I Still Need to Book a Hotel for Wrigley. Don't Judge, HELP!

2»

Comments

• BeeGirl86BeeGirl86 Pittsburgh Posts: 169
    BeeGirl86 said:
    In 2016 we just went out after the show and took an Uber to our hotel after which is what we plan to do this year as well. I try to avoid the trains and just find taking an Uber easier. I just don't want the Uber ride to end up being 20 miles or something ridiculous. 
    ...or in a sketchy neighborhood more so.
    I miss you alreddie.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    BeeGirl86 said:
    BeeGirl86 said:
    In 2016 we just went out after the show and took an Uber to our hotel after which is what we plan to do this year as well. I try to avoid the trains and just find taking an Uber easier. I just don't want the Uber ride to end up being 20 miles or something ridiculous. 
    ...or in a sketchy neighborhood more so.
    There would be no reason for you to be in a sketchy neighborhood for Wrigley though, assuming you don't want your hotel to be in one.
    I think taking public transit after a show can be a really fun part of the concert experience. :) There is always a vibe on the train, everyone there has just shared an experience and they're on a high from it. Fun times.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    KC138045 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    KS80184 said:
    The Loop is Chicago's central business district.  It's sort of empty on the weekends and at night, but you can either cab or Uber/Lyft it to a hotel down there and be totally fine or take the red line.  It's maybe $20-30 or so to take a cab/uber.  The red line train can get a little sketchy, but with such a big show emptying out, I have to imagine trains will be very busy so you're probably fine especially if you're getting off by the Jackson stop (southern most- after that, it's going to get to have a lot fewer people and go to worse parts of the city). I wouldn't take the red line at 2am if you go to a bar after the show though and would only do cab/uber.  
    KS80184 said:
    Also- don't try to drive to the show.  It's a mess trying to park up there. Take a cab/uber or the red line.  Red line exits right at the stadium.
    Thanks for this info.  I plan on taking the redline to Wrigley both nights but probably Uber back to the Hotel.  Should there be any issue getting an Uber with that many people trying to leave at the same time?
    Maybe... Taking the train back after the show is still a good option too, so if you get a long wait time on the Uber app, you could just take the train instead.
    Thanks!!
    :) Chicago makes it pretty easy along the red line - if you play it by ear/go with the flow, you should be just fine. :)
    I still have nightmares from the train ride after the 2013 show lol

What a cluster fuck that was!
    Me too.......we walked to the next station towards the loop, and had to squeeze our way in to the already overcrowded train.  We finally got to our hotel room after 4am.    Ahhh, the memories!

Don't mean to be a gloomy Gus, but with 40,000 people leaving at the same time, it will take some time to get a train, Uber or taxi.

Be prepared!
  • KS80184KS80184 Posts: 385
    Suziemay said:
    on2legs said:
    The 2013 train scene was a nightmare.  
    You know, I keep hearing this and honestly it was not an issue for me. But I wonder if it's because I stopped by Subway and 7 Eleven and sat on the sidewalk and wolfed everything down, THEN I got on the train...
    I had forgotten about this until reading the thread, but I walked 1.5 miles home because trains were so bad that night in 2013,
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,291
    Hotwire a hotel.  I reserved an Airbnb a short walk from Wrigley for the Saturday show
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    FYI I just canceled my reservation for a king room at the Whitehall Hotel because I found a slightly better deal at another hotel.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • You can walk a few blocks from Wrigley and catch the train at a different stop.  I did that in 2013.  Avoided the crowds, but still had to wait.  The waiting, it really was the hardest part...  ;)  So memorable, though!
  • BeeGirl86BeeGirl86 Pittsburgh Posts: 169
    Anyone know anything about the Write Inn hotel in Oak Park!? Seems to be a good deal possibly!?
    I miss you alreddie.