*** Seattle, WA Fanviews Here 8/10/18 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
Pearl Jam
Safeco Field
Seattle, WA
Home Show #2
Aug 10, 2018
Set List

Walk On Music: Aye Davanita (from Vitalogy album)

Band Onstage: 8:33
Band Offstage: 11:59

Mike has two big handwritten signs that say “Save The Showbox” on his guitar rig
01. Oceans
02. Footsteps
03. Nothingman
04. Why Go
05. Brain Of J.
06. Interstellar Overdrive-(Barrett, Mason, Waters, Wright) :35 seconds
07. Corduroy
(Ed greets the audience and asks if they mind if he drinks tonight?  “Damn if this concert thing isn’t a great demonstration of our right to assemble.”  Ed thanks the Mariners for letting them use the field. The shows are centerpiece of a much larger project.  Ed said he realized they were nervous because they have never played a show that raised eleven million dollars to help the homeless.  This song goes to some old Seattle residents that might still be hiding..)
08.  Rats
09. In Hiding
10. Whipping
(Ed says he has a prediction to make, he hesitates and says he doesn’t want to talk politics. He decides to predict that country will be in worse shape if people don’t get out and vote in the mid term elections.  He also predicts that Mike will play a crazy solo because he is mad at the Showbox being threatened with being torn down.  Ed says he has seen a huge number of amazing shows there.  “This next song is called ‘Condos, do we really need more fucking condos?'”)
11. Even Flow (Mike climbs down off the stage and goes to the barricade all while soloing with the guitar behind his head. After the solo Ed starts a chant where he says “Save the …’” the audience replies "Showbox." )
12. Missing-(C. Cornell)-song was originally part of the Poncier tape that Chris made for the film ‘Singles’.  
13. Daughter / WMA / It’s Ok-(Cole) (Ed shouts “for Fred and Toody" of Dead Moon towards the end        
14. Immortality
(Introduces one of the greatest friends, father, husband, drummer Mr Matt Cameron.  Ed talks about living in the rehearsal space in the early days and finding out that he was going to have his picture in Rolling Stone magazine. He talks about going to find the magazine, Madonna was on the cover and Ed digresses with a short bit about Madonna spanking him.  The picture was there and it was Temple Of The Dog. There it was.  He showed the magazine to the proprietor of the shop.  He told the owner that it was him in the photo.  The owner though it was neat and asked if it was a bike magazine.  Ed learned perspective. “But this is a cover that really means something,” referring to Stone on the cover of Real Change)
15. I’m Open
16. Unthought Known
(We’d like to play this for all the people we’ve met at the last two women’s rallies and the people my wife met at (gun control).  Talks about the administrations lack of empathy.  Here’s to the people that march and we must keep marching.)
17. Can’t Deny Me
18. Do The Evolution
19. Lukin
20. Porch

Encore Break 1

“Good evening again”  Ed checks on the audience.  We are asking favors.  Ed asks about a sound coming from behind him.  He asks if can be turned off.  Turns out it is a train going by.
We are asking for favors from our friends.  “the last time I saw Tom Petty was right here last summer.”  It would mean a lot to me, because if he is out there, metaphysically, I just really want to get his attention.  Tom I miss you.  So you could you sing along and hold your devices with the lights.  Let’s light up the sky.  The audience complies generously. Lots of lights.)

21. I Won't Back Down-(Lynne, Petty) Crowd sings along on the chorus.  “I love you Tom”
22. Thin Air
(Ed chats about Mariners for a second)
23. All Or None
24. Better Man /Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) (contains part of verse not just “Don’t let me down / Runaway” )
25. Crown Of Thorns-(Mother Love Bone, A. Wood)
(We would like to bring out a friend of ours.  He is good friends with Randy Johnson.  He is good friends and band mates with Matt Cameron. Soundgarden Total Fucking Godhead is an understatement (Matt is wearing a shirt that says that)  Kim comes out and reveals that he is wearing the same stylized Chris Cornell shirt that Matt had been wearing on tour.)
26. Kick Out The Jams-(Davis, Kramer, Smith, Thompson, Tyner) with Kim Thayil  (Ed and Mike both kneel and bow at Kim at the end of the song)
(We dedicate this one to Sub Pop records number 30, see you on the beach tomorrow)
27. Spin The Black Circle
28. Rearviewmirror (false start) / Fernando-(ABBA)-30 seconds
(After the first lyric Ed stops playing.  Something sounds wrong to him. He knows he has played the song a lot but it didn’t seem right. His solution is to guzzle some wine.  He says that the song just sounded like..and starts singing Fernando by ABBA a cappella until Matt gives him a beat. He sings about 25 seconds of the song and says, “It didn’t sound like that?”
Well, playing in front of 40,000 of your friends can be a trip. I was tripping..”  They restart the song)
29. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 2
(Ed was driving by the stadium a few days before the show and saw so many tents.  He thought it was ironic that there was such a big homeless camp. Someone pointed out that those tents were people camping out to get front row in the pit.  Ed thinks spending two days waiting for a show is too long.  
 Ed brings out his friend and tech Simon Good.  He also introduces Boom Gasper)

30. Crazy Mary-(Williams) / Paint It Black-(Jagger, Richards) :30 riff during solo
31. Jeremy
Between songs a train rumbles by and blows its whistle.  “There’s that train again.  Do we got something louder than that train?”  Matt counts off the next song.
32. Leash
(Ed asks Kim Thayil to come out again and he asks another guitar player out.  Mr. Steve Turner.  And one of the great, great singers of Seattle so good even Ed’s brother likes him more than Ed as a singer.,. Mr. Mark Arm.  Mark notes that the introduction was awkward.)
33. Search And Destroy-(Pop, Williamson) with Mark Arm, Steve Turner and Kim Thayil
34. Sonic Reducer-(Bators, Blitz, Chrome, Magnum, Thomas, Zero) with Mark Arm, Steve Turner and Kim Thayil
35. Alive
36. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend)
(You should take a bow, thank you.  Thank you to the activists, big business and small.  It was just beyond, beyond.  Going into the elections let people know that the homeless issue is important to you.  We may be able to effect national change. There can be a plan, there will be a plan.  Just don’t give up. This is empowering.  This isn’t the time to give up, this is the time to rise up.  Thank you Seattle, thank you everyone)
37. Yellow Ledbetter

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Tagged:

Comments

• OceanInDisguise13OceanInDisguise13 Behind the sun Posts: 919
    This was one amazing show and as close to my dream setlist as it gets!!!

Had a fantastic time. The energy was unreal and crowd was awesome!!!

Thank you PJ!!!
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • lb194468lb194468 Posts: 84
    37 songs , tags galore , new covers and guests, some kind of amazing new standard ⭐️
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 280
    That was fucking outstanding in literally every way.
    09/04/93 * 07/19/98 * 11/05/00 * 05/30/03 * 09/02/05 * 09/04/05 * 09/05/05 * 09/07/05 * 07/21/06 * 07/22/06 * 04/02/08 (eV) * 04/03/08 (eV) * 09/21/09 * 09/22/09 * 09/25/09 * 07/15/11 (eV) * 09/25/11 * 12/04/13 * 08/10/18 * 05/04/24 * 05/06/24
  • Phenomenal show! The crowd doing “oh ohs” during Why Go to everybody singing top of their lungs during Jeremy to Mark Arm and Kim Thyall.  Some songs were tight, some songs were sloppy, just like a good rock and roll show should be. We all come for Ed, we stay for stuff like Mike’s immortality solo, awesome stone riffs, Jeff during RVM breakdown, Crazy Mary Mike abd boom! Matt killing drums at the end of Immortality! Great time, great city, great show! Greatest live band ever! Thanks for having us Seattle and Pearl Jam!
  • booboolisciousboobooliscious Hebron, KY Posts: 253
    Worth the 2 days wait in the sun.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,838
    I wonder if we’ll get a Home / Away shows box set just like the Gorge Box from 05/06!? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • go prego pre Posts: 642
    Really good show. Hope the woman who collapsed near me in the pit is OK.

Highlights for me were All or None and getting one of Mike's picks over on Stone's side.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Gawddamm awesome
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Epic ! 
    Thanks Sea! 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mr_perfectmr_perfect Posts: 144
    out of 12 shows ive seen (in 25 years) this is easily in the  top 2

my 10c reserved seats were in section H row 2. not sure how they came up with the seat assignment as there was a lot of grumbling around me but i couldnt complain as i could see the stage perfectly. apparently the middle sections were all family and friends 10 rows deep.

highlight was kim thaiyal coming out wearing the cornell shirt as i never got that chance to see soundgarden and mother fn leash for the first time

ed kept mentioning a train but there was another concert at clink going on (alice in wonderland?) and we kept hearing the bass booming in between songs

saw on twitter what was going on with the hijacked plane. scary shit with nearly 2 full stadiums

thx again to the 10c and the band.

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Holy shitballs that was amazing!!  I love Pearl Jam but nights like tonight.   Holy shit.   They came out swinging for a home run.  What a great night.   Has to be the best Seattle (area) show i've seen since Gorge 05.   Maybe the best show i've seen since then.  Damn it was good.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Good times!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    RyGuy said:
    That was fucking outstanding in literally every way.
    I completely agree. Great night.
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 555
    Can’t wait to hear Missing on the boot; Ed’s vocal at the end was amazing! Mike on Immortality... first set was so good!!!
  • hipfan1hipfan1 Posts: 37
    Now that was a Pearl Jam show! Unbelievable! Great energy, lots of great cuts...the opening songs were epic and after the first 2 were done I could have gone home happy right there! Oceans, Footsteps! My jaw was pretty much on the floor after that. Leash was another huge surprise. Still would have loved some more tunes from No Code and anything from Avacado, but I'm not complaining....3.5 hrs of PJ was exactly what I was hoping for from the home shows! Thanks for an amazing night PJ!
  • Best show I’ve seen them do in 22 attempts.  Wow.
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Zod said:
    Holy shitballs that was amazing!!  I love Pearl Jam but nights like tonight.   Holy shit.   They came out swinging for a home run.  What a great night.   Has to be the best Seattle (area) show i've seen since Gorge 05.   Maybe the best show i've seen since then.  Damn it was good.
    Holy shitballs! I've been trying to process this night and how to answer the how was the show question now I have my answer! Met great people at the shows and Mopop. Enjoyed seeing Seattle then--this show!  THANK YOU PEARL JAM!!!

• seen em at: 08/31/98 - Raleigh : 05/10/00 - Mnt Baker Theatre, Wa : 11/02/00 - PDX  : 11/05/00 & 11/06/00 - SEA : 4/3/03 - OKC : 10/03/04 - Grand Rapids : 05/03/10 - KC : 11/15/13 - Dallas : 11/16/13 - OKC  : 10/09/14 - Tulsa : 11/20/2016 - ToTD Seattle : 08/10/2018 - SEA : 09/20/2022 - OKC
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    That had to have been amazing. Well done. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
  • William RaeWilliam Rae Posts: 89
    edited August 2018
    https://imgur.com/gallery/DqXBJSW

Fixed link so there is sound now
    Post edited by William Rae on
    seen em at: 08/31/98 - Raleigh : 05/10/00 - Mnt Baker Theatre, Wa : 11/02/00 - PDX  : 11/05/00 & 11/06/00 - SEA : 4/3/03 - OKC : 10/03/04 - Grand Rapids : 05/03/10 - KC : 11/15/13 - Dallas : 11/16/13 - OKC  : 10/09/14 - Tulsa : 11/20/2016 - ToTD Seattle : 08/10/2018 - SEA : 09/20/2022 - OKC
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    edited August 2018
    Stunning setlist. Can't wait to see what they bring for Fenway II
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I wonder if we’ll get a Home / Away shows box set just like the Gorge Box from 05/06!? 
    That would be a great way to raise money for the cause
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I don't have the words to describe tonight. Mike was incendiary, Stone was killing it, Jeff was in great spirits, Matt was in top form, Boom was having a blast and Ed gave it his all.

Never in my life thought I'd get to hear Sonic Reducer, Leash, Oceans, Footsteps,  and Rats in the same concert.

This week has been special, and thanks to the people of Seattle for hosting all of the travelers.

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    Night two the clear winner. Happy fir everyone in attendance 
  • MG182478MG182478 Cleveland, Ohio Posts: 27
    Holy Moly, Seattle. You guys got some shows. Wow!
    1994 : Cleveland
    1995 : Chicago
    1996 : Toronto, Buffalo
    1998 : East Troy x2, East Lansing, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh, Cuyahoga Falls
    2000 : Columbus, Pittsburgh, Auburn Hills
    2003 : Cleveland
    2004 : Toledo
    2005 : Toronto
    2006 : Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati
    2010 : Cleveland
    2013 : Buffalo
    2014 : Detroit
    2016 : Tampa, Wrigley 
    2018 : Wrigley 
    2022 : Chicago (EV & The Earthlings)
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    Can’t wait to hear Missing on the boot; Ed’s vocal at the end was amazing! Mike on Immortality... first set was so good!!!
    Just watched a good video of it. Ed nailed it.
    So did the rest of the band of course but they’ve played it before
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    oh my god
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Wow!!!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • aidt17aidt17 Posts: 610
    E  pic
    P  eriod.
    I
    C
    Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2