U.S. health officials remind people that condoms should not be reused

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Reusing a condom?  Give new meaning to the words "cheap" and "stupid".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Someone should remind our president you just never know if he’s aware of it ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • ratmandoratmando Moss Beach, CA Posts: 344
    note....to...self......bring NEW condoms to ..... Seattle....Just in ......case.
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

Henry David Thoreau
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    This is what happens when education - specifically sex education - is under-funded, under-staffed, under-taught, and under-supplied.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    This is what happens when education - specifically sex education - is under-funded, under-staffed, under-taught, and under-supplied.
    No it’s what happens when the idiots are breeding more than the educated.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    I heard this topic discussed on the Breakfast Club this morning.

What is wrong with people?!?
    Key word: idiots.  Lack of education.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Key word: idiots.  Lack of education.
    Nah they can’t grasp it anyhow. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    If it’s a problem enough that it has to be said on a federal/national level, it’s beyond just the fringe group of extreme careless, reckless idiots that behave that way. That is a direct result of lack of education and funding for proper sexual health practices. People don’t just become idiots for no reason. They’re idiots because they’re not taught. They’re not taught because education is malfunded.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    If it’s a problem enough that it has to be said on a federal/national level, it’s beyond just the fringe group of extreme careless, reckless idiots that behave that way. That is a direct result of lack of education and funding for proper sexual health practices. People don’t just become idiots for no reason. They’re idiots because they’re not taught. They’re not taught because education is malfunded.

Yes, though it's not just a funding issue; it's a deliberate refusal to allow sexual health to be taught. Too many people still believe that the best teachers of sex education are parents, which is total bullshit - far too many parents completely abdicate this responsibility, due to a combination of embarrassment and lack of knowledge themselves, while others stick with completely unrealistic and unhelpful approaches derived from religious traditions. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

Say what?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,705
    But they are educated  enough to use one in the first place . Just makes this more bizarre. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    This has nothing to do with someone being educated or not ... this is just being cheap...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Land of free and dumb

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianlux said:

Say what?

Everytime Ally Sheedy crosses my mind, and I realise that I will never have her - I get a small panic attack.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    This has nothing to do with someone being educated or not ... this is just being cheap...
    Agreed. My first thought was "Wow, that is taking cheapness to a brand new level."
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

Yes, though it's not just a funding issue; it's a deliberate refusal to allow sexual health to be taught. Too many people still believe that the best teachers of sex education are parents, which is total bullshit - far too many parents completely abdicate this responsibility, due to a combination of embarrassment and lack of knowledge themselves, while others stick with completely unrealistic and unhelpful approaches derived from religious traditions. 
    All great points as well!
    It has a lot to do with education.  And yes, cheapness is a factor as well.  But it certainly doesn't have "nothing" to do with education.  If people are unaware they can't reuse condoms, they obviously haven't been educated enough to care about their proper use or the expensive, unhealthy long-terms risks of reuse.
    edited August 2018
    It has a lot to do with education.  And yes, cheapness is a factor as well.  But it certainly doesn't have "nothing" to do with education.  If people are unaware they can't reuse condoms, they obviously haven't been educated enough to care about their proper use or the expensive, unhealthy long-terms risks of reuse.
    It says right on the packaging and instructions that they shouldn't be reused though.... I don't feel like those who do this are any more likely to listen to this lesson in school than they are to follow the instructions that come with the condoms. Some people are just morons and do stupid shit like this even after they know they aren't supposed to. I think most people doing this probably fall into that category. I mean come on. It's really obvious that they are a single use product. These are the same people who will reuse cottonballs, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Well, obviously it's not obvious.  Otherwise we wouldn't need a national discussion on it.
    edited August 2018
    Well, obviously it's not obvious.  Otherwise we wouldn't need a national discussion on it.
    Oh? I guess I just disagree with the idea that a lot of people don't do really obviously stupid things. I do think it's obvious and these fools are doing it anyhow. I mean, it's pretty damn obvious that you're not supposed to eat laundry detergent too, yet there was still a national discussion about that, right? I believe the people who do dumb shit like reuse condoms and eat Tide Pods for fun will do that shit even if they attend classes about how they aren't supposed to do dumb shit like that. They will still think, "oh man, I could save $10, I'm going to just wash these condom and use them again - it says I shouldn't, but I'm not going to listen to that - I think it'll work for me, the people telling you not to do this are just being overly cautious." This is how some people operate man. A LOT of people just don't trust warnings to not do things. They think the "powers that be" make too many rules that really don't need to be followed.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I call bullshit on this entire thing
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    my2hands said:
    Me too.  Two idiots probably uploaded something on youtube lol.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    my2hands said:
    :lol: You think people aren't even really doing it? It's like the prophylactic version of #walkaway. ;)
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I wouldn't doubt for a minute people do this ...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Guys running trains on chick probably share condoms no lol 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Guys running trains on chick probably share condoms no lol 

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Guys running trains on chick probably share condoms no lol 
    No you didn't Jose! :lol:
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited August 2018
    I suppose the next national conversation will be on how you shouldn't reuse tampons.
    It's a hopeless situation...