Trade gone south...

TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va) Posts: 881
edited August 2018 in Lost Dogs
Let me start out by saying I didn't want to publicly post about this but I am being told by the user that they will publicly trash me so I felt the need to post before them. 

I entered into a trade with a user on here who seemed to be like an okay person but unfortunately things took a turn... I understand things happen in postage, I told him I did not blame him for any damage which happened from the post office however I told him that I want to send the items back and he is telling me I am trying to screw him over etc. He originally suggested that I wait and reuse his packing to ship my record to him,

[deleted]

I asked if he was sure he was comfortable with this and he never responded, I had no contact from him for days, not even knowing if he had shipped the items or confirming the trade until the items did arrive. 

The items arrived in a state I am not comfortable accepting and I have tried to calmly explain this to him and tell him that I want to return them to him but he is refusing to be sensible and telling me I am screwing him even though he said he is getting $50 from the post office from a claim on it. 

[deleted]

When I tried asking him why he didn’t use bubble wrap in the packaging and the answer he gave me was 

[deleted]

Again I didn’t want to have to do this I felt I needed to post in my defense before he did and I have left his username out for that reason, hopefully he wont post after all I just wanted to put this on the boards for others to see. I know I'm not crazy in being upset at this. 

Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I hope that you are able to get this sorted out.  Those photos are rough.  

Does it play?  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    You show post a name so we don’t deal with that person.  Shitty packaging is his fault, not yours.  What an a—hole!
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    Those emails are definitely troubling. I see that attitude a lot in the beer trading world. If someone gets called out on lack of communication or inadequate packing they carry on as if something that should take 2 minutes would require 2 hours. If you're that busy, don't trade junk on the internet. The system is based heavily on trust, so you need to be on the ball.
  • TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va) Posts: 881
    deadendp said:
    I hope that you are able to get this sorted out.  Those photos are rough.  

Does it play?  
    It was supposed to be new and sealed, it is a backspacer and it came in a bag not shrink wrapped. He insists it is how backspacer came sealed. I am confused however because there is wear on the spine and as you can see obvious scratching on the vinyl. I have never personally seen a sealed vinyl in a bag but I don't know...
    pjl44 said:
    Those emails are definitely troubling. I see that attitude a lot in the beer trading world. If someone gets called out on lack of communication or inadequate packing they carry on as if something that should take 2 minutes would require 2 hours. If you're that busy, don't trade junk on the internet. The system is based heavily on trust, so you need to be on the ball.
    I only posted a couple from the lengthy thread but yes I agree and his responses baffled me, I don't understand how he can rationally be mad at me when I didn't hear from him for 5 days and then all of a sudden this is what showed up. Anyone would contact the shipper after this.
    PP193448 said:
    You show post a name so we don’t deal with that person.  Shitty packaging is his fault, not yours.  What an a—hole!
    Like I said I didn't want to resort to this but...

mlrega

he says its all the post offices fault and I am trying to screw him as you can see by some of the messages I shared. He is telling me I am the worst trader etc and that he still expects my end of the deal which is a rare beatles vinyl, so in my eyes if I sent my vinyl (which I only didn't because he told me to wait and reuse his box like you can see above + I didn't know he sent his) I would feel like I got the shaft in this deal naturally. But he is insisting that this is me screwing him and I am the worst trader on here because of it. 

I think I'm just being rational in a situation that was created by him. He didn't tell me he shipped his so I didn't know to ship mine, I cannot be held accountable for that.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    If he is getting $50 from the claim then he is whole.  He shouldn't expect to get $50 plus your record.

It is unfortunate because 99 times out of 100 it would have arrived undamaged.  I do wonder about the "sealed" backspacer....that sounds kind of, not right.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    You need to get insurance when you ship and bake that into the shipping costs.  I sent some posters for a $200 value recently and think I paid an addition $3.25 or something to increase the insurance coverage from the USPS standard of $50 to $200.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited August 2018
    If he is getting $50 from the claim then he is whole.  He shouldn't expect to get $50 plus your record.

It is unfortunate because 99 times out of 100 it would have arrived undamaged.  I do wonder about the "sealed" backspacer....that sounds kind of, not right.
    He thinks that a $50 claim isn't enough to make things right apparently, he wants my record and to send me the $50, but my record is worth more than that so I told him to keep the claim and that I would send him his records back (which I told him I am doing today and haven't heard anything) and thats what initiated him saying he was going to "out me for screwing him over" 

This is the bag the backspacer came in...it had a dotted tear line at the top, to me it looks like a reseal bag.

He told me that is how Pearl Jam records come, any PJ record I have seen or own that was factory sealed was shrink wrapped. Even if that was the case though (which I did tell him) it does not address the deep scratches, fingerprints, and wearing on the spine. Apart from the scratches the actual backspacer letters on the spine are worn down. 
    Post edited by TFlyer on
  • ShakesckyShakescky Posts: 342
    I have seen Backspacer issued in this type of tear away bag and being sold as brand-new in record stores. I do feel though you are right in regards to the wear and tear to the album itself provided it isn't something that happened during production of the product.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    If anything is sent back it should only be his record

The trade is a no-go.  Good for the other party that he can get insurance money but man that vinyl needs bubblewrap.  Ive seen companies send non-gatefolds in very tight mailers but you’re inviting trouble with no bubble wrap.  
  • ShakesckyShakescky Posts: 342

The trade is a no-go.  Good for the other party that he can get insurance money but man that vinyl needs bubblewrap.  Ive seen companies send non-gatefolds in very tight mailers but you’re inviting trouble with no bubble wrap.  
    I strongly agree.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    Shakescky said:
    I have seen Backspacer issued in this type of tear away bag and being sold as brand-new in record stores. I do feel though you are right in regards to the wear and tear to the album itself provided it isn't something that happened during production of the product.
    I think my BS copy from the 10c came in one of these bags. Maybe PJ20, Ukulele too. 
    Kearnsy

I don't understand why he got mad at me for asking why he didn't use bubble wrap especially after he was so adamant I send it a certain way that he told me to wait and REUSE his mailer...

I even specifically told him my mailman was notorious for being rough on packages and that I was double bubble wrapping my vinyl for him but he still packaged his this way? I don't know but it seems like even if it made it without damage to the package the vinyls didn't have any real padding so they would've still been damaged upon arrival...
    Kearn5y said:
    Shakescky said:
    I think my BS copy from the 10c came in one of these bags. Maybe PJ20, Ukulele too. 
    It's very possible that this is a type of packaging I haven't seen, I have admitted that. But it doesn't answer how there is damage to the record. I don't know it seems odd to me, it looks like it was used....I just doubt that something with deep scratches and fingerprints as well as spine wear, wasn't opened. If that isn't the case than there was a horrible factory error. However that's just one small part of this really. :disappointed:
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    TFlyer said:
    Kearn5y said:
    Shakescky said:
    It's very possible that this is a type of packaging I haven't seen, I have admitted that. But it doesn't answer how there is damage to the record. I don't know it seems odd to me, it looks like it was used....I just doubt that something with deep scratches and fingerprints as well as spine wear, wasn't opened. If that isn't the case than there was a horrible factory error. However that's just one small part of this really. :disappointed:
    Sorry wasnt disputing the wear and tear part of your comment. 
    Kearnsy
    Kearn5y said:
    TFlyer said:
    Kearn5y said:
    Shakescky said:
    Sorry wasnt disputing the wear and tear part of your comment. 
    It's fine I understood what you meant, I am just confused by the whole aspect of it. I actually posted photos of it on facebook and people told me they thought it was resealed. I don't know I have never seen a PJ record in a baggy like that, the one's I've bought new came shrink-wrapped and the wear on it seriously disappointed me. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    edited August 2018
    TFlyer said:

He thinks that a $50 claim isn't enough to make things right apparently, he wants my record and to send me the $50, but my record is worth more than that so I told him to keep the claim and that I would send him his records back (which I told him I am doing today and haven't heard anything) and thats what initiated him saying he was going to "out me for screwing him over" 

This is the bag the backspacer came in...it had a dotted tear line at the top, to me it looks like a reseal bag.

He told me that is how Pearl Jam records come, any PJ record I have seen or own that was factory sealed was shrink wrapped. Even if that was the case though (which I did tell him) it does not address the deep scratches, fingerprints, and wearing on the spine. Apart from the scratches the actual backspacer letters on the spine are worn down. 
    I would say that you are in the right....he sent you shit and will get $50 for it.  Both of you win.

Plus...if it was worth more than $50 he should have paid the extra $1 to insure it for more.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • hepcatpunkhepcatpunk Posts: 174
    I bought BS at B&N and it came in a bag.  Record sure wasn't scratched like yours though.  
    TFlyer said:

I would say that you are in the right....he sent you shit and will get $50 for it.  Both of you win.

Plus...if it was worth more than $50 he should have paid the extra $1 to insure it for more.
    I don't believe I am in the wrong at all, and I am glad you all see it that way as well. 

Considering it had a coke ten in it, and the coke ten is the item that is picture with the top of the sleeve destroyed I'd say yes he should've paid the extra $1 to insure it for more. But at this point he will be getting it back in the condition I received it in so it is up to him what he wants to do with it. 

I bought BS at B&N and it came in a bag.  Record sure wasn't scratched like yours though.  
    Yeah...like I said something just doesn't add up with it, I had never seen a record come new in a bag like that so I assumed it was a reseal bag because of the condition. I am just repeating myself at this point though so I don't know what else to say on that subject. It doesn't make sense.... :i_dunno:
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    Backspacer came in a bag seal. This was standard.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    Mine came in a bag also the white vinyl 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Backspacer came in a bag seal. This was standard.
    Mine came in a bag also the white vinyl 
    Yeah people keep saying that so this is the last time I will say I understand that it's very possible it's just something I've never seen before but that isn't the main issue here that's just one small part of it. Also all 3 of the records arrived in bags even the shrink wrapped coke bottle ten. Which is why I was confused. Like I have said multiple times I cannot understand the deep scratches, finger prints, and spine wear, on the backspacer that I saw in taking it out of the bag. But again as I keep saying this is just one part of the issue and I'm not going to repeat it again.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    What is going on here....
  • Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Get a drink. 
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
    Incase anyone was wondering I did ship the vinyl back to him so if anything escalates I did everything in my power to do right in this situation. 

I returned his vinyl like he told me to even though he was getting agitated with me about it and sending conflicting messages. I also specifically and clearly told him to keep any money he gets from the post office and he should understand that I am not "screwing him" in any way...
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Get a drink. 
    I was still over on the rail bird thread lol
  • tommy boytommy boy United States Posts: 686
    "Uncle Freddie died"?.
    .."UNCLE FREDDIE DIED"????

LOL..
    Tar and Feather that ClenTubber...lol..
    Copywright @tommyboy...this type of action shall result in T&F, and tho shall be announced as ClenTubber...
    Cheers,.
    Tb
    1996: TORONTO, TOLEDO, BUFFALO
    1998: BARRIE, PITTSBURGH, CLEVELAND*, MERRIWEATHER POST
    2000: TORONTO, PITTSBURGH, DETROIT, SARATOGA SPRINGS
    2003: TORONTO, BUFFALO*, CLEVELAND, MSG 1
    2004: TOLEDO, GRAND RAPIDS
    2006: PITTSBURGH
    2008: HARTFORD
    2009: PHILLY II
    2010: BUFFALO
    2013: BUFFALO
    2014: DETROIT
    2016: NYC I NYC II
  • mlregamlrega Northern Virginia, USA Posts: 42
    Cool....

It is I... the demon trader.  
    There are lessons learned all around.  Yes....I should have added additional insurance...my bad.  Second, don't try to help out a new trader who says they don't have record mailers by saying you can use the one you send.  I mailed the records in the same box vault 4 came in, with an additional record mailer inside for stability, then wrapped them in additional plastic in case they got wet somehow.  They were properly packaged....better than the vast majority of records you receive in the mail... but no amount of packaging will save something if a mail truck runs it over. 

The Backspacer was sealed.... and now it isn't....  I sent the records we agree to trade... TFlyer didn't.  

This discussion has been closed.