Report details sexual abuse by more than 300 priests in Pennsylvania's Catholic Church

Comments

• Can the Pope be sued?  How 'bout the Vatican?  Seems about all that is left is to see if the church can be bankrupt ... but sheeple will just donate to the lawsuits...
    Sold as a 'test of faith'.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Outrage, what a joke.

You'll still be there, you'll still put money in the pot, you'll still defend the church by playing the "poor bullied Catholic" line...bottom line, you will take money out of your pocket this week and forever to pay child rapists and their protectors no matter how many kids get raped.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    While this is "new" news it is old news what the catholic church did and what its members allowed it to do.
    Catholics  from top to bottom are complicit in this horror and its cover up.

Shame
    You know how us Catholic girls can be
    We make up for so much time a little too late
    I never forgot it, confusing as it was
    No fun with no guilt feelings
    The sinners, the saviors, the lover-less priests
    I'll see you next Sunday
    We all had our reasons to be there
    We all had a thing or two to learn
    We all needed something to cling to
    So we did
    I sang Alleluia in the choir
    I confessed my darkest deeds to an envious man
    My brothers they never went blind for what they did
    But I may as well have
    In the name of the Father, the Skeptic and the Son
    I had one more stupid question
    So we did
    What I learned I rejected but I believe again
    I will suffer the consequence of this inquisition
    If I jump in this fountain, will I be forgiven
    So we did
    We all had delusions in our head
    We all had our minds made up for us
    We had to believe in something
    So we did
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    One of the priests was the priest at my church. And Bishop Timlin of Scranton gave me my confirmation (some stupid sacrament for those unfamiliar). Timlin paid a 17-year-old girl $75,000 (that's money out of the collections basket that goes around at masses) to keep quiet about being raped and impregnated by a priest. He went on to write a letter saying how he shares in the grief and knows how hard this is for you. The letter wasn't to the girl that was raped, IT WAS TO THE RAPIST PRIEST!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    One of the priests was the priest at my church. And Bishop Timlin of Scranton gave me my confirmation (some stupid sacrament for those unfamiliar). Timlin paid a 17-year-old girl $75,000 (that's money out of the collections basket that goes around at masses) to keep quiet about being raped and impregnated by a priest. He went on to write a letter saying how he shares in the grief and knows how hard this is for you. The letter wasn't to the girl that was raped, IT WAS TO THE RAPIST PRIEST!
    That is disgusting. 
  • j1kotwicj1kotwic Posts: 168
    rgambs said:
    Outrage, what a joke.

You'll still be there, you'll still put money in the pot, you'll still defend the church by playing the "poor bullied Catholic" line...bottom line, you will take money out of your pocket this week and forever to pay child rapists and their protectors no matter how many kids get raped.
    Because of the scandals that have continued to plague the catholic church, you and many on here have judged 1/7th of the world's population and declared all catholics to be in favor of or complicit with rape and therefore bad people. I expect outrage towards those involved and those who allowed it to happen. But did not expect to see so much widespread hate towards so many who have no involvement.  Because we put money in the basket? We have many poor at mass who do not put money in because they can't afford it. Are they bad people? Or is it just people who give money? Tell me, the people that give money are they giving it because they believe it is going towards a good cause? What pretenses are they giving money?  Think it's going to the salvation army, red cross, people in need? Pay the utilities at the church?  This is where my church's donations go. Or do you just see it as a billion people donating into a rapist priest defense fund?  Seems like the latter is the way you guys see it. This is what you want to believe? If that's the case than just fuck it, humanity is doomed. Fucking cynics.  

And no, Not a poor bullied catholic here. Im not looking for sympathy or your approval. Don't need it.  Im just saying you guys are generalizing and judging so many people and it's wrong. Im honestly surprised to see that here. Most Catholics are good people. Just like most Jews are good people. Just like most muslims are good people. Just like most atheists are good people. Just like most humans are good people...  

There are some bad people that have infiltrated the catholic religion just as they do in society. Some church leadership protected these horrible criminals and ruined people's lives. They put the public relations of the catholic church before its own people and it is so wrong. The fact that there has been a 70 year history of this and the grand jury found that this behavior is continuing is despicable. Very dark times to be a catholic.  

But get out of here with your "1.2 billion catholic people are bad people who are complicit with rape" bullshit. Be angry with rapists, the enablers, protectors and church leadership who allowed this to happen. Dont be angry with the catholic person who truly lives the faith, loves one another and respects all human life. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2018
    I want my priests exorcising Satan or being attacked by flies.

Not being vile, disgusting fucks. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    j1kotwic said:
    rgambs said:
    Outrage, what a joke.

Because of the scandals that have continued to plague the catholic church, you and many on here have judged 1/7th of the world's population and declared all catholics to be in favor of or complicit with rape and therefore bad people. I expect outrage towards those involved and those who allowed it to happen. But did not expect to see so much widespread hate towards so many who have no involvement.  Because we put money in the basket? We have many poor at mass who do not put money in because they can't afford it. Are they bad people? Or is it just people who give money? Tell me, the people that give money are they giving it because they believe it is going towards a good cause? What pretenses are they giving money?  Think it's going to the salvation army, red cross, people in need? Pay the utilities at the church?  This is where my church's donations go. Or do you just see it as a billion people donating into a rapist priest defense fund?  Seems like the latter is the way you guys see it. This is what you want to believe? If that's the case than just fuck it, humanity is doomed. Fucking cynics.  

And no, Not a poor bullied catholic here. Im not looking for sympathy or your approval. Don't need it.  Im just saying you guys are generalizing and judging so many people and it's wrong. Im honestly surprised to see that here. Most Catholics are good people. Just like most Jews are good people. Just like most muslims are good people. Just like most atheists are good people. Just like most humans are good people...  

There are some bad people that have infiltrated the catholic religion just as they do in society. Some church leadership protected these horrible criminals and ruined people's lives. They put the public relations of the catholic church before its own people and it is so wrong. The fact that there has been a 70 year history of this and the grand jury found that this behavior is continuing is despicable. Very dark times to be a catholic.  

But get out of here with your "1.2 billion catholic people are bad people who are complicit with rape" bullshit. Be angry with rapists, the enablers, protectors and church leadership who allowed this to happen. Dont be angry with the catholic person who truly lives the faith, loves one another and respects all human life. 
    If you want to try to understand, read your post and replace every mention of or reference to the church with the Mafia, the Taliban, or some crazy child-polygamy cult.  

It doesn't matter how many people practice the magic rituals, billions doesn't change anything.  Nobody thinks all Catholics are bad people, we all understand that in their personal lives, they are just like everyone else...shitty to awesome, the whole spectrum.

The problem we have is that your sick fucking institution has you all brainwashed to circle the wagons and defend the Church no matter what.
    "Some" "some" "some"... That's minimizing and compartmentalizing 101.

Tell me, what do you think about this? ^^^
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    rgambs said:
    j1kotwic said:
    rgambs said:
    Outrage, what a joke.

If you want to try to understand, read your post and replace every mention of or reference to the church with the Mafia, the Taliban, or some crazy child-polygamy cult.  

It doesn't matter how many people practice the magic rituals, billions doesn't change anything.  Nobody thinks all Catholics are bad people, we all understand that in their personal lives, they are just like everyone else...shitty to awesome, the whole spectrum.

The problem we have is that your sick fucking institution has you all brainwashed to circle the wagons and defend the Church no matter what.
    "Some" "some" "some"... That's minimizing and compartmentalizing 101.

Tell me, what do you think about this? ^^^
    So why aren't the priests going to prison?

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    j1kotwic said:
    rgambs said:
    Outrage, what a joke.

As a Jew, if I heard about a conscious and systemic effort to rape, support rape, or conceal rape within the organization, I would not give a fucking cent to it ever again. The strength of my spirituality should never depend on donations anyways.

A government is accountable to its constitution, but a corporation or a religion (which I don't frankly differentiate between much) only has accountability thrust on it by its clients/funders. Since the only way the catholic church is able to systemically rape and cover it up is with its members' funds, it goes to say that every catholic who is aware of this systemic behaviour is technically complicit (though to a very small degree per person).

Personally, I'm always vying for full transparency. If the raping continues, I'd at least love for catholics to know their percentage of monies in the basket going towards raping or recovering from raping (as priests, of course, they're the truly traumatized ones in all of this). I think it'd be nice every Christmas, to send out Seasons Greetings notices. "Hey John, haven't seen you in a while! Just wanted you to know that 3.2% of every Church donation goes towards the systemic rape the Church performs on behalf of Jesus, and this is all thanks to strong-valued Catholics as yourself. This year alone, we've managed to 'rape' (our lawyers forced us to put it in quotes) 3,000 children of God, and relocate the 50 men of God responsible. This is exactly what Jesus would have done. Happy Christmas to all!"
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,478
    #walkaway
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • j1kotwic said:
    rgambs said:
    Outrage, what a joke.

Oh we are.

Own it, man. Your money and faith do not just pay the utilities. Where do you think your dream selling organization procures its funds? It's the oldest pyramid scheme in existence.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    The Catholic Church has been fraught with pedophiles since day one. 

One can look at residential schools in Canada (which were horror houses) as a classic example of a more recent past marked by sickness. And nothing has changed: it's been business as usual in modern day churches- as evidenced in this most understated and completely obscene story.

The level of complicity is hard to determine with any great degree of accuracy, but aside from the number of actual deviants themselves which is staggering... church officials, some parents, and others associated with the church (that know about the abuse but do not disclose) comprise a number far greater than 'just a few'.

To boot... if an organization I was involved with was exposed as abusing children on a grand scale... I would not be supporting it in any way and would be looking to remove myself from it in every manner possible. If I was to maintain my status as a contributing member... well... 
    not to minimize the catholic church's role in this, but remember they did so at the behest of the canadian government. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:
    Outrage, what a joke.

"didn't happen in my church"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited August 2018
    Here's a write-up about all the abuse that Bishop Timlin of the Scranton diocese covered-up. As I stated earlier, this man gave me my "confirmation." And a picture exists of 12-year-old me kneeling before him as he blesses me or whatever. 

https://www.timesleader.com/news/715509/715509
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • The Catholic Church has been fraught with pedophiles since day one. 

One can look at residential schools in Canada (which were horror houses) as a classic example of a more recent past marked by sickness. And nothing has changed: it's been business as usual in modern day churches- as evidenced in this most understated and completely obscene story.

The level of complicity is hard to determine with any great degree of accuracy, but aside from the number of actual deviants themselves which is staggering... church officials, some parents, and others associated with the church (that know about the abuse but do not disclose) comprise a number far greater than 'just a few'.

To boot... if an organization I was involved with was exposed as abusing children on a grand scale... I would not be supporting it in any way and would be looking to remove myself from it in every manner possible. If I was to maintain my status as a contributing member... well... 
    not to minimize the catholic church's role in this, but remember they did so at the behest of the canadian government. 

They needed 'teachers' and staff and the only ones willing to do the job at these schools (for such low pay and crappy conditions) was the church. The 'perks' were simply too great- an absolute calamity.

The current social state of FN people is directly linked to the residential school experience. Every child was touched and affected by the evil that presented itself as holy. The trauma has transcended through the population- the people have never overcome the obscenity they endured.

To my way of thinking... this is the area we need to help these people with: help them regain their personal dignity and pride for their culture.  
    The Catholic Church has been fraught with pedophiles since day one. 

They needed 'teachers' and staff and the only ones willing to do the job at these schools (for such low pay and crappy conditions) was the church. The 'perks' were simply too great- an absolute calamity.

The current social state of FN people is directly linked to the residential school experience. Every child was touched and affected by the evil that presented itself as holy. The trauma has transcended through the population- the people have never overcome the obscenity they endured.

To my way of thinking... this is the area we need to help these people with: help them regain their personal dignity and pride for their culture.  
    yeah, I know. I'm just saying it wasn't JUST the church that committed that atrocity. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited August 2018
    rgambs said:
    j1kotwic said:
    pjhawks said:
    About 30 years ago i asked a very catholic co-worker what she thought about the latest catholic priest child abuse scandal and her response  was  " there are no gay priests". This from an educated person.

I tried to explain  the difference between a homosexuality and a pedophile but she wasn't  having it.

To this day the catholic church and its adherents have their collective and complic heads in the sand and should be ashamed that they still allow this horror and coverup to continue.
    I grew up Catholic and went to Catholic grade school.  No  longer practicing for many reasons but I still know many people who still participate. It boggles my mind sometimes to think these same people would never go to any other place or send their children to any other place that has harbored more pedophile's than the Catholic church.  it's disgusting how little moral outrage there is from practicing Catholics on this issue.

Edit: and that report doesn't include the Archdiocese of Philadelphia which is the largest in the state of Pennsylvania so that is only a portion of the cases.

1.2 billion Catholics are complicit and not outraged by this? Im a practicing catholic and I am outraged. I guess I must be an anomaly.

What is it called when you judge an entire group of people based on the action (or inaction) of a few)? 
    You put money in the plate when it goes around?  You buy their fish on Fridays?  Go to their beer garden?

That's complicity, your money is being used to protect child rapists.
    I'm inclined to agree.  When Benedict was removed it was the first signal that something was really wrong in the Church from my membership timeline.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Same story, different day. I don't understand why suddenly THIS particular scandal, among so many others, is finally garnering a stronger reaction from the Vatican. Way too little way too late in my book, if we're talking about how we feel about the Pope/Catholic Church. There is no way in hell that cult is going to make the REAL changes that are needed to stop all these corrupt perverts and the Vatican political culture that has led to this, which is only one of many, many scandals and fuckery.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    There may 1.2 billion catholics in the world .... but I know here in my neck of the woods the Catholic Church struggles with attendance, and they have even consolidated church's...so it appears that some people have left the church or stopped attending for whatever reason...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    There may 1.2 billion catholics in the world .... but I know here in my neck of the woods the Catholic Church struggles with attendance, and they have even consolidated church's...so it appears that some people have left the church or stopped attending for whatever reason...
    attendance is pathetic at my in-laws' church as well. except on xmas, easter, etc. I'm sure that annoys the fuck out of the priest as well. kinda like playoff sports fans. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

attendance is pathetic at my in-laws' church as well. except on xmas, easter, etc. I'm sure that annoys the fuck out of the priest as well. kinda like playoff sports fans. LOL
    The Easter and Christmas church goers ... there are plenty of those.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited August 2018
    There are two super seriously practicing Catholics in my office (out of 30 people), and it actually really strikes me as unusual, especially the one who is only in his late 20s and converted to Catholicism in his 20s (I think his parents are Anglican and raised him that way). The other one is in his late 30s I think, and it the bigger fanatic of the two ... and he and his wife just had their 5th kid this spring. I have no fucking idea how he affords all those kids in metro Vancouver - I'm thinking maybe his church must supplement his income or something.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    'We showed no care for the little ones': Pope's letter vows to end sex abuse, coverups

Give Peas A Chance…
    He's going to have to drop the whole vow of chastity thing for priests and allow women equal power in the Church to accomplish that, and he's not going to do either of those things.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    If any Pope were to do that this would be the one.
    PJ_Soul said:
    He's going to have to drop the whole vow of chastity thing for priests and allow women equal power in the Church to accomplish that, and he's not going to do either of those things.
    while I agree the equal power thing is necessary, why specifically in the context of sexual abuse would that matter?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    while I agree the equal power thing is necessary, why specifically in the context of sexual abuse would that matter?
    I meant that both have to go hand in hand as a single solution, but if you insist on separating them (I'd rather not), even that would help, simply because all-boys clubs tend to be far more corrupt and more into the "protect from within" in general. Plus, men simply conduct themselves differently in the sexual context when women are in the mix. Also, I just think it would make it a lot harder to get away with with a bunch of women around. I mean, the Church would be a COMPLETELY different animal if women had equal positions in it, just like it is with governments in general. No, I am not suggesting that that female pedos don't exist, if that's where your head went.
    But the reason I don't like the separating that from the vow of chastity, is because that vow is, in my opinion, almost solely responsible for attracting so many pedophiles to the Church in the first place, and I think that would be the case if there were women priests too. Female pedos would likely also be attracted to it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    just another reason that the chastity idea for priests is a bad idea all around. 
    Not trying to be an asshole but I don't see how this post has anything to do with the story.  Do you really think that the reason these priest molested kids is because they can't have sex with adults?