Options

1st stadium concert (Fenway)

Huge PJ fan, but never been to a PJ event such as this. Entered the lottery for night 2 at Fenway and got B93 row NN seats 21,22. Got 2 on that ticket drop this afternoon for night 1 and got TURFB6 row 2 seats 13,14. 

If I was gonna do 1 show, which should I choose? My feeling is night 1 because row 2 of that section seems pretty ok. I have no idea what Tuesday night seats would be like. Any helpful info would be appreciated. 

Comments

• Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,440
    LOL.  Night one will be full of butterflies because Pearl Jam playing in Boston at Fenway Park = pure magic.  My gut instinct tells me Night 2 has the potential to be one of those Orpheum 1994 type of "I was there" shows.  So, you need to do both.  LOL!  Have fun.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,742
    If you can swing both you would be crazy not to. If you can't flip a coin for which show will be better. Your night 1 tickets are much better than night 2 though still aways back on the field. Night 2 in 93 are ok. We did 94 in 2016 and were happy with them but still once again aways back. 
  • Options
    kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    Huge PJ fan, but never been to a PJ event such as this. Entered the lottery for night 2 at Fenway and got B93 row NN seats 21,22. Got 2 on that ticket drop this afternoon for night 1 and got TURFB6 row 2 seats 13,14. 

If I was gonna do 1 show, which should I choose? My feeling is night 1 because row 2 of that section seems pretty ok. I have no idea what Tuesday night seats would be like. Any helpful info would be appreciated. 
    You should go to both...but if you don't go to Night 1, I'd buy the tix from you!!!
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,172
    Night 2s are usually better than Night 1s. That being said, you will regret not going to both if you can swing it. Do both!!
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    My wife would do both shows if I pestered  her enough, if you get my drift. If I do decide on 1, will probably be night 1. In that case, I would gladly transfer my night 2 tickets for a bit of a discount, $200 even. I consider getting those tickets today for $265 a pretty good deal, relative to the prices I see on the secondary market. 
  • Options
    DosimetricPJFanDosimetricPJFan Posts: 76
    edited August 2018
    After reading more comments, I am now wanting to pester her. So hard to not go, I''ll be .7 miles away from Fenway
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    In my experience Night 2's tend to be more epic than Night 1's.   Night 1's can be pretty good, but they often feel like the warmup for night 2.   Seattle Night 1 was pretty damn good, but Seattle Night 2 was epic.  There's a few exceptions to this rule, but more often than not, night 2's tend to be the standout.

To be fair, I'd say go to both.  PJ really only repeats the staples (even flow, corduroy, DTE, rearviewmirror, porch, etc..).   The rest are usually different from night to night.   I feel like your not getting the whole experience unless you go to both shows in the same city.
  • Options
    you can always climb one of the nearby skyscrapers and watch the show for free, ala the kids in 2016.
  • Options
    Or if you go to the House of Blues on Monday, see if you can watch Night 1 and go to Night 2.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    Seattle fans were raving about their N2, and it was a 3.5 hour show, damn what a huge effort from the band.

But nine covers? Nine? I'd be bored to tears.

One fan's epic show can be another fan's yawn fest.

• Options
    bored to tears?  Let's see

Would love to hear during one show covers like:

1)Sonic Reducer
    2) Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns
    3) Baba OReilly
    4) Comfortably Numb
    5) Whip It
    6) You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
    7) Sittin on the Dock of the Bay
    8) I won't back down
    9) Redemption Song

• Options
    bored to tears?  Let's see

Would love to hear during one show covers like:

1)Sonic Reducer
    2) Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns
    3) Baba OReilly
    4) Comfortably Numb
    5) Whip It
    6) You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
    7) Sittin on the Dock of the Bay
    8) I won't back down
    9) Redemption Song

I love four of those songs, five if we count MLB as two.

But with Ed singing the other five, they just don't work for me. At all. I think I'm in the minority.

I would much rather hear the worst five songs from Binaural

';-)
  • Options
    I love a lot of music/bands. The only 2 that I travel to see are PJ and the Jacket.

The reason is, I know the show will be great, regardless of the set list. If I thought for one second I might not like the set list, I wouldn't bother traveling to see a band.

• Options
    Based on some your thoughts here, my wife said "let's go to both"
  • Options
    You guys that are saying go to both, are these stadium shows that much more electric than traditional venues like basketball arenas?
  • Options
    Check out the sets from 2016 at Fenway as well as the other ballpark shows of 2013-2018. They have a little bit for everyone imo. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Check out the sets from 2016 at Fenway as well as the other ballpark shows of 2013-2018. They have a little bit for everyone imo. 
    I've seen them, but I feel that way about all of their shows honestly
  • Options
    You'll have goosebumps for both shows, guaranteed.  
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    You guys that are saying go to both, are these stadium shows that much more electric than traditional venues like basketball arenas?
    The worst seat in an arena is still better than 45% of the stadium seats, so I wouldn't at all say stadiums are better. But I'm sure the audience size does compel the band to work even harder, so maybe it does crank up the performance more than arenas?
  • Options
    Baseball stadiums are not great for concerts. If you are not one of the lucky few in the first 30 rows on the turf, you are a mile from the stage and watching either the video screens or tiny dots on the stage.

As the stadium seats get to the outfield, the field widens dramatically, so even outfield seats near the field are far away.

I've been to PJ arena shows where the building is literally rocking off it's foundation. I've yet to experience that at a stadium show.
  • Options
    I love a lot of music/bands. The only 2 that I travel to see are PJ and the Jacket.

The reason is, I know the show will be great, regardless of the set list. If I thought for one second I might not like the set list, I wouldn't bother traveling to see a band.

PJ is getting older as we all are, and retirement may not be that far off for them. They have slowed down dramatically the last four to five years.

Since they most likely will not be back on stage on the east coast before next summer, these two Boston shows are the only opportunity to see the band on the east coast over a three year period. We do not have the luxury of waiting for the perfect location to see them.

Every second they spend playing someone else's tune is a second I'll be wishing for a Pearl Jam tune.
  • Options
    wobbler_kittywobbler_kitty Millbury, MA Posts: 161
    JH6056 said:
    The worst seat in an arena is still better than 45% of the stadium seats, so I wouldn't at all say stadiums are better. But I'm sure the audience size does compel the band to work even harder, so maybe it does crank up the performance more than arenas?

I’d say this is pretty accurate.

They seem to appreciate the audience size and their connection to the stadiums they play. The home shows and Missoula obviously have genuine connections, we know Ed loves Wrigley for obvious reasons, and he seems to feel about the same for Fenway. Even though most of the place is basically watching the show from the screens, PJ sounds far better than other bands in outdoor venues and there’s this sort of magic to being with 40-50+k others who share the same love for them. They definitely feed off that.

They are getting older and seemingly touring less, so I feel there’s extra energy and effort for these stadium shows. Yeah a lot of the seats can suck, but most are truly appreciative to be there and give that energy right back to the band.

Go to both, OP. I really think you’ll regret it if you don’t.
  • Options
    ^ MSG with rearviewseatting can hold about 20,000 fans. The Fenway shows will have about 36,000

It's more but not like a mega huge difference, considering every seat in a baseball stadium is a mile from the CF stage

Baseball outfields are incredibly vast, nearly 400 feet from pole to pole. So every fan in a stadium seat is more than 200 feet from the band.

Compare that with an arena show, the majority of fans are within 200 feet or less
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427

PJ is getting older as we all are, and retirement may not be that far off for them. They have slowed down dramatically the last four to five years.

Since they most likely will not be back on stage on the east coast before next summer, these two Boston shows are the only opportunity to see the band on the east coast over a three year period. We do not have the luxury of waiting for the perfect location to see them.

Every second they spend playing someone else's tune is a second I'll be wishing for a Pearl Jam tune.
    You're so funny!  You keep complaining about the covers... you don't seem to realize that a band that has been touring for 28 yrs can get BORED with playing only their own songs night after night.  I don't know if you were at Seattle 2 or not, but I guarantee you that part of the reason the energy and the performances were OFF THE CHAIN are because the setlist was FUN for them to play!  The covers were amazing, and that energy breathes new life into their versions of their own songs.  It's almost like you'd be fine with them phoning it in if they're original songs... Not that they'd phone it in, they'd probably just play 4 shows every 4 years so it doesn't get old.

You have every right to hate covers, but do believe: covers are part of what is keeping the magic in the shows and keeping them on their toes (and new original music even more so).  So complain away, but most of us love at least some of the covers, and ALL OF US love epic shows!  Covers are our friend.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Is she gonna divorce you if you go to both nights?  Highly doubtful.  Do both nights and sleep on the couch for a couple days if you have to.  It'll be worth it.
  • Options
    Seattle 2 2018 and Fenway 2 2016 are two of the best show I have ever seen by any band at any venue. Hard to explain unless you were there. Being close does not matter. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    PJNB said:
    Seattle 2 2018 and Fenway 2 2016 are two of the best show I have ever seen by any band at any venue. Hard to explain unless you were there. Being close does not matter. 

• Options
    Just realized I can't transfer both of my 10 club seats for night 2 Fenway. Not a $$$ thing, but would like to pass the tickets on to ppl who are looking to attend the show. That's pretty stupid. I am pretty sure there are ppl who got shutout on the lottery who would gladly take my night 2 tickets if they could
  • Options
    DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 598
    PJNB said:
    Go to BOTH if at all possible. I can’t comment on Fenway 2 however I’ll believe the great number including PJNB who say it was fantastic. We were at Seattle 2 and it was incredible. Show 18 for us.Honestly I was disappointed about the size of Safeco and I’d not been to a ball park show. Honestly I thought about passing, dissapointed the shows weren’t in Key Arena size venues. What a mistake that would have been. You can’t overstate how awesome being outside is, three times as many mostly awesome fans, the sound was fantastic and the screens do a good job and I’d take some binoculars if you like to zero right in on the band.
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    I think PJ needs to reverse the trend where Night 2 is the one for the ages. Night 1! Night 1! And yes that is the only one I can make :)