*** Chicago, IL, Fanviews Here 8/20/18 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited August 2018 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Wrigley Field
Chicago, IL
Show Two
Aug 20, 2018
Set List

Walk On Music: Aye Davanita (from Vitalogy album)

(Two hour delay due to weather)
Band Onstage: 9:30
Band Offstage: 11:57

01. Given To Fly
02. Why Go
03. Go
04. Last Exit
05.  Mind Your Manners
(Ed checks on audience has them play follow the vocals.  Alright this is happening.  This is happening.  Ed toasts because along with the magic of the venue but what makes the it a beautiful place is the people that fill the building with energy and beauty. In Hawaii they call the rain a blessing so we are counting our blessings tonight.  ‘it rains in heaven.’)
06. Do The Evolution
(Got my Jordan’s on.  I am feeling bouncy)
07. Rain-(Lennon, McCartney)
(Gonna send this to the South Side with love)
08. Throw Your Hatred Down
09. Even Flow
(Ed praises Mike, the building and Matt Cameron.  He spots a sign that has Matt “Fucking” Cameron on it and tries different order of words and emphasis.)
10.  U
11.  In My Tree
(Ed sings “goodbye girl” a few times)
12.  Immortality
13. Daughter / It's OK-(Cole) -4:00 full cover  - (Ed is thinking about the election.  A girl who will be a women using her voice to be treated and paid as an equal in the work place.  She is gonna need her voice and this upcoming election will has some laws that will be effecting mainly women.  Women between 18-35 have the numbers and the power to change the election)
14. Unthought Known
15. Jeremy
16.  I Am A Patriot-(Van Zandt) (v-1 slow Ed solo, v2 is fast full band)
17.  Lukin
(After Lukin Ed plays the chords to Lukin slowly and sings, I’m Going To Wrigley’s and adds a line about going to Murphy’s.  Very short.  20 seconds)
18. Porch

Encore Break One
(Ed comes on stage with a Chelios jersey.  Ed says one of the guys he loves is Jack White.  He loves that fucking guy.  He talks about Jack getting to go behind the scoreboard.  Ed says the band isn’t going to tour anymore from April to October because he has been offered a job of changing the scoreboard.  It is a dream job for him.)
19. We Are Gonna Be Friends-(Jack White) Ed solo acoustic guitar
(Ed changes the lyrics to first verse to being about going to Wrigley Field. 
Speaking of friends one of my best is here tonight.  Back with the Black Hawks, defenseman extraordinaire Chris Chelios.  Chris holds a jersey for Stan Mikita.  Ed wants to play the song for his wife and have the audience hold up their phone lights.  The baseball world championship trophy is on stage behind Ed as well)
20. Come Back
(Ed says he knows he can drink out of the Stanley Cup but he is going to figure a way to ‘drink out of that thing’ referring to the trophy.  He lists many of the Cubs players and staff who do various charity work)
21. Corduroy (Go cubs go)
22. Black
23. Lightning Bolt
24. Rearviewmirrror

(Since there is a curfew. {there is an 11 o’clock curfew for Wrigley but the band got permission to play until midnight if the weather was bad but no later} Ed asks the band to stay onstage so they can play more songs.  The band discusses what to play.  Ed puts on a Theo Epstein shirt.  They take a request to play Smile)
25. Smile
26. Evil Little Goat (first live performance)
27.  Leash
28. Alive
29. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend)
(Danny Clinch plays harmonica.  Ed destroys a blue telecaster)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Bravo for fitting the show in and pushing it as late as they could.  Looks like a fun show - love that they opened with GTF.
    Hope those in attendance had a great time and survived the delays with smiles.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited August 2018
    Sick show. Patriots , immortality, smile...such a great set list. Crowd and band were on fire!

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • unikunkaunikunka Posts: 87
    GA was a cluster.  Had 3rd row center originally but was able to get back to relatively same spot.   That rush in was not fun. 

But the first 6 songs in the rain were literally glorious.  What a release of energy.  Might be my favorite 5 song run I've seen in 55 shows.  Rest of show was fantastic except when Ed made Stone mad and then Stone missed the band photo.  Poor Stone. 
  • Unbelievable! These guys knew what they had to do to save the show after the rain delay and THEY DID IT!

Phenominal rocker of a setlist, nonstop!
  • unikunka said:
    GA was a cluster.  Had 3rd row center originally but was able to get back to relatively same spot.   That rush in was not fun. 

But the first 6 songs in the rain were literally glorious.  What a release of energy.  Might be my favorite 5 song run I've seen in 55 shows.  Rest of show was fantastic except when Ed made Stone mad and then Stone missed the band photo.  Poor Stone. 
    Haha, really?! Any idea what Ed did?
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Great night! Shame about the delay, but they absolutely gave us the best show they could. Best band in the world!
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2018
    All factors considered they did an awesome job last night. She was an evil little goat goat goat!

I will also be the 1st to say watching Ed sing. "BAHHHHH" while slapping his hands behind his ears on stage was worth the rain delay

Best version of Patriot since the first one wayyyyyy back.

They started hard, I'll be honest it took a few songs to snap me out of will it be canceled, oh shit another lightning bolt shock.  Their instinct was spot on.

Biggest surprise was no release either night.

Soundcheck was very great foreshadow of what they would play.

Immortality was amazing, Evenflow was tight, U should be played way more often!

Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    EVIL. LITTLE. GOAT. anything is now possible with this band. literally anything. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• bbisonbbison Posts: 215
    3+ hours of intensity and passion stuffed into a 2.5 hour package. A fun and memorable show.
    Is this where the show list goes?

11-26-91 / 8-2-92 / 3-15-94 / 7-9-95 / 7-11-95 / 8-29-98 / 9-1-00 / 10-25-03 
    10-23-04 / 10-22-06 / 10-9-09 / 10-23-10 / 10-3-12 / 7-9-13 / 10-21-13
    11-24-13 / 11-26-13 / 10-17-14 / 10-20-14 / 10-25-14 / 4-8-16 / 4-9-16
     4-28-16 / 4-29-16 / 8-20-16 / 8-22-16 / 8-10-18 / 8-18-18 / 8-20-18
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Sweet
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Sick show. Patriots , immortality, smile...such a great set list. Crowd and band were on fire!

Did you go backstage? 
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • BERKNYCBERKNYC Los Angeles, CA Posts: 34
    unikunka said:

unikunka said:

unikunka said:

Haha. What happened with Ed and Stone?
  • The entire band was PISSED at Ed all night long. They were also sloppy all night.

That being said, those first 6 songs, the way they came out was the PJ I fucking miss!!!! Started 7 rows back in front of jeff, ended up 3 rows back in front of mike after the delay. The group of PJ fans around me was awesome! By the way, the way they timed everything with the delay was perfect.

Smile > Goat > Leash was INSANE!!!!!!!!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    What a fucking night. My first time in GA and it was unreal. Met so many great people tonight and we all made it through the delay together. So thankful the curfew was extended and the band gave us everything they could. 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,004
    Another fun night, too bad that it was cut a little short, but what a great show and a very heavy set...
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Btw if my math is right, that's only 6 repeats in the two shows. That's fantastic!
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    The entire band was PISSED at Ed all night long. They were also sloppy all night.

That being said, those first 6 songs, the way they came out was the PJ I fucking miss!!!! Started 7 rows back in front of jeff, ended up 3 rows back in front of mike after the delay. The group of PJ fans around me was awesome! By the way, the way they timed everything with the delay was perfect.

I did not get a vibe that they were pissed at Eddie or didnI think they were sloppy. I was about 7 rows deep and I thought they killed it and were having a good time. 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Great show, the delay sucked but it all ended well

Thanks 10c for great tickets both nights 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Great show.  They packed a ton into the limited time, including forgoing the 2nd encore break.  Raucous set list and pace
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Boss shows. I hope we get a juicy box set of every one!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    If you’re looking for complaints keep scrolling, because this is my first show.

That rain delay was worth it the moment they came out. Energy was twice as high and Given To Fly/Why Go in the downpour was so fucking cool. 

The highlights for me were Black, LEASH, Evil Little Goat (!), Come Back for Stan Mikita, Smile, Rearviewmirror, and Baba O’Riley as a closer with Eddie smashing a guitar Who style! (The whole show was a huge highlight though!)

Greatest band in the world. Period.

”I’m going to Wrigley....I got a spot at Wrigley....Knock the door at Wrigley, Open The Fridge, Now I know Life Is Worth...And then I’m going to Murphy’s”

"Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • KC138045 said:
    The entire band was PISSED at Ed all night long. They were also sloppy all night.

I did not get a vibe that they were pissed at Eddie or didnI think they were sloppy. I was about 7 rows deep and I thought they killed it and were having a good time. 
    Just the glares Ed was giving Mike. Stone was giving Ed the death stare all night. They fucked up DTE and even flow for sure, other songs their timing was off sometimes. Not bitching at all, just stating what I saw and heard. Either way, it was the best show at Wrigley to date
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    THe band pissed at ed? What show were you at because I didn’t pick up on that at all.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mcgruff10 said:
    THe band pissed at ed? What show were you at because I didn’t pick up on that at all.
    we'll hear about it soon on altnation. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    Great show. First 4 songs with the rain falling was amazing. 
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Thank you from the bottom of my heart for Given to Fly, a nice and emotional moment for me and my mom in memory of my brother that took his own life two years ago today. 

If anyone reading this and is thinking about doing the same, don’t give up y’all

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

In less depressing news, a wonderful show all around. ❤️
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,290
    Fun show, wish it was three hours, but I cannot complain.  Two of my favorite songs played over this weekend, garden and immortality.

Cant wait for the second Fenway show.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    EV was having some difficulty with his guitar early and had to check with a tech who was located behind mike...  maybe that was the "glares"?
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”