Vegan, Vegetarian, Carnivor, or Omnivore?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
Rather than belittle each other, simply tell us (if you wish to) how your eat and why.  The challenge here is to discuss and perhaps persuade rather than argue and berate.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Vegan, Vegetarian, Carnivor, or Omnivore? 33 votes

I am a vegan.
6%
tbergsSmellyman 2 votes
I am a vegetarian.
6%
flywallyflySpiritual_Chaos 2 votes
I am mostly vegetarian.
6%
brianluxLongestRoad 2 votes
I am an omnivore.
45%
cincybearcatjeffbrmcgruff10josevolutionPJPOWEREmerald772MalrothHesCalledDyerblackhawksF Me In The BrainPJ_SoulTalonTeddrgambsHughFreakingDillondionnesimone 15 votes
I am mostly carnivore.
9%
BLACK35DarthMaeglinPJWGIII 3 votes
I am a carnivore.
24%
unsungmy2handslastexitlondonThoughts_ArriveKC138045Gern Blansteneddiecseanwon 8 votes
I get my nutrition from the air.
3%
Meltdown99 1 vote

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Theobromarian 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited August 2018
    I am mostly vegetarian.
    Theobromarian 
    Oh, galldarnit, there goes the poll all to hell already!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,712
    I am a carnivore.
    I eat everything  . I probably could be tempted to be vegetarian because  my daughter is and I like the food she eats. But I don't think too much about it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    edited August 2018
    I am a vegetarian.
    I have been a vegetarian for 24 years now. Watched some videos on local cable access on factory farms and quit on the spot because I wanted no responsibility for what I witnessed and have never regretted it (though the smell of bbq still gets my stomach growling...). I dont preach to anyone how to eat and actually do not like it when people find out I am and ask me why I'm a vegetarian (just makes me uncomfortable for some reason since its just a personal choice). My wife, kids, and friends all eat meat and doesnt bother me in the least. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    I am a carnivore.
    I eat meat but I do understand its negative environmental impact, especially beef. I source my meat from local farmers. This is fairly easy as I live in the west of Ireland and I have cows and sheep grazing a few hundreds yards from my house. The local butcher lists which farm the meat comes and these animals spend the majority of their life outdoors. I never buy meat from supermarkets.
    Although, I have tried to limit my meat consumption over the past few years. 

• TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    I am an omnivore.
    This may sound callous but everyday millions of animals and invertebrates are torn apart and mangled in nature as prey.  Nature is cruel.  So how the food dies is low priority.  How they live however is.  We buy grass grazed cattle and free ranged buzzards from the farmers markets.  Its twice the cost but worth it.  I never buy anything with a USDA label on it.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I am an omnivore.
    Buzzards???  lol surely you don't eat buzzard
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I am an omnivore.
    I eat the whole gamut but mostly fruits vegetables & sea food last night did eat great steak..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I am an omnivore.
    I enjoy a variety of yummy meats, fruits, vegetables. 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,712
    I am a carnivore.
    I guess I am an omnivore . Voted wrong. I didn't really know the definition if I'm honest. Oops
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    I am a carnivore.
    I guess I am an omnivore . Voted wrong. I didn't really know the definition if I'm honest. Oops
    Same here lol
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited August 2018
    I am a vegetarian.
    Post deleted
    Post edited by Sea on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    People who without qualms choose meat in 2018 are shitty people.

Trying to choose vegan when possible, but most often vegetarian. More shitty than I wish.
    People who eat meat are not shitty people...grow up.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited August 2018
    I am a vegetarian.
    Post edited by Sea on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Trying to choose vegan when possible, but most often vegetarian. More shitty than I wish.
    People who eat meat are not shitty people...grow up.
    Start to think.
    You need to think...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    I am mostly carnivore.
    I’m mostly carnivore mainly because I’m lazy when it comes to proper nutrition, I’ll admit. However I do subscribe to the theory(?) that we’ve evolved into omnivores.
    That said, I have come to question some of our practices, such as drinking other animals milk.
    A couple months ago I “suffered” through 2 weeks of a “whole food, plant-based” diet when I spent time with my aunt and uncle (he cites the diet as the cause of the remission of his rheumatoid arthritis, and he has greatly improved since the change, though they do have the occasional cheat day where meat is eaten). I came home with some recipes I’ve yet to try cooking, and am heading back to their place for a couple more weeks soon.
     I try not to judge anyone for their choices in this regard, as long as we all let ourselves be open to a bit of good-natured ribbing on the topic, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    edited August 2018
    I am a vegetarian.
    Post edited by Sea on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited August 2018
    I am an omnivore.

Adults who mooch off their parents when they are perfectly able to live on their own are shitty people and need to grow up, not meat eaters.
    I am mostly vegetarian.
    I'm more and  more moving toward vegetarian.  I never eat any seafood or shell fish and avoid large animals meat.  I do occasionally eat poultry and I eat eggs.  My main reason for going more vegetarian is that I realize that a world with 7 plus billion human inhabitants cannot support us as carnivores.  I don't think it's unnatural to eat meat, I just don't see how we can justify doing so.  But I also did not have kids so having not added to the population issue, I allow myself the pleasure of a little poultry and the occasional egg dish. 

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    I'm more and  more moving toward vegetarian.  I never eat any seafood or shell fish and avoid large animals meat.  I do occasionally eat poultry and I eat eggs.  My main reason for going more vegetarian is that I realize that a world with 7 plus billion human inhabitants cannot support us as carnivores.  I don't think it's unnatural to eat meat, I just don't see how we can justify doing so.  But I also did not have kids so having not added to the population issue, I allow myself the pleasure of a little poultry and the occasional egg dish. 
    Yes to much of this. To my mind, even if people disagree that there are ethical aspects to eating meat, you have to be willfully ignoring a lot of evidence about environmental impact to justify eating beef in particular. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJPOWER said:

Adults who mooch off their parents when they are perfectly able to live on their own are shitty people and need to grow up, not meat eaters.

Is this a game? The cheap shot game? Let me try:

People that enable mass murder by supporting pro gun measures are the shittiest people.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    I am mostly vegetarian.

I really respect vegans. Some of my heroes, the majority of Sea Shepherd crew members, are vegans.  My wife and I eat vegan and vegetarian much of the time.  Telling me I am a shitty person for not being vegan all of the time is not going to make me want to rebel and eat meat more often, so that's not an issue.  What is an issue is that I really do wish people would move toward vegan and vegetarian and you may be pushing some people further from doing that than closer.  Unless you goal is to turn people off to veganism and vegetarianism, please consider a better strategy and please honor my request to not berate others on this thread.  Thanks.

edited August 2018
    I am an omnivore.
    PJPOWER said:

People that enable mass murder by supporting pro gun measures are the shittiest people.
    People who think people are enabling mass murderers  by supporting an individual’s right to protect themselves from mass murderers are shitty people.  Meat eaters are not shitty people, though, just because they choose to eat meat.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    I am mostly vegetarian.
    brianlux said:
    Yes to much of this. To my mind, even if people disagree that there are ethical aspects to eating meat, you have to be willfully ignoring a lot of evidence about environmental impact to justify eating beef in particular. 
    Agreed.  And pork as well.  Pig farms impact environment in terrible ways and most pork comes from these massively polluting pig farms.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I am an omnivore.

My feelings might be hurt if you weren't such a big fan of KISS.
    That makes it hard to take you seriously.
    I'm picturing a grown man living in clown make-up just eatin' broccoli and jammin' to generic music.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited August 2018
    I am an omnivore.
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Agreed.  And pork as well.  Pig farms impact environment in terrible ways and most pork comes from these massively polluting pig farms.
    Serious question, how do you feel about people that raise and eat their own meat (of any kind)?  If a person has their own pig farm of 4 or 5 pigs and eats a couple of them a year, are they really impacting the environment any more negativity than someone using the same space to water a vegetable garden?
    Also, do you believe that farming practices have not impacted the environment in a negative way?  
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

People who think people are enabling mass murderers  by supporting an individual’s right to protect themselves from mass murderers are shitty people.
    Great point!!!!!!!!

All the recent mass murders were prevented by individuals with their guns they bought for protection.

Vegas could have been way worse. And Aurora. And Sandy Hook. And...

I win. Yay!!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
This discussion has been closed.