Options

Next Chicago Show - Soldier Field!!!

Comments

• Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    wbutler29 said:
    As long as Theo is associated with the cubs, PJ will not play anywhere else in the city.
    #FireTheo
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    Sarava said:
    The only thing with Wrigley is, for me it's kind of GA or bust. Unless you have a low ten club #, which I don't...you're probably going to be watching the video screen all night if you have reserved seats. Where with arenas, high ten club # seats are fine.
    This^^
    I've never seen a show at Soldier Field (only football games), but I can only imagine the cluster that would be.  Getting there is a giant pain in the ass, the sound would be horrible unless you're on the field right in front and despite it being a tiny football stadium, there is pretty much zero chance they'd fill it.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    I've seen a couple shows at Soldier field. I think Wrigley is worse actually.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    mca47 said:
    Sarava said:
    The only thing with Wrigley is, for me it's kind of GA or bust. Unless you have a low ten club #, which I don't...you're probably going to be watching the video screen all night if you have reserved seats. Where with arenas, high ten club # seats are fine.
    This^^
    I've never seen a show at Soldier Field (only football games), but I can only imagine the cluster that would be.  Getting there is a giant pain in the ass, the sound would be horrible unless you're on the field right in front and despite it being a tiny football stadium, there is pretty much zero chance they'd fill it.
    Soldier Field is serviced by the same train as Wrigley Field - the Red Line

It's also easier to get to from O'Hare and Midway airports than Wrigley. 

The novelty of PJ at Wrigley has worn thin.  Soldier Field would sell out no problem
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,743
    CM189191 said:
    mca47 said:
    Sarava said:
    This^^

The novelty of PJ at Wrigley has worn thin.  Soldier Field would sell out no problem
    The only problem is you have to walk about a mile from the el to get to the stadium.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    mca47 said:
    Sarava said:
    This^^

The only problem is you have to walk about a mile from the el to get to the stadium.
    This^^  and catching a Uber or Lyft at or around Soldier is damn near impossible.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    mca47 said:
    Sarava said:
    This^^

I agree about the novelty of Wrigley.  I'm a huge Cubs fan and was giddy when they first announced that show in '13 then had a blast in '16.  I'm all for them playing it, but they really need to space it out more.
  • Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,438
    If Wrigley keeps PJ playing Chicago ill be happy. Would the UC be better, no doubt. But if having them play Wrigley keeps Chicago on the tour stop thats fine. Imagine the people in Cleveland or Atlanta. They've been passed for a while now and would probably cringe looking at this thread
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    mca47 said:
    Sarava said:
    This^^

*gasp*
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mca47 said:
    Sarava said:
    This^^

*gasp*
    :giggle: I was going to say... only a mile? Almost everyone can do that in under 20 minutes. Of course a few folks have physical disabilities that might prevent them from walking a mile but not so severe that they are in a wheelchair or something, but they would be a very small minority and could be accommodated pretty easily.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    chiefnjkchiefnjk Posts: 301
    wbutler29 said:
    As long as Theo is associated with the cubs, PJ will not play anywhere else in the city.
    This. (Unless PJ played a "secret" show in addition to a Wrigley show. Metro anyone???)
  • Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,438
    chiefnjk said:
    wbutler29 said:
    This. (Unless PJ played a "secret" show in addition to a Wrigley show. Metro anyone???)
    Foo did that in 2017
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mca47 said:
    Sarava said:
    This^^

*gasp*
    I don't mind walking, but it's just not convenient is what my point was.  No matter what you do, there's not an easy way to get in/out of there.
  • Options
    chiefnjk said:
    wbutler29 said:
    Foo did that in 2017
    FF played Metro in 2017 as a Lolla "aftershow" but they didn't play Lolla or Wrigley in 2017.
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,768
    chiefnjk said:
    chiefnjk said:
    wbutler29 said:
    Foo did that in 2017
    FF played Metro in 2017 as a Lolla "aftershow" but they didn't play Lolla or Wrigley in 2017.
    Right, and PJ did a Lolla warmup back in '07. It'd be wishful thinking that they do a show in between two Wrigley shows, even in a place like the Metro. Murphy's Rooftop again?
  • Options
    tschav said:
    chiefnjk said:
    chiefnjk said:
    wbutler29 said:
    Foo did that in 2017
    Right, and PJ did a Lolla warmup back in '07. It'd be wishful thinking that they do a show in between two Wrigley shows, even in a place like the Metro. Murphy's Rooftop again?
    The Murphy's thing was just for Let's Play Two.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mca47 said:
    Sarava said:
    This^^

*gasp*
    I don't mind walking, but it's just not convenient is what my point was.  No matter what you do, there's not an easy way to get in/out of there.
    Convenient for who? Having been raised an hour south of Chicago, Soldier Field was a hell of a lot more convenient than making the trek to Wrigley (not that I would have wanted to, Go Go White Sox!). If someone is flying in to town to see a show, I don't think the last mile to Soldier Field is deal breaker. It's also closer to hotels.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mca47 said:
    Sarava said:
    This^^

*gasp*
    Convenient for who? Having been raised an hour south of Chicago, Soldier Field was a hell of a lot more convenient than making the trek to Wrigley (not that I would have wanted to, Go Go White Sox!). If someone is flying in to town to see a show, I don't think the last mile to Soldier Field is deal breaker. It's also closer to hotels.
    I guess just convenient for public transportation.  In a huge city like Chicago, for the closest el stop to be a mile away is pretty crazy.  And if you drive there, the parking situation there is a mess as well....50 different lots all over the place with insane prices to park. I also just don't like Soldier Field in general.  They fucked that up so badly when they re-built it.....smallest stadium in the league, not nearly enough bathrooms, etc..  Should have built an indoor place...would be super bowls, final 4s and all sorts of big time events in Chicago.
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    No to a show at Soldier Field.   I'm used to the band now playing shows at Wrigley
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mca47 said:
    Sarava said:
    This^^

*gasp*
    I guess just convenient for public transportation.  In a huge city like Chicago, for the closest el stop to be a mile away is pretty crazy.  And if you drive there, the parking situation there is a mess as well....50 different lots all over the place with insane prices to park. I also just don't like Soldier Field in general.  They fucked that up so badly when they re-built it.....smallest stadium in the league, not nearly enough bathrooms, etc..  Should have built an indoor place...would be super bowls, final 4s and all sorts of big time events in Chicago.
    True, the new Soldier Field layout is terrible. Most of my memory is the old Soldier. Football was meant to be played outside tho. 
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Bump..anyone tired of Wrigley yet??
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Wma31394 said:
    Eh, I mean I'm never gonna complain about seeing PJ anywhere so I wouldn't say I'm tired but a nice change of venue would be cool. Soldier Field would be gnarly, so would the U.C. But hey, if they keep playing Wrigley, you won't hear a peep outta me. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    Tired of stadium shows
    Especially Wrigley
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,768
    Soldier Field doesn't have the atmosphere pre- and post-concert, and entering and leaving is a mess. 

United Center is convenient because it has a roof but sound is garbage (and same notes about neighborhood).

For the sake of switching things up at Wrigley, scrap GA for one show (even if it's one of two nights) and replace it with a randomly assigned reserved seating area. Not just a few rows... the whole section up front. When 2 of 5 shows had chaos on the field because of storms, it might be worth pursuing if they continue to have shows that time of year. Luckily the delay wasn't too long, but you saw the videos. If they can't control the crowd, control the locations (In all fairness, the security and Wrigley employees were working hard against a stubborn crowd).
  • Options
    Alpine BoundAlpine Bound Posts: 1,809
    jdopj said:
    Tired of stadium shows
    Especially Wrigley
    QFT

I live 40 minute walk from Wrigley and would like to see something different. I am bored of Wrigley :( 
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,467
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mca47 said:
    Sarava said:
    This^^

*gasp*
    Agreed. Soldier field is way more accessible for me than wrigley.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    tschav said:
    Soldier Field doesn't have the atmosphere pre- and post-concert, and entering and leaving is a mess. 

United Center is convenient because it has a roof but sound is garbage (and same notes about neighborhood).

For the sake of switching things up at Wrigley, scrap GA for one show (even if it's one of two nights) and replace it with a randomly assigned reserved seating area. Not just a few rows... the whole section up front. When 2 of 5 shows had chaos on the field because of storms, it might be worth pursuing if they continue to have shows that time of year. Luckily the delay wasn't too long, but you saw the videos. If they can't control the crowd, control the locations (In all fairness, the security and Wrigley employees were working hard against a stubborn crowd).
    At this point in my life, I vote against GA shows. I would rather have a designated seat/spot and be able to grab a drink and go to the bathroom without trying to convince everyone "i was up there by that guy"
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    mschostok said:
    Wma31394 said:
    Eh, I mean I'm never gonna complain about seeing PJ anywhere so I wouldn't say I'm tired but a nice change of venue would be cool. Soldier Field would be gnarly, so would the U.C. But hey, if they keep playing Wrigley, you won't hear a peep outta me. 

Yeah, it's hard to complain since we've ha 5 shows in Chicago in the past 5 years, but I'm ready for them to go back to the UC....can't believe it has been 9 years since they last played there.  Crazy.
  • Options
    mschostok said:
    Wma31394 said:

Yeah, it's hard to complain since we've ha 5 shows in Chicago in the past 5 years, but I'm ready for them to go back to the UC....can't believe it has been 9 years since they last played there.  Crazy.
    This is about where I am. I will still go to wrigley if thats where they go, but after 5 shows there I am looking for something else.

How much does northerly island hold for a show? 

How about the new DePaul arena?
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    mschostok said:
    Wma31394 said:

This is about where I am. I will still go to wrigley if thats where they go, but after 5 shows there I am looking for something else.

How much does northerly island hold for a show? 

How about the new DePaul arena?
    Oh yeah...I'll never pass up being able to see PJ and sleep in my own bed.

I think Northerly Island can hold up to 30K now since they added the lawn a few years ago....new DePaul place is only around 9-10K