My story dealing with several horrible entitled “railbirds” in GA at Wrigley 2

First I wanna start by saying this was my 20-21st show with 6-7 GA shows so I’m no novice with the rail situation and what it takes to get on it.  I’ve never been fortunate enough to camp out with my kids and whatnot makes it hard but we’ve gotten there at 7am several times and been 3 rows back and been totally cool with never ever getting a rail chance.  This show we decided to wait until 2pm to line up for the simple reason of what happened,  we all know what happens when any lighting is close the evacuate the field and a clusterfuck ensues like I watched from seats in the first rainout show.  We were 6-7 rows back center stage before the evacuation so I gave up good seats too wasn’t like I showed up at 730 before it started but anyways...  I knew by watching the last clusterfuck that the people who got pushed into the grandstands had no shot at getting a good spot so hung out by the beer stand until they made us move and funneled everyone towards those tunnels where the lines stopped and suddenly we were 1-2 people from the end of line and we realized holy shit we’ve got a rail shot here so yes I’m going to take that if it’s given to me on a platter so on it went!  My wife and I ran (with everyone else who wasn’t on the rail before standing by me) and we made it YES!!!  Then out of know where this woman comes up phyically pushing me pack and spreads both her arms out as far she can saving spots for 2 more people who showed up 30 seconds later which seemed like an hour and then pushed us back and out again just being totally disrespectful and rude my wife was like wtf!  So I’m hot but then the dudes she was with were cool and they said they had been on rail to begin with they had this spot before they cleared.  So being the bigger person I backed off and said cool then if u were here and made it back (mostly) I’m cool and I APOLIGIZED and said let’s have a good show...  3 minutes later GA getting filled up I feel this person pushing on me again!!!  This time from the back into the rail!  It’s another woman claiming I’m now in her spot!!!  She had pissed off the whole crowd to get to this point and then she wouldn’t get off me to point my wife had ask her wtf she was doing and I finally said fuck this stupid shit and gave this woman my 2nd row spot so I could stand with my wife for fucksake.  Then this woman gets into with the other woman standing next to her to the point we’re security was called halfway thru show and they were taking shit to each other all night!  Then this happened can’t make this up I had the red shirt on with the picture of the spin magazine cover with eddies mouth tapped up stones side.  another fucking person arrives claiming I’m in his 3rd row spot with his 6’5” son!  This time I’d had enough and so had my cool neighbor buddy we start having words with this D Bag hes basically standing on top of me at this point and he’s running his mouth about how we weren’t here before and la la la and we said we’re don’t moving so there he stood!!!  The whole first set he’s failing back into me and holding his arm up for obsurd amounts of time trying to block my view just total fucking asshat!!!  Ruined the first set completely.  Then the encore break comes and he’s all trying to pull his son in front of us again to the point I thought I was gonna have to smack this dude then he finally says we’ll do you wanna trade me then and I can stand by my son!  (Which by the way what kind of example this dude sets is unreal) but I said yes of course I’ll trade you and then my wife and I actually got to enjoy the second half of the show!!   But where do we draw the lines on stuff like this?  Anyone who was at the first show knew there was slim to none chance to get back where u we’re just the way the cards fell!   Let’s be real here I’m betting 60-70% of people on the rails every night have been there before!  And if the First Lady I encountered had been there before it’s pisses me off more she acted like that.  I totally realize they wasted all day maybe the day before also to get there but they had to know the risk of evacuation with it happening before!!   I’d love some feedback on this issue if I’m in the wrong for even trying to get the rail should I have just sat back and waited for GA to fill up until I got my 6th row seats back?   Thanks all except the lady’s who bumped me back and the D-bag in red shirt with glasses and a 6’5” 16 year old son whom he’s a horrible role model too!!    
Nick

Comments

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    You gotta scheme if you want an Ed tambourine. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    Team All Reserved Seating 2019
  • pjl44 said:
    I’m with you!!  If I do ever go GA again we’re going to get there hour early and not mess with the madness!  The people were a lot cooler at our first spots too.  Although there were a few cool dudes scattered and D-bags son was actually cool somehow too (sorry bout ur pops man) shout out to them!  Plus the second lady that took my spot turned out to be cool too just not with her female neighbor
    Nick
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited August 2018
    I see the same (several) people on rail at most/every show.  Its a sickness
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    OP, I think I've met those women, lol. I have totally seen this exact kind of behaviour even when there wasn't an evacuation situation to contend with. You call them railbirds, which I like, but I feel like rail rats would be a better term. They are just awful human beings. Chances are good these folks are also line listers, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    This rail sickness occurs with every band.  And one reason why reserved is the way I go now.  Not worth the trouble.
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • mikeliskamikeliska Posts: 248
    Rail people are the worst.  I love me some GA but prefer to stand around in the back where there's plenty of room.
    Not quite sure why rail or reserved are being spoken of as though those are the only two options. ;) 6 deep in GA is the sweet spot, and you can avoid these rail rats there.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DoDaFooDoDaFoo Seattle, WA Posts: 235
    People really don't understand what General Admission means. When it cleared? You lost your "spot".
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    DoDaFoo said:
    People really don't understand what General Admission means. When it cleared? You lost your "spot".
    Yep.
    I especially love the ones who actually think they also have a right to their own personal space in GA, lol, like if anyone even touches them from any direction, their GA space is violated. :lol: I've seen them spread their legs and put out their elbows just to maintain a safe space in the pit.
    Maybe they need one of these. How do you all think this would go over in the pit? =)

• JA288844JA288844 Posts: 27
    mikeliska said:
    Rail people are the worst.  I love me some GA but prefer to stand around in the back where there's plenty of room.
    I agree 100% but that doesn't exist at these stadium shows. Any sniff of room would be so off to the side you couldn't see a thing. I loved GA at the 2016 arena shows where you could chill in the back
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    Totally get the frustration. Was in line early for both days - about 30hrs in total between the two shows. Between the GA missteps by security on Saturday and the stampede after the storm on Monday, I ended up 20ft away or more from my ticket buddy both times (and in worse spots than my place in line probably would've gotten me).

It was frustrating for a lot of us in GA in one way or another - people being physical, verbally abusive, drunk, or seeing people closer that waited for much less time. Some of those issues aren't GA related, some are. That's the challenge/luck of the draw in GA. 
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    PJ_Soul said:
    Not quite sure why rail or reserved are being spoken of as though those are the only two options. ;) 6 deep in GA is the sweet spot, and you can avoid these rail rats there.
    My pick too! You can see the whole stage easily, you're still really close and people are usually less pushy. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Pretty ridiculous.  By reading your paragraph im not sure who would want to be near those beasts anyway.  Let them get close so those sickos can shout their Cubs references and other knowledgable references to their god all night. Let the entitled crazies have eachother.  

I personally wouldnt have moved off the rail but i get that you were trying to be nice. 
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    pjl44 said:
    wasn't any better, I was an aisle seat and all nigh long a parade of people coming and standing right in front of me with no regard since it was the aisle.
    pjl44 said:

• Bring on the Springsteen lottery ga and end this insanity of people camping all day in beautiful cities like chicago
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    You should be able to stay where you are.
    Anyone who tries to tell you differently is being a cockhead.
    That being stated...I would likely have moved back as well.  As much as I would hate it, enjoying the show is the most important thing.If some bag of entitled shit is going to do everything they can to fuck with you, it is not worth it.

I am on Team All Reserved Seating as well -- and not because I would not like GA, it is more to give the bird to people like the ones you describe. 
    You cannot just take anything you want and then clap when Pearl Jam speaks about the causes that they speak about. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    DoDaFoo said:
    exactly
  • Gvn2flyGvn2fly Posts: 745
    edited August 2018
    There are flaws to this for sure.  Always will be.  OnSaturday my wife and I got in line 8 am. Got second row just right of center. Had aahand on the rail at first but quickly became second row. The couple directly in front of us on the rail we're drinking at Murphy's all day, saw that the GA line started moving so they cut in and got their rail spot .
  • You should be able to stay where you are.
    That being stated...I would likely have moved back as well.  As much as I would hate it, enjoying the show is the most important thing.If some bag of entitled shit is going to do everything they can to fuck with you, it is not worth it.

I am on Team All Reserved Seating as well -- and not because I would not like GA, it is more to give the bird to people like the ones you describe. 
    You cannot just take anything you want and then clap when Pearl Jam speaks about the causes that they speak about. 
    Well said sir!!  I’m pretty sure that’s why they came out early with mind your manners!!  These Fn people are the rudest people I’ve ever encountered and Ed really hates these type of people and here they are always up front!
    Nick
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    You should be able to stay where you are.

Well said sir!!  I’m pretty sure that’s why they came out early with mind your manners!!  These Fn people are the rudest people I’ve ever encountered and Ed really hates these type of people and here they are always up front!
    He must be sick of seeing the same people over and over again too.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    MayDay10 said:
    I see the same (several) people on rail at most/every show.  Its a sickness
    Wonder if the band gets tired of seeing the same faces. I would. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjl44 said:

hrd2imgn said:
    pjl44 said:
    wasn't any better, I was an aisle seat and all nigh long a parade of people coming and standing right in front of me with no regard since it was the aisle.

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    This is a good moral question. I would think returning to the previous spot is the right thing to do. Because of the rain delay, you waived this obligation combined with the herd mentality where you see all these others stealing spots. That still shouldn’t change your own rules though. Sometimes the group rules work well for everyone  E.g. allowing people to return to their spot after going to the john and getting beers. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    GA is General Admission means No assigned areas.  You do not own your spot but should respect your neighbors.
  • Sorry to hear about the hassle up front. I haven’t fought for position in years and don’t miss it, finally talked my wife into GA for MT last week and we had an awesome show on the back barrier.

I was kind of happy for the GA redo just for the fact that it gave people a chance to get closer based on something other than the ability to camp out in line all day. I feel like it’s always the same people on the rail, so if they had to watch from a few feet further away that’s okay by me. I got in line 10 minutes before the gate opened and still ended up about 20 people deep center stage, only lost 10 or 15 feet after reentry, no biggie. Surrounded by good people before and after the delay, more so than a lot of shows I’ve been to. Aside for the clamor for the rail, I think the storm provided a little extra camaraderie for the crowd as a whole. 

Thanks to all those who had fun and respect all night...it ended up being worth it!
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    fuck these rail rats, I hope Ed recognizes these same faces and NEVER EVER thinks about offering them a tambo.   These elitists embarrass the fan base
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,312
    That dude and his 6'-5" son were very annoying.  They really pissed off about 50 people just constantly pushing up to the front.  I tried to block him for about 10 minutes, then he just went back and around and pushed his way in.  He ended up 2 people over from me and just kept looking at me and smiling like "HAHA, I got up here anyway."  Total tool.  I would never act that way.  I would never act that way when my children were watching....I'd be mortified to treat many fellow fans like that.
    There's no need to say goodbye
This discussion has been closed.