and difficult things to improve  your health that you could have done. 
    njnancy said:

Congratulations to you. You’ve done one of the most important and difficult things to improve  your health that you could have done. 
    Thank you very much. =)  I'm also a recovering alcoholic - 22 years in November (knock on wood). Maybe I'll be okay. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2018
    Yeah, congrats Nancy! I suggested to my mom that she try it to quit smoking.... I don't think she's going for it. She seems to think she can quit without such help... but she's been smoking for 55 years, and hasn't quit yet, so I don't know why she's pretending she's going to now without any aids. :i_dunno: She's a total Luddite, so I think even the idea of a simple e-cig makes her uncomfortable, lol.
    So I'm at the airport right now on my way to Seattle for work, and I brought some JUUL pods with me. Since they contain that tiny amount of liquid, I put them out in the bin through security, and when the customs guy asked me if I had any liquids on me, I told him just the JUUL pods. He had no clue what I was talking about, so I had to pull them out and explain... He still didn't seem to know wtf I was talking about, lol - I was worried for a second that he was going to confiscate them, but when I said, jokingly, that's "it's the new thing!", he just laughed and waved me on. :tongue:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

Thank you very much. =)  I'm also a recovering alcoholic - 22 years in November (knock on wood). Maybe I'll be okay. 
    Okay, two of the  most important and difficult things ;)
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, congrats Nancy! I suggested to my mom that she try it to quit smoking.... I don't think she's going for it. She seems to think she can quit without such help... but she's been smoking for 55 years, and hasn't quit yet, so I don't know why she's pretending she's going to now without any aids. :i_dunno: She's a total Luddite, so I think even the idea of a simple e-cig makes her uncomfortable, lol.
    So I'm at the airport right now on my way to Seattle for work, and I brought some JUUL pods with me. Since they contain that tiny amount of liquid, I put them out in the bin through security, and when the customs guy asked me if I had any liquids on me, I told him just the JUUL pods. He had no clue what I was talking about, so I had to pull them out and explain... He still didn't seem to know wtf I was talking about, lol - I was worried for a second that he was going to confiscate them, but when I said, jokingly, that's "it's the new thing!", he just laughed and waved me on. :tongue:
    Thanks Ali! I'm pretty amazed myself. Smoking is a powerful addiction and it has a strong hold on people. Your mom will do it when she's ready and only we can know when we are ready. I hope she is able to do so soon!  

I don't fly often, at all. I would never even think about Juul pods as liquid, that was very conscientious of you - lol. oftenreading said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

Okay, two of the  most important and difficult things ;)
    Thanks. I'm lucky - I've lost a lot of my family to addiction and I'm not sure why I was able to be at this point. Makes me feel like I should be doing something important in my life. But that's a whole other thread. Thank you very much for your kind words. 
  • Never saw this coming... Or did I?

Never thought this stuff was any better.  Very surprised that they are putting the hammer down after so few years though.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/11/trump-to-consider-e-cigarette-policy-amid-outbreak-of-lung-disease.html
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Never saw this coming... Or did I?

Never thought this stuff was any better.  Very surprised that they are putting the hammer down after so few years though.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/11/trump-to-consider-e-cigarette-policy-amid-outbreak-of-lung-disease.html
    the hammer is coming down because kids are using and being targeted for this. i hope these companies get nailed to the wall for it
  • I understand wholeheartedly that they should go after Juul or any other companies that are targeting teenagers or anyone who did not smoke prior to their products being released.  100%.

I can only tell you my story.  I had been a smoker for 40 years, had a nasty smoker’s cough, hated the smell, was sick of the ash and the mess, burning holes in clothes. Blah, blah, blah.  Couldn’t imagine giving up the habit though.

I had been speaking with a few coworkers who were using Juul, inquiring about the cost, the satisfaction, etc.  I was certainly curious and looking for an alternative.

I was waiting in line at the store (Wawa to my Philly folks) to buy a carton of cigarettes and by the time I got to the register, I asked for the Juul.  That was January 4, 2019.  That evening, I did finish the pack of cigarettes I had then I switched to the Juul.  Haven’t had a cigarette since that day.

I was a FORTY YEAR smoker.  I haven’t had a cigarette in over 8 months.  Current or former smokers can relate to that accomplishment.  

I lost my smoker’s cough, I sleep better, my sense of smell has come back.

Are e-cigarettes better for you in the long run?  As I said, I’ve been a smoker for 40 years.  I will probably be long gone before the study data comes out determine the long term affects of “vaping.” 

The short- term affects have convinced me.  I hope one day not to rely on any nicotine product but to end this post, I am pro-Juul if used correctly.