***Friendly PSA: FENWAY SHOWS EARLY START TIME and STRICT CURFEW***

wobbler_kittywobbler_kitty Millbury, MA Posts: 161
edited August 2018 in The Porch
I keep seeing people asking about the Fenway shows start time and/or have no idea about the very strict early curfew they have. So let me help you out here:

- Fenway has a STRICT 10:30 curfew.
This doesn’t mean bands don’t suck up the fines and go past it. But it’s a residential neighborhood and I’m guessing that pissing off the city officials isn’t in their best interest.

Doors are at 5:00 and the band is scheduled to go on at 6:30. 
Will they go on later than that? Probably. But I doubt by much this time around. Last time they had to wait as people didn’t bother to read the times on their tickets, assumed it would be a ‘normal’ show time, and kept hanging around at the bars. The longer the majority of you take to get in your seats the longer they wait. Do you really want a shorter show because you wanted to drink a couple more $12 PBA’s at Cask’n Flagon?

- It takes a lot longer to park, get inside and get to your seats than you think. 
Ever play Frogger? Yeah, it’s like that but with 30+k half drunk assholes meandering around. Don’t worry, it gets even better post-show.

- It’s Move In weekend for all the city colleges. 
If you’re not from the area then you have no idea of the level of fun we have planned for you. Street closings, parents dropping off their precious-wescious poopsies that are leaving home for the first time, and those same little pumpkins trying to navigate and park moving vans throughout the city.
10x the traffic? Check.
Double parked vans and cars everywhere? Check.
At least one idiot Storrowing? Probably. 
(It’s a thing, look it up.)

Do the rest of us a favor. Plan ahead, take public transport or use ride services if you can, and get to your seats EARLY. I’d at least like the possibility of a couple 3+ hour shows, I’m sure most others would too.

Post edited by wobbler_kitty on
Tagged:

Comments

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    Agreed with the above.  Band will likely start around 7:30, do NOT show up late.  Also, I highly recommend taking the T in if you're staying outside of downtown or walking distance.  Theres free parking at many of the stops like Framingham, Natick, etc and its a $9 ride in.  Drops off right at the Park.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Storrowing.
    :lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Redrumh2oRedrumh2o Boston, MA Posts: 290
    I love the curfew......an extra inning game could go till 2am or later....so stupid....BUT....I'd rather get home at a decent time on a work night
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    Honestly, I think the earlier the ball park is fairly full, the earlier they will come on.  If they look out at 7:00 and see it close to full, I bet they'll start.  
  • they finished after 10:30 for both shows in 2016, also it's not a residential neighborhood either
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    SD115313 said:
    they finished after 10:30 for both shows in 2016, also it's not a residential neighborhood either
    As a former Fenway resident, uh, yes, it is. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • "At least one idiot Storrowing? Probably. 
    (It’s a thing, look it up.)"

I looked it up, it really is a thing.

Wasn't sure what the search results were going be, since I am at work on a work computer.

Glad that we will be walking to Fenway

Wrigley 8/18/18
    Wrigley 8/20/18
    Fenway 9/2/2018
    Fenway 9/4/2018

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Love the OP, nice job
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    SD115313 said:
    they finished after 10:30 for both shows in 2016, also it's not a residential neighborhood either
    ummm no it is a residential neighborhood.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    edited August 2018
    I keep seeing people asking about the Fenway shows start time and/or have no idea about the very strict early curfew they have. So let me help you out here:

- Fenway has a STRICT 10:30 curfew.
    This doesn’t mean bands don’t suck up the fines and go past it. But it’s a residential neighborhood and I’m guessing that pissing off the city officials isn’t in their best interest.

Doors are at 5:00 and the band is scheduled to go on at 6:30. 
    Will they go on later than that? Probably. But I doubt by much this time around. Last time they had to wait as people didn’t bother to read the times on their tickets, assumed it would be a ‘normal’ show time, and kept hanging around at the bars. The longer the majority of you take to get in your seats the longer they wait. Do you really want a shorter show because you wanted to drink a couple more $12 PBA’s at Cask’n Flagon?

- It takes a lot longer to park, get inside and get to your seats than you think. 
    Ever play Frogger? Yeah, it’s like that but with 30+k half drunk assholes meandering around. Don’t worry, it gets even better post-show.

- It’s Move In weekend for all the city colleges. 
    If you’re not from the area then you have no idea of the level of fun we have planned for you. Street closings, parents dropping off their precious-wescious poopsies that are leaving home for the first time, and those same little pumpkins trying to navigate and park moving vans throughout the city.
    10x the traffic? Check.
    Double parked vans and cars everywhere? Check.
    At least one idiot Storrowing? Probably. 
    (It’s a thing, look it up.)

Do the rest of us a favor. Plan ahead, take public transport or use ride services if you can, and get to your seats EARLY. I’d at least like the possibility of a couple 3+ hour shows, I’m sure most others would too.

Thanks op! Great post. I purchased a spot (blindly) on boylston st. Am I screwed?
  • ShakesckyShakescky Posts: 342
    Do you really want a shorter show because you wanted to drink a couple more $12 PBA’s at Cask’n Flagon?

Naturally there are the fools who enjoy being shattered prior to the show and then getting the boot right before or nearly two songs into the main set.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    Shakescky said:
    Do you really want a shorter show because you wanted to drink a couple more $12 PBA’s at Cask’n Flagon?

Naturally there are the fools who enjoy being shattered prior to the show and then getting the boot right before or nearly two songs into the main set.
    I love these people. Get hammered all day then miss the whole show. What a great time. 
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    Thank you OP!! I hope everyone reads the notices and SHOWS UP ON TIME.

EV needs to go back to doing preshows to get some asses in the seats. :smile:
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • wobbler_kittywobbler_kitty Millbury, MA Posts: 161
    edited August 2018
    dankind said:
    SD115313 said:

Yeeeaahhh SD, it really, truly is. Pinky swear.

And yes, they finished about 17 minutes late N2, not exactly pushing it and not both nights. And Fenway’s dropping the curfew hammer even more this year.

Like it’s been said, the earlier they see the place filling up, the earlier they can go on. Why do you think they started a rumor about an early acoustic set last time N1? It was to get people to move their asses inside so they could go on.

Not sure why people keep saying ‘“well in ‘16 they went on at...”
    So it can’t change this time?
    Did it occur to (general) you that maybe they’re trying to go on earlier in order to play a killer 3+ hour show instead of 2 1/2ish hours?
    That maybe Fenway is really on their ass this year?

I dunno man, doesn’t seem like anyone’s being put out by getting inside a bit earlier than normal... 
    Post edited by wobbler_kitty on
    nicknyr15 said:

Thanks op! Great post. I purchased a spot (blindly) on boylston st. Am I screwed?
     Define screwed? ;)
    Pre-purchasing parking will be a bit cheaper, so there’s that. 

It’ll take you a while to get out of there if you plan on heading home right after. But the bars and merch stands will be open, so killing time there won’t be all that boring. Plus even more drunk Frogger. And who doesn’t love to watch some douchebros get in a pissing match and get hauled off by BPD while murdering Even Flow lyrics?
  • DRINK UP FOOLS! ;)

It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Matts3221 said:
    SD115313 said:
    ummm no it is a residential neighborhood.
    This as well as night 1 ended at 10:30 right on the nose. I am guessing they will do the same thing for at least night 1 and scratch some great songs of the set again. :anguished:
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    edited August 2018
    Regardless, I'll be in my seat at 6:30.  There are worse places to hang out than on the field in Fenway.  Even if I do have to buy a $12 beer
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    SD115313 said:
    But since Fenway is holding a record 12 shows this year and pushing their luck with the residents of the residential neighborhood where the ballpark sits, the 10:30 curfew is being strictly enforced this year at all shows.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Regardless, I'll be in my seat at 6:30.  There are worse places to hang out than on the field in Fenway.  Even if I do have to buy a $12 beer
    Exactly. 

Fenway Park > The Bar
  • Jimmy124Jimmy124 Posts: 52
    dankind said:
    SD115313 said:
    I think the curfew is stupid, its not like they built the place yesterday. If you decide to move next to an iconic MLB ballpark in a major city, you deal with shit sometimes.
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,327
    I don't think they care if it's full or when it's full. They'll go on whenever they feel like it. In Seattle I remember looking back at a full ballpark  from GA and then waiting at least another 15 minutes before they went on. I'm sure they'll plan for whatever gets them to around 3:00 - 3:15 worth of onstage time.
    Jimmy124 said:
    dankind said:
    SD115313 said:
    I think the curfew is stupid, its not like they built the place yesterday. If you decide to move next to an iconic MLB ballpark in a major city, you deal with shit sometimes.

Preeeeetty sure concerts are far more of a nuisance than sporting events. The noise, more people with thousands of extra seats on the field, the production before and after... 

They only started allowing concerts about 15 years ago. It was a reeeally big deal with the city to come to an agreement on that and they typically only allow a few-ish shows each year to appease the city and residents. Fenway is pushing it this year by hosting more shows than ever. It’s only logical that they make a bigger deal out of the curfew for fear of the city telling them to piss off altogether.
    Jimmy124 said:
    dankind said:
    SD115313 said:
    :clap: Also 10:30 isn’t even that late. At least 11:00 or 11:30 would be more reasonable. But I guess they are accounting for traffic/noise of people leaving.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    Jimmy124 said:
    dankind said:
    SD115313 said:
    :clap: Also 10:30 isn’t even that late. At least 11:00 or 11:30 would be more reasonable. But I guess they are accounting for traffic/noise of people leaving.

Our normal state sound ordinance curfew is 11:00. Indoor and outdoor shows. Yeah, we kinda suck like that.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Thats why NOLA makes sense.  They could start at 2am if they wanted to. 
    Jimmy124 said:
    dankind said:
    SD115313 said:

Our normal state sound ordinance curfew is 11:00. Indoor and outdoor shows. Yeah, we kinda suck like that.

INDOOR shows? :O
    Jimmy124 said:
    dankind said:
    SD115313 said:

INDOOR shows? :O

I know, right? So lame. 
  • Fixer13Fixer13 Posts: 192
    Thanks OP!  I was on the fence about driving to Boston or taking the train.  After reading your post I decided to take the Pearl Jam Express for both shows.  Taking the Amtrak Downeaster from Portland.  Staying over for the first night.  Hope to catch the last train back on Night 2!  Gonna be fun.  
    "How do afford your rock 'n roll lifestyle?"- Cake