My story dealing with several horrible entitled “railbirds” in GA at Wrigley 2

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Still surprised that a handful of bad apples = take GA away completely. Besides the craziness with the camping and the elitism up at the front GA is a great opportunity for all fans to get a chance at being close to see their favourite band. The 1,2,9,10 lottery is great but not enough for most since the chance is very slim that they hit it. 

Saying that I would of liked to use Fenway 1 reserved seating as an argument against reserved since they were very tame and had very little energy when compared to past shows that I had seen up at the front. Then night 2 came and had one of the best crowd that I have been apart.

I have a high number so I am obviously bias against reserved up front but you can also say the same with all you old farts looking to get reserved back with your low numbers. I will be watching closely from the noisebleeds at both Fenway shows this year. You better bring it fuckers!
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    edited August 2018
    How the hell do you decide who is first in line if its an 8am start?!? The logistiscs of this make no sense. Do you just lurk as close as possible as to where you think the line is going to be? The huge problem is no one knows where the unofficial queues are meant to be or even when there is no line up times where the actual queue to the GA is. PJ could do with making some signs but how early they put up the signs before the show is another matter haha.

TBH even on the rail every show I see people with 0 energy so I'm not sure the GA thing brings more energy, just more ticket sales. This goes for America who in recent times now have GA and European shows who have always had it.

That Tarp thing is mental!!! not very efficient use of space. Are there like tarp turf wars that ensue? 

Good posts by 100 pacer, PJNB and dirtyfrankbeans.

I've known the Australian group for a few years having gone to a lot of the same shows and they have always been pleasant and nice people and also others in 'their crew' like the couple from the UK. I've never queued up with them so I don't know what 'in' systems they may have or whatever but from the outside seem like good people. We all know people's mentality changes when it comes to getting to rail, getting a tambourine etc but they don't strike me as twats. By the way they may have had the Canadian flag because they sometimes queue with a Canadian or two. Also it's hard to judge the tone they spoke to you in but Aussies like the Brits don't mind a swear word or two..
    Post edited by Brisk. on
  • blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    my2hands said:

some of you folks are nuts lol

meanwhile, my fat ass is relaxing side stage reserved with easy access to a concession stand and bathroom, que even flow!

it's a concert, not a survival event!

+1000000
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    it's a concert, not a survival event!
    I think trying to understand it might be for others could be helpful. Doesn't excuse bad behavior, but might help answer question of why do people do this.

www.cluthelee.com
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited August 2018
    I witnessed a couple of conflicts far back in the GA area on Monday. First, the jockeying for positioning during the delay and mad rush on slick ground was a bit dangerous.  We had someone pass out or something and require medical help near us.  I saw a couple of conflicts over space and other shit.  At one point a large man was holding some sort of pass physically pushing through people.  He stopped at my wife and looked at her, almost an inspection, and moved on when I made it clear I was with her and alert. 
    There was definitely a somewhat ugly vibe in the GA area that we didn't experience in "fan verified" seats in night 1 (section 202) where everyone around us was so cool.  We had large football player-build people offer to swap places with us so we can see better.  A large man kept bumping into me, and right when I was having thoughts my neighbor was a jerk, he apologized to me and said he would try to not do that.  After that I didn't mind the bumping.  Nobody had cell phones out (while in GA it was a video and selfie jizz-fest.)  
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Didn't read through all 14 pages to see if the situation was discussed but further to the right on Stone's side the same thing happened.  There was a complete jerk who was dressed like he was about to play in a cubs game (jersey "vedder", hat, wristbands) and probably even had on a VEDDER cup. 

He came up 3 minutes after we hit the rail and started verbally attacking the guy who had his spot before. Showing pictures of where he was, questioned what time he got there that AM, and then in a classy move asked the guy if he even knew how to spell "courtesy". It was a real turnoff to see what complete assholes some fans can be to others and it turns into a dick measuring contest. The guy on the rail couldn't have been nicer but didn't move and cant blame him. He got soaked during the delay like myself and sorry we were there in '13 and knew how it would work. We also were smart enough not to get in line 2 days ahead knowing a delay could happen or you could come in when the gates open and still get 4-5 deep. 

But, hey a grown man wearing a full EDDIE uniform will do a lot to get a wink from Eddie. It's really sad how some "diehards" really think they are better when it comes to PJ and spelling.

Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • This rail sickness occurs with every band.  And one reason why reserved is the way I go now.  Not worth the trouble.
      Section 137 on the first base side.  Everyone was so ... happy.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    edited August 2018
    Ever since Crazy Mary, the guy has made spelling a priority. 
  • blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    I get the GA thing and liking to be close.  It is frustrating for the newer members as they are usually set back a ways in the seated method.    But perhaps 10c could do more of an alternation of every other row being senior and every other row being newer.  This way they get a mix of new and old and it honestly wouldn't change much for the older members seated back aways now.  

I am older and have seen them close many times when younger.  A busy life with a career that is demanding with travel and your time will change your priorities of sitting on concrete for days just to be close.  I never ever camped or sat in line more than 3 hours to get close either.  It was usually the venue taking care of that stuff and the shows were in college towns where kids had classes.  Never thought of it much.  I find the sound best back a ways as well as seeing the whole band/production more easily.  But seated I got getting a little put off being set back just because I wasn't a club member every year (they didn't come back to MSP for so long I just dropped out....and honestly forgot other years).  So alternating seems like a good idea or the Springsteen method if GA is to stay.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Ever since Crazy Mary, the guy has made spelling a priority. 
    ha! 

Couldn't believe it when a 50 year old man tried to cut another fan down asking if he even knew how to spell something. 
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I'm glad I don't and won't ever give a flying fuck about "the rail."
  • WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 492
    I got on the floor 20min before the band came out at missoula. 3 deep on mikes side with room around me. waiting in line all day for anything is borderline psychotic. 
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    PJ_Soul said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    I was in the GA on Saturday night.  Found a good spot center stage like 50' back, which is where I usually go.

I am like 5'8".  Some guy that was easily 6'2" or 6'3" walks right....RIGHT....in front of me and just parks it there.

I tap him on the shoulder and ask him to please move a little to the side, or just swap positions with me, and all he does is look down and say "No."

I'm not a violent person and I am certainly not about to get kicked out of the pit before a PJ show, but I was very close to leaning back and punching him in the fucking face.

95% of the PJ community are amazing people, but man, that other 5% can seriously choke on [crude comment removed by Admin]
    Couldn't you move a little to the side yourself? I'm not saying he was being reasonable, but you know... seems like an easy solution for you there.
    As for swapping with shorter people... I get why tall people will say no to that. I am tall myself (for a woman), and I have let short people behind me go in front of me before quite happily, but where does it end? One person is no big deal... but then the next person can ask, and the next... and suddenly someone who lets shorter people go in front of them has moved way back in the pit, lol. I think I can understand if some people, especially guys who would be experiencing these kinds of requests a lot, would just stop doing it altogether. Sucks to be shorter in the pit I'm sure - I've had crazy tall guys standing right in front of me lots of times, and it blows - but I don't see why tall people should actually be expected to sacrifice anything if they don't want to. When someone really tall is in front of me I just move somewhere else.
    It's hard to "move a little to the side yourself" when GA is already crowded. Besides, I'm 5' 6" and I'm not giving up the position I arrived at very comfortably because some giant is parking themselves right in front of me five minutes before the band come on stage or even half way through the gig. It happened so much in Europe and it happened to be a bunch of drunk ignorants.

In regards to Wrigley, I'd personally rather do reserved seating than GA, but this time I thought I'd do one standing show for Wrigley. I enjoyed it, the rain delay probably worked in my favour a bit more, had a great view and everyone around me was very considerate in relation to space. GA didn't look overly full during N2, it looked cramped from where I was sitting in N1.

jdopj said:
    PJNB said:
    Wow lots of hateful and nasty posts here today. Thought we were better than this to be honest. 
    You are underestimating the shit show GA has become. What being a fan of PJ has become. It’s disappointing.

Also, this. I don't think anyone is necessarily being hateful or nasty, just expressing the truth about what GA has become.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • HawkeyeJamHawkeyeJam Posts: 209
    Self Awareness is key. I'm 6'1 215 lbs. Because of this I can see pretty clearly from my vantage point in the PIT. Don't understand those of my stature that can't be courteous. I watch out for those around me so they get a view. Don't try to bully my way for extra space. These pits aren't that big.

Honestly, stop with the tambourines and picks. Or maybe have a raffle system based off GA seat # of who gets them. The merch craze has so many people being up front for a chance. GA for the Wrigley's shows were.my first shot. The people that tried to push their way to the front were in the encores..
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    These "unofficial" queues are HILARIOUS. How sad.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Brisk. said:
    How the hell do you decide who is first in line if its an 8am start?!? The logistiscs of this make no sense. Do you just lurk as close as possible as to where you think the line is going to be? The huge problem is no one knows where the unofficial queues are meant to be or even when there is no line up times where the actual queue to the GA is. PJ could do with making some signs but how early they put up the signs before the show is another matter haha.

TBH even on the rail every show I see people with 0 energy so I'm not sure the GA thing brings more energy, just more ticket sales. This goes for America who in recent times now have GA and European shows who have always had it.

That Tarp thing is mental!!! not very efficient use of space. Are there like tarp turf wars that ensue? 

Good posts by 100 pacer, PJNB and dirtyfrankbeans.

I've known the Australian group for a few years having gone to a lot of the same shows and they have always been pleasant and nice people and also others in 'their crew' like the couple from the UK. I've never queued up with them so I don't know what 'in' systems they may have or whatever but from the outside seem like good people. We all know people's mentality changes when it comes to getting to rail, getting a tambourine etc but they don't strike me as twats. By the way they may have had the Canadian flag because they sometimes queue with a Canadian or two. Also it's hard to judge the tone they spoke to you in but Aussies like the Brits don't mind a swear word or two..

It is very simple.  Have a lottery at 8am.  Or better yet, 11:00am.  You don't have people sleeping on the streets.  You don't have security issues two days before the show.  Pearl Jam was ahead of the curve in a lot of ways but also stuck in their ways with a lot of things. 
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    edited August 2018
    I know that Ed reads the boards (he has played 3 of my requests in the last 5 years & referred to specifics that were made during those requests), I wonder what he is thinking reading all these horror stories? When you are up on stage kicking ass & taking names & are fully committed to giving the best performance you can, you are going to miss 99% of what goes on, so I am sure to a certain extent the band has been insulated from a lot of the ugliness.
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    I'm always go to GA and I'll always will, best way to see the band live. Along with Alot of friend at the spot u choose to spent the night. ... Plus most Rockin vibe and energy.. 
    Im hanging around with Alot of friends  if I have to limited it, we are like a group of 40 people or so..,mostly north Americans, a couple Canadians, a few Europeans and South Americans. And some goes to all shows, some to many shows. Some to a couple so let's say every night we are around 20 of us . We always go to the back of GA. When there is a 10c box like in Wrigley we go in the back of box.. If it's an open GA for all with just early entrance for 10c members we go to the back if the floor in front of sound booth.. Except the fact we are all together and travelers so it's good to have your people with u we rock out having space for dance, move, go to toilet , go get a drink and come back easily.. We love it.. The sound is always the best at that spot and we have NO DRAMA.. We have the best time.. I got the rail a few times, got tambourine and wine and handshake with Eddie and all times at side rail.. At big venues and stadium Alot don't go to side rail and even if u go late u can get side rail as happen to me. And all this happens with no stress, not waiting in any line just walk in and side rail was empty... I have tons of people I know and friends they do the rail line up thing. They camp out of venue etc. I usually go the night before or before early entrance the day of the  show to say hi to them cos it's the way to see them in your cos they don't go to preparties. Or dinners or to bars or sightseeing.. It's their thing.. More if them are cool.. And respect each other. Assholes are everywhere..And cutters. Sorry op had bad experience  of course Wrigley was a unique situation cos of delay and all evacuation of the GA area and re enter.. 
    I'm here for the music and enjoy life.  I feel this GA line up is too much extra pressure for me and I don't see the reason to do it. Same is merch line thing.. Welhen  I go on tour is my vacation. I want to enjoy.. I don't  need drama.. 
    And all the time looks who is in front of me or behind me.. For me all has to do with how selfish society has become. We want all for us. And don't care for others. Rail sometimes show that part of the society. 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    PJNB said:
    Still surprised that a handful of bad apples = take GA away completely. Besides the craziness with the camping and the elitism up at the front GA is a great opportunity for all fans to get a chance at being close to see their favourite band. The 1,2,9,10 lottery is great but not enough for most since the chance is very slim that they hit it. 

Saying that I would of liked to use Fenway 1 reserved seating as an argument against reserved since they were very tame and had very little energy when compared to past shows that I had seen up at the front. Then night 2 came and had one of the best crowd that I have been apart.

I have a high number so I am obviously bias against reserved up front but you can also say the same with all you old farts looking to get reserved back with your low numbers. I will be watching closely from the noisebleeds at both Fenway shows this year. You better bring it fuckers!
    I don't know. I don't have a good number. We tried GA as an experiment in Prague-Krakow-Berlin, and my husband and I agree that we are doing nothing but reserved henceforth.

We don't like waiting in lines for hours (or at all, really) We didn't enjoy sitting on the floor, waiting, in Prague. We had a decent spot in the pit in Prague, 8-10 "rows" back, and spent most of the show dealing with people trying to work their way up to the front.

In Krakow, by the time we arrived GA was full (I guess it was open to everyone?), so we ended up about 2/3 of the way back on the floor -- and, again, spent most of the show dealing with people trying to push in in front of us. The fact that I am not dry-humping the person in front of me is not an invitation to force yourself into those three inches of space.

In Berlin, after waiting in that absurd holding-pen area, we got decent seats (yay!). And then, just before the show began, latecomers decided to try to put three people into four inches of bench space, etc., shoving aside people who had been waiting for a few hours.

If there were only a handful of bad apples, I'd agree with you, but in our experience it looked like about forty percent of people in GA were being jerks. I enjoy the show more when I'm able to focus on the music instead of on not being knocked down or shoved aside by someone, so I'm sticking with reserved.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    edited August 2018
    My wife and I were in the GA line with the Aussies (and couple Canadians) in 2014.  We were about 15 deep from the front of the line.  Had a great time with them, they were all nice as anyone.  Inside we ended up on the rail in front of Stone and again had a blast during the show.  If someone wants to spend days in line to be on the rail at every show more power to them.   I realized Monday night I can go in the GA entrance without waiting outside in line all day and still have great spots, great views and a great time in GA.   People around me we top notch cool as shit....you're always going to get the few assholes that try pushing through.....that's GA. 
    1.  I think when 10C sets a rule about no lists, this includes early lines.  No matter what Wrigley security says.  It's still a unofficial list made up by a group of people to benefit themselves.   Those other people may have went to front of the line but they were following the rules of the email from the TEN CLUB.
    2.  GA has no assigned spots, period.  If everyone is moved out it's first come first serve when we're let back in.   Just don't be a dick about it....either group.   Exactly why I didn't get in line Monday knowing there was weather issues.  People waiting line rolled the dice and lost and then got pissed about it.   Life isn't fair....GA is GA.  Go back in and have a good time instead of ruining it for everyone else.  People yelling at everyone to go back to their original spots was hilarious.  And the douche canoe center stage a few rows back threatening to kick people asses was a joke.....I expect that attitude in the pit at a Metallica concert in 1994, but even then people gave each other space to move in and out.
    3.  I saw people on both sides of the issue being jack wagons about it.   
    4.  GA Forever!  Perfect example of a very few people that have a hard time dealing with not getting their way ruining it for everyone else.  If you don't like unassigned spots, request reserved.            
    Post edited by faithful2you on
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    So we could say the outside authority creating the 8:00 rule created the initial problem. If you let people camp right at the entry, then this would’ve been avoided, no? 
    Kind of, but the rail rats still saw fit to have a list going, so I would HOPE that anyone involved in a list (anyone whose name is on it) would be sent to the back of the line at some point before doors anyhow, which I suppose might create its own drama.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Vedd Hedd said:
    So, in order to get the rail...you not only need to be in line anywhere from 10-48 hours in advance, but also need to immediately run to the rail, and then spend the next 5-6 hours there without eating or going to the bathroom, all while elbowing out people who are trying to push up?

And if you DO move, you lose your spot?

Yeah, bring back the seats please.
    I just don't understand wanting to go back to seats just because of what maybe 100 people are doing out of thousands.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

have any of these "Aussies" responded to this thread? Or maybe they are only 10c members to get GA tickets & bully the GA line?
    Rail rats never speak up. They lurk.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Holy cow this thread got huge. 
    Reading through most of this I find some things funny.
    Railrats. I Had no idea they exist, or that it is the same people every time. I've honestly never paid any attention to who is up from in any of the dvd's or videos I've seen and had no idea this was even a thing.
    I also find it funny that so many make fun of being on the rail or getting a tambo/hi five. That would be freaking awesome to be that close, and getting something like that would be amazing. I'd frame the tambo with the poster right in my living room despite whatever objections my wife has about it being the focus of our decoration. But I wouldn't trade camping out for 2 days in a cool city I'm visiting just for a chance at this, that isnt worth it ( a flat out guarantee first 10 in line get rail and a tambo I'd be in thoogh). 
    But after I did it once I probably wouldn't have much motivation to do it again, so I don't get why people want to camp out for days every time. I wouldn't call them selfish as others did, if they want to give up their time every show them fine, they have no responsibility to "share" the rail if they are will to put in time for it.

As far as that crazy example for night 2 at wrigley. There's no line until 8 am, how could anyone cut? How could there be an official pre-line where people lined up when the "rules" clearly stated against it. Some random dude could have run up at 7:59 and I don't see what would have been wrong with that.

One thing I do know, this is just exactly why if I get GA again I'll be happy standing in the back.
    ascahn said:
    PJNB said:
    Is this narrative wrong on what happened?

- Night 1 ends and an unofficial line forms. Security moves them to a location that they are allowed to form the line and wait to be moved until 8:00am

- You guys show up, know that there is an unofficial line that was made long before you got there and you still push to get ahead of it knowing they camped out right after the show. 

- Security comes, does not give a shit and moves on

I have a couple of questions. If you knew that people were there way before you, 8:00am lineup time or not, why did you feel the need to get ahead of them? I would never have done that myself official line or not.  I am not defending them just find it ballsy to try and slip in like that. Yes 8:00am is the designated time but these people were moved to a section by security and told to wait there until they would all be moved to the official location. In the meantime you guys come in not waiting nearly as much as the others and take the front spot. I can understand how the other group would not be overjoyed by this but them using the list and confrontational attitude is ridiculous. I am not sure what 10 club thought would happen with the 8:00am but it seemed like they were ok with the unofficial line. Posting vids and pics on social media over this was unnecessary as well by them. To have your faces smeared on a page of over 60,000 people was not fair to you or your group. Fuck them for doing that. 

PJ_Soul said:
    PJNB said:
    Is this narrative wrong on what happened?

- Night 1 ends and an unofficial line forms. Security moves them to a location that they are allowed to form the line and wait to be moved until 8:00am

- You guys show up, know that there is an unofficial line that was made long before you got there and you still push to get ahead of it knowing they camped out right after the show. 

- Security comes, does not give a shit and moves on

I have a couple of questions. If you knew that people were there way before you, 8:00am lineup time or not, why did you feel the need to get ahead of them? I would never have done that myself official line or not.  I am not defending them just find it ballsy to try and slip in like that. Yes 8:00am is the designated time but these people were moved to a section by security and told to wait there until they would all be moved to the official location. In the meantime you guys come in not waiting nearly as much as the others and take the front spot. I can understand how the other group would not be overjoyed by this but them using the list and confrontational attitude is ridiculous. I am not sure what 10 club thought would happen with the 8:00am but it seemed like they were ok with the unofficial line. Posting vids and pics on social media over this was unnecessary as well by them. To have your faces smeared on a page of over 60,000 people was not fair to you or your group. Fuck them for doing that. 
    IMO, the second that group created a list, they lost their right to that spot in their illegitimate line, as per 10C rules. Technically, all of them should have been sent to the back of the line.
    We didn’t know for sure that they had a list until we actually saw them lining people up from the list in order. We had no list. We just got in line. There were four of us there to start and an additional person walked up and joined us.  The rules per Ten Club were clear to me in that all attempts to create a list or numbering system were prohibited. Now, it would be different if all Ten Club members were aware of their list and had an opportunity to be on it, but that wasn’t the case. They opened that opportunity to those that they chose. They offered the opportunity to be on their list to us, but we refused citing the Ten Club rule.  Also, I don’t believe security told them to go wait inside Murphy’s until a time that they would be moved, and that’s where many of them were. In addition, 8 vehicles arrive at 4:00 am and drop off numerous people carrying their gear for waiting all day. They were not in any kind of line, they just appeared and joined the others. 
    Yeah, good for you for refusing to be on the list. I have also refused to be on it and stood my ground before.... Of course that didn't stop about 100 people who were on the list but not in line from showing up 20 minutes before doors and going to the front of the line, and screaming at everyone further back that we had to move to make room from them. I was fucking pissed off about it, but there is only power in numbers, and unfortunately the listers intimidated most people through yelling and screaming and making false claims about security being prepared to not let anyone through the doors unless everyone moved back. Somehow this bullshit worked on way too many people, who kept their mouths shut and marched to these fuckheads' drums. I was livid about the whole scene, just out of principle, but nobody was willing to do anything about it. I couldn't believe how easy it was for random assholes to arbitrarily take control over the majority. You were just lucky you ended up ahead of these fucks instead of behind them. Being ahead of them and having that confirmed by security is the only way to beat them, apparently.
    I think the Springsteen method would help. Plus it would piss off the rail Nazis. And it could open the rial up to new people every show. Would not solve everything,  but it sounds like a winner. Will be fun if they implement this in 2019. 
    I would be incredible if 10C would do this.
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    edited August 2018
    I'm always go to GA and I'll always will, best way to see the band live. Along with Alot of friend at the spot u choose to spent the night. ... Plus most Rockin vibe and energy.. 
    Im hanging around with Alot of friends  if I have to limited it, we are like a group of 40 people or so..,mostly north Americans, a couple Canadians, a few Europeans and South Americans. And some goes to all shows, some to many shows. Some to a couple so let's say every night we are around 20 of us . We always go to the back of GA. When there is a 10c box like in Wrigley we go in the back of box.. If it's an open GA for all with just early entrance for 10c members we go to the back if the floor in front of sound booth.. Except the fact we are all together and travelers so it's good to have your people with u we rock out having space for dance, move, go to toilet , go get a drink and come back easily.. We love it.. The sound is always the best at that spot and we have NO DRAMA.. We have the best time.. I got the rail a few times, got tambourine and wine and handshake with Eddie and all times at side rail.. At big venues and stadium Alot don't go to side rail and even if u go late u can get side rail as happen to me. And all this happens with no stress, not waiting in any line just walk in and side rail was empty... I have tons of people I know and friends they do the rail line up thing. They camp out of venue etc. I usually go the night before or before early entrance the day of the  show to say hi to them cos it's the way to see them in your cos they don't go to preparties. Or dinners or to bars or sightseeing.. It's their thing.. More if them are cool.. And respect each other. Assholes are everywhere..And cutters. Sorry op had bad experience  of course Wrigley was a unique situation cos of delay and all evacuation of the GA area and re enter.. 
    I'm here for the music and enjoy life.  I feel this GA line up is too much extra pressure for me and I don't see the reason to do it. Same is merch line thing.. Welhen  I go on tour is my vacation. I want to enjoy.. I don't  need drama.. 
    And all the time looks who is in front of me or behind me.. For me all has to do with how selfish society has become. We want all for us. And don't care for others. Rail sometimes show that part of the society. 
    If everyone was as cool as Dimi, there'd never be any problems in GA, truth
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    I was in the GA on Saturday night.  Found a good spot center stage like 50' back, which is where I usually go.

I am like 5'8".  Some guy that was easily 6'2" or 6'3" walks right....RIGHT....in front of me and just parks it there.

I tap him on the shoulder and ask him to please move a little to the side, or just swap positions with me, and all he does is look down and say "No."

I'm not a violent person and I am certainly not about to get kicked out of the pit before a PJ show, but I was very close to leaning back and punching him in the fucking face.

95% of the PJ community are amazing people, but man, that other 5% can seriously choke on [crude comment removed by Admin]
    Couldn't you move a little to the side yourself? I'm not saying he was being reasonable, but you know... seems like an easy solution for you there.
    As for swapping with shorter people... I get why tall people will say no to that. I am tall myself (for a woman), and I have let short people behind me go in front of me before quite happily, but where does it end? One person is no big deal... but then the next person can ask, and the next... and suddenly someone who lets shorter people go in front of them has moved way back in the pit, lol. I think I can understand if some people, especially guys who would be experiencing these kinds of requests a lot, would just stop doing it altogether. Sucks to be shorter in the pit I'm sure - I've had crazy tall guys standing right in front of me lots of times, and it blows - but I don't see why tall people should actually be expected to sacrifice anything if they don't want to. When someone really tall is in front of me I just move somewhere else.
    It's hard to "move a little to the side yourself" when GA is already crowded. Besides, I'm 5' 6" and I'm not giving up the position I arrived at very comfortably because some giant is parking themselves right in front of me five minutes before the band come on stage or even half way through the gig. It happened so much in Europe and it happened to be a bunch of drunk ignorants.

In regards to Wrigley, I'd personally rather do reserved seating than GA, but this time I thought I'd do one standing show for Wrigley. I enjoyed it, the rain delay probably worked in my favour a bit more, had a great view and everyone around me was very considerate in relation to space. GA didn't look overly full during N2, it looked cramped from where I was sitting in N1.

If it's hard for the short person to move a little to the side, then it's probably going to be even harder for the tall person in front of the short person to move a little to the side.
    I dunno - GA is GA. I consider it a free for all, and if someone can find a path up to the front without physically displacing people, then I think that is completely fair game. Their height is irrelevant IMO. Having someone taller than you blocking your view is just the risk anyone takes when buying GA tickets... Or any tickets, for that matter. I've had monstrous people right in front of me in seats too, which is even worse, because you can't even move in that scenario. It's not like I'm asking taller people to switch seats with me so they can block the view of the person behind me instead of my own.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    PJNB said:
    By the sounds of things this is what happened. 

- Group 1 leaves show early to start new line after night 1
    - Group 1 is told to move to another area by security and are going to allow them to stay there until it is time to walk them up to the official line at 8:00am
    - Group 1 may or may not have used a list and may or may not have been in line the whole time 
    - Group 2 comes in 24 hours later on Sunday night and claims the 8:00am spot that security told group 1 they were not allowed to be at
    - There is no security to tell group 2 that they are not allowed to be there.
    - Group 1 tells group 2 about the other line already started and about security moving them
    - Group 2 does not care about the other line and keeps their spot
    - Some of Group 1 acts like a bunch of idiots bullying and posting on social media.
    - Rain comes pouring down and both groups get a much needed wash.
    Exactly what happen plus group 2 said to Australians u are not welcome to USA and respect Americans cos its their country. .Trump making america great  again
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    I know that Ed reads the boards (he has played 3 of my requests in the last 5 years & referred to specifics that were made during those requests), I wonder what he is thinking reading all these horror stories? When you are up on stage kicking ass & taking names & are fully committed to giving the best performance you can, you are going to miss 99% of what goes on, so I am sure to a certain extent the band has been insulated from a lot of the ugliness.
    I’m going to say with 99.9% certainty that Ed doesn’t read the boards. Someone else has pulled requests from here and forwarded them to Ed. 
This discussion has been closed.