You can’t screenshot ticket

2»

Comments

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    You also can't drink alcohol before you're 21.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I hate everyone 
  • mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    Confirmed: they were just scanning folks as I expected... not demanding wallet proof. Screenshots will work FINE.

this doesn’t matter to me as the GF and I will be using both our tickets, but I know many folks had issues with transfers and were at risk of having fans getting locked out of shows. That looks to be not a concern. 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    edited August 2018
    Confirmed: they were just scanning folks as I expected... not demanding wallet proof. Screenshots will work FINE.

this doesn’t matter to me as the GF and I will be using both our tickets, but I know many folks had issues with transfers and were at risk of having fans getting locked out of shows. That looks to be not a concern. 
    No one has actually confirmed that a screenshot worked. And, putting tickets in a "wallet" was never required.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Great, so this whole electronic ticket thing and the "restriction" of transferring only 1 ticket is nonsense.
  • mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    edited August 2018
    RP112579 said:

No one has actually confirmed that a screenshot worked. And, putting tickets in a "wallet" was never required.
    I have seen multiple instances of screen shots working across Facebook groups, and everyone has said they simply scanned tickets without asking to verify they’re not just a screen shot. 

As someone who’s worked in app development, i assure you There is zero technical reason a screen shot wouldn’t work when scanned. The only way a screen grab user could be denied is if they physically swipe to verify the source of the image on the screen, which they are reportedly not doing. 

Furthermore they were apparently directing 10C folks to use non 10C gates due to crowds. 
    Post edited by mattsavard on
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited August 2018
    Horse2345 said:
    Mac57 said:
    I went to a Bruce show 8 yrs ago at the IZOD with Credit Card entry. Swiped the card and the scanner printed out two little ticket stubs with info.
    Why not same thing here?
    See U2 Vancouver fiasco

This is my apprehension. I was there for this debacle. We got lucky and got in early despite arriving late- we got swept into a chunk of line that was actually headed in the right direction.

It was chaos.
    It really was - I thought there might be a riot at one point, lol. Venues really need to figure out these new ticketing methods - staff seem woefully unprepared and untrained at way too many venues, and signage seems lacking. It's really surprising. It's almost like the staff at these venues are surprised by large crowds at high demand shows.
    It's too bad the entry last night was a mess for some people - and things like this always seem to much worse when it's this hot out.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    I hate everyone 
    :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    It would be possible to have qr codes that change every minute or so. I remember some citys public transport ticket app kept changing the image. But if the original image dont change, there is no reason for the screenshot to not work 
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,946
    Yah.. currently there's no mechanism's in place to differentiate a screenshot from the genuine thing.   Not without slowing down every interaction with the ticket person.  They just scan and let you through (just like with real tickets).    This system could end up being more ripe for abuse than the old one :(
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    edited August 2018
    Zod said:
    Yah.. currently there's no mechanism's in place to differentiate a screenshot from the genuine thing.   Not without slowing down every interaction with the ticket person.  They just scan and let you through (just like with real tickets).    This system could end up being more ripe for abuse than the old one :(
    but....even if screenshoted the scanner won't let a duplicate through

Edit: I guess if you screenshot your GA ticket to multiple people that could be a problem
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • rlaidepeasrlaidepeas St. Louis, MO Posts: 305
    RP112579 said:

I have seen multiple instances of screen shots working across Facebook groups, and everyone has said they simply scanned tickets without asking to verify they’re not just a screen shot. 

As someone who’s worked in app development, i assure you There is zero technical reason a screen shot wouldn’t work when scanned. The only way a screen grab user could be denied is if they physically swipe to verify the source of the image on the screen, which they are reportedly not doing. 

Furthermore they were apparently directing 10C folks to use non 10C gates due to crowds. 

I will say this.  McDonald's has an app that has daily coupons that use a QR barcode.  I attempted to screen shot one of the codes in hopes that I could use the deal more than once.  (Yes fraud, shhh)  When they went to scan it, the cashier said a message stated the deal is not valid.  I played dumb and pulled up the real deal and on the app (just in case my scan didn't work) and sure enough, the real deal scanned as expected.

This reason I bring this up is that it tells me there is software available that can distinguish between legit QA codes and screen shotted copies.  However, that doesn't mean that they have the technology at these concerts.  Based on Seattle night 1, they do not. 

• rlaidepeasrlaidepeas St. Louis, MO Posts: 305
    mrk2 said:
    It would be possible to have qr codes that change every minute or so. I remember some citys public transport ticket app kept changing the image. But if the original image dont change, there is no reason for the screenshot to not work 

Very interesting.  Perhaps that is what happened with the McDonald's app - I didn't check to make sure the code was the same. 
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    Zod said:

Edit: I guess if you screenshot your GA ticket to multiple people that could be a problem

A screenshotted ticket to multiple people would have the same effect as a PDF printed 20 times.

The first one is the lucky one. The rest? Well...
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Zod said:

It's a fancier method of the old school stubbing down technique that's been happening at jamband shows doe years.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • superj72superj72 Posts: 129
    Let's put this to bed. 12 of us, arriving in 4 separate groups all used screenshots to get in to Seattle N1 last night. That included Ticketmaster verified, fan club reserved and fan club GA tickets. Zero issues for anyone. Zero.

Screenshots are fine. 
    superj72 said:
    Let's put this to bed. 12 of us, arriving in 4 separate groups all used screenshots to get in to Seattle N1 last night. That included Ticketmaster verified, fan club reserved and fan club GA tickets. Zero issues for anyone. Zero.

Screenshots are fine. 
    except for when they aren't....I used screenshots in Noblesville for the STP concert and the usher at the pavilion entrance touched my screen to see if it was ticketmaster or screen. 

It's just going to depend

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • superj72superj72 Posts: 129
    superj72 said:

Screenshots are fine. 
    except for when they aren't....I used screenshots in Noblesville for the STP concert and the usher at the pavilion entrance touched my screen to see if it was ticketmaster or screen. 

Then on to the next gate... ours were clearly screenshots. Someone scanning 1,000 tickets isn't going to give a damn. Except for that one person (cause there is always one). But you wont be detained and they cant force you to delete a screenshot and there are 100 other people scanning a thousand other tickets, so...

Screenshots work.
    superj72 said:
    superj72 said:

Screenshots are fine. 

Then on to the next gate... ours were clearly screenshots. Someone scanning 1,000 tickets isn't going to give a damn. Except for that one person (cause there is always one). But you wont be detained and they cant force you to delete a screenshot and there are 100 other people scanning a thousand other tickets, so...

Screenshots work.
    I'm talking past the initial gate.  An usher who checks your ticket and won't accept a screen shot.  There were some of these reported last night and I just told you it happened to me in Noblesville.

They work....sometimes

• SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    Stay tuned for the sequel to this thread:  "I took a screenshot of my ticket and couldn't get in"
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .