Pointless covers

So, I stumbled over Stone Sours's covers of Creeping Death (Metallica), Love Gun (KISS) and We Die Young (AiC) and they are impressively faithful to the originals... but sounds like good but lifeless karaoke sessions. They add nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClRPSYpBNOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HFaUoulmx4

The same with Weezers Africa cover -- what is the point of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk5Dwg5zm2U

Any other good examples of - not bad but - pointless covers?
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Do covers only have a point if they change the original song?
    Guess I am unsure of your definition of a cover with a point.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Do covers only have a point if they change the original song?

I think they have to add something.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

Meh.  I don't necessarily agree.  Some covers I hear, where they totally change the song, make me want to smash the crap out of the radio.
    Was just curious, don't want to derail your thread.

I like this cover, it does not change the original so perhaps it fits your description.
    (Or, perhaps shooting it in space brought something;) )

Meh.  I don't necessarily agree.  Some covers I hear, where they totally change the song, make me want to smash the crap out of the radio.

I like this cover, it does not change the original so perhaps it fits your description.
    (Or, perhaps shooting it in space brought something;) )

I'm not saying you have to revamp the song completely or turn a blues song into a jazz song.
  • ultrapigultrapig South Dakota Posts: 142
    Any cover by Five Finger Death Punch. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    There s been a few songs that pj has covered over the years that are pointless. Arms aloft anyone?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

You mean like this stirring rendition of PJ's Jeremy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWTEQMxZIyY

"My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2018

I agree that a cover needs to improve upon the original or at least make it something different in some way for there to be a point to it. That doesn't mean the song is greatly changed. It just has to be somehow better or different. Sometimes that means that almost nothing changed - the cover artist might just be more talented, I.e. better voice, more emotion, better guitar playing, whatever. Or, of course, they make bigger changes that are awesome. A cover that doesn't add something is really just karaoke.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • I don’t know if they have to ADD something for the better of the song. But I think there needs to be something of original flavor put in the song. Give me a reason to listen to your version of the song in place of the original. 
    edited September 2018
    I don’t know if they have to ADD something for the better of the song. But I think there needs to be something of original flavor put in the song. Give me a reason to listen to your version of the song in place of the original. 
    That's what I mean. Whatever that is that creates an original flavour (or something more tangible) is "adding" something.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Sometimes I just like to hear artists that I like cover other artists or songs that I like. They don't have to change it. The "something" is that it is performed by a particular artist I like. Let's look at some of PJ covers that I like just fine:

Driven to Tears - What's special? PJ is playing it. Is it "better" than the original: Not for me. But I still like it and don't think it's a "pointless cover".
    Comfortably Numb: What's special? PJ is playing it. Is it "better" than the original: Not for me. But I still like it and don't think it's a "pointless cover".
    Crown of Thorns: What's special? PJ is playing it. Is it "better" than the original: Not for me. But I still like it and don't think it's a "pointless cover".
    Won't Back Down: What's special? PJ is playing it. Is it "better" than the original: Not for me. But I still like it and don't think it's a "pointless cover".

I guess I don't need the cover to be "better" or to have a significant change for me to enjoy a cover. Pointless is subjective I suppose.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    edited September 2018
    I don't need a change (I don't mind one either), but it does have to be better or something new for me to appreciate it. That often involves a change. Otherwise it just seems like a waste of time. I mean, if there is no change and no improvement to the original, why not just listen to the original? With PJ covers, well, I don't like all of them. But for a lot of them, they aren't necessarily improved (though sometimes they are), but they are all definitely different in some way, and that includes the huge difference Eddie's unique voice inevitably makes.... I think that is what "PJ is playing it" mostly means, no? I mean, Mike can throw in some good solo or something, but really the reason it's not pointless is because Eddie is singing it and that actually matters in his case. That is not the case for all singers. 

... I do think PJ vastly improves Crown of Thorns though. ;)
    ... I also think they never should have covered Driven to Tears or Won't Back Down in the first place. I consider those two covers failures..... Although still changed, that's for sure!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Driven to tears is awful live. Won’t back down is meh. I liked crazy mary pre boom.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • cjzolycjzoly Posts: 508
    PJ_Soul said:

AHHHHHH...You have Andy spinning in his tomb... ;)
    I'm a Thief, I'm a Liar, There's my Church, I sing in the Choir...Hallelujah...
    mcgruff10 said:
    Driven to tears is awful live. Won’t back down is meh. I liked crazy mary pre boom.
    Yeah, I like Crazy Mary quite a bit. Even with Boom.
    cjzoly said:
    PJ_Soul said:

AHHHHHH...You have Andy spinning in his tomb... ;)
    I have to ask... Is he really in a tomb?
  • cjzolycjzoly Posts: 508
    I don't know...But Andy in a coffin didn't sound right...I was thinking tomb sounded more worldly...It is Mr. Wood...
    I'm a Thief, I'm a Liar, There's my Church, I sing in the Choir...Hallelujah...
    cjzoly said:
    I don't know...But Andy in a coffin didn't sound right...I was thinking tomb sounded more worldly...It is Mr. Wood...
    Lol..... I have to admit, and not to speak ill of the dead or anything.... But I've never been much of a fan.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096

:o
    edited September 2018

Lol. She's just awful.
    Not a bad actress though. She should have stuck to that!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,709
    Limp Bizkit- Behind Blue Eyes
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • There are two pointless covers I can't stand:

Disturbed: Sound of Silence

Bad Wolves: Zombie
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited September 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hey...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUNyjtY-N8I

If we are talking bland PJ covers, I think they do nothing interesting really with All along the Watchtower. But maybe it's just that the song is so overplayed in general. I kind of dig the I'm Not There version Eddie sang on.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    There are two pointless covers I can't stand:

Disturbed's cover of Sound of Silence is objectively terrible.  It's so weirdly maudlin, yet devoid of real emotion.
    He sounds like he's trying to do a parody imitation of himself.
    It literally reminds me of Adam Sandler's Eddie Vedder imitation on SNL.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:

Disturbed's cover of Sound of Silence is objectively terrible.  It's so weirdly maudlin, yet devoid of real emotion.

This is item #2 we've come to consensus on.

The worst thing? I've got a buddy that typically has strong taste in music. He fires this on every now and then. I want to poke pins in my eyeballs.
  • Weezer doing Africa was a homegrown event.

A fan started a video that went viral and it reached the band and it's part of their set list now.  

I don't see it as pointless when you know the story behind it.

Pearl Jam doing Last Kiss is a great story and when it received a bunch of radio play with ZERO promotion but people shit on that song too...

I will say that Limpbizkit's version of Behind Two Eyes is pointless.  That song came out when every album HAD to have a cover on it as the first single.  That drove me mad.

Same with Disturbed and Shout, Sounds of Silence.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    The only thing a cover "needs" in order to have a point is the artist enjoying playing it.
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    rgambs said:

:o 

You might should listen to this live version… it's far away from being without real emotion.
    I absolutely love it, and still get goosebumbs.
    It's maybe the original videos style what makes it look less emotional. Since I learned about this live version I totally prefer it!

For me covers can still be good even that it doesn't have unique changes on it. Then it mostly depends on the voice of the singer, like Eddie's voice. Sometimes only that already makes it good. 
    I also think a cover doesn't have to be better at all to be interesting. …. As long as it's not as horrible as that Jeremy cover from above… jezuz… 27 seconds, then I had to stop it.. 

Then again I love covers from bands who get out off their usual music style or comfort zone. Completely change a song just by using different instruments - also perfect. 

And even the songs required here could be cool just because your favorite band is covering it. 
    So pointless cover is hard for me to find. Not the bad ones though. ;)
    However… just please don't do it like Courtney did… lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3By4DZyTNM
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    The only thing a cover "needs" in order to have a point is the artist enjoying playing it.
    Perfect said!
    I am with you.  I fail to understand these types of threads.