Louis CK accused of sexual misconduct

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I like this opinion piece the best so far.

Let's be honest about Aziz Ansari

If we reflexively guillotine every imperfect ally like Aziz Ansari without finding out his side of the story, we will have no allies left. There is a whole spectrum between a bumbling, clueless lover and alleged predators like Weinstein and Trump. If your date is being creepy, let him know, get out of Dodge, and be sure you teach your sons better one day.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/17/opinions/lets-be-honest-about-aziz-ansari-brawley/index.html
  • dignin said:

If we reflexively guillotine every imperfect ally like Aziz Ansari without finding out his side of the story, we will have no allies left. There is a whole spectrum between a bumbling, clueless lover and alleged predators like Weinstein and Trump. If your date is being creepy, let him know, get out of Dodge, and be sure you teach your sons better one day.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/17/opinions/lets-be-honest-about-aziz-ansari-brawley/index.html
    Sounds like Chapelles "we need the imperfect men too" routine from his latest special. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,421
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    dignin said:

Sounds like Chapelles "we need the imperfect men too" routine from his latest special. 
    Yeah, she mentions him in the article.
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    dignin said:

That was very good.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    noticed at least a few of Louis's specials are on Netflix Canada. Interesting. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    noticed at least a few of Louis's specials are on Netflix Canada. Interesting. 
    Yeah, I watched them. They were funny.
    I don't sense people are particularly anxious to boycott him for life. Yeah, he acted like a perv, but I doubt the majority consider it unforgivable behaviour (unlike that of some others), especially not since he completely acknowledged what he did and explained accurately why it was so wrong. I think he'll manage to gain his career back one of these days.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I love his comedy. his earlier specials were better, but I still roar with laughter. while what he did was wrong and pretty gross, I agree he'll recover at some point. 

I'm kind of surprised there's no "outrage" over Netflix putting his specials back on, though. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I love his comedy. his earlier specials were better, but I still roar with laughter. while what he did was wrong and pretty gross, I agree he'll recover at some point. 

I'm kind of surprised there's no "outrage" over Netflix putting his specials back on, though. 
    I feel like the general public went through a period of pure hysteria, and then finally realized what they probably should have realized before they became hysterical: you can't boycott every fucking thing connected to an objectionable event because we would all quickly run out of material, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

did they ever take them down? I remember they cancelled current in production work, but I seem to recall a mild blip related to that previous content remaining.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

did they ever take them down? I remember they cancelled current in production work, but I seem to recall a mild blip related to that previous content remaining.
    I'm not really sure if they did or not. I occasionally check my "watch it again" list, and I think they were gone for a while, but I can't be sure. Maybe it was just Netflix US that took them down. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited April 2018
    mickeyrat said:

I don't think they ever removed anything. And they certainly didn't remove House of Cards either. Thank goodness. I would be extremely disappointed in Netflix if they started censoring shows based on the behaviour of actors. That would just be a simpleton's reaction.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:

I don't think they ever removed anything. And they certainly didn't remove House of Cards either. Thank goodness. I would be extremely disappointed in Netflix if they started censoring shows based on the behaviour of actors. That would just be a simpleton's reaction.
    I would be inclined to agree. sure, fire the guy, but I think it's weird to just try to erase all their past work. it only hurts the people they worked with in the long run. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so he did a surprise gig at a comedy club the other day, and people are actually equating his appearance with his sexual misconduct, saying that him showing up gave the audience no choice but to watch him. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so he did a surprise gig at a comedy club the other day, and people are actually equating his appearance with his sexual misconduct, saying that him showing up gave the audience no choice but to watch him. 
    Idiots.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    That's pretty funny, actually.

Did he jack off in front of them or were they tied down to their chairs?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    dignin said:
    Idiots.
    had he announced it ahead of time, it would have been seen as a cash grab. what is also a part of this "controversy" is that apparently only the elite (male, white) comedians can just show up at these famous comedy clubs and do a surprise show, which just apparently goes to show that he is still using his influence for his own personal gain, therefore meaning he has "learned nothing" and "not grown". they are also claiming that 11 months away was not enough, since his statement last November stated he would be away for a while, listening and not talking. 

thoughts?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Using his influence to get better gigs or special time slotting/etc?  When is that bad?  (My thoughts...)

Using his influence to make other people endure watching him jackoff, that is another story altogether.

The people that make up the general population will tell us if he has been away long enough.  If people don't support him, he will fade away.  Personally, I think he is a dumbass for his bullshit but I think he is hilarious.  I also draw a pretty thick line between making someone watch and someone do...although what he did was clearly not cool. 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Using his influence to get better gigs or special time slotting/etc?  When is that bad?  (My thoughts...)

Using his influence to make other people endure watching him jackoff, that is another story altogether.

The people that make up the general population will tell us if he has been away long enough.  If people don't support him, he will fade away.  Personally, I think he is a dumbass for his bullshit but I think he is hilarious.  I also draw a pretty thick line between making someone watch and someone do...although what he did was clearly not cool. 

I think the point is, though, that he used his power as a producer and highly influential megastar that made these women feel like they had no choice but to let him do what he wanted without consequence. it's not just the act itself (but of course that's part of it), it's the power he used to commit it and get away with it (for so long). 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I think the point is, though, that he used his power as a producer and highly influential megastar that made these women feel like they had no choice but to let him do what he wanted without consequence. it's not just the act itself (but of course that's part of it), it's the power he used to commit it and get away with it (for so long). 
    no,  thought all that happened long ago before he rose to that level.

mickeyrat said:

from his own statement:

His statement admitted to behavior that he initially thought "was O.K. because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first," and went on to express remorse for abusing his power in the industry "which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried."

admittedly, I didn't know of him until much later, but he may very well have been very well known in the comedy insdustry itself. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mickeyrat said:

from his own statement:

His statement admitted to behavior that he initially thought "was O.K. because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first," and went on to express remorse for abusing his power in the industry "which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried."

admittedly, I didn't know of him until much later, but he may very well have been very well known in the comedy insdustry itself. 
    this was all before he got his first show on fx.

now it was still a dick move, pun intended. one ripe for deserved ridicule.

edited August 2018
    dignin said:
    Idiots.
    had he announced it ahead of time, it would have been seen as a cash grab. what is also a part of this "controversy" is that apparently only the elite (male, white) comedians can just show up at these famous comedy clubs and do a surprise show, which just apparently goes to show that he is still using his influence for his own personal gain, therefore meaning he has "learned nothing" and "not grown". they are also claiming that 11 months away was not enough, since his statement last November stated he would be away for a while, listening and not talking. 

thoughts?

I would like to see proof that only male, white comedians show up to these venues like this...
    I personally see nothing wrong with him doing this at all. I'm not sure what people expect him to do other than use his influence to try and rebuild his career, and I don't know why it suggests to you that he hasn't learned anything or hasn't grown. He did completely come clean, acknowledged exactly why what he did was so wrong, made it clear that he fully understood why it had such a negative impact on the women, and he apologized. What more do people want I wonder? I have to assume they just want him to drop his career forever, period. Well, that isn't realistic, nor fair in this case, IMHO. But they have an option: don't watch him. I'm thinking Louis C.K. can still have enough fans after all this to have a solid career, even with a boycott by people who will never forgive him. I think where his actions really hurt him is with the TV production stuff... I'm not sure he can get any broadcaster to support more of those great shows he makes. But you never know. Others have come back from way worse I guess.
    HFD and dignin, yes, people equating the appearance to his misconduct is totally idiotic.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    Idiots.

thoughts?

I would like to see proof that only male, white comedians show up to these venues like this...
    I personally see nothing wrong with him doing this at all. I'm not sure what people expect him to do other than use his influence to try and rebuild his career, and I don't know why it suggests to you that he hasn't learned anything or hasn't grown. He did completely come clean, acknowledged exactly why what he did was so wrong, made it clear that he fully understood why it had such a negative impact on the women, and he apologized. What more do people want I wonder? I have to assume they just want him to drop his career forever, period. Well, that isn't realistic, nor fair in this case, IMHO. But they have an option - don't watch him.
    HFD and dignin, yes, people equating the appearance to his misconduct is totally idiotic.
    ok, I probably shouldn't have said white, because in comedy, there are plenty of black men of significant power/influence. But you generally don't get to do that unless you have significant influence in the industry. the vast majority of are male. 

it didn't suggest to ME he hasn't grown or learned anything. That was an opinion I read. hence the quotation marks. 

On first glance, I personally found zero wrong with him doing this. If people were offended, they easily could have walked out. However, many times in situations like this, it is in my best interest to listen to a few viewpoints prior to forming my own opinion. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    Idiots.

thoughts?

I personally see nothing wrong with him doing this at all. I'm not sure what people expect him to do other than use his influence to try and rebuild his career, and I don't know why it suggests to you that he hasn't learned anything or hasn't grown. He did completely come clean, acknowledged exactly why what he did was so wrong, made it clear that he fully understood why it had such a negative impact on the women, and he apologized. What more do people want I wonder? I have to assume they just want him to drop his career forever, period. Well, that isn't realistic, nor fair in this case, IMHO. But they have an option - don't watch him.
    ok, I probably shouldn't have said white, because in comedy, there are plenty of black men of significant power/influence. But you generally don't get to do that unless you have significant influence in the industry. the vast majority of are male. 

it didn't suggest to ME he hasn't grown or learned anything. That was an opinion I read. hence the quotation marks. 

On first glance, I personally found zero wrong with him doing this. If people were offended, they easily could have walked out. However, many times in situations like this, it is in my best interest to listen to a few viewpoints prior to forming my own opinion. 
    I know man. I realized that you were repeating the opinions of others. It occurred to me that you would come back and say I was applying it to you, and actually went out of my way to use wording that made it clear that I wasn't, but I guess I didn't try hard enough, lol.
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    Idiots.

thoughts?

I know man. I realized that you were repeating the opinions of others. It occurred to me that you would come back and say I was applying it to you, and actually went out of my way to use wording that made it clear that I wasn't, but I guess I didn't try hard enough, lol.
     "and I don't know why it suggests to you that he hasn't learned anything or hasn't grown" is why I thought you were attributing that to me. no biggie. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    Idiots.

thoughts?

"and I don't know why it suggests to you that he hasn't learned anything or hasn't grown" is why I thought you were attributing that to me. no biggie. 
    Whoops, I meant that as the royal you, but I should have said "anyone". As I said, I didn't try hard enough, lol.... I thought at least my last sentence would have made it obvious, but it didn't.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    dignin said:
    Idiots.

thoughts?

How much "personal gain" can he expect performing in front of 100 patrons for 15 minutes on a Sunday night?

He was probably trying to resume his craft with as little fanfare as possible.

Had he announced his first public performance beforehand he'd get accused of creating a media storm to draw attention to his comeback
    dignin said:
    Idiots.

thoughts?

How much "personal gain" can he expect performing in front of 100 patrons for 15 minutes on a Sunday night?

He was probably trying to resume his craft with as little fanfare as possible.

Had he announced his first public performance beforehand he'd get accused of creating a media storm to draw attention to his comeback
    the personal gain comment, I believe, comes from the idea that he is using his influence and power to resume his career. not just anyone can walk up to a famous comedy club and do a set. 

I agree with everything you wrote. 

this is something that many comedians do to feel out new material in front of an unsuspecting crowd, instead of all the hangers on and yes men they can sometimes get caught up with that laugh at everything they say. so it was a logical step for him to take in my opinion. 

I'm not sure how much time the "outrage public" thinks he should have gone away for. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    The only negative I can see is if people bought tickets and wanted to see other comedians performing after LCK, so didn’t  want to walk out and miss the later performers. Beyond that, you’re sure not held prisoner in a theatre. 

Otherwise, I agree with what’s been said above. A test-the-waters return with no fanfare was the only reasonable way to do it. 

And sure, some will say he doesn’t deserve to ever come back. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf