Any Powderfinger fans out there?

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
Tons and tons of great bands that have come out of Australia, but none better than Powderfinger IMO. They have an awesome catalog worth listening to (start with Double Allergic and move forward). I was super lucky to see them twice, once in Philadelphia and once in St.Louis during a very rare USA tour back in 2001. My wife's all time favorite band - she introduced them to me when I studied abroad in Perth for a year. One neat thing about them you didn't see much back in the day were tons of b-sides to their singles. Outtakes, demos, and live cuts. Reminds me a lot of Pearl Jam in the 90s with their singles. A few years back I was able to make a 18 track mixtape of just their b-sides. Pretty awesome. Anybody else like them? What's your favorite record?
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    Great Aussie band!!!
    I think Vulture Street is probably my fave??
    You Am I is another awesome Oz band I would also recommend....
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • I thought this was a Neil Young thread.

"Look out mama..."
    "My brain's a good brain!"

I thought this was a Neil Young thread.

"Look out mama..."

Uncle Neil was the inspiration for their name...
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    edited July 2016
    Yeah love me some Powderfinger.

Saw them numerous times here in Australia.

They were the biggest band in Australia in the mid '00s. They had a great run of consecutive albums including Double Allergic, Internationalist, Odyssey Number 5 and Vulture St. They were at the apex of Oz Rock during those albums.

After Internationalist they went from playing pubs / bars and festivals to stadium filling stars for Odyssey and Vulture St.

They constantly topped Triple J 107.5 Hottest 100 and were acclaimed by punters and the critics alike.

Probably pulled the pin at the right time.

Not sure what their all up to these days!? All seem to lead pretty quiet lives with their families.
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Can't say that I am, but Ian Haug currently is with The Church and filling in admirably for Marty Willson-Piper, IMO.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    I thought you meant the song (a personal favorite) but no. I'll check them out!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Bernard Fanning has some awesome solo records. About to release another one. Darren Middleton has a few solo recording records too that are good.
    www.cluthelee.com

Bernard Fanning has some awesome solo records. About to release another one. Darren Middleton has a few solo recording records too that are good.

In fact isn't Bernard releasing two albums!? Did I hear right that one is upcoming and then another one in the new year!?
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    edited July 2016
    Yep, 'Civil Dusk' is out in August and 'Brutal Dawn' is out in early 2017. I loved Bernard's 'Tea & Sympathy' record, I still listen to it quite a bit.

Powderfinger were always my second favourite Australian band (after You Am I). I was lucky enough to see them 3 times, including their final Sydney gig, and they always put on a great show
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    edited July 2016
    goldrush said:

Yep, 'Civil Dusk' is out in August and 'Brutal Dawn' is out in early 2017. I loved Bernard's 'Tea & Sympathy' record, I still listen to it quite a bit.

Powderfinger were always my second favourite Australian band (after You Am I). I was lucky enough to see them 3 times, including their final Sydney gig, and they always put on a great show

Tea and Sympathy is one of those records that I come back to 1x a month since it's release. So good! I get his newsletter but for some reason there are country restrictions on the audio, so can't hear the new song he released from Civil Dusk.

Edit: Nevermind!! http://www.bernardfanning.com/music/
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Yesterday at Splendour in the Grass Festival during the Bernard Fannings set, Powderfinger reunited for two songs Baby I've Got You on My Mind and These Days :joy::joy: 

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/news/musicnews/pf/8734444
    Yesterday at Splendour in the Grass Festival during the Bernard Fannings set, Powderfinger reunited for two songs Baby I've Got You on My Mind and These Days :joy::joy: 

Saw that on FB! Music to my ears...literally! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14

Holy shit! Wow!! I'd love a come back! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Ha me too!! I wish I was there, I've listened and it sounded amazing :)
    Ha me too!! I wish I was there, I've listened and it sounded amazing :)
    They looked like they were having a blast! Its too bad the drummer didn't/couldn't make it. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    It would have been great to have seen that. What a cool treat for the Splendour crowd :)

Unfortunately Bernard has said it's just a one-off:

And a comment from Jon Coghill:
    http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2017/07/24/powderfinger-drummer-on-being-left-out-of-splendour-set-i-just-thought,-whats-going-on/

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    It would have been great to have seen that. What a cool treat for the Splendour crowd :)

Unfortunately Bernard has said it's just a one-off:

And a comment from Jon Coghill:
    http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2017/07/24/powderfinger-drummer-on-being-left-out-of-splendour-set-i-just-thought,-whats-going-on/
    Strange....the whole band just happened to be there except the drummer. I think something's in the works...Bernard didn't completely dismiss it. Basically if it's something they want to do then they'll do it. So there is hope! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    Deluxe edition of Internationalist. Going to have to ask my Aussie in-laws for a copy this Christmas. Unless anyone in Australia can help me out sooner?
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited September 2018
    Deluxe edition of Internationalist. Going to have to ask my Aussie in-laws for a copy this Christmas. Unless anyone in Australia can help me out sooner?
    Check your pms :)
    One of the unreleased demo songs from the Internationalist reissue:

Feels Like Something (Demo)
    https://youtu.be/ga9lRfWmnyE

(Tim Rogers)
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Not a fan per se. I only know one song (thanks to a 10C member). I like it!

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Tash made me order the coloured vinyl signed set  :):)
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    Man, haven't thought about these guys in a long time! Odyssey Number Five is one of my all-time favorite albums. Gotta spin some Powderfinger now!
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24

(Tim Rogers)
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    ^^ oh that is wonderful! Discovered them when I was living in Australia in 2003 and have loved them ever since. Odyssey Number 5 is my favorite =)
    Well that was amazing! Of course way too short ;) thank you Powderfinger!
    JPPJ84 said:
    Yeah I could have listened all night! How good did Bernard sound? We really need more Powderfinger

Not a bad set list at all, but about 2 hours too short!

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Yeah I could have listened all night! How good did Bernard sound? We really need more Powderfinger

Not a bad set list at all, but about 2 hours too short!
    Maybe they realize how much they miss this and reunite :)
    Yeah sounded awesome but waaaaaay too short.... 
    Fortitude Music Hall looked pretty cool being empty - such a great venue!!! 
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024