To Ten Club – Merch suggestion (fellow fans, please add your support)

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    slabahn13 said:
    slabahn13 said:
    slabahn13 said:
    fgalpern said:
    Dear Ten Club,

I'm sure you're aware of the number of posters, shirts, hats, etc. being sold for exorbitant prices on eBay, immediately after they first go on sale at concerts. Fans have little opportunity to get these items at the shows and wind up paying these unfair eBay prices
    fattening the wallets of flippers who do nothing but hurt this great community. That money could go direct to the Ten Club, or even better, go to support worthy charities.

To solve this problem, please consider offering posters, setlist shirts and other items for sale online directly to Ten Club members who have purchased tickets through the club for those specific shows. You could even offer these items in a bundle and charge an extra dollar or two for charities.

Thanks for considering!
    So 50-60 hours of sales at outside merch stands, 2 nights of inside merch stands during the shows with 10-12 different stands open, artists drops and 10 Club drops equal LITTLE opportunity to purchase merch?? NO ONE says you have to buy anything on eBay. If you don't like the price, wait for it to fall or don't buy it. Also, 10 Club is NOT in charge of merch at the shows, MrTsurt is, so complaining to 10 Club won't do anything. 

The fact is, no one is entitled to anything. If you want something bad enough, put in the time and effort to get it. 
    Please count the hours where the merch being sought after was available. Mumford 45 mins first day after waiting over 2 hrs, same story next day... Mumford probably clocks in at less than 1 hr availability each day ONLY if you queued hours earlier.
    So now you are talking about 1 specific item, the OP was not. Again, you have multiple opportunities to purchase outside, inside at the venue for 2 separate shows, artists drops and the 10 Club drop. If you want it bad enough, line up earlier. 
    I don’t think anyone was complaining about the items in stock the entire duration. 
    Ok, so now you are referring to the "hot" poster being out of stock. There is no certain way to determine which poster will sell the best, and therefore, increase production for it. Do you really want to know why the posters have been a little more difficult to get this time around at Fenway? Go look in the 10 Club shop and see that 4 of the 5 posters from 2016 are now on clearance. They were burned last time, and most likely, decreased the amount printed so they don't end up in the same situation. 

As far as setlist shirts, I agree that making them available online would be a great move. Not everyone has an opportunity to line up to get those the day after a show. 
    I was pretty certain which poster was going to sell best this time. Unfortunately 2 were terrible, 2 were average in my opinion and only 1 good one. We all knew the train would sell the best.
    But I know that isnt your point. I think the fact that everyone really only wanted the same poster is part of the problem, if they had 5 good ones then it wouldn't have been that big of a deal.
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    agree
    danny d
  • JB56195JB56195 Posts: 303

this little sticker makes everything ok.
    This always makes me laugh because in reality, it's a say no to forgery sticker and has no impact on flippers what so ever.

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

• StevieG73StevieG73 Dublin, Ireland and New Brunswick, Canada Posts: 440
    slabahn13 said:
    fgalpern said:
    Dear Ten Club,

I'm sure you're aware of the number of posters, shirts, hats, etc. being sold for exorbitant prices on eBay, immediately after they first go on sale at concerts. Fans have little opportunity to get these items at the shows and wind up paying these unfair eBay prices
    fattening the wallets of flippers who do nothing but hurt this great community. That money could go direct to the Ten Club, or even better, go to support worthy charities.

To solve this problem, please consider offering posters, setlist shirts and other items for sale online directly to Ten Club members who have purchased tickets through the club for those specific shows. You could even offer these items in a bundle and charge an extra dollar or two for charities.

Thanks for considering!
    So 50-60 hours of sales at outside merch stands, 2 nights of inside merch stands during the shows with 10-12 different stands open, artists drops and 10 Club drops equal LITTLE opportunity to purchase merch?? NO ONE says you have to buy anything on eBay. If you don't like the price, wait for it to fall or don't buy it. Also, 10 Club is NOT in charge of merch at the shows, MrTsurt is, so complaining to 10 Club won't do anything. 

