Grizz Stadium: The Worst

Comments

• ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    edited August 2018
    Ballparks and football stadiums are no place for a concert. End this horrible horrible trend .
    I hope for the band to go back to playing 800 to 1,500 seat venues.
    Like they did back in the early years.
    Post edited by ryph raph on
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    ryph raph said:
    Ballparks and football stadiums are no place for a concert. End this horrible horrible trend .
    I hope for the band to go back to playing 800 to 1,500 seat venues.
    Like they did back in the early years.
    I know your kidding, but I guess the issue is the band doesn't like to spend a lot of time on the road.   With so few tour dates they need to play big venues to deal with the ticket demand.   I often wonder what ticket demand would be like if they were still doing the bigger 70ish date tours they used to do.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Zod said:
    It's sad reading the negative Missoula comments.  I loved it there 20 years ago.   It was my first real PJ show.  The state felt so free with it's sections of highways with out speed limits.  The you can drink and drive as long as your not over the legal limit rule (which a cop told us about).   The random Canadian girl we ran into those told us never to date American men.... lol.  The badass crazy storm that blew over the night we got into town (two nights before the show).   We were tenting at the KOA, retreated into the car, and rented a cabin at the KOA for the 2nd night.

My memories of the venue are amazing.  I don't remember any big problems getting in.   I bought my first poster at an outside merch booth that had no fuss and no lineup.    I remember thinking the hill behind the venue was super cool because people were up there watching the sold out show.   Goodness was a pretty good opener and Mike McCready came out to play with them.

The concert was amazing.   No one complained that it was only 2 hours :)   Some guy got to propose to his GF on stage.   Another kid got up on stage and was about to get tackled by security but Ed showed mercy and calmed them down.    The pit was pretty friend (But old school enough you could mosh up to the front).   I lost track of my friend at the beginning but we found each other crowd surfing to yellow ledbetter.

I have so many positive memories of what I consider to be my first Pearl Jam show (technically the 1st being a lollapalooza 40 minute afternoon set, that was powerful but short).    I seriously thought about going back this year as I have so many fond memories of the city, the state, and the venue.  It's too bad a lot of people didn't get the amazing memories I have of the place.    I thought it was an amazing place for a concert in 1998 and I thought the town had a great atmosphere.
    Yup. My '98 experience was amazing as well. 

I mean, it could have been that I was floating about the stadium with a head full of mushrooms.
  • AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    Missoula is amazing, the people are amazing, etc. Can’t wait to go back there for a PJ show. 
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    "PJ belong in arenas, not stadiums" is the new version of
    "PJ belong in concert halls, not arenas" was the new version of
    "PJ belong in bars, not concert halls" was the new version of 
    "imagine how cool it would be to see PJ in a massive stadium festival instead of this crummy bar?". 
    I remember when PJ played this place...

• PJ_Soul said:
    I'll admit I don't like the ballparks.  I like places that were made for concerts.  Deer Creek, Alpine Valley, etc.
    Same here, I don't like stadium shows very much (and always prefer indoor concerts as well - concerts in daylight weird me out, and it's a huge drag worrying about weather). I did one PJ ballpark show, and I think I'm done with that. I have no real desire to do it again. Too big, too hyped, too much of a circus, not good music venues (not that I begrudge them - who ever loves them, great). I am really looking forward to the next regular old arena tour! That size venue is where PJ shines best IMO.

Missoula is a nice town btw. I really liked it. Nice people, nice vibe.
    I agree. I've never attended a stadium show, and don't plan to. I'm very much looking forward to seeing PJ in an arena, hopefully in the near future. And I would love to visit Missoula sometime-I've heard that Montana is a beautiful place. 
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 159
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'll admit I don't like the ballparks.  I like places that were made for concerts.  Deer Creek, Alpine Valley, etc.
    Same here, I don't like stadium shows very much (and always prefer indoor concerts as well - concerts in daylight weird me out, and it's a huge drag worrying about weather). I did one PJ ballpark show, and I think I'm done with that. I have no real desire to do it again. Too big, too hyped, too much of a circus, not good music venues (not that I begrudge them - who ever loves them, great). I am really looking forward to the next regular old arena tour! That size venue is where PJ shines best IMO.

I agree. I've never attended a stadium show, and don't plan to. I'm very much looking forward to seeing PJ in an arena, hopefully in the near future. And I would love to visit Missoula sometime-I've heard that Montana is a beautiful place. 
    Montana is an awesome place, have lived here for a few years now.  I hope they continue to play out of the way places, that way d-bags like the OP won't be there anymore, probably voted for Trump.  The line was annoying, I admit, but it worked out fine once it got rolling.  That's a football stadium that sells out every game, it's not like they don't know how to host an event.  Missoula is a great place, it's not the town's fault if you're too shallow to see it.  I'd go see Pearl Jam anywhere, any venue.  Picky whiny fans, good lord.
    Post edited by pistol3 on
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    pistol3 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Montana is awesome place, have lived here for a few years now.  I hope they continue to play out of the way places, that way d-bags like the OP won't be there anymore, probably voted for Trump.  The line was annoying, I admit, but it worked out fine once it got rolling.  That's a football stadium that sells out every game, it's not like they don't know how to host an event.  Missoula is a great place, it's not the town's fault if you're too shallow to see it.  I'd go see Pearl Jam anywhere, any venue.  Picky whiny fans, good lord.
    Had to bring trump into a thread about a stadium pj played at and he’s the douche?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    edited August 2018
    We were there in 2012 I think.It was for the Tester vote thing. Missoula and the people were wonderful.
    This isn’t always the case for us visiting Canadians.

The show was badass even though Eddie had the flu they still played a full show.
    Honesty let Eddie go,sure he talks politics but so does Neil Young and they both play for over 3 hours.
    Very few artists spoil us this way.
    Jack White played 18 songs the other night in Vancouver and called it a show.

Hopefully no one from Missoula see this OPs post.
    PJ does this to a city look what happened in Seattle we took over .
    I think Missoula deserves a beer for having us sleep on there couch or front yard how ever you want to look at it.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• dinicondinicon Posts: 25
    Not my experience. The views are beautiful. The stadium was perfect for an outdoor smaller show; we were at the end of the line of several hundred people and got inside after 20 mins. Had plenty of drinks (too many). The people all over town are incredibly friendly. Food was great. Airport and Uber were easy. My brother and I had a trip we’ll never forget for my 30th concert.

Took this halfway up the mountain...

• i WISH i could’ve gone to Missoula, fuck the haters. hey bro, how about i buy your beer ticket to save you from the REAL songs like Even Flow?

shit like this is laughable
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • BlackCircleBlackCircle Charlotte, NC Posts: 371
    mwplum said:
    Not sure where this is coming from, but we got in within about 15 minutes (30 mins before the show started). The 10c GA was set up great, and we had fantastic views no matter where we were. The locals (of whom you’ve just completely offended) were some of the nicest and most accommodating people I’ve had the pleasure of coming across (and I’ve travelled all over the world). Frankly, I find there’s a bit of magic in these smaller towns that the band thrives on and appreciates. I’m from a city, and work downtown, so it’s nice to get out to places where you can go on a hike once the afternoon and see wildlife. Overall, I had a way better experience...enjoyed the show and town of Missoula more than I did for both MSG shows combined in 2016. NYC is overrated.
    You're my hero.
    Yes.  NYC is 100% overrated.
    I've been to NYC probably 15 times... never once impressed.   
    I'm like a tab
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    Padova, Italy, had that tokens crap too.
    Padova also had the terrible entry process described by the OP and I barely made it in for the first song there (technically I didn't get to my seat until the second).  The show itself in Padova was great and much like Missoula there's nothing wrong with the town and no need to be negative about that.  But I do think PJ management could do a better job of controlling the process at these off the beaten path venues which overall are a very cool idea.  I prefer arenas to stadiums but I'll take an 80% chance of getting tickets in a stadium over a 30% chance in an arena any day.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    dinicon said:
    Not my experience. The views are beautiful. The stadium was perfect for an outdoor smaller show; we were at the end of the line of several hundred people and got inside after 20 mins. Had plenty of drinks (too many). The people all over town are incredibly friendly. Food was great. Airport and Uber were easy. My brother and I had a trip we’ll never forget for my 30th concert.

Took this halfway up the mountain...

Looks like an awesome venue! People just like to complain because they can.
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    I have nothing but great things to say about the show, venue and the people.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 159
    pistol3 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Montana is awesome place, have lived here for a few years now.  I hope they continue to play out of the way places, that way d-bags like the OP won't be there anymore, probably voted for Trump.  The line was annoying, I admit, but it worked out fine once it got rolling.  That's a football stadium that sells out every game, it's not like they don't know how to host an event.  Missoula is a great place, it's not the town's fault if you're too shallow to see it.  I'd go see Pearl Jam anywhere, any venue.  Picky whiny fans, good lord.
    Had to bring trump into a thread about a stadium pj played at and he’s the douche?
    Uh, yeah, he is.  
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22
  • WSUFreakWSUFreak Posts: 122
    Saltzy23 said:
    WSUFreak said:
    I kinda thought it was cool you could buy beer tickets outside at the fest and just walk up and grab them inside, myself...
    Explain why step 1 is necessary in any capacity?

Saved me the time mid song/show to scan my card or wait for change???
  • Redmosquito91Redmosquito91 Jackson, WY Posts: 48
    The show, the town, the venue, and the staff were great. They aren't used to this size of an event and did a great job. Everyone was friendly. I would see PJ at this venue as many more times as the band wants to play there. Cheers to you, Missoula! Thanks for letting us take over!
    Pittsburgh 4/26/03, State College 5/3/03, Reading 10/1/04, Toledo 10/2/04, Toronto 9/19/05, Pittsburgh 9/28/05, Cleveland 5/20/06, Pittsburgh 6/23/06, Cincinnati 6/24/06, Washington D.C. 6/22/08, Cleveland 5/9/10, Pittsburgh 10/11/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, Los Angeles 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Missoula 8/13/18, Denver 9/22/22, St. Paul 8/31/23, St. Paul 9/2/23
  • theboywiltheboywil Seattle Posts: 59
    Loved the show, loved how everyone I spoke to in town was excited about the show (even if they were not or did not go).  Getting in with the 10c GA was a breeze, and there was plenty of room for dancing.  The drink tickets for cash was odd, but it meant that there was no lines to actually get drinks.

I do like seeing bands in smaller venues, but Grizzly had a 'small' massive venue feel to it, and as long as people turned up at a reasonable time felt perfect.

Well we've been a good few hours drinking
    So I'm going to say what everyone's thinking
    If we're stuck on this ship and it's sinking
    Then we might as well have a parade
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    mwplum said:
    Not sure where this is coming from, but we got in within about 15 minutes (30 mins before the show started). The 10c GA was set up great, and we had fantastic views no matter where we were. The locals (of whom you’ve just completely offended) were some of the nicest and most accommodating people I’ve had the pleasure of coming across (and I’ve travelled all over the world). Frankly, I find there’s a bit of magic in these smaller towns that the band thrives on and appreciates. I’m from a city, and work downtown, so it’s nice to get out to places where you can go on a hike once the afternoon and see wildlife. Overall, I had a way better experience...enjoyed the show and town of Missoula more than I did for both MSG shows combined in 2016. NYC is overrated.
    You're my hero.
    Yes.  NYC is 100% overrated.
    I've been to NYC probably 15 times... never once impressed.   
    This guy might disagree with you =)

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• bb4packersbb4packers Posts: 170
    We had a great overall experience in Missoula and I'd go back in a heartbeat to see a show.  The town was great, the venue was great, and it is an absolutely beautiful venue.  Short wait to get in the 10C pit and then saw a great show in a beautiful setting.  Perfect weather sure did not hurt either. 
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,872
    weremin23 said:
    Kelly Curtis and company ought to be ashamed of themselves for putting a show on in this absolute dump.

3 hour lines to get in. Lines wrapping around the stadium. No organization or order. 

Drink tickets? It’s 2018. Accept cash for beer!

Stick to major markets with actual venues who know how to run security, concessions and shows.

Not this pow dunk hillbilly town that’s the definition of flyover. 

Please tell us exactly what 3 hour time frame it took you to get in - i'd love to hear it 

Or just admit it was at most 45 minutes and the real issue was the drink tickets 

No one waited 3 hours to get in unless you're talking about GA and that line was by choice 
  • cblock77cblock77 Posts: 36
    I still have two Missoula drink tickets in my wallet and I'm not that angry. Great show.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    cblock77 said:
    I still have two Missoula drink tickets in my wallet and I'm not that angry. Great show.
    Drink tickets are the new ticket stubs. Frame 'em.
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,557
    I'm guessing the tickets were due to it being a college.  Anyone familiar with on campus football games knows they don't sell alcohol on campus.  Off campus games do however.  I imagine this was a compromise with that?  

Also I had GA 10Club and walked into the wrong gate twice, got it all sorted out and still had an hour to go before the show so the 3 hour line comment is only to get in early to get close which was exactly the same at SafeCo so I don't get it. 
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Hobbes said:
    cblock77 said:
    Drink tickets are the new ticket stubs. Frame 'em.

This is 'glass half full' mentality at work. Well done!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    Um it was beyond easy to get in. Not sure what you did differently. Had 5 beers inside before the show started and I got in around 530. 
    Same experience for me. I thought it was well organized and beers were easy (maybe too easy!!) Security and wristbands and GA access were also easy. Port o Pot? No problem. The beer ticket thing doesn’t have anything to do with the band. 
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited August 2018
    Venue was great. Sounded great.
    Dave Dickenson would be proud.  They should
    retire #10 next to his #15, if just for the poster :grin:

For those who don’t know, Dave is also a legend here in Calgary and coaches our CFL team, the Stampeders. Hall of Famer in Canada 
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765
    Venue was great. Sounded great.
    Dave Dickenson would be proud.  They should
    retire #10 next to his #15, if just for the poster :grin:
    I love a good CFL reference.  OSKEE WEE WEE!!!!!!
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    We had zero problem getting in but did see the lines.  The venue was really cool with the setting and all.  We hope they play there again....and we are not from Montana.  Not everyone has good experiences everywhere but I have been to much worse back in the anti Ticketmaster days.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula