Idea on how to fix the "holiday single" problem.

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    :wink: I switched to digital. I'll buy the 45's when the extra inventory hits the shop.

To each their own, but at $10+shipping for the single, the extra $20 has more value than just the single.
    Yeah, in the past I've always argued in favor of the membership fee far exceeding the value of the benefits received.  The problem for me is that it's just gotten to a point where it would be more valuable if it was on time, not a year or two late.  I'm paying a membership fee to get a product and service that they're promising for that specific year but consistently failing hard to fulfill.  They'll get my extra $20 again when they can do that.  Ten Club is the only fan club that operates this way, and most of us just accept it. We shrug our shoulders and say "That's just the Ten Club, get used to it."  Why are we all ok with this? All it does is further enable them to get away with unfulfilled promises.  If U2 or Dave Matthews or Metallica or Lady Gaga did this to their paying fans, there would be uproar. But Pearl Jam/Ten Club does it and we're all just complacent with the behavior.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    :wink: I switched to digital. I'll buy the 45's when the extra inventory hits the shop.

To each their own, but at $10+shipping for the single, the extra $20 has more value than just the single.
    Yeah, in the past I've always argued in favor of the membership fee far exceeding the value of the benefits received.  The problem for me is that it's just gotten to a point where it would be more valuable if it was on time, not a year or two late.  I'm paying a membership fee to get a product and service that they're promising for that specific year but consistently failing hard to fulfill.  They'll get my extra $20 again when they can do that.  Ten Club is the only fan club that operates this way, and most of us just accept it. We shrug our shoulders and say "That's just the Ten Club, get used to it."  Why are we all ok with this? All it does is further enable them to get away with unfulfilled promises.  If U2 or Dave Matthews or Metallica or Lady Gaga did this to their paying fans, there would be uproar. But Pearl Jam/Ten Club does it and we're all just complacent with the behavior.
    Not true, I'll saw off my right arm before I leave Lady Gaga's fan club.
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    I just want something from last year.  Reupped in May to analog and still don't have any vinyl from it.  We're in this together!
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • They need to do a 2X45 set like they did for 94/95.

It could be Side A : Full band Studio Cover Of Eve Of Destruction, Side B Solo Ed playing Hurt, Side C We Are Gonna Be Friends, and Side D Jack Whites Daughter Cover....

Everyone Will be Happy!!!

Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
    I have an idea how to fix the annual single problem.
    Send out a single once a year!
    mace1229 said:
    And do it the same year we pay for it!
  • :wink: I switched to digital. I'll buy the 45's when the extra inventory hits the shop.

Same here.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,004

This...
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Remember when we used to get 10c stickers?  and a patch?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,743
    edited September 2018
    Shit, when was the last vinyl single sent out? I haven’t even thought about it anymore, my $40 just gets deducted every February 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,743
    Okay so we are currently awaiting the 2017 single so maybe it will be double like 94/95? Odd they were all on point until 2009 but the band caught up in 2016. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Jam_discography
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Not sure the double would work, there are some folks that didn't have an analog last year and do this year, and there are some that had it both years. So at this rate we're waiting on two if you were in for 2017 (one) and 2018 (two)
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    edited September 2018
    BSully said:

This...
    I think it depends on the person.  For me the 10 tshirts haven't been that great.   Not something I really wear around.   I don't really use the bootleg codes because they only work on mp3.  They charge you to upgrade to FLAC :(  I buy the shows I go to on CD so there's not a big pressing demand to use the code. 

I'm also International so paying an extra $30 USD for my membership.   If it wasn't for the single, I'd go to digital.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    I love the vinyl singles. I love the deep magazine. 