The fact is, no one is entitled to anything. If you want something bad enough, put in the time and effort to get it. 
    Couldn't agree with this guy any more.  If you want to sit at a patio bar having beers before the show...don't knock the people that stand in line to get what they want...flippers OR fans, the effort has to be there.
    2000 = Montreal 
    2003 = Montreal
    2005 = Halifax, St. John's Night 1
    2008 = NYC Night 1, 
    2010 = Boston
    2011 = EV - Boston, PJ20 Night 1&2, Toronto
    2012 = EV - Orlando Night 1&2
    2013 = Chicago, Worcester Night 1
    2016 = Boston '16
    edited September 2018
    StevieG73 said:
    slabahn13 said:
    fgalpern said:
    Dear Ten Club,

Thanks for considering!

Couldn't agree with this guy any more.  If you want to sit at a patio bar having beers before the show...don't knock the people that stand in line to get what they want...flippers OR fans, the effort has to be there.
    The question is how much effort is reasonable?  I got out to Wrigley at 6:30 and missed breakfast with my family and still couldn't score all the posters which sold out literally a few people in front of me.  At some point it gets stupid.  Same thing in Seattle.  I went early and it took entirely too long so I didn't see the MoPop exhibition.  Seems stupid that the band wouldn't want me spending money and doing things in their town....you know helping the homeless by attending the businesses they partnered with.  Still couldn't score a Shuss.

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

• StevieG73StevieG73 Dublin, Ireland and New Brunswick, Canada Posts: 440
    edited September 2018
    JB56195 said:
    StevieG73 said:
    slabahn13 said:
    fgalpern said:
    Dear Ten Club,

Thanks for considering!

The question is how much effort is reasonable?  I got out to Wrigley at 6:30 and missed breakfast with my family and still couldn't score all the posters which sold out literally a few people in front of me.  At some point it gets stupid.  Same thing in Seattle.  I went early and it took entirely too long so I didn't see the MoPop exhibition.  Seems stupid that the band wouldn't want me spending money and doing things in their town....you know helping the homeless by attending the businesses they partnered with.  Still couldn't score a Shuss.
    Definitely can't argue with your point, there's definitely something wrong if you don't get what you want by standing in line at 6:30AM.  I'd be upset as well...no doubt.  My problem is with people that are continually complaining about the current setup because they want the experience to be easier for them.  No one seems to realize that if they decide to implement a pre-sale, order merch with ticket or online after the show....that kills the onsite merchandise tents.  Who is going to want to carry their stuff around at the shows.

Just like when an artists sells his prints online, there are countless people trying to get 1 of 100 (or 300) of a print...and they don't get one and the whole process is deemed a 'shitshow'.
    Post edited by StevieG73 on
    2000 = Montreal 
    2003 = Montreal
    2005 = Halifax, St. John's Night 1
    2008 = NYC Night 1, 
    2010 = Boston
    2011 = EV - Boston, PJ20 Night 1&2, Toronto
    2012 = EV - Orlando Night 1&2
    2013 = Chicago, Worcester Night 1
    2016 = Boston '16
    edited September 2018

StevieG73 said:
    JB56195 said:
    StevieG73 said:
    slabahn13 said:
    fgalpern said:
    Dear Ten Club,

Thanks for considering!

Definitely can't argue with your point, there's definitely something wrong if you don't get what you want by standing in line at 6:30AM.  I'd be upset as well...no doubt.  My problem is with people that are continually complaining about the current setup because they want the experience to be easier for them.  No one seems to realize that if they decide to implement a pre-sale, order merch with ticket or online after the show....that kills the onsite merchandise tents.  Who is going to want to carry their stuff around at the shows.
    I hear you.  I'm not totally upset.  The reality is there are way bigger things in life to be upset about.  Annoyed is probably a better phrase.  However, for everyone that says demand wouldn't be there is wrong.  I coudn't get wrist bands, stickers, two posters, set list shirts and enough baseball cards to complete a set.  There is at least 150 bucks they didn't get of my money.

• I agree..
  • ***bump***
    10C Member # 6,9XX - from 1992 to Present, attended 40 shows and counting...
  • CJ23113CJ23113 Long Island Posts: 187
    Definitely what the foo fighters did was probably the best thing. Having a preorder then pick up at a location. The lines were minimal. Only thing was they didnt have the poster for presale.
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,773
    Selling in advance to 10 Club members would help. Well, it would help 10 Club members. Only 10 Club members. But, as long as we get our posters, screw everyone else, right?

The fairest way to "fix" the merch would be to end pre-show sales, and move all the merch back inside the venues. Flippers would still eat the cost of a ticket to get in, but it would be more difficult for them to buy up everything before non-flippers get in. Even more so if the stands hold firm to item limits and the venue is strict on what people can bring in (so, poster tubes of a certain size, and only one).

Other than that, either plan accordingly (we got up at 6:30am Tuesday, were in line at 7:00, and had our pick of everything when we got into the stand around 9:30), or convince yourself that stuff is just stuff and it's not worth getting worked up over.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • MK88178MK88178 Chicago Posts: 483
    One poster per person outside of the venue. 2 on the inside.
  • Daughter5Daughter5 Mass Posts: 38
    My daughter and I we're in line for what seemed like hours. The guy in front of me bought 5 posters I felt lucky only one left and he had more in other bags I think we all know where those posters are now!!!
    I have been a member since 2,000 with a few lost years due to illness.
    At one time didn't Ten Club have a Ten Club booth just for member's? I thought I remember a spot just for member's and we had to show our wrist bands or something saying your a Ten   club member?  Maybe I was just wishing there was one.
    I know I'm not the only loyal member who has everything I've saved since becoming a member. I have stacks of 45's Christmas Vinyl, all the booklets we get all in a safe place, and all posters are framed hanging everywhere.

My point is for myself and member's I've talked with at concerts value our collection of Pearl Jam items. Trust me I'm not rich, I know how valuable my collection is no matter how broke I have been I never thought or would think to list even 1 item on E Bay. Why can't Ten Club have a few booths for member's on!y? All we have to do is show our wrist bands and limit the number of posters, or other big ticket items? 
    Just know loyal fans treasure our Pearl Jam poster's, vinals. etc...  Just a thought 
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,773
    MK88178 said:
    One poster per person outside of the venue. 2 on the inside.
    Stop. Item limits outside will never work. NEVER.

Let's say you wanted to buy 10 Mumfords this past weekend, but they were good about imposing the 2 poster limit. You grab four buddies, get in line, give them $70 to buy the posters and a little extra for their trouble/time. You each buy two, you sell ten on ebay for $150+ each. You still doubled your money.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    JB56195 said:

this little sticker makes everything ok.
    This always makes me laugh because in reality, it's a say no to forgery sticker and has no impact on flippers what so ever.
    Right?

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I hate lines. Which is why I'm missing so many posters. 
    I never understand why anyone would wait in line for 4+ hours for a poster. If I really want it that bad I'd pay the extra $100 (usually even less) to get one and be happy I didn't spend half a day in line. But most of the time I don't, which is why I have about 5 posters for the 19 shows I've been to.
  • I'm a realtive newb to the whole merch thing, as I never really cared about high dollar, concert merch.  However, my first PJ concert was this summer, and they had some really cool stuff!  I bought 4 shirts, a sticker, and some buttons.  Did I want a Thomas poster?  Yes!  Did I get one? No.  I'm glad I bought what I could, and am ever more ecstatic to have seen them perform.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    RP112579 said:
    I can't believe this has never been talked about in here before.
    :)
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    also please take notice how the dad hat wildly outsold the trucker hats 

go flexfit also :)

That's for damn sure!  Bring back the old fitted hats.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • KW6232KW6232 Posts: 347
    edited September 2018
    4:45AM Flag
    “The fairest way to "fix" the merch would be to end pre-show sales, and move all the merch back inside the venues. Flippers would still eat the cost of a ticket to get in, but it would be more difficult for them to buy up everything before non-flippers get in. Even more so if the stands hold firm to item limits and the venue is strict on what people can bring in (so, poster tubes of a certain size, and only one).”

the problem with this is merchandise is the bands biggest money maker now days. Albums sales generate nearly nothing anymore. If you limited it to just inside sales with the demand of PJ merchandise you still wouldn’t get what you wanted. Half the people would miss the show by being in line and the band would be losing thousands of dollars. 
    That limits sales to about 6 total hours. How would you get 25,000( estimating half the crowd wants merch) thru  these lines in that time. Your never going to please everyone. 

• kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    KW6232 said:

the problem with this is merchandise is the bands biggest money maker now days. Albums sales generate nearly nothing anymore. 

The biggest money maker is ticket sales, but merch does good business too.
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    With this constant complaining about merch I would love for Pearl Jam to take a cue from Fugazi and do a tour where they just don’t sell anything, wonder how it would effect ticket sales.

Pearl Jam offers then fans an insane amount of merch and keep and makes it available for days.  Sure some will end up online, mostly from other fans, but if you have a problem with it don’t buy it that is how you stop it.  The band shouldn’t have to make anymore of an effort to stop it because only the fans can, but Pearl Jam fans are their own worst enemies when it comes to merch.  The people buying the stuff online are Pearl Jam fans too.
  • jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    Yes please.  I’d love a setlist shirt but there was no possible way for me to get one as i left Seattle the next morning.  It’s on eBay not for like $150.  Not the end of the world, I’m just grateful i got to see the show first and foremost..but would be nice :-)
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • unknownunknown Posts: 531
    It’s gotten to be such a problem it makes me sick
  • tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 879
    I heard at Wrigley someone asked for a box of set list shirts and they sold one person a whole box....
  • The way they do it now sells the most merch. Flippers help sales. I don’t see the current setup changing. 
  • Wasted 2.5 hours travelling and queuing at the Prague show to be told city t-shirt & poster SOLD OUT in a weekend away - waste of time - would preferred to see more of the city Prague and then turn up at the anticipated start time instead of turning up early again to try and get t-shirt & poster yo be told SOLD OUT.
    Please provide a “poster/ticket/t-shirt option” on applying for tickets....so frustrating.
    pjberlin
  • Edved007Edved007 Milwaukee, WI Posts: 1,020
    I heard at Wrigley someone asked for a box of set list shirts and they sold one person a whole box....

It depends on who you get in line.... The guy I got, I asked him point blank "I can only buy 10 packs of the cards right? and his reply verbatim was "I don't care how many you buy, you want a whole box, $240 for a whole box".  I bought 20 packs because I was shopping for a friend, but could have bought 5 full cases of them if I wanted. I bought my 2 train posters, but I have zero doubt he would have hesitated at selling me 10 if I wanted them.  Pearl Jam, their management, the 10 Club have NOTHING to do with merch sales, zero, people really struggle to grasp this.  Yes they might give limits they should enforce, but that's about it, nothing they can do if they don't follow their recommendations.  Merch is handled by a separate company, and each venue employs their people to staff the stands and tents.  This is why it's so inconsistent venue to venue.  The venue gets a nice cut as well, that's the way the contract works and why they staff the tents with their people.  You ever look at your credit card statement for your merch purchase? It never says "Pearl Jam merch" or something like that, it will say the name of the local vendor, I was just happy that in Wrigley it was coded as Wrigley concessions so I got my triple points from Chase being a "food purchase", hahaha...
    95' - 7/9
    98' - 6/26, 6/27, 6/29, 8/26, 9/22
    03' - 4/25
    06' - 6/29, 6/30
    07' - 8/05
    09' - 8/23
    11' - 9/03, 9/04
    12' - 9/30
    13' - 7/16, 7/19, 10/21, 10/22, 11/15, 11/16, 12/06
    14' - 06/28, 06/29, 10/1, 10/03, 10/16, 10/17, 10/20, 10/22
    15' - 11/20, 11/22
    16' - 4/21, 4/26, 4/28, 4/29, 5/1, 5/2, 7/9, 8/5, 8/7, 8/20, 8/22
    17' - 4/7
    18' - 7/1, 7/3, 7/5, 8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20, 9/4
    21' - 10/1, 10/2
    22' - 7/12, 7/14, 9/6, 9/8
  • unknownunknown Posts: 531
    The flippers are winning and we can’t do anything about it.  Agree?
  • cwjacwja Posts: 132
    unknown said:
    The flippers are winning and we can’t do anything about it.  Agree?
    Nah, you’re only one new thread or post about the issue away from solving the problem.