I do not love that I don’t even know what year single we are on?!?  It is a bit frustrating (and lame) that we don’t even get a single the year we paid. As someone else stated there is plenty of material out there to throw something together. Give us a “demo” studio version of “Of The Earth”. We know they have recorded it. Being a year and a half or two years (I don’t even know anymore) behind is just not great customer service. Especially for those of us that are analog members pretty much for the vinyl. I love getting that 45 and just wish it was a little closer to “on time”
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    PSUS2H said:
    Not sure the double would work, there are some folks that didn't have an analog last year and do this year, and there are some that had it both years. So at this rate we're waiting on two if you were in for 2017 (one) and 2018 (two)
    I've been thinking about this thing for some time now.. Expecially considering that this actually happened in 1995: someone buys a 1995 membership only, gets the double 1995 single; some other was a member in 94 and in 95 too, and gets the same 1995 single (the difference is this latter person basically paid twice for it). Doesn't sound right, no? The funny thing is.. you didn't have the internet for bitching about it. I wonder if there actually was someone who sent them a mail (actual postage, I mean) in order to complain about it. Or people just didn't care back then, because you know, it's the 90's baby, we're cool people. Oh, well.
    Just wait 4 more years and send us all a Sevens box set to make up for it.
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Just wait 4 more years and send us all a Sevens box set to make up for it.
    I would be up for it. Even better, make us wait ten years more and send us all a Benaroya vinyl boxset (I already have it, but a second copy would be useful).
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PSUS2H said:
    I've been thinking about this thing for some time now.. Expecially considering that this actually happened in 1995: someone buys a 1995 membership only, gets the double 1995 single; some other was a member in 94 and in 95 too, and gets the same 1995 single (the difference is this latter person basically paid twice for it). Doesn't sound right, no? The funny thing is.. you didn't have the internet for bitching about it. I wonder if there actually was someone who sent them a mail (actual postage, I mean) in order to complain about it. Or people just didn't care back then, because you know, it's the 90's baby, we're cool people. Oh, well.
    no online outrage, so no problem for the band/mgmnt. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229 said:

If they got started with production in April or May, they could easily get them out by the end of the year to anyone who renews that year.

The problem seemed to be when people would renew after the deadline, they wouldn't be eligible. Say the deadline was October 15...if you renewed on October 17, you wouldn't be eligible until the next year's...if I understand it correctly. Luckily, as I renew early in the year, I never had that issue, but I heard many people did.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    edited September 2018
    Remember when we used to get 10c stickers?  and a patch?

These packets were replaced by the shirt (one year, it was luggage tags or shirt.)
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Shit, when was the last vinyl single sent out? I haven’t even thought about it anymore, my $40 just gets deducted every February 

The last was the RRHOF single which said 2017, but was really 2016.

Right now, they owe for anyone who paid in 2017. If they do this, they're back on time.
  • PSUS2H said:

Try this:

If you paid both years, you got both. This seems fair.

What about...people who paid for 1994 OR 1995, but NOT both? They got a free record.
    mace1229 said:

If they got started with production in April or May, they could easily get them out by the end of the year to anyone who renews that year.

The problem seemed to be when people would renew after the deadline, they wouldn't be eligible. Say the deadline was October 15...if you renewed on October 17, you wouldn't be eligible until the next year's...if I understand it correctly. Luckily, as I renew early in the year, I never had that issue, but I heard many people did.
    they really should catch everyone up to renew at the same time every year (pro-rate whomever needs to be pro-rated). If they want to have it be a single released around xmas of every year, make the deadline July 1st. If they are just going to start releasing it whenever they can, do it January 1st. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PSUS2H said:
    I don't have a problem with that. Its a double album, so they got 2 singles.
    The person who paid for both years gets what they paid for. The person who only paid for one gets lucky, I'm not against people getting lucky as long as I'm not screwed over as a result of it.
    edited September 2018
    Shit, when was the last vinyl single sent out? I haven’t even thought about it anymore, my $40 just gets deducted every February 

Right now, they owe for anyone who paid in 2017. If they do this, they're back on time.

I truly think they lost track , didnt realize they were 2 years behind and thats why it was printed as 2017. 
    Could even be they hoped we'd forget about it, see the record that says "2017" and just moved on.
  • mace1229 said:

I truly think they lost track , didnt realize they were 2 years behind and thats why it was printed as 2017. 
    Could even be they hoped we'd forget about it, see the record that says "2017" and just moved on.

I think it was Santos who mentioned the 2017 as being a typo. I mean, one of the songs on there was recorded in 2017, but they say it's the 2016. Whatever.

Either way, they owe us 2016 or 2017, depending on how you look at it, plus a 2018...which technically isn't owed until the end of the year.
    Another way to fix the problem is just do away with it. 
    DYERS GETTIN' IRRATIONAL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Another way to fix the problem is just do away with it. 
    DYERS GETTIN' IRRATIONAL
    Not too irrational. In 2011 I switched to a digital membership and haven't thought about the single ever since. If they release a note worthy single, I'll buy it in the goods.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    DYERS GETTIN' IRRATIONAL
    Not too irrational. In 2011 I switched to a digital membership and haven't thought about the single ever since. If they release a note worthy single, I'll buy it in the goods.
    for PJ, I still like the physical single. I have mostly switched to digital music, with these exceptions:

-canadian bands
    -favourite non-canadian bands 

and with PJ the only vinyl I generally get is the single, or if the release is vinyl-only (like Jeff's Heaven/Hell). If it's available on cd, I buy that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD